Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
forthelaxofit

Re: Recruiting

Post by forthelaxofit »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 3:53 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:29 am For those saying KT alleged affair wouldn’t impact recruiting For the first time that I can remember, cuse wlax has posted an open tryout When my kids were being recruited you could only dream of the chance Now they’re taking walk ons Very telling
This is super strange!
Any idea the format? Will the roster players be there also to practice against? Or just the players trying out? Curious how many interested players will show up?
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

forthelaxofit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:26 pm
Idontknowtherules wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:29 am For those saying KT alleged affair wouldn’t impact recruiting For the first time that I can remember, cuse wlax has posted an open tryout When my kids were being recruited you could only dream of the chance Now they’re taking walk ons Very telling
This is super strange!
Any idea the format? Will the roster players be there also to practice against? Or just the players trying out? Curious how many interested players will show up?
No idea. Crazy they are having open tryouts. I’m surprised the third YJ girl hasn’t announced that she left yet. Figured she would’ve left already.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Last 2 cycles, the KT effect has been real in recruiting. in the best way positive. CUSE was cool again. Next month should tell the whole story. So far, not hearing alot of positives in terms of top targets. We shall see
McLax9777

Post by McLax9777 »

Deacon022 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 8:18 pm
This is super strange!
No idea. Crazy they are having open tryouts. I’m surprised the third YJ girl hasn’t announced that she left yet. Figured she would’ve left already.
Maybe she’s happy where she is.
UpDownLax

Post by UpDownLax »

I know a girl from our home town that tried out last year, yes before the alleged off field shenanigans. She said there were five girls that tried out to be walk-ons (basically practice players). More of less there was a run test, overall fitness test and if you passed those two, you were invited to a fall practice. Only two girls were kept last year, a freshman goalie and a grad middie that had lower D1 experience. The girl from our town didn’t make it but was happy she gave it a shot so she wouldn’t wonder what if. I texted her dad today to she if she was giving it another shot and he said she left her stick behind this fall.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

UpDownLax wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 10:14 pm
I know a girl from our home town that tried out last year, yes before the alleged off field shenanigans. She said there were five girls that tried out to be walk-ons (basically practice players). More of less there was a run test, overall fitness test and if you passed those two, you were invited to a fall practice. Only two girls were kept last year, a freshman goalie and a grad middie that had lower D1 experience. The girl from our town didn’t make it but was happy she gave it a shot so she wouldn’t wonder what if. I texted her dad today to she if she was giving it another shot and he said she left her stick behind this fall.
the cuse men's team has had plenty of walk on players on the team for years, don't know about with gait as the coach.
uva's men's team always has walk ons on it.

both with tryouts.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:06 pm Last 2 cycles, the KT effect has been real in recruiting. in the best way positive. CUSE was cool again. Next month should tell the whole story. So far, not hearing alot of positives in terms of top targets. We shall see
What's interesting is that the 2025 class is a bit of a down year in upstate NY with a ton of talent in MD, PA and Long Island.

I think Cuse will do better than expected, mainly because I think lots of Long Island girls who want to stay closer to home won't be looking at Stony and may end up at Cuse. My guess is Cuse doesn't get many top 20 players, but get more than their share of top 100 players.

I think their best shot at a top 20 players is the Top Guns goalie. Also, Aces have a couple of top 50ish attackers. Would expect Cuse to get at least one if not both of them.
HighCradle

Post by HighCradle »

LaxDadMax wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:49 am
Kleizaster wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 9:06 pm Last 2 cycles, the KT effect has been real in recruiting. in the best way positive. CUSE was cool again. Next month should tell the whole story. So far, not hearing alot of positives in terms of top targets. We shall see
What's interesting is that the 2025 class is a bit of a down year in upstate NY with a ton of talent in MD, PA and Long Island.

I think Cuse will do better than expected, mainly because I think lots of Long Island girls who want to stay closer to home won't be looking at Stony and may end up at Cuse. My guess is Cuse doesn't get many top 20 players, but get more than their share of top 100 players.

I think their best shot at a top 20 players is the Top Guns goalie. Also, Aces have a couple of top 50ish attackers. Would expect Cuse to get at least one if not both of them.
They had about 8-10 girls in the top recruit group together for the drill portion of their prospect day this past weekend. Included an Aces mid and attack, both top recruits. In addition to those two, I would expect Cuse to be able to get one of the M&D girls in attendance as well.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Good luck to everyone waiting for calls/texts this weekend. Best of luck to all involved. Feel free to DM if there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to bounce ideas or vent to someone who's been through this three times

For me, I get this year off until my last recruiting cycle next year.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:09 am Good luck to everyone waiting for calls/texts this weekend. Best of luck to all involved. Feel free to DM if there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to bounce ideas or vent to someone who's been through this three times

This weekend will be fun for the girls. Then the next few weeks will be stressful. Hard to do, but hopefully all involved can do their best and not worry about where others end up. Good luck if you're deep in it this year!
Wamp1

Post by Wamp1 »

I remember this weekend well last year! So many anxious feelings. Let your daughter handle the conversations with coaches, have her ask lots of questions and follow up with a note thanking the coach for their interest! If the school on the top of your list didn't reach out, send them a note to find out where you stand. If someone shows interest that was way off your radar but is a compelling opportunity, ask if you can come for a visit in the next few weeks! Watch practice, have your daughter spend some time with the team. Enjoy the ride! I get to do it again in 4 years with the youngest. Can't wait!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:48 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:09 am Good luck to everyone waiting for calls/texts this weekend. Best of luck to all involved. Feel free to DM if there is anything I can do to help or if you just need to bounce ideas or vent to someone who's been through this three times

This weekend will be fun for the girls. Then the next few weeks will be stressful. Hard to do, but hopefully all involved can do their best and not worry about where others end up. Good luck if you're deep in it this year!

Just realized that 9/1 is a Sunday. Makes it easier for girls to stay up late and wait for calls/texts.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 11:39 am
spidey44 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:48 am

Just realized that 9/1 is a Sunday. Makes it easier for girls to stay up late and wait for calls/texts.
Not to mention talk with coaches. My daughter had to use the teachers lounge for a few of her calls last year lol.
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

QQ: Is it just the top 100-ish recruits who get contacted in 9/1? Or is it pretty widespread (as in, all ~127 D1 programs are doing some outreach - whether that is text or email)?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bluecollar wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:01 pm QQ: Is it just the top 100-ish recruits who get contacted in 9/1? Or is it pretty widespread (as in, all ~127 D1 programs are doing some outreach - whether that is text or email)?
Pretty much all top 100 lax programs are contacting between 30-80 recruits on 9/1

Now some programs will have much more urgency than others and some may not make many offers in case a top recruits falls through the cracks of top 40 programs.

the first 3 weekends of September almost every D1 lax program will have multiple recruiting weekends with probably 25-30 girls on campus across all three weekends.
Wamp1

Post by Wamp1 »

Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Cathy Reese's daughter is a lock for Maryland..right?

Rassas is a lock for ND. The fighting Irish looking to have a strong team in a few years
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 2:18 pm Cathy Reese's daughter is a lock for Maryland..right?

Rassas is a lock for ND. The fighting Irish looking to have a strong team in a few years
Yes and Yes.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Wamp1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 1:43 pm Agreed. This was our experience last year. The 7 schools that reached out to us on 9/1 were ranked between 30-80. Just be aware that most of these schools are casting a wide net on prospects just like most of our girls did in sending emails all Spring / Summer. Don't fall in love with the BEST school that reaches out right away. Rejection is part of the process. Lucky to have gotten multiple offers. Although there are 127 D1 schools, spots are not unlimited. Ask how many they are recruiting at your position. Most schools take 8-10 players total per class. Thrilled for where my daughter ended up! Best of luck!
Out of curiosity, how many of those 7 did your daughter actively reach out to?
laxin305

Post by laxin305 »

Two years, two coaches daughters picked by IL Women as #1. Hummmmmm

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”