Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... is-season/

All 7 home games are either on ESPN3 or ESPNU. Additionally, our road game at Rutgers is on ESPNU. So that's 8/13 games accounted for.

Road trip to Delaware will be streamed on LSN. 9/13.

That leaves trips to Loyola, Princeton, Navy, and Ohio State.

Game @ OSU will most likely be on Big Ten Network. Games against our two Patriot League opponents should be on Patriot League Network.

That leaves only the game at Princeton unaccounted for. It may end up as an ESPN+ (subscription) game, which I believe it was last year.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:16 pm https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-rele ... is-season/

All 7 home games are either on ESPN3 or ESPNU. Additionally, our road game at Rutgers is on ESPNU. So that's 8/13 games accounted for.

Road trip to Delaware will be streamed on LSN. 9/13.

That leaves trips to Loyola, Princeton, Navy, and Ohio State.

Game @ OSU will most likely be on Big Ten Network. Games against our two Patriot League opponents should be on Patriot League Network.

That leaves only the game at Princeton unaccounted for. It may end up as an ESPN+ (subscription) game, which I believe it was last year.
Interesting that the Rutgers game is on ESPNU...shouldn't that been a B1G game? Gotta imagine the OSU game will be on B1G, Loyola was streamed on Facebook Live the last time they played there, Navy games are usually broadcast on CBS Sports and the Princeton game in the past has been on one of the regional cable stations - like TSN or the like
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:59 pm Petro interview

https://glennclarkradio.com/archives/

About the 45min mark
Thanks for posting the link!

Very encouraging interview. Sounds like there is renewed energy and focus this season. Forry is a terrific team leader, and I suspect Joey Epstein’s work ethic is catching on with the team. Great to hear about the improved “chemistry” on defense.

I’m looking forward to this season!

Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

For the scrimmage Saturday at 1:00, the current forecast is 40s, cloudy, but probably without rain.
A few years ago they played a regular season game in the snow in the football stadium.
Would a scrimmage likely also be in the football stadium?

P.S. Villanova folks were great hosts.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My reaction to the radio interview:
- I don't think he did alot of throwing under the bus. He said last year's defense did not have great "chemistry" and he said this group is doing more out of practice implying that other recent versions maybe didn't - fairly tame. He certainly, however, did not say "Put all this on me" which perhaps he should have led with except "peer driven" appears to be the 2020 theme along with "competition" and "accountability".
- I don't believe he admitted that he switched Virginia out for Navy just because Virginia is a better team/program. I can never keep up with the criteria but isn't it possible even plausible that a loss to UVA jacks up your RPI better than a win over Navy IF Navy were to struggle? I heard him say he made a commitment to get Navy back on the schedule - Navy had to be on a week-end because of Navy's Patriot league commitments and he didn't want to play UVA mid-week - probably UVA didn't want to play mid week either.
- A 16 goal DeSimone is obviously better than a 4 goal DeSimone - it's pretty clear the object of the game is get him back to form where he is scoring some goals and they are doing everything to boost his confidence
- I will agree with fla.. on one thing - the most frustrating thing about these pre-season interviews is the somewhat revelation-ish portrayal of these concepts from year to year - open competition - accountability - these seem like big time program 101 to me

Oh well - he appears very fired up for this team - I hope he's right and they have a decent season. Epstein needs to be able to play soon and like his old self.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

JJ_Lax wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:42 am
JJ_Lax wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm Hopkins has not had legacy admissions since at least 2014. I applied in 2014 and the Common App had a check box for something like “Did a family member attend JHU?” and underneath it was a disclaimer that said “JHU does not take legacy into account for admissions.”

My guess is that Hopkins quietly ended legacy admissions and didn’t make a public fanfare about it until they were sure Bloomberg would make a huge commitment. So now it doesn’t matter if alumni decide to rescind their support.
Would be a little skeptical about that “disclaimer”. Every year I “disclaim” to my wife my addiction to watching Notre Dame football and Johns Hopkins lacrosse. She remains skeptical.

Just sayin’ ....

DocBarrister :?
I think the disclaimer didn’t really register for a lot of us as the end to legacy admissions. I read it at the time as a non-discrimination statement of some kind.

I found this interview on NPR with the Vice Provost of admissions and financial aid: “In 2014, the school decided to end so-called legacy admissions. Now they say they've been able to see the effects of that change.”

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/25/79947071 ... admissions
I love their attitude. The alumni who have faithfully donated for years now get to help other peoples kids attend their alma mater. So considerate. Thanks for throwing us poor fools under the bus. Thanks Ron Daniels for wrecking our lacrosse program and our University. Thank you so much. And all for what? To get a higher ranking in a magazine's polls. Hey Ron, they're in business.. They're trying to sell magazines. It's a business Ron.
Don't and I repeat DON'T CALL US or email us asking for money anymore. I'd rather burn it than give it to Johns Hopkins. Really.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 am Thanks Ron Daniels for wrecking our lacrosse program
This again? :lol:

Anyway—I'll officially be at tomorrow's scrimmage. Will try to keep tabs on the most obvious questions (goalie, close D, third attack, etc.) but let me know if there's anything else you guys are interested in knowing. Hopefully it's not so cold that I can type on my phone.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:42 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:34 am Thanks Ron Daniels for wrecking our lacrosse program

Anyway—I'll officially be at tomorrow's scrimmage. Will try to keep tabs on the most obvious questions (goalie, close D, third attack, etc.) but let me know if there's anything else you guys are interested in knowing. Hopefully it's not so cold that I can type on my phone.
Please examine Epstein’s knee
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ha. Daniels arrived in Spring 2009. The demise of the program starts in exactly that season. Pretty strong correlation there.
For those who are statistically challenged, the probability that those events are uncorrelated is about 1% or so.
Translation, there's a 99% probability that Daniels has had a negative impact on the lax program.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:26 am Ha. Daniels arrived in Spring 2009. The demise of the program starts in exactly that season. Pretty strong correlation there.
Please be kidding.
flalax22 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:10 am Please examine Epstein’s knee
Will bring my portable MRI machine
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

16, would you mind taking some notes down for the middies as well? They seem to be my personal question marks for initiators on Hopkins's offense in case Epstein/Williams/Smith gets shut down in a game, or in one suffers an injury (pray that neither of them do). I wanna see who among the middies can initiate and create scoring chances for others whether that be step downs or quick sticks in front of the goals after an off ball flash.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Why is the assumption JHU ended the VA series?? With different conferences and schedules etc it may have been VA that didn’t want to continue.

No doubt in my mind Pres. Was a factor in the program. His arrival also negated the advantage of having Schnydman as Exec Asst. It ended the active participation of the Presdent going back to at least Eisenhower. I am guessing he is the least accessible President since then as well. TBF it is also true the university has become far more complex.

If JHU was the decider on the VA game it makes sense as well. I don’t understand why anyone thinks the only factor bearing on who is on or off the schedule is game. It isn’t. There are significant factors aside esp with Navy.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

If you want to say we haven’t put enough emphasis on goalie recruiting well ok. But if you think Petro is not going to put the best team he can on the field to win a game...... and his judgment is better than yours so try looking at other factors for your answer
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:02 am If you want to say we haven’t put enough emphasis on goalie recruiting well ok. But if you think Petro is not going to put the best team he can on the field to win a game...... and his judgment is better than yours so try looking at other factors for your answer
I think his loyalty to guys that have seen the field has at times made poor playing time decisions. I can give you numerous examples but if Zinn has the season we are expecting. He didn’t just get that good this fall. His own words were opening up the competition for jobs. Why was that competition ever closed?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Yeah. Film the whole damn thing and put it on YouTube.

Maybe Villanova doesn’t have paranoid goons like Hopkins.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'16 - FWIW - I don't think you likely get a real handle on 3rd attack because there is less than zero chance they put Epstein out there even if he could go. So you'll see the mix of Smith/Angelus/Murphy/Degnon most likely and it will be hard to pick the favorite I might imagine.
What I didn't a great sense of last week was the LSM position behind Reinson - that might be something you would get a feel for one week removed from real bullets.
Overall - I think I would like to hear how the defense plays - they had great energy and assertiveness for 5 quarters but again there were tons of unforced (and some caused) turnovers by the opponents. Can the Jays defense disrupt the 'Cats to some degree in 6v6. I think that's what you want to see.

This Daniels thing is tiresome to some degree. I'm not sending anybody to Hopkins so I can't get wrapped up in legacy admissions - sorry I tried but I can't - I think I would rather have Mike's Billion all in all. AND while I was personally told by DIII Hopkins coaches that the increased admissions standards and less potential flexibility on athletes would hurt those programs on the field eventually - I have to say once again I have seen zero evidence in terms of men's lacrosse that administration interference is preventing the lacrosse program from securing the recruits they want - or at the very least it is way down the list. Up until the rules change - you had the Hopkins class 2 to 3 years in advance and virtually all of them showed up. Even the roster size is evidence against admin interference. If I am Dnaiels and I have it in for the lax program - why am I letting DP bring in 18 in one year and swelling the roster to over 50 continually? If I wanted more 2400 SAT and valedictorians - I'm telling the AD and #43 - trim the fat - no pun intended. Maybe O'C is right, but I just can't envision presidential activism in the lacrosse program making much of a difference in today's world. I am around more than a few talented high school players - some actively recruited by Hopkins - they couldn't care less about meeting Ron Daniels.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

My biggest concern about the state of the program can be simply stated by the all too familiar F word:

F
U

N

Are the players having fun? On a whole, do they enjoy the four year (or less; or more) experience they get?

Of far lesser importance: Are the fans having fun?

Based on attendance, I’d say fewer are. I’ve had a lot of fun enjoying Hopkins Lacrosse for over 35 years, but even during The First Great Drought, Hopkins seemed to be competitive each year and a contender.

During The Second Great Drought? No. Far from it.

They coulda been a contender!

Preseason #11.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Really? Every year every coach gives every player the things they need to work on in order to improve. Zinn got a list as did all the others. Frankly you dont have the knowledge or experience with the sport to make your claim. Petro has started a lot of freshmen going back to his early years.

The question you should be exploring is were there injury issues? Were thetr issues with working within the offense or defense?

If the team really thought coach was actively hurting their chances to win you would be hearing it from them one way or another. So find some support for your claim and present it
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

So your claim wombat is attendance is down. Because the fans are not having fun???

It has nothing to do with the move of games from Saturday at 2:00 the second weekend in March with no tv and no spring break to games being played in early February with games schedule on Friday nights, Sunday nights etc with streaming or TV coverage frequently available and spring break right in the middle of done of the best games? Nothing to do with student body composition or pricing or parking etc, attendance is down nationwide in pretty much every sport.

Lacrosse had been self inflicting wounds for decades
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:06 pm Really? Every year every coach gives every player the things they need to work on in order to improve. Zinn got a list as did all the others. Frankly you dont have the knowledge or experience with the sport to make your claim. Petro has started a lot of freshmen going back to his early years.

The question you should be exploring is were there injury issues? Were thetr issues with working within the offense or defense?

If the team really thought coach was actively hurting their chances to win you would be hearing it from them one way or another. So find some support for your claim and present it
If a midfielder is on the first line, slumps for the entire year and shoots a whopping .111 but doesn’t lose any playing time and the coach doesn’t even explore the option of giving someone else pt and you think that’s ok. Well we will never see eye to eye. Good news though all positions are open for competition this year!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”