Is America a racist nation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Is America a racist nation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:21 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:15 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:27 pm

Caught this on PBS a few years ago. Completely oblivious to it until that point.
Wow, I'm 30 minutes in and need to take a break...thanks for sharing.
I really couldn’t believe I knew very little about that activity. Certainly wasn’t covered in school.
Leaves one's chest just swollen with pride after watching, eh?
Moved from Mass to Georgia, was there from '57-'59.
Hadn't ever seen a whites only sign on anything before we moved there.
Geezuz H, them southern boys do indeed like them some subservient and obedient folk, don't they?
That really wasn’t that long ago. I have the good fortune of finding a recording of an interview with my grandmother that was conducted by a local college documenting the early residents of her town (where I was also born). She moved there when she was about 3 years old with her father and siblings. Her mother died when she was 2. That was 1899. Great grandfather raised 5 kids on his own. Great great grandfather fought in the Civil War….down in Virginia and Carolina. Anyway, she talks about race relations being fine in town (relatively speaking) until the southerners came north. A lot of history in that interview which was conducted in 1972 and she was 75 years old. It was nice hearing her voice. I listen to it every now and then just to hear her talk. She couldn’t finish school because she had to take care of her brother who went blind after being struck in the head. He eventually died after gangrene set into his hands and his fingers fell off when he went to the outhouse and froze outside. Oddly his name was Christopher Columbus. Folks had it hard….a$$ holes made it even harder. I count my blessings.
I know a guy here in Atl that was arrested and held for 9 days as a rape suspect in the mid 1980s as a 25-26yr old because he was a “tall black man” as the only cause. Ruined his life he moved multiple times throughout the country even and had to switch jobs despite having gone to Princeton, ultimately graduating from Colorado College (good school for those unfamiliar), all because he was a tall black dude.

Now Tupac did take one back in this circumstance:

https://thesource.com/2020/05/28/redo-9 ... to-people/

But Atlanta is still struggling with what and who it is today I see on a daily basis
It’s kind of ridiculous.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:36 pm

Caught this on PBS a few years ago. Completely oblivious to it until that point.
I really couldn’t believe I knew very little about that activity. Certainly wasn’t covered in school.
Geezuz H, them southern boys do indeed like them some subservient and obedient folk, don't they?
That really wasn’t that long ago. I have the good fortune of finding a recording of an interview with my grandmother that was conducted by a local college documenting the early residents of her town (where I was also born). She moved there when she was about 3 years old with her father and siblings. Her mother died when she was 2. That was 1899. Great grandfather raised 5 kids on his own. Great great grandfather fought in the Civil War….down in Virginia and Carolina. Anyway, she talks about race relations being fine in town (relatively speaking) until the southerners came north. A lot of history in that interview which was conducted in 1972 and she was 75 years old. It was nice hearing her voice. I listen to it every now and then just to hear her talk. She couldn’t finish school because she had to take care of her brother who went blind after being struck in the head. He eventually died after gangrene set into his hands and his fingers fell off when he went to the outhouse and froze outside. Oddly his name was Christopher Columbus. Folks had it hard….a$$ holes made it even harder. I count my blessings.
I know a guy here in Atl that was arrested and held for 9 days as a rape suspect in the mid 1980s as a 25-26yr old because he was a “tall black man” as the only cause. Ruined his life he moved multiple times throughout the country even and had to switch jobs despite having gone to Princeton, ultimately graduating from Colorado College (good school for those unfamiliar), all because he was a tall black dude.

But Atlanta is still struggling with what and who it is today I see on a daily basis
It’s kind of ridiculous.
I guess at least it seems heading in the right direction but yeah given the demographics and what’s shaped this city’s culture for so long, well before I arrived for sure, that there’s even an identity struggle is absurd.

The wrist of it all might’ve been the halftime show when we hosted the super bowl not too long ago. Where was Andre 3000, Wacka, Jeezy, Gladys Knight, Luda, Gnarls, Killer MIke, Lil John, Usher, CeeLo Green, TI, Jermaine Dupri, John Mayer, Donald Glover, Black Crowes, Cody Chestnutt, Arrested Development, Allman a brothers, B52s, REM.

But they hosted and gave us Maroon 5…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 pm

It’s kind of ridiculous.
I guess at least it seems heading in the right direction but yeah given the demographics and what’s shaped this city’s culture for so long, well before I arrived for sure, that there’s even an identity struggle is absurd.

The wrist of it all might’ve been the halftime show when we hosted the super bowl not too long ago. Where was Andre 3000, Wacka, Jeezy, Gladys Knight, Luda, Gnarls, Killer MIke, Lil John, Usher, CeeLo Green, TI, Jermaine Dupri, John Mayer, Donald Glover, Black Crowes, Cody Chestnutt, Arrested Development, Allman a brothers, B52s, REM.

The ridiculous part was the guy being arrested! I have not spent much time in Atlanta but I know people that love it. My brother lived there. He may he moving back.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:48 pm

It’s kind of ridiculous.

The ridiculous part was the guy being arrested! I have not spent much time in Atlanta but I know people that love it. My brother lived there. He may he moving back.
Make sure to have him look me up. I know where to find good food here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Not my school either.
The last few years it's been quite amazing to learn what had been withheld from our educations previously.
I wish it was surprising that this was intentional, but it's not.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I linked earlier in this thread to the entire interview - Here is it is again

Ali was, in many ways, so brilliant about this stuff. His delivery was often hilarious yet serious simultaneously. His facial expressions complimented his oral delivery. The man was a genius.

I had the good fortune to meet in person him once and despite, his disability at that time, he was still impressive and could still light up a room.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:15 am
I linked earlier in this thread to the entire interview - Here is it is again

Ali was, in many ways, so brilliant about this stuff. His delivery was often hilarious yet serious simultaneously. His facial expressions complimented his oral delivery. The man was a genius.

I had the good fortune to meet in person him once and despite, his disability at that time, he was still impressive and could still light up a room.
A friend my grad school grew up in Iran’s Baluchistan province before moving to Michigan as a teenager. He said when he was in grade school in Iran, he had friends that would get into arguments over who was Ali’s cousin! He said he laughed when he found out he was from Kentucky!
“I wish you would!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
DMac

Post by DMac »

My bold.
Nope, wasn't that long ago and there's no way that attitude wasn't passed along and is still alive and well with many folk. Was a given and way of life way too long to have been forgotten and accepted by many a proud southern folk. A couple of old Navy buddies come to mind, particularly the one from Mississippi whose family owned a plantation. A very proud southern boy, came from a very wealthy family. Imagine that. Them boys from Alabama saw things a whole lot differently too, they saw things in a bit of a different order. Superiority and racism is passed along from generation to generation and dies real hard. Very glad to have been raised around many different ethnicities and cultures, just gives you a different view of the world and people. Different is just the norm, and different doesn't make one inferior.
We were learning cursive when moved from Mass to Georgia, in Goergia we went back to printing. Don't know what that says but I found it odd, kind of a strange thing to remember.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:03 am

My bold.
Nope, wasn't that long ago and there's no way that attitude wasn't passed along and is still alive and well with many folk. Was a given and way of life way too long to have been forgotten and accepted by many a proud southern folk. A couple of old Navy buddies come to mind, particularly the one from Mississippi whose family owned a plantation. A very proud southern boy, came from a very wealthy family. Imagine that. Them boys from Alabama saw things a whole lot differently too, they saw things in a bit of a different order. Superiority and racism is passed along from generation to generation and dies real hard. Very glad to have been raised around many different ethnicities and cultures, just gives you a different view of the world and people. Different is just the norm, and different doesn't make one inferior.

Spot on.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad

I was taught to take people as they come. Taught my kids the same. Recall a teaching moment with my son on a train from NYC back home. He may have been in the 10th grade. We hustled to get to a train during rush hour. Finally found two seats in same car but a few rows apart. I told him to take the first and I walked up to the second empty seat where a guy had the aisle seat and had his paper and briefcase on the window seat. I asked if I could have the seat….he said “aren’t there other seats”. I told him the train was full and I was traveling with my son and wanted to be in the same car….. he says “there are other empty seats on the train”. I says to him, yes but that seat was empty and he can go to one of the other empty seats if he wanted to…he says “well there are seats at the back or the train”…. so I look at him, and I said yes there may be and you can look for a seat back there. I don’t ride at back of a train….times have changed….he gathered his stuff and shuffled off in a huff. I explained to my son that occasionally, he may have to deal with a$$holes like that because he won’t walk around with a sign over his head that says, “I live in such and such town, or I went to such and such school, or I work at such and such firm”…people will take a look, make a judgement and treat you accordingly”. Don’t go out looking for things like that but you can’t let it pass when it happens. Stand up for yourself but handle it the right way. Most people are good people and I am a big believer in giving people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Sometimes I am disappointed but generally not.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:27 am
I was taught to take people as they come. Taught my kids the same. Recall a teaching moment with my son on a train from NYC back home. He may have been in the 10th grade. We hustled to get to a train during rush hour. Finally found two seats in same car but a few rows apart. I told him to take the first and I walked up to the second empty seat where a guy had the aisle seat and had his paper and briefcase on the window seat. I asked if I could have the seat….he said “aren’t there other seats”. I told him the train was full and I was traveling with my son and wanted to be in the same car….. he says “there are other empty seats on the train”. I says to him, yes but that seat was empty and he can go to one of the other empty seats if he wanted to…he says “well there are seats at the back or the train”…. so I look at him, and I said yes there may be and you can look for a seat back there. I don’t ride at back of a train….times have changed….he gathered his stuff and shuffled off in a huff. I explained to my son that occasionally, he may have to deal with a$$holes like that because he won’t walk around with a sign over his head that says, “I live in such and such town, or I went to such and such school, or I work at such and such firm”…people will take a look, make a judgement and treat you accordingly”. Don’t go out looking for things like that but you can’t let it pass when it happens. Stand up for yourself but handle it the right way. Most people are good people and I am a big believer in giving people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Sometimes I am disappointed but generally not.
Nice. I don’t have the same context but similar in taking people as they come. Maybe not lenient enough after first experience and a quick hook but try not to presume too much and get some context increasingly incorporating “everyone has a bad day” into my thinking of later in life
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:27 am
Nice. I don’t have the same context but similar in taking people as they come. Maybe not lenient enough after first experience and a quick hook but try not to presume too much and get some context increasingly incorporating “everyone has a bad day” into my thinking of later in life
Yep. I have all kinds of friends. Most remarkable feat is becoming friends with french students at grad school! It was a hard group to crack…..even one of my French friends didn’t mingle with the French contingent! My closet friends in grad school were French, Iranian, Indian and African students. One or my favorite moments was watching an Irish student and an Egyptian in his robe get into a fist fight in the TV lounge! I also realized nobody cheats like American students. I always found it easier to do the work than figure out how to cheat.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ble-humans

So is the anti-abortion movement really just a Warren Buffet neo-natal HR program to ensure more grist for the mill?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

On other websites, right wingers are making political hay out of that Jussie Smollett case. Naturally, they conveniently disregard the fact that racial hoaxes continue to take place every day like this one:

https://atlantablackstar.com/2021/12/10 ... ore-clerk/

‘The Way She Was Stalling’: Woman Falsely Accuses Black Man of Stealing Her Phone Until It Rings In Her Purse, Thanks to a Store Clerk

A now-viral video of a woman accusing a Black man of stealing her phone only for it to be in her purse has outraged critics online.

The video posted on TikTok by user @fuxktdub on Monday, Dec. 6 has since garnered over 2.1 million views with the headline caption, “Karen really pulled this at a Spencer’s. r@sism alive and well.”

... A third person pointed out, “The way she was stalling tryna come up with a backup plan after she felt it in her purse.”

“Her face was so red because she found it in her bag,” added a fourth person. “And look at how she continues to lie even after she found it.”
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

A roach? A sedative?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lafayette ... ref=scroll

See ya, Karen.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Typical Lax Dad

PizzaSnake wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:21 am A roach? A sedative?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/lafayette ... ref=scroll

See ya, Karen.
A “judge”….
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”