Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

Tsk Tsk Wombat - there is no such thing as Columbia Blue with respect to Johns Hopkins - I quote:
"Athletic colors are Hopkins Blue (PMS 284), white and black. No other logo colors are acceptable"

Most refer to Pantone 284 - as Hopkins does on another link as: Wait for it - Spirit Blue

Columbia Blue is actually Pantone 290 BTW

But after seeing your post again - you did not explicitly tie Columbia Blue to Hopkins though most do
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

they canceled alumni chapter events in person through labor day. looking like no fall sports/remote fall semester which generally get going early august.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:56 am Hopkins is the states largest employer, has hundreds of communications people to tell stories about everything they do and goes totally radio silent on their most popular homewood program (mens lacrosse) all year except for game days and game notes days. They have 2 twitter feeds about the mens program that tweet different things and one hasn't worked since last year. They're living in 2001. They're convinced the way to engage alumni is by calling to ask for $ 2x a month from the 410 student calls and a video program about some founder of the school. If the m lax isn't going to win games or play they might as well find people to tell us especially now about the past. People would watch a story about pellegrinos 2 super bowl wins with the patriots and how bb's relationship w/jhu built that connection. Imagine notre dame.edu or bama.edu only mentioning the football program on saturdays in the fall and a sheet w/projected starters on a wednesday. Goofy.
It's the summer, there is no lacrosse, we're in the middle of a pandemic, what exactly do you want them to do? I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the team's social media presence during the offseason so far especially considering there was just a coaching change and the staff hasn't even officially moved into the Cordish Center yet. They've been introducing every new freshman on Twitter/Instagram, posting all-time positional debate rankings to keep the alumni engaged, sharing video messages from the new coaches (JGJR just posted his today). Earlier in the offseason they were doing those game replays on YouTube with famous alums answering questions live in the chat—those got a ton of engagement. Before and during the season they did those "Hopkins Tales" videos highlighting the band, Cornell Willis, and some other longtime supporters. IMO they do exactly the amount that is commensurate with the sport's popularity—which at Hopkins is bigger than most places but is still not very big. The school is leading the world in tracking Covid stats and its scientists/doctors are on the frontlines fighting the virus and figuring out how to stop it—those are the stories the comms people are, and should be, focusing on. Nobody really cares about lacrosse right now—we're lucky they are doing what they're doing. The comparison to Alabama football is beyond ridiculous, and I think you know that. Football at Alabama is a way of life. It's everything, it keeps the lights on and pays the bills. Lacrosse matters at Hopkins but it is not Alabama football. Nothing is. Only thing that's goofy is your absolutely incessant complaining about things that don't really matter.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

JHU’s plans for fall semester:

https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/information-f ... -students/

“Plans for athletics are still being determined.”

“FINANCIAL AID AND EMPLOYMENT OPTIONS WILL BE EXPANDED.
Financial aid renewal packages will be emailed to all students the week of July 6.
The summer savings expectation has been waived and replaced with a grant.
Student employment and paid internships will continue to be available for students this fall, including remote opportunities.”

“The Rec Center will be open with a reduced in-person capacity and reservations will be required for all activities. Face coverings will be required. Locker rooms, the climbing wall, and the rec gym will be closed and there will be no informal or intramural sport activities where appropriate physical distancing can’t be maintained. The center will continue to offer virtual fitness classes.”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-seems like a smart plan for campus.
-the 9th point on the return to campus should've been HOB filming. reminds me of the hockey owner who didn't want his games on tv because he worried then the home fans wouldn't buy tickets and come to games.
-the increased diversity of the student body is all the more reason to jack up the lacrosse programming on social media. I read those old sports illustrated stories on si vault.com. Love that stuff. Embrace the tradition. there are 47 championships represented in that atrium and 38 weeks until next season starts, bring the history alive. Lighten up, smile have some joi de vivre. engage alumni. You're right lacrosse is not a way of life on campus, but to recruits, their coaches, their parents, their siblings, the hopkins players they grew up watching it is. PM is now recruiting kids who were not alive the last time we won titles. School needs to make sure those stories and memories and legacies to build on are getting onto their radars.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Past decade would have been better spent following some WXC.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Two new freshmen intros

Ryan Harkin: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 6436333568

Dad played for the Jays, '91 grad. Haven't seen Ryan play much so won't really comment on expectations—though I do know he's comfortable at both midfield and attack.

Isaac Tallino: https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 4649960452

Crafty middie from Massachusetts...plays a bit like a Canadian and has kind of a funky style from what I've seen but it appears to work. I don't think Natick plays a particularly challenging schedule so may be a bit untested.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Tallino seems really quick. Should translate well.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm Past decade would have been better spent following some WXC.
If schools still had students that cared about such matters a bright red "Johns Hopkins...Womens Cross Country School" tee shirt would be a great troll by terp fans. But modern universities hate that kind of espirit de corps.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm Past decade would have been better spent following some WXC.
If schools still had students that cared about such matters a bright red "Johns Hopkins...Womens Cross Country School" tee shirt would be a great troll by terp fans. But modern universities hate that kind of espirit de corps.
I’ve been waiting over a full day to see if anyone would say that if I had attended their meets, they would have run even faster.

Happy Fourth everyone. Be safe.
W
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm Two new freshmen intros

Dad played for the Jays, '91 grad. Haven't seen Ryan play much so won't really comment on expectations—though I do know he's comfortable at both midfield and attack.

Crafty middie from Massachusetts...plays a bit like a Canadian and has kind of a funky style from what I've seen but it appears to work. I don't think Natick plays a particularly challenging schedule so may be a bit untested.
Yes, we know. But, that doesn't stop you from spouting of nothing that you not know of......so just stop. Ty.

Tallino has played for a club program that attracts SOME of Eastern Mass's best players. Just tired of the nonsensical, ignorant rants about "challenging schedules". It's a joke. I mean, half of the MIAA (ballmoore) games are a joke. Mt. St. Joes? Oh boy. that Giant bamboo pole, playing attack as a Freshman for Air FOrce.....guessing Idaho aint' got NO competition, so the kid CAN"T be good

But, for you to even question a coaches recruiting decision, is just odd. ;)

:lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:27 pm Tallino seems really quick. Should translate well.
With this coaching staff.....absolutely.

I hate how Hopkins is relevant again ;)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:07 am
jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:26 am
I’ve been waiting over a full day to see if anyone would say that if I had attended their meets, they would have run even faster.

Happy Fourth everyone. Be safe.
W

Nah, I am sure they are quite aware that the wouldn't have to run very fast to avoid you ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

No, they were running for the chance to throw themselves AT the WOMBAT.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I believe ty xanders uses the word crafty to describe every attackman and middie he's ever written about. Man needs to expand his vocabulary.
-they have a goalie debate on the twitter for JHU mens lax. I think they should get an intern to run a weekly game watch of an old game like they did this spring, or zoom q/a on youtube with alumni from a title team. Alumni relations has canceled all in person events and these Hopkins at home events are more covid stuff because that's not on the news every hour or anything. There are probably living alumni from 16 title teams. That's 16 weeks of stuff, plus random games 90s etc where the tape is on youtube. Easy stuff.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm Two new freshmen intros

First graduate of Doug Flutie HS to play for JHU?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

K18. LSM. Camp. Beast mode. Schooling.

https://mobile.twitter.com/joekeegs/sta ... 8635327490
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Per TX twitter:

IL’s No. 16 junior Jake Cohen ‘21, LSM/D, Landon (Md.) / @DCExpressLax switched from @JHUmenslacrosse to @YaleLacrosse.

Bummer. I guess some of these were bound to happen. Thought we would have lost the Italian kid from Long Island first . . .
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It is what it is, comes with the territory of a coaching change. Plenty of defensive talent already in that class between Todaro and Litchfield, hopefully at least one of them stays.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I imagine Yale was pushing hard to add another pole too considering they lost Colin Burlace to Maryland. Coaching change + aggressive recruiting can is a recipe for a flip.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”