All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 70

wgdsr

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:38 pm in other news, anderson cooper and some other guy have spent the last couple hours getting hammered within 2 feet of each other. talking and screaming and slurring. maskless, of course.

can't wait for this to be over, if there is an end.
That’s just ridiculous
FYI, Cooper and Cohen are close friends who are in the same social bubble for their kids. As could be seen from the multiple pictures they showed of the two new dads playing with their young sons.

For Cooper and Cohen New Year’s Eve might be like any other day — well, almost. Both men are longtime friends who are part of a coronavirus social bubble that allows their two young children to play together, and viewers are likely to see their off-screen rapport on camera. “Anderson and I have spent more time singing ‘Wheels on the Bus’ over and over to our kids than anyone might imagine,” says Cohen.
none of which is pertinent.
ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm Come on WG, you think two highly visible gay FLPs would aggressively blow off Rona rules on national TV? It's not like they are MAGAs attending a White House party after all. ;)

Happy New Year to all.
i will admit i missed this if bubbles are part of the cdc guidelines. there are a lot of links and changing guidance for rona rules. link?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:31 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:49 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:38 pm in other news, anderson cooper and some other guy have spent the last couple hours getting hammered within 2 feet of each other. talking and screaming and slurring. maskless, of course.

can't wait for this to be over, if there is an end.
That’s just ridiculous
FYI, Cooper and Cohen are close friends who are in the same social bubble for their kids. As could be seen from the multiple pictures they showed of the two new dads playing with their young sons.

For Cooper and Cohen New Year’s Eve might be like any other day — well, almost. Both men are longtime friends who are part of a coronavirus social bubble that allows their two young children to play together, and viewers are likely to see their off-screen rapport on camera. “Anderson and I have spent more time singing ‘Wheels on the Bus’ over and over to our kids than anyone might imagine,” says Cohen.

Come on WG, you think two highly visible gay FLPs would aggressively blow off Rona rules on national TV? It's not like they are MAGAs attending a White House party after all. ;)

Happy New Year to all.
Thanks. Sort of like basketball teams or PLL players in a bubble. Didn’t realize that. No big deal other than appearance. Should have made note of it periodically on TV as a public service announcement to avoid confusion.
“I wish you would!”
njbill

Post by njbill »

A couple of days ago I raised a question about what the allowable window is for getting the second Covid shot. In other words, if someone got their first shot today, what is the outside timeframe for them to get their second shot? I had analogized to the shingles shot, which has a four month window, that is, you wait two months after your first shot and then must get your second shot within four months after the two month waiting period has expired.

Saw a report today that in Britain, they are going to delay the second Pfizer shot for as much as 12 weeks beyond the three week waiting period. That sounds like somebody has determined the window is 12 weeks long, but Pfizer has said they didn’t study that.

I would think that with normal vaccine development, the manufacturer would determine the allowable window, but since the Covid vaccine has been so rush rush, it sounds like they haven’t done that yet. Hopefully someone in Britain is working with some pretty reliable information.

It makes sense to me that there is some type of allowable window to get the second vaccination. To my thinking, that window is relevant to the vaccine rollout process. If, say, the window is eight weeks (I’m just picking a timeframe), then we don’t need to have all of the second doses available at the three week mark. Assuming we have a pretty good handle on how fast the vaccines are being manufactured, that could mean that more people could get their first shots earlier.

Edit to add that I just saw a report that Fauci said we aren’t going to delay the second shot in the United States.
Last edited by njbill on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:39 am
holmes435 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:14 am In a Last-Minute Reversal, HHS Voids FDA Fees on Distillers Who Produced Emergency Hand Sanitizer

Happy New Year! Great to see the 4th estate doing good and being respected.
+1
+2

As a family, we bought quite a few small bottle's of hand sanitizer from a local distillery. My wife liked one "flavor/scent" so much I went there in early December to see if they had more, as a stocking stuffer for her. They had stopped making them sometime in the summer, but sales guy said I was not the only person to ask about them for Xmas.

My firm also purchased a 55 gallon barrel from another distillery, full of sanitizer, for a construction site. After that ran out, site superintendent auctioned off the empty drum, stamped with the name of the distillery, at the Topping Out party.
Great story.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

njbill wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:01 pm A couple of days ago I raised a question about what the allowable window is for getting the second Covid shot. In other words, if someone got their first shot today, what is the outside timeframe for them to get their second shot? I had analogized to the shingles shot, which has a four month window, that is, you wait two months after your first shot and then must get your second shot within four months after the two month waiting period has expired.

Saw a report today that in Britain, they are going to delay the second Pfizer shot for as much as 12 weeks beyond the three week waiting period. That sounds like somebody has determined the window is 12 weeks long, but Pfizer has said they didn’t study that.

I would think that with normal vaccine development, the manufacturer would determine the allowable window, but since the Covid vaccine has been so rush rush, it sounds like they haven’t done that yet. Hopefully someone in Britain is working with some pretty reliable information.

It makes sense to me that there is some type of allowable window to get the second vaccination. To my thinking, that window is relevant to the vaccine rollout process. If, say, the window is eight weeks (I’m just picking a timeframe), then we don’t need to have all of the second doses available at the three week mark. Assuming we have a pretty good handle on how fast the vaccines are being manufactured, that could mean that more people could get their first shots earlier.

Edit to add that I just saw a report that Fauci said we aren’t going to delay the second shot in the United States.
i posted this yesterday:
wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:13 am https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/3 ... ril-452371

if it is april and all is good, that would be a one month delay-ish on my estimated timeline in a best case for azn, not 2. they restarted trials in november, have to get 2 months safety data for the median number of trial participants after both doses. that puts application no sooner than mid- late feb, and 20 days for eua approval.

it looks like we're also thinking as i thought they believe the american public isn't going to be accepting a too-low efficacy number. to the point we may not even approve it although it meets previous acceptability standards. sigh.

to njbill... looks like britain is hitting everyone first, then promising another for azn inside 3 months. i would guess other vaxxes, too. while 90% of deaths happen in over 65, and almost none in kids under 18. who is in charge of these orgs and how does this make any sense? untested. sigh.

as far as getting more info... we have a daily breathless count on cases, and there is a daily log accruing on these vaccines. the results we see are for one window in time (one week after 2nd dose, then several weeks thereafter). and yet we don't see anything other than that first window. no wonder the virus is kicking butt.
this point seems pretty moot right now. even if we allowed it. we have a fraction of our distribution in arms. and a much larger potential problem... we have a ton of healthcare workers unwilling to get a vaxx right now. it goes without saying... they are healthcare workers.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Yes, I saw that. My post today added a few additional salient details.

The “window” issue is moot at the moment because few, if any, people got their first shots more than three weeks ago. It will become relevant, shortly, however, and will be relevant for many months.

I understand the reluctance to employ a somewhat lengthy window in the absence of reliable testing regarding efficacy. Just thinking (hoping) that the scientists can develop reliable information on the window.

Hard for me to believe that the Brits would allow for a 12 week window unless they were pretty darn sure that was workable. Otherwise, in a worst-case scenario, you would have to start over from scratch, which nobody would want to do.

A window of, say, two months could significantly speed the process along, although there obviously are other factors in play, the most important one being the speed with which the vaccine can be manufactured.
ggait

Post by ggait »

i will admit i missed this if bubbles are part of the cdc guidelines. there are a lot of links and changing guidance for rona rules. link?
Have you noticed, for example, all those maskless MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, NCAAFB, NCAABB games on TV?

That NYE TV show was a gathering of two people (and no others), both of whom are inside the same social group and already cross-contaminated, and said gathering was held outside. Don't know, but I'd guess those guys also get frequent testing too.

They were being careful. They mentioned, for example, on the part of the show I saw, that Cohen had gotten a C+ several months ago and had spent weeks in quarantine and so their sons hadn't been able to play together for a while.

Get real, WG. No way are two FLP gay guys from NYC are gonna act like a bunch of MAGAs while on CNN/national TV. Because Hannity and Tucker wouldn't talk about anything else for months!

But maybe they should have worn masks anyway as good modeling. Although then Hannity and Tucker would accuse them of "virtue signaling" I guess. Since the masks were not necessary for that particular gathering.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:23 pm
Have you completely missed, for example, all those maskless MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAAFB, NCAABB games on TV?

That NYE TV show was a gathering of two people (and no others), both of whom are inside the same social group and already cross-contaminated, and said gathering was held outside. Don't know, but I'd guess those guys also get frequent testing too.

They were being careful. They mentioned, for example, on the part of the show I watched, that Cohen had gotten a C+ several months ago and had spent weeks in quarantine and that their sons hadn't been able to play together for a while.

Get real, WG. Two FLP gay guys from NYC are gonna act like a bunch of MAGAs while on CNN/national TV? Never would happen. Because Hannity and Tucker wouldn't talk about anything else for months.
you don't get it and that's ok. so they are not following cdc rona guidelines, then?

so the cohen/anderson bubble got breached and wasn't infallible? should i link the nyt article on how wide small bubble networks actually are?

the nba, mlb etc. franchises aren't front and center admonishing red america every night for 3/4 of a year for being maskless and not following guidelines. anderson cooper was one of the larger faces for that.

once you throw out the maga group that follow trump's scientific guidance on behavior, you have a huge swath of people that listen to the admonitions and mandates from scientists and media proxies and then see this "rules for thee and not for me" on air and confirm.... all of that rhetoric is b.s. they don't care about anyone's random "bubble". they only see what they see.

but if you don't get it (the messaging), you don't get it.
ggait

Post by ggait »

WG.

It is ok to admit you made a mistake calling out Cooper and Cohen (as tld easily quickly did). It happens. No big deal.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:47 pm WG.

It is ok to admit you made a mistake calling out Cooper and Cohen (as tld easily quickly did). It happens. No big deal.
ummm... no i didn't. so don't try to paint it that way. unless you have a quote of mine that was wrong? all ears.

edit: you were asked for your "rona rules". where are they?
ggait

Post by ggait »

Maybe we should discuss instead the nye party last night at mar a lago. Video is online.

Cheers.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:00 pm Maybe we should discuss instead the nye party last night at mar a lago. Video is online.

Cheers.
who is defending that? has anyone at mar a lago been admonishing the public and saying suck it up?

you. do. not. get. it.
cheers.
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:03 pm
ggait wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:00 pm Maybe we should discuss instead the nye party last night at mar a lago. Video is online.

Cheers.
who is defending that? has anyone at mar a lago been admonishing the public and saying suck it up?

you. do. not. get. it.
cheers.
He doesn't WANT to get it, you are completely right. The fact that he breaks his back to defend Cohen and Cooper's behavior when he has been admonishing others for similar behaviors is the definition of hypocrisy. If it doesn't fit the preferred narrative, its reprehensible, if it does fit the preferred narrative, it's perfectly acceptable behavior. We should know that by now!! :lol: :lol: What a crock of sh*t!

Joe
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why does this singular topic so enrage you? Seems personal for some reason.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:43 pm Why does this singular topic so enrage you? Seems personal for some reason.
It doesn't enrage me, it's just so ridiculous that I feel the need to point it out. He's breaking his back to defend something that according to many posts and posters on this site consistently admonish others for the same behavior. It's no wonder why many are saying, "why should I follow the rules? When countless celebrities/politicians/athletes/etc are caught breaking the "rules/guidelines" THEY themselves put forth and expect the public to follow. I can tell you the more it happens, the less and less the public will listen and maintain belief/credibility in them. It's always been "watch WHAT I DO, NOT WHAT I SAY" It rings more true everyday, all you have to do is scour the internet and find these countless instances were these things occur. :roll: :roll:

Joe
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Wait a second, wgdsr, are you actually saying that people can't maintain a bubble in which they don't wear masks when in close contact? That doing so is violating some rule or guidance promulgated by the CDC? I missed that one...

ALL of this is on a relative scale, right?
Not absolutes that prevent husbands and wives and their children from being together maskless...right? And bubbles can be beyond the immediate family, though the larger the bubble the more likely to be pierced...

It's pretty darn clear that risk mitigation involves a whole bunch of tradeoffs, efforts to reduce risk, not absolutes.

Now, if we're talking about how public figures message what their own risk mitigation strategy is, the bubbles they maintain and how they do so, and someone is suggesting these guys whiffed on the communication, I get that...but condemnation for actually violating a rule???
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ok,but still, the regular caps, exclamation points, faces, strong language (not bad just uncompromising), etc. there’s no other topic, lacrosse or this area, that this seems to come out. It doesn’t seem random but rather focused as if you had a personal stake in it driving this.

You didn’t “have to point it out”, you choose to. That means something, I don’t know what but it’s a signal both in the choice and in the description lacking agency (“had” to...). Of course there’s a lack of leadership in this country (world) and tons of hypocrisy in numerous facets. Of course folks want double standards, what some make call risk transference or “de-risking” to create a valuable life option, and those in power will mostly work to get those cheap and free options in life. What I’ve observed here for a couple of years (thank god I didn’t bother on LP even though I miss some older cats who died off that have been discussed, IMP and Artful dodger being my personal favorites) is that these threads mostly end up becoming ideological litmus tests and the BS, heuristics and whatnot transcend singular threads. Folks, on both sides and the ones who get the “Chinese Finger Trap” in the middle (for those familiar with my work here, please don’t look up the term unless you want to explore your degeneracy more), seem frustrated regularly and it comes out while making points. There’s context you miss out only focusing on this which may or may not change your individual views but would probably help clarify some of this for you.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ggait

Post by ggait »

Many families are using COVID bubbles. Especially to allow kids to go to homeschool in a pod or to have a playgroup.

Other fams are using them to facilitate care of elders.

Perfectly fine as a strategy. But like any strategy, it comes down to the execution.

Two guys outside from the same COVID pod/bubble.

Or 500 folks at an indoor party with no masks.

Two very different approaches. One responsible. One not at all.

Buh bye.

Return to “POLITICS”