Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm I’m convinced that there is a cancer, you are seeing multiple symptoms of it, and the only cure is an exorcism.
I’m not saying what it is but to suggest the players aren’t living up to some new standard by the captains is nonsense. From all reports young Epstein wouldn’t say shi+ if his mouth was full of it. He just works.
I don't think he was referring to a player. Epstein is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time.

Re: seating, I'm with 51, they rarely enforce it except for games like Maryland for homecoming. It's pretty easy to "sneak" into the reserved section for most games if that's where you want to be—assuming you want to hang with the parents and the banana guys.

Hopefully some of you brave the forecasted drizzle (though low 50s isn't too bad) tomorrow. Things I'd love to hear about:
1) Goalie, obviously
2) Who rounds out the attack group/Where is Forry getting most of his minutes
3) Who is on the field with a pole other than Colwell and Reinson
4) SSDMs behind Hubler
5) Are we doomed

Might try to make the scrimmage at Villanova next weekend if the weather cooperates.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 am ... It's pretty easy to "sneak" into the reserved section for most games if that's where you want to be—assuming you want to hang with the parents and the banana guys.
The "banana guys?!?" Gotta ask, who are these people and why are they called that??
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:02 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 am ... It's pretty easy to "sneak" into the reserved section for most games if that's where you want to be—assuming you want to hang with the parents and the banana guys.
The "banana guys?!?" Gotta ask, who are these people and why are they called that??
The group of guys who wear yellow shirts and toss bananas to select Blue Jays who performed well after each game. I think one of them may lurk here but doesn't post often.

For those attending tomorrow, Marquette has some more info about the schedule on their website: https://gomarquette.com/news/2020/1/24/ ... pkins.aspx
Action against the Blue Jays is slated to begin at 10 a.m. Central Time with three quarters of play, followed by two quarters against the Spiders at roughly 11:30 a.m. CT.
Still not sure if that means we play Richmond before Marquette at 10am ET, or after the 2 quarters of Richmond/Marquette, which would probably be around 1:30-2. Weird setup.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:51 am I just got my season tickets in the mail. Do they actually enforce those seating assignments, or do people just tend to sit where they want like it used to be? I didn't buy them last year so I'm not sure how things have been working there.
Seems like alot of people buy the season ticket package for the seats on the bench side and then don't bother to show up at all - maybe for homecoming. What you are left with is the stands behind the Hopkins bench are now more than half empty most of the time. Loyola game last year the reserved section was "SOLD OUT" - couldn't get a seat in that area - The section at the 50 yard line never got more than 1/3 full.

If they want to enforce that for Homecoming or the MD game - fine, I get it, you used to have to show up 1+ hour in advance to even hope to sit over there in the past when the weather was nice and say MD or Navy was in town, but most of the games get +/- 1000 people in the stands if they are lucky.

If you are going to venture to the University Pkwy side, bring sunglasses. The sun angle late in the day is brutal early in the season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:29 am If they want to enforce that for Homecoming or the MD game - fine, I get it, you used to have to show up 1+ hour in advance to even hope to sit over there in the past when the weather was nice and say MD or Navy was in town, but most of the games get +/- 1000 people in the stands if they are lucky.
FYI, Hopkins averaged about 2,500 per game at Homewood, which was third in the country behind Maryland (greatly boosted by the 12,000 who attended the Hop game in April) and Syracuse:

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So 8 home games at 2,500 is 20,000 subtract 12k for cuse and you have 7 home games for 8k, little over 1,100, pretty close to what he said.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:52 am
flalax22 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:17 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm I’m convinced that there is a cancer, you are seeing multiple symptoms of it, and the only cure is an exorcism.
I’m not saying what it is but to suggest the players aren’t living up to some new standard by the captains is nonsense. From all reports young Epstein wouldn’t say shi+ if his mouth was full of it. He just works.
I don't think he was referring to a player. Epstein is the best thing to happen to this program in a long time.
10-4. got it. I'm not being critical of 32. I'm just saying from what I hear his leadership strengths are more in the show me than tell me categories.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:52 am So 8 home games at 2,500 is 20,000 subtract 12k for cuse and you have 7 home games for 8k, little over 1,100, pretty close to what he said.
Can't tell if you're joking or not.

Hopkins had 6 home games last year and played both Maryland and Syracuse on the road. The 12k was the attendance for Hop-Maryland at Byrd, not Syracuse. The Syracuse-Hop game in the Dome got 4k.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Hop16 is correct, 1k is slightly hyperbolic. The point stands though that is under 30% capacity on average and less than ~50% capacity the vast majority of the time... no need to bother with the seat #'s for all but maybe 1 or 2 games a year (and 2 would be a very good year).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Overall - agree - in the olden days - seat numbers would have been useful but except for Homecoming seat numbers are not required. People buy the season ticket package for the opportunity to get parking passes too.

'16 if I go I will be happy to TRY to report on things - but if they switch pinnies - that is going to make it tough. Goalie should be easy because Giacalone is a lefty. Should be fairly easy to pick out Smith too but other than that - I'm not sure I'll know Calnan from Rodgers from McManus or Glassmeyer from Pion etc. etc.

According to Wombat we are already doomed so no need to worry about that question
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm Overall - agree - in the olden days - seat numbers would have been useful but except for Homecoming seat numbers are not required. People buy the season ticket package for the opportunity to get parking passes too.

'16 if I go I will be happy to TRY to report on things - but if they switch pinnies - that is going to make it tough. Goalie should be easy because Giacalone is a lefty. Should be fairly easy to pick out Smith too but other than that - I'm not sure I'll know Calnan from Rodgers from McManus or Glassmeyer from Pion etc. etc.

According to Wombat we are already doomed so no need to worry about that question
Rodgers theoretically might be a little easier to pinpoint since he's a lefty. Of the freshman/sophomore poles, I believe Rodgers, Rahm, and Fox are the lefties while everyone else is a righty.

Darby and Marcille are also similarly proportioned, but shouldn't be hard to tell Gainey from those two.

If you sit within shouting distance of the parentals, you might be able to pick up on who's who. The players' sweatpants usually have the correct numbers as well if Wombat lets you repurpose his creeping binoculars
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm Overall - agree - in the olden days - seat numbers would have been useful but except for Homecoming seat numbers are not required. People buy the season ticket package for the opportunity to get parking passes too.

The pinny thing is really stupid. They gave up 34 goals to start the season the first 2 games and 35 to end it. So obviously hiding personnel in scrimmages really hurt towson and loyola in their prep.
DougELax

Post by DougELax »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:32 pm

The pinny thing is really stupid. They gave up 34 goals to start the season the first 2 games and 35 to end it. So obviously hiding personnel in scrimmages really hurt towson and loyola in their prep.
Yeah, but there was filming last year. Now that is off the table, so switching up the numbers will really confuse future opponents.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

The proper appellation is "Blue Jay Bananas."
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:31 pm
The proper appellation is "Blue Jay Bananas."
Ok ...

(1) Thank you for the clarification;

(2) I thought you were dead;

(3) I am glad you are not; and

(4) Welcome back.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

They ARE doomed. But in a good way. Suckitude will bring change.

Having an outstanding season could be the absolute worst thing at this moment for the long term health of the program.

And wait until you hear some of the stories behind the already Departeds.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm They ARE doomed. But in a good way. Suckitude will bring change.

Having an outstanding season could be the absolute worst thing at this moment for the long term health of the program.

Predicting or almost appearing to hope for poor results is an extreme disservice to the players IMO. Practice - weights - conditioning - not to mention some schoolwork at frickin Hopkins. It's not an easy road. We'll soon find out if they are doomed. I could argue in several instances they added by subtracting.

As far as the Departeds - whose version? No better example of two sides to a coin then when a coach and a player go sideways. Let me get this straight, Petro - according to some - is coaching for his job at Hopkins and he dismisses someone who started 48 straight games for him because why? he petulantly felt like it? The player bears no responsibility? That in South Park land is the Chewbacca defense - it makes no sense.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what does bill dwan do for the team?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Forry Smith has been given the #19 jersey this year in honor of Jeremy Huber.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:33 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:31 pm They ARE doomed. But in a good way. Suckitude will bring change.

Predicting or almost appearing to hope for poor results is an extreme disservice to the players IMO. Practice - weights - conditioning - not to mention some schoolwork at frickin Hopkins. It's not an easy road. We'll soon find out if they are doomed. I could argue in several instances they added by subtracting.

As far as the Departeds - whose version? No better example of two sides to a coin then when a coach and a player go sideways. Let me get this straight, Petro - according to some - is coaching for his job at Hopkins and he dismisses someone who started 48 straight games for him because why? he petulantly felt like it? The player bears no responsibility? That in South Park land is the Chewbacca defense - it makes no sense.
Have you ever watched a practice?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”