Syracuse 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxitup21

Re: Syracuse 2024

Post by Laxitup21 »

They are accurately ranked at 5 in IL this week.

Their O is lethal. But, we all really need to pump the brakes here. We are talking about UVM, Colgate, and a 7 game home schedule. It's nice they are back but I think if they come out and beat UMD by 8, then we really should think they are a national title threat.

Cuse will be back in the tournament this year. But, how will the O respond with a top level ACC guy on Spallina (Brower, etc.) and how will Mason Kohn do vs top level D1 face off guys.

I just feel like College Lax is Duke, ND, UVA, Cuse, and or UMD/UNC and everyone else this year and each game will probably be a coin toss, including playoffs..
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Agree with the last comment, SU is still to be tested. Not convinced the D is ready for ACC primetime or the O has more than 1 or 2 guys that can break down their defender. They sure are slick & can handle--especially inside and finish. Really looking forward to that Terp matchup--if they handle that test, then I'm a believer.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm They are accurately ranked at 5 in IL this week.

Their O is lethal. But, we all really need to pump the brakes here. We are talking about UVM, Colgate, and a 7 game home schedule. It's nice they are back but I think if they come out and beat UMD by 8, then we really should think they are a national title threat.

Cuse will be back in the tournament this year. But, how will the O respond with a top level ACC guy on Spallina (Brower, etc.) and how will Mason Kohn do vs top level D1 face off guys.

I just feel like College Lax is Duke, ND, UVA, Cuse, and or UMD/UNC and everyone else this year and each game will probably be a coin toss, including playoffs..
Again I am unclear where there are multitudes of Cuse fans getting ready to hang a title banner or declaring SU is a final four lock after 2 games? Maybe there's some hidden laxpower forum I am unaware of but I am unsure who or what exactly were pumping the brakes on? Most SU fans still have questions and concerns about the rest of the OOC much less the ACC gauntlet. Way to many people are interpreting the IL article with actual reality.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:13 am
Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am I believe Cuse can easily get to 9-0, and everyone will start prematurely celebrating like it’s 1990 again. Inside Lavrosse will build up the hype like you’ve never seen.

At that time, Cuse begins its ‘real’ schedule: Duke, at Notre Dame, at Cornell, at North Carolina, Virginia. Those are five real games. The two hardest imo will be Duke and UVA, but both are home.

Pump the brakes is all I’m saying.
You are doing a real disservice to the rest of the Syracuse schedule by saying the ACC schedule is the only thing that is "real". Please stop with this line. Army, Maryland, Cornell are all top 10 teams (not to mention will be stiffer tests than UNC). Hopkins, Delaware, Utah, all three were tournament teams last year and return a lot. Come on.

What do you want SU fans to do? Only point out the bad things the team does? It's okay to have some optimism here! They've looked really good. Allow yourself some happiness.
100%, this thread has taken a bizarre turn for no real reason at all. Maybe I am missing it but it appears people are conflating the IL article with Syracuse fans somehow planning memorial day trips. Brutal schedule coming up with Maryland and Utah and Army in a 3 game stretch after Manhattan. Think all Cuse fans want to see where we stand after that stretch.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Colgate had a short stick on Spallina for gods sake. Lets pump the brakes. With that being said, I think they can knock off UMD at home as UMD o has been off to a slow start. But in the big picture, I worry about their SSDM skill, defense vs ACC play, and playoff experience. Appropriately ranked this week but everybody knows this year is Duke, UVA, and ND vs everyone else. That's who they need to beat for me to believe they are final 4 worthy. Not UMD, certainly not Colgate and definitely not UVM who had most of their talent transfer this year.

Spallina should be a Tewarton finalist. Hell of a player.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cuse was expected to handily win their first three games .

Squashing a depleted UVM was little surprise but more merit can be given to beating Colgate than previously thought after Gate raised their stock with surprising win over PSU .

After watching game last night believe that Colgate can be competitive in the Patriot League so Cuse victory can be considered a good one. .

Several reasons to be optimistic indeed but also still questions that won't be answered until Cuse gets into tougher stretch of schedule starting with Maryland.

Do see some clear strengths as well as some masked weaknesses but no reason to make any declarations about Cuse titles prospects at this stage.Best to gauge until deeper into season.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:19 pm
Finster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:10 am I believe Cuse can easily get to 9-0, and everyone will start prematurely celebrating like it’s 1990 again. Inside Lavrosse will build up the hype like you’ve never seen.

At that time, Cuse begins its ‘real’ schedule: Duke, at Notre Dame, at Cornell, at North Carolina, Virginia. Those are five real games. The two hardest imo will be Duke and UVA, but both are home.

You are doing a real disservice to the rest of the Syracuse schedule by saying the ACC schedule is the only thing that is "real". Please stop with this line. Army, Maryland, Cornell are all top 10 teams (not to mention will be stiffer tests than UNC). Hopkins, Delaware, Utah, all three were tournament teams last year and return a lot. Come on.

What do you want SU fans to do? Only point out the bad things the team does? It's okay to have some optimism here! They've looked really good. Allow yourself some happiness.
100%, this thread has taken a bizarre turn for no real reason at all. Maybe I am missing it but it appears people are conflating the IL article with Syracuse fans somehow planning memorial day trips. Brutal schedule coming up with Maryland and Utah and Army in a 3 game stretch after Manhattan. Think all Cuse fans want to see where we stand after that stretch.
the 2 guys that want you to pump the brakes say the orange are going 9 and oh and are 1 of 6 teams that count in college lax, respectively. the latter along with unc. and umd. wait, umd was a couple hours ago, now maryland doesn't mean anything.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:14 pm

the 2 guys that want you to pump the brakes say the orange are going 9 and oh and are 1 of 6 teams that count in college lax, respectively. the latter along with unc. and umd. wait, umd was a couple hours ago, now maryland doesn't mean anything.
This is college lacrosse after all. I can't believe there is even a top 20 ranking. They are a nice team but lets re-visit after UMD, Hopkins, and then during ACC play.
coda

Post by coda »

In all fairness there isnt really team that means much in the first couple weeks, but that would make for a terrible board. Loyola came out handling Maryland and Hopkins in their 1st 2 games last year and we all saw how that ended. Duke usually minds some way to lose in Feb to mid major. Early games can be pretty unreliable as teams are still searching for the proper personnel and rotations.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:02 pm

This is college lacrosse after all. I can't believe there is even a top 20 ranking. They are a nice team but lets re-visit after UMD, Hopkins, and then during ACC play.
let's revisit what? who are you even talking to or about?
and i thought you said hopkins and the terps didn't count?
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Agreed. By all accounts everyone has them in the 4-8 range. They will be there come tourney time. The thing they have to do though is take care of business. Beat UMD, Beat Hopkins, and do well, enough, in ACC play.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

maddog29 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:54 am A fun start for early in the season ...4-0 in less than 4 minutes I think. Colgate tried some weird match-up zone - very unusual and horribly ineffective. They scored 4 of their goals on man-ups - not much on even strength. The FO's for Cuse were outstanding; both att. & mid. was darn good for most of the game; LSM's were solid (exception being Martin w/4 penalties but played very physical); Mark looed more like himself. Figueras and Dwan were excellent, but Caccamo replaced Kol and played the majority of the second half. Overall, this was a dominant W over a team that showede some mettle in winning at PSU!

Looking forward to the next few contests. :)
Cite some reservations amidst the positives . Can't have 8 penalties vs top ten teams and expect to win. Are using d backups best unit to play on man down? Mark start not as sharp as seen though he did stop a couple of close in shots when Gate separated from close defenders, not sold on foot speed of back line though Dwan overall soundness is appreciated, do prefer Caccamo stick in passing lanes as third . Clearing was sub par again , credit to Gate pressure, have to discover who can handle best before uva and nd. Cuse crisp ball movement shined but also seen some sloppiness. 21 turnovers .SSDM slimmed out further, had hopes for Clary replacing Rosa physicality , hope for the best there plan for the worst . Stevens is underutilized for a AA not sure where he gets additional minutes and who does Birtwhistle replace. guess last sentence involve good problems to have .
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:28 pm They are accurately ranked at 5 in IL this week.

I remember last year reading similar comments after you stomped on Albany and Holy Cross. You have looked pretty damn good the last 2 weeks but some of you guys are delusional. You haven’t played anyone yet. Your schedule is crazy too, you play 9 of 10 at home. Wow, home cooking for months.

As for the teams in the hunt I’m not sure you are in that discussion just yet. You really haven’t been relevant for years. You, may be in that conversation soon but not yet. Your appraisal of UNC is even more puzzling, they aren’t gonna make any noise this year.

I would say the landscape is tiered and you’re amongst that second tier. Tier 1 has to be ND, UVA and Duke but that could change quick. That second tier is MD, HOP, PSU, Cornell, Army and maybe Cuse/ Michigan.

Hoping you are back because it’s makes things more interesting but I’m not sold until you hang w someone of note.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

stupefied wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm
maddog29 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:54 am A fun start for early in the season ...4-0 in less than 4 minutes I think. Colgate tried some weird match-up zone - very unusual and horribly ineffective. They scored 4 of their goals on man-ups - not much on even strength. The FO's for Cuse were outstanding; both att. & mid. was darn good for most of the game; LSM's were solid (exception being Martin w/4 penalties but played very physical); Mark looed more like himself. Figueras and Dwan were excellent, but Caccamo replaced Kol and played the majority of the second half. Overall, this was a dominant W over a team that showede some mettle in winning at PSU!

Cite some reservations amidst the positives . Can't have 8 penalties vs top ten teams and expect to win. Are using d backups best unit to play on man down? Mark start not as sharp as seen though he did stop a couple of close in shots when Gate separated from close defenders, not sold on foot speed of back line though Dwan overall soundness is appreciated, do prefer Caccamo stick in passing lanes as third . Clearing was sub par again , credit to Gate pressure, have to discover who can handle best before uva and nd. Cuse crisp ball movement shined but also seen some sloppiness. 21 turnovers .SSDM slimmed out further, had hopes for Clary replacing Rosa physicality , hope for the best there plan for the worst . Stevens is underutilized for a AA not sure where he gets additional minutes and who does Birtwhistle replace. guess last sentence involve good problems to have .
I also prefer Caccamo at the 3rd spot, wonder if he starts next game or we see Olexo bump down starting next week with Maryland.

Not sure how much they'll see the 10 man ride but they gotta get better against it.

I would think Birtwhistle replaces Hottle or Kellog (i think that's who have been running on the 2nd line so far?) Like you say though, its a good problem to have.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Pensky Material wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:12 pm

I also prefer Caccamo at the 3rd spot, wonder if he starts next game or we see Olexo bump down starting next week with Maryland.

Not sure how much they'll see the 10 man ride but they gotta get better against it.

I would think Birtwhistle replaces Hottle or Kellog (i think that's who have been running on the 2nd line so far?) Like you say though, its a good problem to have.
I think Olexo is one of the best LSM in the game. I get the need to move him but he's so much better in space and a threat on O imo.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Terpslax1991 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:06 pm

I remember last year reading similar comments after you stomped on Albany and Holy Cross. You have looked pretty damn good the last 2 weeks but some of you guys are delusional. You haven’t played anyone yet. Your schedule is crazy too, you play 9 of 10 at home. Wow, home cooking for months.

As for the teams in the hunt I’m not sure you are in that discussion just yet. You really haven’t been relevant for years. You, may be in that conversation soon but not yet. Your appraisal of UNC is even more puzzling, they aren’t gonna make any noise this year.

I would say the landscape is tiered and you’re amongst that second tier. Tier 1 has to be ND, UVA and Duke but that could change quick. That second tier is MD, HOP, PSU, Cornell, Army and maybe Cuse/ Michigan.

Hoping you are back because it’s makes things more interesting but I’m not sold until you hang w someone of note.
So much wrong here I am not sure where to start. First off the person your responding to isn't a Syracuse fan and he's echoing similar comments to you, I almost assume you quoted the wrong person.

Second no Cuse fan thought SU was back after beating Vermont, Albany, and HC last year. It was clear the faceoff unit while doing OK to start was likely going to be a major issue over the course of the year and the Maryland and UNC games exposed the D issues that carried over from the year before. I don't' see any Cuse fan saying were back this year beyond one guy whose using it as a roundabout way to also say" pump the brakes".

I am unclear what your referring to regarding "appraisal of UNC" and I am again unclear what delusional comments your referring to unless its the one poster talking about 9-0 that everyone else called out for being nuts or the poster you quoted who again isn't a Syracuse fan. I also can't find any post that put SU on the same level as UVA, Duke ND etc as bonafide title contenders. As for being in the hunt, about 10-12 teams can make a legitimate claim for that including Syracuse.

As for the amount of early home games, SU almost always plays a front loaded home schedule with upstate NY weather, you may also want to take a gander at the schedules of most of the other ACC teams, your gonna be surprised how many home games all of them play, Duke doesn't leave the state until late March. SU also plays 4 of it last 5 on the road including @ ND @ Cornell and @ UNC.

Lastly not sure the comment about being relevant for years is means anything and is a bit rich coming from a fan of a program who went 40+ years between titles.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:11 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:02 pm

let's revisit what? who are you even talking to or about?
and i thought you said hopkins and the terps didn't count?
LMAO, I think were being trolled or the JHU superfan in the bleachers finally found fanlax.
Pensky Material

Laxitup21 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:23 pm

I think Olexo is one of the best LSM in the game. I get the need to move him but he's so much better in space and a threat on O imo.
I don't disagree with you, it would be a move out of necessity. They have plenty of poles on their roster, it would be nice if someone else was ready to take that spot but doesn't seem to be the case yet.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Pensky Material wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:32 pm

I don't disagree with you, it would be a move out of necessity. They have plenty of poles on their roster, it would be nice if someone else was ready to take that spot but doesn't seem to be the case yet.
Wright and Schmitt could in theory take over as the 1-2 punch at LSM, both have pretty good backgrounds and Schmitt was the MAAC LSM of the year last year. They also have Sageder who was the #2 LSM for a large part of last year. The concern maybe that Schmitt has barely played so far (probably because he's the #3 LSM and Olexxo is so good at LSM its a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think ultimately he will get moved to close as his cover ability is to good and will be needed against UVA, ND and Duke but you can see the dilemma from SU's standpoint.
Pensky Material

JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:37 pm
Pensky Material wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:32 pm

Wright and Schmitt could in theory take over as the 1-2 punch at LSM, both have pretty good backgrounds and Schmitt was the MAAC LSM of the year last year. They also have Sageder who was the #2 LSM for a large part of last year. The concern maybe that Schmitt has barely played so far (probably because he's the #3 LSM and Olexxo is so good at LSM its a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. I think ultimately he will get moved to close as his cover ability is to good and will be needed against UVA, ND and Duke but you can see the dilemma from SU's standpoint.
Sorry to clarify I meant it would be nice if someone else was ready to grab that 3rd spot at close. Think the depth at LSM with Wright, Schmitt and Sageder would be good if Olexo went back to close. Still think Caccomo could be the guy going foward with Fig/Dwan but guess we'll see.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”