2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

D3 Mens Lacrosse
aroundtheoutside

Re: 2023 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by aroundtheoutside »

A couple thoughts on the Elite 8...

1 - I don't think CNU over Dickinson is at all a sure thing. CNU barely survived Dickinson by a goal at the Mustang Classic. That was the day after upsetting RIT, so maybe fatigue or let-down played a factor, but it's clear that Dickinson can challenge the Captains. CNU SHOULD win, but this will be a big test.

2 - Lynchburg is the definition of a Jekyll and Hyde team this year...at their best they look formidable. But they've also looked hapless on several occasions this year. We'll see which one shows up. Even at their best it's hard to imagine they can beat Tufts, but maybe they can keep it interesting into the 4th quarter, especially if Hadley has a day. If I'm betting money though, we'll find out that the weather excuse from earlier this year was just that...an excuse.

3 - Salisbury looks vulnerable at times. I was surprised that Colorado College played them so tight for 2-3 quarters. Maybe they just played down or were looking ahead to Amherst? W&L has the horses to give the Sea Gulls a game if they're not dialed in or if they're looking ahead to CNU.

4 - Let's be clear...Tufts is the juggernaut and the runaway favorite to win the ship. But just to try to make the conversation a little more interesting...I wonder if it could eventually be a disadvantage to Tufts that they've had so many blowout wins and so few close contests? Obviously it speaks volumes about the Jumbos that they have the talent to crush most teams, but there's something to be said about the grit and composure that's required to win a close game when you don't have the luxury of coasting in the second half. Perhaps that could be an underdeveloped muscle that comes back to bite them at some point.

5 - RIT over Middlebury.

6 - Assuming SU and CNU both advance, does CNU lose a third game in the same season to SU on their turf? Or do they finally figure it out and get their first ever (I believe?) victory against Salisbury at Sea Gull Stadium? Gotta imagine the key (other than the normal things...face offs, goaltending, groundballs) is figuring out how to get Cook more involved and overcoming SU's face-guarding.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Exciting games this weekend for Elite 8! I hope the work week goes by fast.

1 RIT #5 vs #4 Middlebury 05/20/2023 - RIT -2.5 - Middlebury has been hit or miss recently. Depends on what Middlebury team shows up! Could be a great game or a blow out.

2 Salisbury #3 vs #8 Washington and Lee 05/20/2023- don’t think WL can match up well with SU. Gulls -5.5

3 Christopher Newport #2 vs #14 Dickinson 05/20/2023- very close game at the mustang classic. Dickinson had 4-0 start and CNU climbed back to take it by 1. Fatigue from RIT win could have played a factor. This should be a great game. Give me CNU -1.5

4 Tufts #1 vs #15 Lynchburg 05/20/2023- -7.5- we will see if the awful snow/rain weather game was a fluke or not. Lynchburg is playing great lacrosse right now when it matters. But tufts is just on a rampage. Think tufts pulls away 2nd half to a comfortable 8+ goal game. Hope I’m wrong and see Lynchburg make it a great game. Coach K has his team dialed in right now.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

1. RIT v. Middlebury: RIT is really starting to find their groove. Similarly to the last few years, they are playing their best ball come late May. I don’t see Midd hanging with them. RIT by 5.

2. Salisbury vs. W&L: One of the two games where I think it’ll be a blowout. Although the generals have a great team, they are the beneficiary of a pretty weak opening weekend pod.(They played grove city in the sweet 16..) I just don’t see them being able to keep with up with the Gulls. Especially with how well Salisbury has been playing. Salisbury by 8.

3. CNU vs. Dickinson. CNU is confusing. They play so well against every team except the gulls. They are 18-0 against teams not named Salisbury and they have beaten 4 teams that have made the elite 8, including pretty dominating wins over RIT and W&L. Dickinson has been playing great ball the after their 3 game slide in the middle of the season and I expect them to come out firing. CNU only won by 1 last time and you could tell fatigue had a bit to do with that. Dickinson had a lot more depth and we’re able to throw more guys at them. Now with a weeks rest I expect the captains to be more dialed in, especially after the upset in the elite 8 last year. Probably the game of the weekend from my perspective. CNU by 3

4. Tufts vs. Lynchburg: You’re lying if you think that the weather didn’t play a factor in the last game. Lynchburg couldn’t even catch or throw and got off about 10 shots in that game. Maybe their coach should look into abandoning that “no sweats or long sleeves” rule when it’s 15 degrees and sleeting sideways. That being said, I still think Tufts is a lot better of a team than Lynchburg. They seem unstoppable right now and have the best player in the country. Tufts by 10.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:27 am 1. RIT v. Middlebury: RIT is really starting to find their groove. Similarly to the last few years, they are playing their best ball come late May. I don’t see Midd hanging with them. RIT by 5.

2. Salisbury vs. W&L: One of the two games where I think it’ll be a blowout. Although the generals have a great team, they are the beneficiary of a pretty weak opening weekend pod.(They played grove city in the sweet 16..) I just don’t see them being able to keep with up with the Gulls. Especially with how well Salisbury has been playing. Salisbury by 8.

3. CNU vs. Dickinson. CNU is confusing. They play so well against every team except the gulls. They are 18-0 against teams not named Salisbury and they have beaten 4 teams that have made the elite 8, including pretty dominating wins over RIT and W&L. Dickinson has been playing great ball the after their 3 game slide in the middle of the season and I expect them to come out firing. CNU only won by 1 last time and you could tell fatigue had a bit to do with that. Dickinson had a lot more depth and we’re able to throw more guys at them. Now with a weeks rest I expect the captains to be more dialed in, especially after the upset in the elite 8 last year. Probably the game of the weekend from my perspective. CNU by 3

4. Tufts vs. Lynchburg: You’re lying if you think that the weather didn’t play a factor in the last game. Lynchburg couldn’t even catch or throw and got off about 10 shots in that game. Maybe their coach should look into abandoning that “no sweats or long sleeves” rule when it’s 15 degrees and sleeting sideways. That being said, I still think Tufts is a lot better of a team than Lynchburg. They seem unstoppable right now and have the best player in the country. Tufts by 10.
These predictions all look good, not that anybody is looking for approval...I have seen all play except the Gulls, and the Hornets I watched play the Jumbos online in the windshield wiper game.

The Tigers plays a rather dynamic style of lax, and the Panthers a little more scripted but also able to see advantages and quickly take exploit them. If the Panthers are efficient with long offensive possessions they could make it close.

Not much to add on the Gull's and Generals game except that the Gulls ain't no Grove City or Centre. Could be some shock and awe but I hope the Generals don't let it get away and have an opportunity late to for a W.

The Captains and Red Devils should have a fantastic battle at the X. The Captains could end up with more possessions and they are very talented getting great looks at the cage with their off-ball movement. The Devils have a very good offense and hopefully get enough possessions to get into a groove and put up some points.

For the Jumbos and Hornets, well, the Hornets need to not let it get away as the Jumbos onslaught is impossible to stop once the most momentum gets going.

Gonna be some great games!
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
HockeyLaxGolf42

Post by HockeyLaxGolf42 »

Truly think the jumbos at the minimum walk into championship weekend no problem. Their style of play is hard to scout for opposing teams who have to focus on winning their Saturday game first. Expect their championship game to be lower scoring then many expect
ergit

Post by ergit »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:55 pm Truly think the jumbos at the minimum walk into championship weekend no problem. Their style of play is hard to scout for opposing teams who have to focus on winning their Saturday game first. Expect their championship game to be lower scoring then many expect
Tough to scout? Been done before. Two years in a row in fact…
Dlaxva5

Post by Dlaxva5 »

HockeyLaxGolf42 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:55 pm Truly think the jumbos at the minimum walk into championship weekend no problem. Their style of play is hard to scout for opposing teams who have to focus on winning their Saturday game first. Expect their championship game to be lower scoring then many expect
If any of the remaining teams have not been scouting the others at all this year, I'd be very surprised. Coaches who are expecting to get to the Final Four have been preparing long before post-win Saturday night. CNU and Salisbury pretty much knew they'd be in the South, RIT and Tufts pretty much knew they'd be in the North.

Are you saying Tufts will begin their scouting and game prep for RIT or Middlebury starting Saturday night?
Bigdawg69

Post by Bigdawg69 »

Jumbos over gulls in the chip by 8…
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Dlaxva5 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:07 pm
If any of the remaining teams have not been scouting the others at all this year, I'd be very surprised. Coaches who are expecting to get to the Final Four have been preparing long before post-win Saturday night. CNU and Salisbury pretty much knew they'd be in the South, RIT and Tufts pretty much knew they'd be in the North.

Are you saying Tufts will begin their scouting and game prep for RIT or Middlebury starting Saturday night?
Video is available for scouting any time with games stored on subscription services. Given the playoff games are tightly scheduled, unless coaches and players can watch a bit of a game at the same location, it's difficult to live scout. Clearly Tufts and Middlebury know each other pretty well already.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Not sure if people are aware that Tufts is 56 and 5 dating back to 2017 at home and 28-1 going back to 2019. This team is arguably their most complete team in the D’anolfo Era. They will be tough to beat at home. While not impossible Lynchburg and RIT will have to play flawless lax because Tufts has that “home field” advantage factor. You may or may not think it is an advantage but most teams would rather play at home than on the road. Good luck to RIT and Lynchburg. Hope we see great lacrosse no matter who wins.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:36 pm Not sure if people are aware that Tufts is 56 and 5 dating back to 2017 at home and 28-1 going back to 2019. This team is arguably their most complete team in the D’anolfo Era. They will be tough to beat at home. While not impossible Lynchburg and RIT will have to play flawless lax because Tufts has that “home field” advantage factor. You may or may not think it is an advantage but most teams would rather play at home than on the road. Good luck to RIT and Lynchburg. Hope we see great lacrosse no matter who wins.
I hope Tufts improves their field condition before the weekend as kids slip on it frequently. Needs more rubber.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Watching bits and pieces of all the teams this weekend, it looked to me like Tufts and RIT were head and shoulders above all the other teams at this point in the season. I would be shocked if anyone competes with those two, but that's why they play the games!
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

ergit wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:58 pm
You can’t compare this team to past teams. This years tufts teams is like no other team I have seen in several years. They have several players can shoot from deep outside. They are not selfish, often making one more (or two more passes) to get the wide open crease shot. The goalie has been playing hot. And the defense is big and quick. Add to that, an all American fogo. The championship is going to be tough to steal away from tufts this year

But. This is college sports. Upsets happen all the time.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:07 pm
You can’t compare this team to past teams. This years tufts teams is like no other team I have seen in several years. They have several players can shoot from deep outside. They are not selfish, often making one more (or two more passes) to get the wide open crease shot. The goalie has been playing hot. And the defense is big and quick. Add to that, an all American fogo. The championship is going to be tough to steal away from tufts this year

At this point in the tournament, any team can beat anyone. We all have our opinions but there are still three games for each team to win the championship. Anything can happen especially in the final four where anyone of those 4 remaining teams can beat anyone of the other on any given day. The only advantage in my mind at this point is home field which goes to Tufts and Salisbury. However, RIT, Lynchburg, CNU, Dickinson, Middlebury, and W&L are all great teams who are capable of beating the top seds in their respective brackets. Happens ALL the time in sports. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't execute then it does not matter. I just want to see some exciting lacrosse next weekend and hope that we have some memorable games no matter who is victorious.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:56 pm Watching bits and pieces of all the teams this weekend, it looked to me like Tufts and RIT were head and shoulders above all the other teams at this point in the season. I would be shocked if anyone competes with those two, but that's why they play the games!
So you’ve actually been watching multiple games as opposed to the minions who follow their standard brand. Tufts is and has been throughout the season D3’s bell cow. They are ranked #1 and deservedly so. RIT is peaking at the right time and has the NC experience. For me, Middlebury is the outlier. At times they have looked elite and then they revert to “meh” as their game against St. Mary’s. Which team shows up on Saturday? If everyone holds serve, we’ll see the true NC game in Medford on Sunday. Jumbo’s vs Tigers. Bring it on. 🐅
guslax

Post by guslax »

The12lov3 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:06 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:07 pm

At this point in the tournament, any team can beat anyone. We all have our opinions but there are still three games for each team to win the championship. Anything can happen especially in the final four where anyone of those 4 remaining teams can beat anyone of the other on any given day. The only advantage in my mind at this point is home field which goes to Tufts and Salisbury. However, RIT, Lynchburg, CNU, Dickinson, Middlebury, and W&L are all great teams who are capable of beating the top seds in their respective brackets. Happens ALL the time in sports. You can have all the talent in the world but if you don't execute then it does not matter. I just want to see some exciting lacrosse next weekend and hope that we have some memorable games no matter who is victorious.
I have watched a lot of Division 3 lacrosse this year, particularly NESCAC, and would say theres little to no chance Tufts doesn’t win the ‘ship this year.

That said, D’Annolfo has historically managed to figure out how to crumble when the lights are brightest despite having an insane amount of talent to work with. We’ll see I guess.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Ill give my quick take on the weekends games...

Middlebury vs. RIT - Im taking the Mids in a mild upset. Middlebury has found ways to win close games this year outside of playing tufts. Im taking them in another close one, 14-13.

Tufts vs. Lynchburg - Lynchburg will score goals, but they cant score enough to keep up with tufts. 21-13

Dickinson vs. CNU - Captains posted a great win over Gettysburg and Dickinson has been rock solid since the middle of the season. Close game in the mustang classic, I see another close one. Give me the Red Devils 12-11

Salisbury vs. W&L - Gulls 18-10. Gulls go up early and hold onto the lead through out.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I will give this a shot

RIT v. Middlebury. Middlebury did not look great last weekend and RIT has been here a lot in the recent past so I think that RIT pulls this out by a few. This is the game that most like could be an upset

Tufts v Lynchburg- Lynchburg may be able to stay with them for a half but Tufts depth and athleticism wins the day by 6+

Salisbury v W&L I really like The Generals but I am not sure they have the horses to pull this one out. I think that W&L’s goaltending woes are the difference as Salisbury pulls away

CNU v Dickinson. I have been high on Dickinson all season and this could very likely be the game that gets them
Over the jump. Having a week to get ready for CNU is a big help and they they have the game to pull this one out over a very good CNU team. I will say that for the second year in a row CNU gets knocked out in the quarters in OT
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

One more that no one will care about.

Midd-RIT- Midd has run hot and cold. When on they can score with anyone and have won 8 games when giving up double digits. The second Tufts game though was concerning in regards to shutting down their O and St. Mary's was able to hold them to only 10, which was very surprising to me. 19 vs Union is more like it, they put up 15 in their first meeting. RIT hasn't been held to single digits this year and ALWAYS scores in the tourney, putting up huge numbers on Tufts the past 2 years and even 15 on Salisbury in the finals 2 years ago. They do not have the depth of talent this year as last but still can come in waves. I'll take RIT 17-13

Tufts-Lynchburg- I am tempted to say all of the crowing of Tufts is premature, given how unstoppable they have looked in several of the past 7 years before, in fact, being stopped in the tourney. In 17 and 18 they lost to Wesleyan, who held them to 8 and 11 goals. Lost in 2019 to Amherst 13-11. We know about 2020, then lost 18-16 and 26-15 to RIT past 2 years. To beat Tufts then you are going to have to hold them to around 10 or fewer goal or put up near 20. Lynchburg is most emphatically not holding them to 10. The dramatically improved F) and goal play make outscoring them in a shootout much harder than years past. They are absolutely not unbeatable and came very close to losing several NESCAC games this year but once they get out of the CAC thunderdome, watch out. Without looking at the forecast, Tufts 17-11.

Salisbury-W&L- I haven't seen W&L play this year so this is uninformed. 3 losses to strong teams, one to H-S, a decent team, that they avenged. Strong wins vs York, Lynchburg and Denison. None of those teams are Salisbury. This is not a vintage powerhouse Gull team but they have more than enough here. W&L seems like around the 8-10th best team in the country and their run therefore ends about where it should. 15-11 Salisbury.

CNU-Dickenson- Tremendous matchup, very excited for this one. As noted, CNU has lost 1 game by 1 goal over the past 2 years in the non-Salisbury division. Last years was supposed to be their year, with a fleet of older guys. Still stacked this year with a very veteran crew. Dickenson has some definite good wins, Stevens x2, Stevenson, Cabrini, Swarthmore x2 and Gettysburg and lost a 1 goal thriller in the first round earlier this year in a game played on back-to-backs for both teams after grueling games the day before. Exciting to see a new team really ascend to the upper echelon of D3. In a battle of schools named after people who did not found them, the Captains exorcise the Red Devils 13-12.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:29 pm

Tufts-Lynchburg- I am tempted to say all of the crowing of Tufts is premature, given how unstoppable they have looked in several of the past 7 years before, in fact, being stopped in the tourney. In 17 and 18 they lost to Wesleyan, who held them to 8 and 11 goals. Lost in 2019 to Amherst 13-11. We know about 2020, then lost 18-16 and 26-15 to RIT past 2 years. To beat Tufts then you are going to have to hold them to around 10 or fewer goal or put up near 20. Lynchburg is most emphatically not holding them to 10. The dramatically improved F) and goal play make outscoring them in a shootout much harder than years past. They are absolutely not unbeatable and came very close to losing several NESCAC games this year but once they get out of the CAC thunderdome, watch out. Without looking at the forecast, Tufts 17-11.
The close games were Amherst, Conn College, and Williams. Two of those were on the rode. None of the other games were even close in the NESCAC and out of conference. That being said, Anyone can beat anyone at this point in the tournament. It is hard to win a championship no matter how good you are. People are forgetting that Salisbury has not won a championship in six years and most of those years they were the favorite on paper. It will come down to execution for all the teams involved. Anyone that misses a beat at this point in the tournament will go down.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”