Post by 1766 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:11 pm
1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:59 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:34 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:32 pm
1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 3:11 pm
flalax22 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:52 pm
1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:34 pm I don't know if it's true or not but there sure is a lot of chatter out there about Milliman's practice times. Apparently it's all based around picking up his kids from school.

If that's true...
Life / Work balance is what we do in 2022 however his kids schedule has made it difficult for players class selection. I’ve heard the same thing.
Yea, that's what seems to be making it's way through the lacrosse grapevine. Challenges scheduling classes for the players due to him picking up his kids from school. I don't know about other coaches, but Coach Brecht lives at the Rodkin Center. People in the department joke about how much he's there. He's there from 7:00 to 7:00 every day from what I know. I'm sure other coaches at other schools are doing the same thing.

You never know what rumors are true or not, but with some of the other things I've heard about unhappy alumni, specifically donors, I'm starting to believe if Milliman doesn't pick up the pace quickly he isn't going to be there very long. Assuming the alumni still call the shots.
What is he getting paid? Time is all any of us have. As Patsy Cline famously said, “No dough, no show.”

Or maybe they shouldn’t hire people who have, er, built-in “conflicts of interest”. I think the ‘50s model of job-before-all-else is fading away, maybe.
Depends on the industry. I’m going to be on calls through midnight on a structured debt closing where there’s one party that’s making me channel my inner Latrell Sprewell despite this person not being my boss but critical to the closing.
Everyday for a number of months, similar to a men’s lacrosse season? Fnck that noise! I’ll pass.

Chacun à son goût…
He can choose to play the life work balance game but when your personal life is affecting your player's success, that's an issue. And if you are doing that, you are getting outworked. I can't speak for every coach but I can for one. And if he is working 12 hour days, I am would bet dollars to donuts that others are as well.

If true, Milliman is falling behind every day. And so is the program.
So, I’m not clear on this rumor … is the rumor that Milliman just packs up and goes home after picking up the kids?

Doesn’t that mean he’s done with work around 3 pm?

DocBarrister :?:
From my understanding, he plans practice around picking up his kids which forces players to have class scheduling issues. Again, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but if he's done by work at 3:00 every day he's going to be getting outworked. That isn't what successful coaches are doing. Or what anyone I know who is successful is doing for that matter, unless you live out West and work market hours.
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:47 pm
1766 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:34 pm I don't know if it's true or not but there sure is a lot of chatter out there about Milliman's practice times. Apparently it's all based around picking up his kids from school.

If that's true...
Life / Work balance is what we do in 2022 however his kids schedule has made it difficult for players class selection. I’ve heard the same thing.
Yea, that's what seems to be making it's way through the lacrosse grapevine. Challenges scheduling classes for the players due to him picking up his kids from school. I don't know about other coaches, but Coach Brecht lives at the Rodkin Center. People in the department joke about how much he's there. He's there from 7:00 to 7:00 every day from what I know. I'm sure other coaches at other schools are doing the same thing.

You never know what rumors are true or not, but with some of the other things I've heard about unhappy alumni, specifically donors, I'm starting to believe if Milliman doesn't pick up the pace quickly he isn't going to be there very long. Assuming the alumni still call the shots.
What is he getting paid? Time is all any of us have. As Patsy Cline famously said, “No dough, no show.”

Or maybe they shouldn’t hire people who have, er, built-in “conflicts of interest”. I think the ‘50s model of job-before-all-else is fading away, maybe.
Depends on the industry. I’m going to be on calls through midnight on a structured debt closing where there’s one party that’s making me channel my inner Latrell Sprewell despite this person not being my boss but critical to the closing.
Everyday for a number of months, similar to a men’s lacrosse season? Fnck that noise! I’ll pass.

Chacun à son goût…
He can choose to play the life work balance game but when your personal life is affecting your player's success, that's an issue. And if you are doing that, you are getting outworked. I can't speak for every coach but I can for one. And if he is working 12 hour days, I am would bet dollars to donuts that others are as well.

So, I’m not clear on this rumor … is the rumor that Milliman just packs up and goes home after picking up the kids?

From my understanding, he plans practice around picking up his kids which forces players to have class scheduling issues. Again, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but if he's done by work at 3:00 every day he's going to be getting outworked. That isn't what successful coaches are doing. Or anyone I know who is successful is doing for that matter unless you live out West and work market hours.
My work day usually starts at 5 am Pacific Time, because that’s when the frickin’ emails start rolling in from New York. But it sure don’t end at MF’ing 3 pm.

I have no idea whether there is any truth to these rumors. But could also explain Milliman’s aversion to mid-week games.

Whatever … jury is still out on Coach Milliman. We’ll see how things go.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Post by 1766 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:54 pm

If that's true...

Chacun à son goût…

From my understanding, he plans practice around picking up his kids which forces players to have class scheduling issues. Again, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but if he's done by work at 3:00 every day he's going to be getting outworked. That isn't what successful coaches are doing. Or anyone I know who is successful is doing for that matter unless you live out West and work market hours.
My work day usually starts at 5 am Pacific Time, because that’s when the frickin’ emails start rolling in from New York. But it sure don’t end at MF’ing 3 pm.

I have no idea whether there is any truth to these rumors. But could also explain Milliman’s aversion to mid-week games.

Whatever … jury is still out on Coach Milliman. We’ll see how things go.

DocBarrister :?
That's the great thing about sports. It's the ultimate results oriented business. You will know soon enough, playing Mommy Dad or not. Who knows, maybe he's a savant and can do it all in half time. Guess you will find out.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

[quote=1766 post_id=370159

He can choose to play the life work balance game but when your personal life is affecting your player's success, that's an issue.
[/quote]

That's the issue if it is true. No one is going to have a huge issue with him doing that in the off-season. Everyone wants some work balance. but in season and fall ball it sets a pretty bad precedent. It shows that not all things are equal. And I'm of the view really good and successful coaches, unfortunately, lose some of those moments and balance. The team comes first.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I heard the players struggling to get their classes due to Milliman schedule. If that’s true it’s not good. But let’s remember the last coach was pretty much living at Cordish and while I don’t think anyone will question his work ethic the results were lacking at the end. So I’m not sure how effective keeping that schedule is either
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:46 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:14 pm how many times do you think 1776 is going to post in this thread?

guy cant get hopkins out of his mind. he’s completely overwhelmed
Repetition is one of the most effective rhetorical “colors”.
Gotta get that 10,000 hours in
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

If that's true...

Chacun à son goût…

From my understanding, he plans practice around picking up his kids which forces players to have class scheduling issues. Again, I don't know what's true and what isn't, but if he's done by work at 3:00 every day he's going to be getting outworked. That isn't what successful coaches are doing. Or what anyone I know who is successful is doing for that matter, unless you live out West and work market hours.
Guys who work market hours out west are up by 3-4am.

Now if you differentiated between Capital markers/sales and trading guys vs corporate finance and advisory that would make more sense
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

flalax22 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:10 pm I heard the players struggling to get their classes due to Milliman schedule. If that’s true it’s not good. But let’s remember the last coach was pretty much living at Cordish and while I don’t think anyone will question his work ethic the results were lacking at the end. So I’m not sure how effective keeping that schedule is either
Good point. Flailing arms around doesn’t equal efficacy.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I always love the JH page for wild rumors but this one seems too much. I don’t know how old his kids are but for most schools, pickup would be between 2-3. If he does that, brings them home (to whom? Mom? Sitter? why aren’t they doing pickup?) and then comes back, practice would probably be around 4 or 4:30, which shouldn’t conflict with very many college courses, even labs. If it did, they could start later and the pickup would be even less of an issue. Now, if he left for pickup between 2-3 and DIDN’T come back, and therefore had to have practice before that, that would obviously play hell with classes but I can’t imagine noon practice, that would be insane.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:42 pm I always love the JH page for wild rumors but this one seems too much. I don’t know how old his kids are but for most schools, pickup would be between 2-3. If he does that, brings them home (to whom? Mom? Sitter? why aren’t they doing pickup?) and then comes back, practice would probably be around 4 or 4:30, which shouldn’t conflict with very many college courses, even labs. If it did, they could start later and the pickup would be even less of an issue. Now, if he left for pickup between 2-3 and DIDN’T come back, and therefore had to have practice before that, that would obviously play hell with classes but I can’t imagine noon practice, that would be insane.
I believe one D1 program practices at 11:30/12:30 or so.
“I wish you would!”
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

pcowlax wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:42 pm I always love the JH page for wild rumors but this one seems too much. I don’t know how old his kids are but for most schools, pickup would be between 2-3. If he does that, brings them home (to whom? Mom? Sitter? why aren’t they doing pickup?) and then comes back, practice would probably be around 4 or 4:30, which shouldn’t conflict with very many college courses, even labs. If it did, they could start later and the pickup would be even less of an issue. Now, if he left for pickup between 2-3 and DIDN’T come back, and therefore had to have practice before that, that would obviously play hell with classes but I can’t imagine noon practice, that would be insane.
If you had to practice between 11-3 that would be pretty hard to work your class schedule around.
I always thought traditional practice times were between 3-7.
Can anyone else confirm this rumor?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

he program parted ways with Seamen because he couldn't seem to navigate a final four to win a championship, at the end of the Petro regime we were lucky to make the playoffs in a given year...“. Incorrect, that is not the reason.

51. I used to read your stuff with some interest until i realized you were making claims with no basis in reality. Knowledge is not evenly distributed. You don’t know Hopkins as much as you would like to believe. If you did you would not write done of the crap you do. I don’t care what you think. People can make up their own minds,
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

OCanada wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:31 am he program parted ways with Seamen because he couldn't seem to navigate a final four to win a championship, at the end of the Petro regime we were lucky to make the playoffs in a given year...“. Incorrect, that is not the reason.

51. I used to read your stuff with some interest until i realized you were making claims with no basis in reality. Knowledge is not evenly distributed. You don’t know Hopkins as much as you would like to believe. If you did you would not write done of the crap you do. I don’t care what you think. People can make up their own minds,
I said the quoted text, not 51. Unless your two paragraphs in this post are distinct thoughts your beef is with me, unless we're all just 51 alts... I hadn't considered the possibility that I might not be real... I also fully admit I was rather young when the Seamen change happened and still have little insight into the programs inner workings and to be honest it doesn't much matter why he was let go for the point to stand about the rest of that discussion. But historically looking back on it, it could certainly appear that way. Seamens teams were real good and they just didn't get the job done. Milliman is the only coaching change in Hopkins history that was actually inheriting a sh*t show in terms of the goings on on the field of play.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

semen was really swimming upstream by the time he left. it was starting to look like long odds that one of his charges was going to land in the title game. for semen, it seemed like it was time for a youth infusion at the helm to get it done.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:18 am semen was really swimming upstream by the time he left. it was starting to look like long odds that one of his charges was going to land in the title game. for semen, it seemed like it was time for a youth infusion at the helm to get it done.
I see what you did there. I had a conversation with my 12 year the other day wherein I assured him that fart jokes are always funny, no matter how old you get.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:32 pm

If that's true...

Chacun à son goût…

Guys who work market hours out west are up by 3-4am.

Now if you differentiated between Capital markers/sales and trading guys vs corporate finance and advisory that would make more sense
Right. I was more so pointing to the time they might end their day.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

there are wild rumors because the mainstream lacrosse media treats thinks everyone is protected and unaccountable. case in point a)quint "there is no administration support"-never backed up w/on the record evidence b)mark dixon "let me tell you how I feed at my sons tailgate which has nothing to do with hopkins lacrosse or the big ten" c)carc "I went to syracuse have you heard and how great gait is going to be" d)edward lee "Don't even cover Hopkins anymore because losing lacrosse has the readership interest of 0" e) terry foy "Why doesn't the SEC have lacrosse also Rabil has a new marketing deal w/a soft drink that will change lacrosse forever" f) xanders "Sure my rankings have been woefully off for a decade but just want you to know #rolltide"
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

There is so much bs on this thread! :P
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Loss to Delaware doesn't look so bad now

On another note:

Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:28 pm Loss to Delaware doesn't look so bad now

On another note:

Thanks for the clip - it appears PM actually recruits midfielders to play midfield. Cool.

Now, all we need to do is move McDermott to his natural position at attack, and I think we'll be ready for Delaware and Navy next year
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”