Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Brownlax

Re: Coaching Carousel 2023

Post by Brownlax »

The coaching carousel feed has already started on the D1 men’s thread. What’s it going to look like this year for D1 women?
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:38 pm The coaching carousel feed has already started on the D1 men’s thread. What’s it going to look like this year for D1 women?
Vanderbilt? Hewitt’s 5th year at the helm and it seems things have been getting worse and not better. Not recruiting good players or at least not getting good players in any meaningful numbers. When I have watched some games online I have seen a couple of solid players, but no depth. Not sure why a coach can’t sell Vanderbilt and Nashville to high school players and their parents. But I have never coached so I don’t know what all the obstacles may be.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

TNLAX wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:40 pm
Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:38 pm The coaching carousel feed has already started on the D1 men’s thread. What’s it going to look like this year for D1 women?
Vanderbilt? Hewitt’s 5th year at the helm and it seems things have been getting worse and not better. Not recruiting good players or at least not getting good players in any meaningful numbers. When I have watched some games online I have seen a couple of solid players, but no depth. Not sure why a coach can’t sell Vanderbilt and Nashville to high school players and their parents. But I have never coached so I don’t know what all the obstacles may be.
Vandy put a nice year together last year with an 11-7 record and a 12-7 record the year before. This year they are 3-11 which is obviously not good. 2 of those 3 wins were against Colorado and Penn State which is not too shabby. I don't see the school parting ways with her at this point.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:54 pm
TNLAX wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:40 pm
Vandy put a nice year together last year with an 11-7 record and a 12-7 record the year before. This year they are 3-11 which is obviously not good. 2 of those 3 wins were against Colorado and Penn State which is not too shabby. I don't see the school parting ways with her at this point.
My point is that a lot of the girls on those 12-7 n 11-7 teams were recruited under the Swezey regime. Hewitt completely owns the last two classes.

Agree after this years poor record a change probably won’t happen but another year like this years won’t be good.
Dasher

Re: Coaching Carousel 2022-2023

Post by Dasher »

Pure speculation but …would it surprise anyone if Kimel of Duke retires? Been there 25+years. Felt like this year was somewhat of a stretched effort adding so many transfers/grads to an already veteran team. I-8 in the ACC. Last conference title was 2007. Unless they win the conference championship, they will not make or even be eligible for the NCAA tournament. Great coach with an amazing legacy, but maybe it’s time to change things up.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

I had mentioned previously that Stanford HC is a good candidate to cut and run ... and since then a good source told me she actually applied for the Clemson job. Wonder if she will try and jump ship? Also wonder how long Bokker's contract is at OSU. They are not trending in the right direction and it seems like she is running out of time.

Dartmouth extended Alex McFadden's contract until 2028.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Is is fair to say if John Danowski or Lars Tiffany had the same record as Kimmel and Julie Myers the past few years, they would be gone?

If so, how is that fair to female student athletes at UVA and Duke? Shouldn’t they demand more accountability for their programs?
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am Is is fair to say if John Danowski or Lars Tiffany had the same record as Kimmel and Julie Myers the past few years, they would be gone?

If so, how is that fair to female student athletes at UVA and Duke? Shouldn’t they demand more accountability for their programs?
Interesting point. UVA parted ways with Dom only five years after winning a national championship. He had won four national championships in the 17 years preceding his last year at the helm. There does seem to be a double standard at Virginia.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:21 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 am Is is fair to say if John Danowski or Lars Tiffany had the same record as Kimmel and Julie Myers the past few years, they would be gone?

Interesting point. UVA parted ways with Dom only five years after winning a national championship. He had won four national championships in the 17 years preceding his last year at the helm. There does seem to be a double standard at Virginia.
There are a bunch of schools that just don't seem to care about their women's lacrosse programs. They don't care about wins and losses and they don't care that players are leaving the programs.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:56 am

There are a bunch of schools that just don't seem to care about their women's lacrosse programs. They don't care about wins and losses and they don't care that players are leaving the programs.
Have there been large groups of players leaving UVA and Duke?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:03 am I had mentioned previously that Stanford HC is a good candidate to cut and run ... and since then a good source told me she actually applied for the Clemson job. Wonder if she will try and jump ship? Also wonder how long Bokker's contract is at OSU. They are not trending in the right direction and it seems like she is running out of time.

Dartmouth extended Alex McFadden's contract until 2028.
Not the only job she applied for.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:19 pm

That’s the right question. And the answer is “no”. Nobody leaves. In fact, Duke and uva continue to be two of the most coveted landing spots for top recruits. Why? Great schools. Competitive programs that are nearly always in the top 20 and often in the top 10. Coaches who are respected leaders and good people.
I love debating lax programs and rankings—but let’s be honest. Women’s college lax (and men’s too) is an amateur sport played while getting a degree.
If the players are happy, the team is competitive and the coach provides them with a great experience while the are getting their degree, the impetus to make a coaching change is—and should be—very low. Because the notion that a program has high odds of getting a better coach than kimmel or myers in both the “good coach” and “good person” dimensions is laughable. (See louisville, Stanford, Colgate,asu, etc).

Uva and duke coaches check those boxes emphatically.
Btw, the coaching change at uva men didn’t happen until 1) a player killed another student, 2) two players were suspended at the insistence of their teammates and 3) they didn’t win an acc game for 4 years.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:11 pm
If the players are happy, the team is competitive and the coach provides them with a great experience while the are getting their degree, the impetus to make a coaching change is—and should be—very low. Because the notion that a program has high odds of getting a better coach than kimmel or myers in both the “good coach” and “good person” dimensions is laughable. (See louisville, Stanford, Colgate,asu, etc).

When was there a coaching issue at ASU?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 am

I thought the issue at ASU was the first coach. Then TM did well and moved on to Hopkins. Have not kept track of how Taryn is doing.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:39 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:33 am

I thought the issue at ASU was the first coach. Then TM did well and moved on to Hopkins. Have not kept track of how Taryn is doing.
ASU is having a tough year at 4-12 with wins coming against St. Bonaventure, Oregon and Cal twice.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Players unhappy with cutthroat culture set by new coach versus old one. And results not good either. Huge step backwards.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:51 pm Players unhappy with cutthroat culture set by new coach versus old one. And results not good either. Huge step backwards.
ASU is 4-12 on the year under a new coach.

In 2022 they were 11-8 and in 2021 they were 10-6 all under Tim McCormack.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:51 pm Players unhappy with cutthroat culture set by new coach versus old one. And results not good either. Huge step backwards.
That's unfortunate to hear.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:19 pm

That’s the right question. And the answer is “no”. Nobody leaves. In fact, Duke and uva continue to be two of the most coveted landing spots for top recruits. Why? Great schools. Competitive programs that are nearly always in the top 20 and often in the top 10. Coaches who are respected leaders and good people.
I love debating lax programs and rankings—but let’s be honest. Women’s college lax (and men’s too) is an amateur sport played while getting a degree.

Uva and duke coaches check those boxes emphatically.
Btw, the coaching change at uva men didn’t happen until 1) a player killed another student, 2) two players were suspended at the insistence of their teammates and 3) they didn’t win an acc game for 4 years.
Was a bit of a rhetorical question because I raised a similar point weeks ago haha, but I agree with everything you are saying. Louisville was actually a team I was going to bring up as well. They were having a lot of success under the previous coach but the player experience was terrible for many. The opposite is just as possible - positive student athlete experience with limited on-field success.

I remember filling out anonymous feedback surveys at the end of each season (don't know if this was a state-school think or if it's done at private schools as well), but if they feedback for the coaches is good, I can't imagine their jobs being in jeopardy, particularly for a non-revenue sport. Retention is good, alumni network is large and support seems strong, but what do I know..
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

tothedraw wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:49 pm
That's unfortunate to hear.
And a pretty weak 2024 recruiting class and a couple decommits in their 23 class. Under ASU strikes gold in transfer portal, this won't end well.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”