Jared Bernhardt

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DALaxDad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 am Easy call: Belichick grabs him as an undrafted free agent. A blend of Chris Hogan(lax)/Julian Edelman (qb) redux conversion to special teams and slot receiver.
Everyone thinks Belichek found Hogan but he didn’t start w Pats. Spent 3-4yrs attached to bills either practice squad man 52 man roster.

In other words Belichek is overrated
FFG - who actually played him in a big game?
the Bills had no big games back then ;)
This is correct. As the son of a long suffering Bills fan there hasn’t been any games that mattered until very recently since basically they became loveable losers for dropping 4 straight super bowls 30yrs ago.
[/quote]

I can't take credit for the original post - that credit goes to SCLaxAttack. FFG, you recall who coached the Giant's defense in the first one of those Bill's super bowl losses?
[/quote]

Parcells :)

Edit: but I’m just more focusing on this “oh because Belichek once had a lacrosse guy on his roster he will invisibly draft Bernhardt” type thinking.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:01 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:40 pm
Bart wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:10 pm
DALaxDad wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:14 am Easy call: Belichick grabs him as an undrafted free agent. A blend of Chris Hogan(lax)/Julian Edelman (qb) redux conversion to special teams and slot receiver.
Everyone thinks Belichek found Hogan but he didn’t start w Pats. Spent 3-4yrs attached to bills either practice squad man 52 man roster.

In other words Belichek is overrated
FFG - who actually played him in a big game?
the Bills had no big games back then ;)
This is correct. As the son of a long suffering Bills fan there hasn’t been any games that mattered until very recently since basically they became loveable losers for dropping 4 straight super bowls 30yrs ago.
I can't take credit for the original post - that credit goes to SCLaxAttack. FFG, you recall who coached the Giant's defense in the first one of those Bill's super bowl losses?
[/quote]

Parcells :)

Edit: but I’m just more focusing on this “oh because Belichek once had a lacrosse guy on his roster he will invisibly draft Bernhardt” type thinking.
[/quote]

:lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:42 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:59 am
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:35 am
127205020 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 pm Former Terps Lacrosse Star Jared Bernhardt Honoring Dad Jim With Ferris State Football
November 12, 2021 James Hartner

https://pressboxonline.com/2021/11/12/f ... -football/
Nice article. Amazing what Jared Bernhardt is accomplishing at Ferris State.

Not sure he will be drafted in the NFL draft (only three or so are drafted each year from Division II), but I have to imagine some team would be interested in signing him as a free agent and seeing what he can do as a running back or on special teams (maybe punt or kick returner?). How about special situations as a mobile QB (red zone, within five yards of goal or on 3rd-and-short situations). Bernhardt doesn’t have bad size for a rusher. Can imagine him as a useful scout team member.

Will be interesting to see what he does. He’s a winner, no denying that.

DocBarrister
Make a camp and show you can be valuable on special teams -that’s the path to making a roster or practice squad.
Yep. And making even the practice squad of an NFL team is no small feat.

Ian Book, winningest QB of all time at Notre Dame, was on the Saints’ inactive list for much of the season (but still making a million bucks for the trouble). And Book was actually drafted by the Saints.

DocBarrister
Practice squad players make like $150-$175k for 1/3 of an actual calendar year to work out. Something like $9k/week.
That sounds right, but Ian Book was drafted and signed a $4 million+ four-year rookie contract.

Read that the Saints coaching staff are impressed with him and are being patient in his development.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:15 pm Jared Bernhardt goes for 176 on the ground with 3 TDs today. Added 75 passing yards and a TD. Ferris State finishes their regular season undefeated and the number one team in the country.
Those are crazy numbers.

Would be hard to believe if he doesn’t wind up in an NFL training camp somewhere. Active roster, of course, is a different story, but who would wager against Jared Bernhardt if that is something he really wants?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 pm
127205020 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:38 pm Former Terps Lacrosse Star Jared Bernhardt Honoring Dad Jim With Ferris State Football

Not sure he will be drafted in the NFL draft (only three or so are drafted each year from Division II), but I have to imagine some team would be interested in signing him as a free agent and seeing what he can do as a running back or on special teams (maybe punt or kick returner?). How about special situations as a mobile QB (red zone, within five yards of goal or on 3rd-and-short situations). Bernhardt doesn’t have bad size for a rusher. Can imagine him as a useful scout team member.

DocBarrister
Make a camp and show you can be valuable on special teams -that’s the path to making a roster or practice squad.

Ian Book, winningest QB of all time at Notre Dame, was on the Saints’ inactive list for much of the season (but still making a million bucks for the trouble). And Book was actually drafted by the Saints.

DocBarrister
Practice squad players make like $150-$175k for 1/3 of an actual calendar year to work out. Something like $9k/week.
That sounds right, but Ian Book was drafted and signed a $4 million+ four-year rookie contract.

Read that the Saints coaching staff are impressed with him and are being patient in his development.

DocBarrister
QB's get all the glory, honey's and money...Bernhardt isn't likely to catch on as a QB like that. What was Book because that's about 1/3 more than Ali Marpet's first deal as end of second round draft pick, so with inflation and QB's getting the hookup it sounds like maybe 4th Rd? I don't recall draft picks like I used to but watched Book plenty in college.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:03 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:49 pm

DocBarrister

DocBarrister

DocBarrister
QB's get all the glory, honey's and money...Bernhardt isn't likely to catch on as a QB like that. What was Book because that's about 1/3 more than Ali Marpet's first deal as end of second round draft pick, so with inflation and QB's getting the hookup it sounds like maybe 4th Rd? I don't recall draft picks like I used to but watched Book plenty in college.
Agree with your comments, and you are correct … fourth round draft pick. All-time Notre Dame QB leader in wins, and led the Irish to two College Football Playoffs.

I think Will Yeatman made decent money, too … and he was a free agent who spent about three years on practice squads and a couple of years on special teams.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Between his strong season at Ferris St, lacrosse pedigree, and his father's history with football, the NFL will definitely know about him.

His pre-draft testing will be big for him to get a shot. I remember Eric Mangini saying something to the effect of, to get interested in lower level college players he needed to see something athletically eye-popping in their pro day workouts to back up gaudy stats or highlights. Danny Woodhead was the example. He was basically the Reggie Bush of D2, but didn't really pique the Jets interest until after a 4.38 40 time, 38" vertical, and 20 reps of 225 on bench when he crashed the University of Nebraska pro day.

Bernhardt will need to switch positions (slot receiver? 3rd down RB?) but if he proves he has speed/athleticism that translates to the NFL, there's an interesting blend of short-term benefit and longer-term potential he could bring to an NFL club. With the increasing number of mobile QBs, and the recent increase practice squad roster size, maybe there's a sweet spot as the scout team QB in the 4-5 weeks his team is facing a speedy QB and the rest of his time he works on the position where he could potentially crack the roster. It's probably not a path to Canton but a possible wedge into the league for awhile.

It's probably more likely that he's in the PLL by the end of the summer than he becomes the next Julian Edelman, but I think he at least gets a cup of coffee with the NFL—bare minimum of a rookie camp invite from the Pats or Ravens imo.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:01 am Between his strong season at Ferris St, lacrosse pedigree, and his father's history with football, the NFL will definitely know about him.

His pre-draft testing will be big for him to get a shot. I remember Eric Mangini saying something to the effect of, to get interested in lower level college players he needed to see something athletically eye-popping in their pro day workouts to back up gaudy stats or highlights. Danny Woodhead was the example. He was basically the Reggie Bush of D2, but didn't really pique the Jets interest until after a 4.38 40 time, 38" vertical, and 20 reps of 225 on bench when he crashed the University of Nebraska pro day.

Bernhardt will need to switch positions (slot receiver? 3rd down RB?) but if he proves he has speed/athleticism that translates to the NFL, there's an interesting blend of short-term benefit and longer-term potential he could bring to an NFL club. With the increasing number of mobile QBs, and the recent increase practice squad roster size, maybe there's a sweet spot as the scout team QB in the 4-5 weeks his team is facing a speedy QB and the rest of his time he works on the position where he could potentially crack the roster. It's probably not a path to Canton but a possible wedge into the league for awhile.

It's probably more likely that he's in the PLL by the end of the summer than he becomes the next Julian Edelman, but I think he at least gets a cup of coffee with the NFL—bare minimum of a rookie camp invite from the Pats or Ravens imo.
This seems all what I see as well. Except every NFL team is looking under rocks so not so sure it's just Pats/Ravens. Very few are still entrenched in the draft from big name schools and CYA as much these days.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

If someone like Malcom Perry, who is getting bounced all around in the NFL...w/quite similar skill set and size, I wonder what advantage JB brings that Malcom did not. Maybe it is a timing thing with need of NFL teams...same thing happened with Kennon Reynolds.

JB also had the chance to play football at Navy and opted for a lacrosse at UMD, that may tell the story that football was his 2nd love?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Or may not have wanted to make the five year post grad commitment.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Bernhardt's Dad, RIP, spent years around the league and was Bill O'Brian's right hand man at the end, he's definitely gonna get a fair look at a team for camp and PS and then who knows
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Big Rapids, Mich. - A pair of Ferris State University football senior standouts have been chosen as recipients of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) Player of the Week awards following the conclusion of regular-season play this past weekend.

FSU senior quarterback Jared Bernhardt (Longwood, Fla.) was tabbed as the league's offensive player of the week while senior linebacker Liam Daly (Jackson) garnered the conference defensive player of the week award.

The duo helped lead the top-ranked Bulldogs to a 35-13 win over Wayne State on Saturday in the regular-season finale at Top Taggart Field. FSU claimed its third consecutive outright GLIAC Championship and the program's third-straight unbeaten regular-season campaign.

With the two selections this week, the Bulldogs have now had eight different players combine to win a GLIAC Player of the Week Award a total of 13 times to date in the 2021 campaign. FSU had at least one honoree in nine of the 10 weeks in which the Bulldogs played in the regular season this fall. Daly was honored for the first time in his collegiate career while Bernhardt garnered the recognition for the fifth time this year.

Bernhardt ran for a game-high 176 rushing yards and three scores while completing six-of-12 passes for 75 yards and score. Overall, he accounted for four touchdowns as the Bulldogs rolled up 434 rushing yards and 554 yards of total offense in the win. He scored three consecutive second-half touchdowns and accounted for all four of the Bulldogs' second-half scores as FSU broke the game open after leading only 7-6 at halftime. Bernhardt averaged more than seven yards a carry in the contest.

Daly had one of his best games as a Bulldog in his final regular-season home contest, leading FSU with a team-high eight tackles, including six solo stops and two tackles for loss (-11 yards) in addition to a blocked kick and a quarterback hurry. His play helped the FSU defense limit the Warriors to only 195 yards of total offense, including only 64 rushing yards on 34 attempts (1.9 average) and a two-of-14 (14%) showing on third down. The Bulldog defense gave up only six points until a late Wayne State drive in the final minutes with reserves on the field.

The win was the Bulldogs' 38th-straight regular-season victory and 31st consecutive GLIAC win dating back to 2017.

FSU has received its seventh consecutive NCAA Division II Playoff berth as the top overall seed in Super Region Three. The Bulldogs earned a first-round bye and will host either fourth-seeded Grand Valley State or fifth-seeded Lindenwood (Mo.) on Saturday, Nov. 27, at Top Taggart Field. Stay tuned for the official game time and ticket information coming soon.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:01 am Between his strong season at Ferris St, lacrosse pedigree, and his father's history with football, the NFL will definitely know about him.

Excellent points. Thank you.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:44 am Or may not have wanted to make the five year post grad commitment.
He wanted a more traditional college experience.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟭 𝗚𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗖 𝗙𝗼𝗼𝘁𝗯𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗣𝗹𝗮𝘆𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗬𝗲𝗮𝗿

Jared Bernhardt // Ferris State

https://twitter.com/gliacsports/status/ ... 01636?s=21
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

What's more impressive: Jared's year at Ferris or Pat Spencer's year at Northwestern?

Higher level of play at Northwestern but on a bad team. Lower level of play but making a huge impact on a really good team at Ferris.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Spencer. 1/5 on the floor has more impact than 1/22
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HARLON HILL TROPHY! Congrats to Bulldog senior QB Jared Bernhardt on being one of the nominees for the 2021 Harlon Hill Trophy as the top D2 Player in the country! bit.ly/3CP9TXN

https://twitter.com/ferrisathletics/sta ... 89218?s=21
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:06 pm Spencer. 1/5 on the floor has more impact than 1/22
Spencer. That’s a high level and he was more than competitive.
“I wish you would!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:06 pm Spencer. 1/5 on the floor has more impact than 1/22
Spencer. That’s a high level and he was more than competitive.
Just because Northwestern is in the B1G doesn't mean that they play at a high level. Clearly, they didn't at 8-23 on the season that year. They lost to Merrimack by 10 that year, and Merrimack was in its first year of transitioning from D2 to D1.

Being the 2nd best player on a really bad D1 team or being the best player on the...so far...top D2 team? Interesting philosophical question.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”