New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:57 am
DMac wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:54 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:40 pm why are the Black players ALL primarily on defense?? I would love to get some answers to these questions.
Any questions now about why Wood is playing D?
The 17.4 mph runner is incredible on that end of
the field.

DMac...I would like you to really think about your answer above. Say it to yourself a few times, then imagine how that must sound to me. It really sounds and comes off as (you insert the proper word here).

It seems that Kayla was a 2 way Middie in HS, but in college she was pretty much a defender. I wonder why? Fair question? And I am in no way speaking for Kayla. She played a solid role for UNC in her career, appearing in 66 games and starting in 33. I still wonder why JUST a defender? I know if she had been a client of mine, I would have trained her as a 2 way Middie and insisted that she present herself to perspective College Coaches as such. I have watched a lot of Middies who go on both sides of the field and Wood could have been right there with the best of them.

BTW...where did you get the 17.4 mph runner from?
17.4 was on the broadcast.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:40 pm why are the Black players ALL primarily on defense?? I would love to get some answers to these questions.
the field.

DMac...I would like you to really think about your answer above. Say it to yourself a few times, then imagine how that must sound to me. It really sounds and comes off as (you insert the proper word here).

It seems that Kayla was a 2 way Middie in HS, but in college she was pretty much a defender. I wonder why? Fair question? And I am in no way speaking for Kayla. She played a solid role for UNC in her career, appearing in 66 games and starting in 33. I still wonder why JUST a defender? I know if she had been a client of mine, I would have trained her as a 2 way Middie and insisted that she present herself to perspective College Coaches as such. I have watched a lot of Middies who go on both sides of the field and Wood could have been right there with the best of them.

Honest question here Larry, you indicate that you would have your client present herself as a 2 way Middie to college coaches. If a coach said, great but it will take a couple of years for you to get on the field or you can come in and play on the defensive side of the ball right away. What would you advice be for your client?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

totc wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:46 pm
Ask Gina Oliver and Cherie Greer, too.

Don't need to ask...know them both. And they were 2-way Middies!
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 am

Same with Thornton and Coffy - the 2-way middies part
DMac

Post by DMac »

the field.

I don't have to repeat this question a few times or think about it, I thought about it before I posted it and I don't know why that question would sound any different to you than it would to anyone else. You insinuated earlier on that the black girls were playing on the D end of the field for reasons other than that is the place they will/can best help their teams. When you asked the question about why that might I answered exactly that, that is likely what the team/captain thought that was the place where they could be the most effective/could help the team win the most. If this league ended yesterday, Ms Wood would be crowned the champion the way this point system works. I'd say they have this gal in the right place and I don't think she's playing where she is for any other reason than because of how damn good she is there. If that makes me come off as, insert the proper word, so be it as I don't see it as a color thing at all.
It seems that Kayla was a 2 way Middie in HS, but in college she was pretty much a defender. I wonder why? Fair question?
Don't know anything at all about her HS career and didn't really see her all that much in college, enough to know she was pretty darn good though. Is it a fair question? You're second guessing the coach and and suggesting that you might have used her differently based on her skill set, so sure, it's a fair question. If the, I wonder why part is suggesting that she was moved to that position because she is black, then no I don't think it's a fair question because again I believe she was played at the position the coach saw she would best help the team. I really don't believe that the coach didn't want her shining at the O end of the field because she is black...not buying that.
And I am in no way speaking for Kayla. She played a solid role for UNC in her career, appearing in 66 games and starting in 33. I still wonder why JUST a defender? I know if she had been a client of mine, I would have trained her as a 2 way Middie and insisted that she present herself to perspective College Coaches as such. I have watched a lot of Middies who go on both sides of the field and Wood could have been right there with the best of them.
I absolutely believe she has the talent to be a two way middie, but I also believe that had she wanted to be she would have been. She's the captain of the team this week, calling the shots, no one is keeping her on the D end of the field but herself and I'm bettin' that's because that's where she wants to be. I really think you're seeing/creating a problem here where there is none (yes, I realize that we as a country have a long way to go regarding racism but I'm just not seeing it in this particular situation and again, I believe you're seeing things that just aren't there in this instance...all JMHO, of course).

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:45 am I don't have to repeat this question a few times or think about it, I thought about it before I posted it and I don't know why that question would sound any different to you than it would to anyone else.
Well put.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 am
the field.

Honest question here Larry, you indicate that you would have your client present herself as a 2 way Middie to college coaches. If a coach said, great but it will take a couple of years for you to get on the field or you can come in and play on the defensive side of the ball right away. What would you advice be for your client?
Bart, that's not a bad question. I don't want to see a player who has talent and potential on the offensive side of the ball get that taken away due to some athletic stereotype about Black players. Think about in Football how for the longest of times Blacks could not be Quarterbacks, Centers and Middle Linebackers. Remember? Things didn't change until the athletes insisted on staying at those positions and not changing to another. Some paid the price...and others went on to become Warren Moon(after the NFL took 7 years from his career). So is this what you want for Lacrosse? I never did.
And to fully answer your question, I did tell a client recently, just that. A lot of coaches were looking at her strictly as a defender because "she's fast and athletic". Never heard that before. :roll: So she's going to play for a coach who told my client that she reminds her of herself. She's going to play for Gina Oliver Thomas at Cincinnati. Gina was a 2 way Middie and probably the greatest 2 way player to ever come from Thee Ohio State University.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:15 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:03 am
the field.

Bart, that's not a bad question. I don't want to see a player who has talent and potential on the offensive side of the ball get that taken away due to some athletic stereotype about Black players. Think about in Football how for the longest of times Blacks could not be Quarterbacks, Centers and Middle Linebackers. Remember? Things didn't change until the athletes insisted on staying at those positions and not changing to another. Some paid the price...and others went on to become Warren Moon(after the NFL took 7 years from his career). So is this what you want for Lacrosse? I never did.
And to fully answer your question, I did tell a client recently, just that. A lot of coaches were looking at her strictly as a defender because "she's fast and athletic". Never heard that before. :roll: So she's going to play for a coach who told my client that she reminds her of herself. She's going to play for Gina Oliver Thomas at Cincinnati. Gina was a 2 way Middie and probably the greatest 2 way player to ever come from Thee Ohio State University.
Thank you for your thoughts.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:01 am
the field.

Where the Hell did THEY get that from? Did someone clock her like Steve Austin and Jamie Summers?
(Bonus Points if you know where those two characters are from)
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:18 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:11 am

Same with Thornton and Coffy - the 2-way middies part
Way to go wlaxphan20! Showing that Lacrosse history knowledge.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:58 am
DMac wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:45 am I don't have to repeat this question a few times or think about it, I thought about it before I posted it and I don't know why that question would sound any different to you than it would to anyone else.
Well put.

Did you enjoy that? Well put? Not really, but he was honest in his thoughts and I'll respond appropriately.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:22 pm
the field.

Where the Hell did THEY get that from? Did someone clock her like Steve Austin and Jamie Summers?
Bionic man and woman
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:58 am
Well put.

Did you enjoy that? Well put? Not really, but he was honest in his thoughts and I'll respond appropriately.
What makes you doubt the veracity of my comment?
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:22 pm Where the Hell did THEY get that from? Did someone clock her like Steve Austin and Jamie Summers?
* Jaime Sommers
(Any points for correct spelling?) 😉
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

the field.

It’s not uncommon at all for midfielders in high school to be switched to defense in college. Look at Meg Douty or Caroline Wakefield
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac...was there a particular reason your response was in Red? Should I infer something from that? :lol:

I don't expect you to EVER see some of these things as I do. You're not me. You haven't had my experiences being involved in this game. You haven't experienced some of the things that my friend's daughters have experienced with this sport. My guess is that you would be surprised...I'm not.

Kayla played a lot in college and had a solid career. You watch her now in the AU league and she looks terrific. I see that and I wonder why she wasn't a two way Middie? I know a guy who has a son who is a Sophomore in HS and he is one of the best players in the country in his class. The young man is Black and when his dad post stuff about him on FB, he will often put the hashtag #YesWePlayAttack. I asked him about that and when he told me the reason, then I understood. That's why I want to see more Black Girls on attack because #YesWePlayAttack. If a girl has the athletic ability and the drive, but lacks on some levels the skills, then a good coach can teach the skills. Skills are something you learn and acquire through teaching. I do it and have done it for years with 3 Sports, so I know it can be done.

I'm not creating or seeing a problem that is not there, think about this for yourself.
1. How many Black Girls have you seen on all the Lacrosse fields you've ever been on? Playing with your kids or against your kids?
2. Out of all of the college games you have watched, how many Black offensive players have you ever seen?
3. Saying that we still have a long way to go regarding racism is accurate. Lacrosse is part of that because it's not immune.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Bart wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:31 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:22 pm
the field.

Bionic man and woman

Ding, Ding, Ding...you control the Board. Correct, Select!
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:32 pm Larry, click on here at 1:08.52.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXMBbU8JLwY&t=1790s

He didn't say how they were doing it did he? Radar Gun or some other device to calculate speed? I heard none of that or did I miss it?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:58 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm The push/hit and subsequent broken stick from Pirecca against Wakefield - wow
Playing three days in a row which is bound to take its toll on the athletes bodies--it does seem only a matter of time before someone really gets injured, nor can we rule out an altercation that could turn physical. Do you think the league decided the rough stuff will help them get where they're trying to get? (Which now that I pose the question is where exactly?)
Wow a lot of these players just shooting with no regard to where the defenders are...

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”