Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm ohmi, not sure I saw you comment... would you have preferred Lehigh over HC this weekend?
not ohmi, but to be clear tech... i prefer holy cross!!!
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:42 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:38 pm ohmi, not sure I saw you comment... would you have preferred Lehigh over HC this weekend?
Ha... a moment of clarity for you?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I don't really have a preference. I have some priorities for what I want to see.
1) Get Phaup some rest
2) Figure out what they're going to do when he's not winning face offs
3) Improve defending picks behind the goal
4) Get guys experience at positions where we'll need depth, like ssdm and lsm

I don't know which game would've helped the most with these things. Lehigh has a good FOGO from what I understand, so they might not have given Phaup much rest if SU played Lehigh. If he is fresher for the upcoming ACC games, then that's good enough for me.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm
I don't really have a preference. I have some priorities for what I want to see.
1) Get Phaup some rest

I don't know which game would've helped the most with these things. Lehigh has a good FOGO from what I understand, so they might not have given Phaup much rest if SU played Lehigh. If he is fresher for the upcoming ACC games, then that's good enough for me.
I agree about Phaup... no rest vs the Lehigh fogo. I think Lehigh and Vermont are very similar in style and strengths at positions. Like UVM they would have been a tough out for Cuse. Would have been an awesome game. Oh well, coaches know what they're doing.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:46 pm
Ha... a moment of clarity for you?
nope! special subjective interest!
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm
1) Get Phaup some rest

I agree about Phaup... no rest vs the Lehigh fogo. I think Lehigh and Vermont are very similar in style and strengths at positions. Like UVM they would have been a tough out for Cuse. Would have been an awesome game. Oh well, coaches know what they're doing.
I'm deathly afraid Phaup is gonna wear down or get hurt. Have you seen him diving around, getting doubled, slashed and hitting the ground? It seems like other fogos are getting the ball out quicker.
DMac

Post by DMac »

JD has a way of working his FOGOs like rented mules, makes me a little crazy. I doubt it makes much difference who they play or what the score is, Phaup will be out there for the lion's share of face offs whether they're up by 12 or down 2. Drove me completely out of my mind with Williams in that respect, that poor kid was like the walking wounded by the time he left. Really would like to see him give some other FOGOs a shot out there when the opportunity presents itself (should have been using them much earlier in the Vermont game). If they're not cutting it, it's not as if you can't send Phaup back out there.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:55 pm
tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:53 pm
1) Get Phaup some rest

I'm deathly afraid Phaup is gonna wear down or get hurt. Have you seen him diving around, getting doubled, slashed and hitting the ground? It seems like other fogos are getting the ball out quicker.
That's the wrestler in him. He likes it that way. Seriously, it would be great if Varello/Garlow can fill in.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:57 pm JD has a way of working his FOGOs like rented mules, makes me a little crazy. I doubt it makes much difference who they play or what the score is, Phaup will be out there for the lion's share of face offs whether they're up by 12 or down 2. Drove me completely out of my mind with Williams in that respect, that poor kid was like the walking wounded by the time he left. Really would like to see him give some other FOGOs a shot out there when the opportunity presents itself (should have been using them much earlier in the Vermont game). If they're not cutting it, it's not as if you can't send Phaup back out there.
Yeah, getting early reps to Varello or whoever can compete makes sense. The last two seasons it seemed the coaches were alternating Phaup and Varello much more frequently, and it seemed to keep them fresh and it seems to limit runs a bit.
Thor1

Post by Thor1 »

1) Get Phaup some rest

Lehigh's Sisselberger is the best in college today (and that includes Irelan)...Phaup should be happy if they don't play....Don't get me wrong, Phaup is very good but I have been thoroughly impressed with Sisselberger thus far.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Here ya go wgdsr... check out that first twitter entry re JD (insert green toothy grinner)

https://twitter.com/CraneAndrew/status/ ... _&ref_url=
Last edited by tech37 on Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:57 pm JD has a way of working his FOGOs like rented mules, makes me a little crazy. I doubt it makes much difference who they play or what the score is, Phaup will be out there for the lion's share of face offs whether they're up by 12 or down 2. Drove me completely out of my mind with Williams in that respect, that poor kid was like the walking wounded by the time he left. Really would like to see him give some other FOGOs a shot out there when the opportunity presents itself (should have been using them much earlier in the Vermont game). If they're not cutting it, it's not as if you can't send Phaup back out there.
Yeah I've seen some have the opinion that Varello has not been able to adjust to the new rules, which may be true but I'd like to see him get some more opportunites. Good point about Williams and I think you're spot on. As far as Phaup one of the things that I hope they're addressing in practice is the wing play. Something I'm seeing is that when Phaup isn't winning draws cleanly , a lot of times he's getting roughed up by the other teams wings. I'd hope they're having players working on boxing out there guy so Phaup doesn't take so many shots.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

ohmilax34 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:01 pm
Yeah, getting early reps to Varello or whoever can compete makes sense. The last two seasons it seemed the coaches were alternating Phaup and Varello much more frequently, and it seemed to keep them fresh and it seems to limit runs a bit.
Varello really came on last year and gave SU a real nice 1-2 punch. However, prior to last year he was up and down and lost the starting job to Phaup after the Colgate debacle a few years ago. The current issue is that Varello was more of a technique guy and has really been adversely effected by the change in the rules. He's winning only 28% and looks like a shell of the guy from last year. Savage got a lot of praise in the pre-season and its very surprising he hasn't gotten any looks, I hope that changes on Saturday.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:38 pm
Here ya go wgdsr... check out that first twitter entry re JD (insert green toothy grinner)

yes. from a daily orange article or presser. as i said, if you read it, they chose holy cross as opposed to lehigh. who didn't all of a sudden become available, it was their bye. other option bandied about was taking the weekend off.
staff and desko's call, no doubt. might not matter if they get their acc wins. or if vt, sbu, albany? or a combo look good.
tough slog, that acc this year.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:58 pm

yes. from a daily orange article or presser. as i said, if you read it, they chose holy cross as opposed to lehigh. who didn't all of a sudden become available, it was their bye. other option bandied about was taking the weekend off.
staff and desko's call, no doubt. might not matter if they get their acc wins. or if vt, sbu, albany? or a combo look good.
aaargh... you're a piece of work. It reads as though HC contacted JD before Carcaterra contacted Lehigh. They spoke and decided before Lehigh was a factor. There was no choice on JD's part since the agreement with HC was already set. I wouldn't keep going on about this but you jumped in again.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:08 pm

aaargh... you're a piece of work. It reads as though HC contacted JD before Carcaterra contacted Lehigh. They spoke and decided before Lehigh was a factor. There was no choice on JD's part since the agreement with HC was already set. I wouldn't keep going on about this but you jumped in again.
carcaterra had nothing to do with anything.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... ssion=true
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... e-scramble
they discussed 3 options. they decided on holy cross and gave them right of first refusal. this is syracuse and they are holy cross.

so they contacted holy cross. their right. all of which i said. no one from cuse called to ask my opinion, however! i like you tech, what could you be mad at?

if it makes you feel better, i posted elsewhere and think the hoos should've taken up the game as well! they may need it. my comment wasn't on guts or anything other than what i felt was increasing their chances given what we know now, and might infer.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm

they discussed 3 options. they decided on holy cross and gave them right of first refusal. this is syracuse and they are holy cross.

so they contacted holy cross. their right. all of which i said. no one from cuse called to ask my opinion, however! i like you tech, what could you be mad at?

if it makes you feel better, i posted elsewhere and think the hoos should've taken up the game as well! they may need it. my comment wasn't on guts or anything other than what i felt was increasing their chances given what we know now, and might infer.
I feel just fine... and who's mad? JD's quote again:

“I think probably the timing is good for Holy Cross. We talked to them first, and they responded within the timeline and gave us a positive answer.”

We'll have to agree to disagree. Enjoy you're evening wgdsr.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:54 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:44 pm

I feel just fine... and who's mad? JD's quote again:

“I think probably the timing is good for Holy Cross. We talked to them first, and they responded within the timeline and gave us a positive answer.”

We'll have to agree to disagree. Enjoy you're evening wgdsr.
disagree on what? you just quoted that they responded within the timeline after selecting them over lehigh. the latter of which i said previously?

if you're saying that because of tweets they shouldn't change course (which you did say days ago), i agree with you 100%. if they made an offer, they shouldn't ever rescind that. you're as good as your word. never meant to imply otherwise.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sad news about Rob Kavovit.

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/mountpl ... 45/805254/

DocBarrister :cry:
@DocBarrister
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15