D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxbuck

Re: UVA LACROSSE 2021

Post by Laxbuck »

How much time is Jeff Conner getting?
molo

Post by molo »

Not much. First midfield is two attackmen and Garno. Second is Aitken with Dickson, Harris, and 12. Shellenberger, Cormier, and Bertrand play both attack and midfield. There is rarely a possession that doesn’t include one of the “first midfield” or, more recently, Aitken. I think 4 played earlier but not against Loyola.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Lars Tiffany Quote about Army pertaining to the upcoming Cuse matchup:
Virginia beat the Black Knights two weeks ago, but despite the common opponent, head coach Lars Tiffany says there’s only so much you can borrow from Army’s gameplan.
“You can see how Army defended them, and go, ‘Oh, that’s a really good idea,’” says Tiffany. “But because we played Army, we know how athletic the Army defensemen are. We know that they have 6-foot-2, 215 pound shortstick defensive middies who eat nails for lunch, so it’s like, ‘OK, we can’t leave people on islands.’”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:17 pm Lars Tiffany Quote about Army pertaining to the upcoming Cuse matchup:
Virginia beat the Black Knights two weeks ago, but despite the common opponent, head coach Lars Tiffany says there’s only so much you can borrow from Army’s gameplan.
“You can see how Army defended them, and go, ‘Oh, that’s a really good idea,’” says Tiffany. “But because we played Army, we know how athletic the Army defensemen are. We know that they have 6-foot-2, 215 pound shortstick defensive middies who eat nails for lunch, so it’s like, ‘OK, we can’t leave people on islands.’”
and have your goalie make 7 or 8 doorstep saves, 4 or 5 of the out of your *** category. sure, it's a plan, but tough to master.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:28 pm
blue angels wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:17 pm Lars Tiffany Quote about Army pertaining to the upcoming Cuse matchup:
and have your goalie make 7 or 8 doorstep saves, 4 or 5 of the out of your *** category. sure, it's a plan, but tough to master.
I am assuming that isn't coach speak from Lars. Virginia has already faced 2 excellent defensive units and some highly skilled individual defenders but were still quite successful. When you see Bertrand and Cormier getting shorted at times, you know a D is in a real quandary. Let's hope we play well....... I expect a much better version of Cuse than the one Army faced so it should be a hard fought contest. Cuse will put it all together.However; I would prefer that it take them another week.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:28 pm
I am assuming that isn't coach speak from Lars. Virginia has already faced 2 excellent defensive units and some highly skilled individual defenders but were still quite successful. When you see Bertrand and Cormier getting shorted at times, you know a D is in a real quandary. Let's hope we play well....... I expect a much better version of Cuse than the one Army faced so it should be a hard fought contest. Cuse will put it all together.However; I would prefer that it take them another week.
he was talking about not taking army's defensive performance (and syracuse's offensive) as one we could necessarily copy exactly. that neutering syracuse in the same way is just a blueprint.

i agree. they have to look at how uva can stop them, given personnel.
molo

Post by molo »

Losing to the Cuse in Dome happens. Losing by 10 sets a series record. Will there be any changes for the upcoming games against High Point and Air Force, or will the flaws that were exposed this evening go unaddressed against weaker opponents?
The issues that came out against SU will not go away against Duke, ND, and UNC. The problems start in the middle of the field. When LaSalla can’t win a face-off, he needs help from his wings. The best ssdm, who was making his first appearance, got hurt. He needs to get healthy and the others, ineffective tonight, need to improve because UNC and Duke have corps of middies that rival SU.
As nice as it is to have versatile offensive players, it’s time to recognize who dies what best and put them in spots to
maximize their potential. The best offensive player should be quarterbacking the offense as an attackman. The two big lefties are effective switching between attack and midfield although it would make sense to have the more complete player play attack and let the one who capitalizes on mismatches come out of the box more. Some fans, who I assume have seen first team All Americans play attack at UVA, mistake an excellent player who is realistically a third team or AM attackman, for the best player on the team. There is one guy on this team who is likely to become a first team AA attackman before he graduates. I just told you just number.
This is a talented team? Will they contend for the NC or simply dominate inferior opponents while wilting against elite teams? Was tonight’s embarrassment simply a bad outing or a harbingyof the ACC schedule?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

everybody has takes.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 pm The best ssdm, who was making his first appearance, got hurt. He needs to get healthy and the others, ineffective tonight, need to improve because UNC and Duke have corps of middies that rival SU.
Not sure I completely agree with that take. #34 covered Chase Scanlan all game and held him to 1-1. I’d say that’s fairly effective when you have a ssdm covering an AA attackman.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:43 am
molo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 pm The best ssdm, who was making his first appearance, got hurt. He needs to get healthy and the others, ineffective tonight, need to improve because UNC and Duke have corps of middies that rival SU.
Not sure I completely agree with that take. #34 covered Chase Scanlan all game and held him to 1-1. I’d say that’s fairly effective when you have a ssdm covering an AA attackman.
Scanlan can’t dodge. You put a shortie on him because compared to other AA attackmen, it’s an easier assignment.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

In either the Munro or another interview Lars said they were bussing up instead of the usual flight. That can't help.
Rode was rusty at the start, shooting gallery later. Even for potent offenses like UVa, getting a lead and putting the other team under pressure is key, especially a team coming off a bad loss.
CW is Duke, UNC, Orange deeper at O mid than 'Hoos. If true, why? Recruiting, or lack of trust in underclassmen?
molo

Post by molo »

There are some pretty big recruits who are barely seeing the field at middie. Either they are not showing much in practice, or the coach is just committed to running his top few guys as much as possible. Some do prefer a rotation in which essentially someone on the first midfield is in for every possession. I lean toward running two offensive midfields with the option of throwing out a power unit on occasion. That is obviously not the view of this coach. If you look at the pt of the "second" middies--10, 33, 6, 12, 4, for example--it's a wonder that they are ever warmed up enough to get into the flow of the game.
Again, the elephant in the room is what is going on with the all time leading middie goal scorer.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

molo, damn, you said things i agree with!
lotta of guys saw the field early vs towson, and did well. we played fast.
lars talks in interviews about getting everybody time and in there and satisfying everyone. but now we're back to 5 guys see the majority of field action. everybody else cheerleads. we wear down, in game or maybe eventually. it won a championship, so hoo's to say?

rhe other thing is... 6 isn't one of those guys.

the bussed up friday. had a light practice. probably another on saturday. legs underneath, no excuse. they got outworked and outplayed.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:15 pm molo, damn, you said things i agree with!
lars talks in interviews about getting everybody time and in there and satisfying everyone. but now we're back to 5 guys see the majority of field action. everybody else cheerleads. we wear down, in game or maybe eventually. it won a championship, so hoo's to say?

the bussed up friday. had a light practice. probably another on saturday. legs underneath, no excuse. they got outworked and outplayed.
I don’t understand it. It’s about the damndest thing I have seen. Sort of like Mark Macon at Temple? Wasn’t even on with the 2s at some points...
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:50 pm Losing to the Cuse in Dome happens. Losing by 10 sets a series record. Will there be any changes for the upcoming games against High Point and Air Force, or will the flaws that were exposed this evening go unaddressed against weaker opponents?
The issues that came out against SU will not go away against Duke, ND, and UNC. The problems start in the middle of the field. When LaSalla can’t win a face-off, he needs help from his wings. The best ssdm, who was making his first appearance, got hurt. He needs to get healthy and the others, ineffective tonight, need to improve because UNC and Duke have corps of middies that rival SU.
As nice as it is to have versatile offensive players, it’s time to recognize who dies what best and put them in spots to
maximize their potential. The best offensive player should be quarterbacking the offense as an attackman. The two big lefties are effective switching between attack and midfield although it would make sense to have the more complete player play attack and let the one who capitalizes on mismatches come out of the box more. Some fans, who I assume have seen first team All Americans play attack at UVA, mistake an excellent player who is realistically a third team or AM attackman, for the best player on the team. There is one guy on this team who is likely to become a first team AA attackman before he graduates. I just told you just number.
This is a talented team? Will they contend for the NC or simply dominate inferior opponents while wilting against elite teams? Was tonight’s embarrassment simply a bad outing or a harbingyof the ACC schedule?
I was stunned by the outcome and remain so.After watching the game twice.....? RPP (Rocky Point Petey) looked off his game.Of course that Phaup chap was en fuego.Hell of a backstory with that young man
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:24 pm

I don’t understand it. It’s about the damndest thing I have seen. Sort of like Mark Macon at Temple? Wasn’t even on with the 2s at some points...
macon's a good one. markelle fultz?

starting at least the umd quarters game, conrad was getting the pole in the nc$$s. don't know if there's a connection. i expect things to change.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Same thin roster at Brown.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:55 pm

starting at least the umd quarters game, conrad was getting the pole in the nc$$s. don't know if there's a connection. i expect things to change.
Fultz had an injury....shoulder problem. Could not raise his arm above his shoulder.....a better comp is maybe Keith Lee? Remember him?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Fultz had an injury....shoulder problem. Could not raise his arm above his shoulder.....a better comp is maybe Keith Lee? Remember him?
memphis? great college player. don't remember him wearing a uni in the nibba. what happened to him?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:42 pm

memphis? great college player. don't remember him wearing a uni in the nibba. what happened to him?
Exactly. All I remember is that he was told he needed to bulk up...he came back with all the bulk in his stomach!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”