Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 am I was at a farmers market last week and picked up a bumbleberry pie. It was bumblelicious. There is no bumbleberry. It’s a pie of the Canadian Maritime provinces made of a mix of berries and can contain rhubarb.
I love that! A local farmers market also sells it. I may pick up one today!
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:37 pm Actually, a s, the pine nuts do make a bit of a difference I think. Not huge of course but the the added texture is kind of nice and they are pretty tasty little things. I was going to go with the female version at first but thought I'd follow the recipe inasmuch as it was the first time I was making it and might as well do it right. Got some basil in the herb garden too and that was fresh parsley from the garden too. I think that dish could be much better served than with just bread, am bettin' it would be pretty good on rice.
Maybe some risotto with a splash of that Sumac or another middle eastern spice. and a few mushrooms.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am I have to get some pine nuts and try it again since I’ll be getting some soon to make a patch of pesto with my garden basil.
I like to use thinly sliced almonds, then finely chop them, with my home made pesto.
Good point. I do the same with pesto as pine nuts go rancid quickly and almonds work effectively. On pesto I learned from an Italian chef to use basil 4:1 or 4:2 with baby spinach. It tones down the intensity of the basil without diminishing and gives the product a brighter green color.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:16 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:58 am I have to get some pine nuts and try it again since I’ll be getting some soon to make a patch of pesto with my garden basil.
I like to use thinly sliced almonds, then finely chop them, with my home made pesto.
Good point. I do the same with pesto as pine nuts go rancid quickly and almonds work effectively. On pesto I learned from an Italian chef to use basil 4:1 or 4:2 with baby spinach. It tones down the intensity of the basil without diminishing and gives the product a brighter green color.
Great idea with the spinach.

Funny story....my wife, not the chef in the house thought it would be nice to make us salads for dinner one evening as I was arriving home late. I walked in the house and knew it was going to be a tough go. Needless to say, instead of lettuce and/or spinach, the entire salad was all basil leaves. 😂😂 I said nothing after we had grace, let her dig in first, then watched her eyes close as she slowly stopped chewing. She then proceeded to whence a bit as we both smiled. Talk about some potent explosion of the taste buds that had a very peculiar burn. 😂😂
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:06 pm On pesto I learned from an Italian chef to use basil 4:1 or 4:2 with baby spinach. It tones down the intensity of the basil without diminishing and gives the product a brighter green color.
Here's one for your pesto, and you know that's got to be tasty.
It's the first one in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1RxYhkZRR8
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Was watching a replay of a boxing match and enjoyed a milk shake made of vanilla bean ice cream, sweet whipped cream, cup of raspberry yogurt, and nearly frozen fruit punch. Mmmm, mmm, good!

:mrgreen:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:25 pm Was watching a replay of a boxing match and enjoyed a milk shake made of vanilla bean ice cream, sweet whipped cream, cup of raspberry yogurt, and nearly frozen fruit punch. Mmmm, mmm, good!

:mrgreen:
Just the first two ingredients are amazing enough, I’d had stopped there. But you can’t go wrong with anything raspberry.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

^ fer sure

Today I made myself another treat: ice cream, cool whip, 3 Oreo cookies, touch of milk ~ all put into my blender, topped with cinnamon & cracked almonds and touch of maple syrup.

Remember the old motto: be good to yourself. :)
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

OK foodies ~ who among you are in a mood for some delish Spam and banana fritters:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/OIP.REsUEqbei ... mgDet&rs=1

Oh goody, oh goody!

DMac

Post by DMac »

Dickens Cider, need to get some for the gf/wife.
Too funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfzxesxk_Yo
DMac

Post by DMac »

Anyone ever try this? Equal parts grape jelly and BBQ sauce, heat it up and blend it.
Makes a pretty good sweet and sour sauce, could spice it up with some cayenne if
you want a little bite to it. Goes good with those little cocktail dogs too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This one's just for you, TLD. Check this out, butcher happened to be by the case when I was checking these out. Sell by date is 9/24, I asked him how close to the sell by date before they mark them down. He said I should mark those down now, how many you want? I said well, one of 'em anyway. When I saw what he marked them down to, I bought three of them...I aint no foo'. Aussie butterflied leg o' lamb....Aussie's is the best lamb, hands down. Saved $52...pretty nuts.
Picture below this one too.
One of 'em cookin' right now...damn!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:00 pm Anyone ever try this? Equal parts grape jelly and BBQ sauce, heat it up and blend it.
Makes a pretty good sweet and sour sauce, could spice it up with some cayenne if
you want a little bite to it. Goes good with those little cocktail dogs too.
I know you’re high if you’re mixing hot foods with grape jelly!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:03 pm This one's just for you, TLD. Check this out, butcher happened to be by the case when I was checking these out. Sell by date is 9/24, I asked him how close to the sell by date before they mark them down. He said I should mark those down now, how many you want? I said well, one of 'em anyway. When I saw what he marked them down to, I bought three of them...I aint no foo'. Aussie butterflied leg o' lamb....Aussie's is the best lamb, hands down. Saved $52...pretty nuts.
Picture below this one too.
One of 'em cookin' right now...damn!!
That looks excellent
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta go with the excellent here, Ffg, was mighty tasty. medium sized potatoes quartered and baked, olive oil and seasoning on 'em, dipped in a little sour cream, little bit of broccoli too. Throw in a little pre meal herbs and excellent indeed. ;)

Didn't see the bbq-grape jelly comment, too funny. Sounds nuts, buddy had mentioned it to me several times, I thought about the same as you do. Finally tried it and he wasn't wrong. He worked in a couple of different restaurants as a teen, said when they put those little cocktail dogs out for happy hour, that was the sauce they were in. Equal parts, brotha, give it a shot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 pm Gotta go with the excellent here, Ffg, was mighty tasty. medium sized potatoes quartered and baked, olive oil and seasoning on 'em, dipped in a little sour cream, little bit of broccoli too. Throw in a little pre meal herbs and excellent indeed. ;)

Didn't see the bbq-grape jelly comment, too funny. Sounds nuts, buddy had mentioned it to me several times, I thought about the same as you do. Finally tried it and he wasn't wrong. He worked in a couple of different restaurants as a teen, said when they put those little cocktail dogs out for happy hour, that was the sauce they were in. Equal parts, brotha, give it a shot.
I’ll pass on the sour cream. Everything else works.

My mom used to make these crock pot little hot dogs using jelly and some other stuff. Like most of the crap she liked-liverwurst, port wine cheese on ritz crackers, tuna fish with chopped celery in pita pockets, it was all fairly tasty but now I realized they wouldn’t serve that food in a gulag in Siberia.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:00 pm Gotta go with the excellent here, Ffg, was mighty tasty. medium sized potatoes quartered and baked, olive oil and seasoning on 'em, dipped in a little sour cream, little bit of broccoli too. Throw in a little pre meal herbs and excellent indeed. ;)

Here you go dmac. Not nearly as impressive and I seriously miscalculated the size of my wrap so it's more like a taco for lunch.

Spring mix
Gouda (reduced fat that sargento stuff)
Chopped up onions
Chopped bell (green) pepper
Cut up sliced ham
Cut up sliced turkey
Wing sauce!

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Looks tasty......I just finished my homemade Pimento Cheese w/Avocado Triscuts and a handful of smokehouse almonds. That pimento cheese is like crack......put it on some garlic Naan bread for pizza, or on top of a cheeseburger, even used it in place of Dukes Mayo on a BLT with some fresh maters' out of the garden.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:11 pm Looks tasty......I just finished my homemade Pimento Cheese w/Avocado Triscuts and a handful of smokehouse almonds. That pimento cheese is like crack......put it on some garlic Naan bread for pizza, or on top of a cheeseburger, even used it in place of Dukes Mayo on a BLT with some fresh maters' out of the garden.
Pimento Cheese - one of the worst things the south has ever produced IMO. But I cant stand mayo, cream cheese ,cottage cheese, ranch/blue cheese dressing. I'm trying to get white sauce out of my body, not put it in!

Duke's, recall looking at thier credit facilities doing a decent sized bank merger maybe two years ago. Surprised they make good money.

Like using Naan for different things. Need to do that more. Ever try making it? I took a lesson from a grill guy named Steve Raichlen a few years back and got to use his clay hearth thing where you slap it against the side to cook.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Had a nice meal Saturday night with the gal at home. Roast rack of lamb with herbes de Provence crust, pomme purée, asparagus, roasted and curried cauliflower with a bottle of 1997 Chateau Ducru-Beaucaillou 2eme St-Julien (Bordeaux). Magnificent all around. Brie and baguette to finish the wine. Bought the wine in 1999 before release when I lived in San Francisco. It was time to open it. FYI, 2eme is 2nd grand cru classe in Medoc. Next step down from the Premier Crus such as Ch Lafite, Ch Margaux, Ch Latour etc.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”