Coaching Carousel Pre-2020 Season

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Coaching Carousel Post-2019 Season

Post by oldjayfan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:07 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:36 pm Sarcasm. I think Amplo is a good coach, but if his recruiting forté (and I don't know, just going by the previous "x important players from Canada" comment is accurate, I don't see how Navy benefits. What/where are his US pipelines/contacts/strengths?
He was trying to recruit players to come to Milwaukee!!!

Let me know what hotbed players are getting in line to go out there.

He took a start-up new D1 program and had them in the tourney twice, competing against established programs.

And as for his pipeline? Coach is a Long Island guy. From the Danowski tree, and coached on the island.

Y’all are brutal... Think Navy made a great hire.
Agreed. Well said. The selfless Mids have a selfless coach once again.

...from "the good land!"
Pot meet kettle...Exactly!

Sowell took Dartmouth to the tourney(with no Canadians)--that has to trump any MU success! He took SBU to the quarters and took Navy a goal away from the final four just 3 years ago. I hope Coach Amplo does well, just wish Sowell got a little support from the peanut gallery...
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:49 pm Serious question: what exactly has Kevin Cassese accomplished as a coach that Dan Chemotti has not?

Cassese:
1 year at Stonybrook as assistant
2 years at Duke as assistant
One national championship game appearance at Duke
Head Coaching Record at Lehigh: 103-89, including 39-40 in the last five years

Chemotti:
2 years at Dartmouth as assistant
2 years at St. John's as assistant
5 years at Loyola as assistant
One national championship as Offensive Coordinator at Loyola
Head Coaching Record at Richmond: 65-38, including 59-27 in the last five years

I have no idea if Chemotti is ready to move after all his success at Richmond. I just don't understand all the hype/love for Cassese. Seems to me like Chemotti should be the heir apparent to Dino at Duke, not Cassese.

Again, just plug in Amplo for Cassesse here. How is Amplo is great hire? Did Navy even consider Chemotti.

I have never met Chemotti in my life. Just happen to admire what he has done at Richmond and don’t understand why guys like Amplo, Cassesse, etc. are constantly brought up ahead of him. Jon Torpey at High Point is another guy like Chemotti.

I am underwhelmed with this Navy hire. If you weren’t going to go get Toomy, Tillman, etc. why not get a guy who has won games in the past 2-3? Not a guy who is under 500 the past 3 years.
I have met Chemotti. I have met his players and his transfers. I live in the area. I have seen his games. I admire what he has done at a school that does not have a rich lacrosse tradition to draw from, an expensive tuition and little name recognition. I do not believe in any way he would be the right coach at Navy. I wish him continued success at Richmond or if he decides to leave wherever he winds up at.

Side note one: Richmond right now is experiencing a dramatic growth in local talent. Coach Chemotti has his pulse on this. Some slip away, some stay, some look at Richmond as plan B. Having a competitive D1 program at home instead of 60+ miles down I64 can only increase lax participation there.

Side note two: As mentioned at another blog site (I got too much time on my hands) three of the name brand candidates Navy was looking at declined to be interviewed. A couple of ways to look at this: (A) good job to search team for at least aiming high, (B) Be serious, navy has not been an A1 location for decades even back to the 70's (C) wow, not even an interview....has Navy fallen that far? (D) The package being offered only is attractive to a certain level of coach. (E) All of the above.

Side note three: Not mentioned so far, certain bloggers are quick to point out SA recruits have to be different due to what will be demanded of them and this puts the SA at a recruiting disadvantage. Ok, put that aside for a second. The coach too must be different and I think Coach Amplo meets the requirements. Quoting from the Annapolis newspaper:

"He <Coach Amplo> has also been involved with the Friends of Jaclyn Foundation <pediatric brain cancer care> and the Milwaukee Eagles wheelchair lacrosse team, which he partners with the Milwaukee Veteran Administration Hospital to help coach disabled and able-bodied United States veterans.

Amplo was the 2016 recipient of the USILA Howdy Myers Man of the Year Award, presented in honor of one of the sport’s most outstanding coaches. The annual award goes to an individual who has contributed to the game of lacrosse in a capacity over and above the normal efforts and in so doing, has shown unselfish and untiring devotion to the game."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Well said! It is much more the X's and O's and W's and L's. Coach Amplo does not have the W/L background to "statistically" justify the value he brings....but his actions beyond Marquette Lacrosse speak much louder, and THAT is what is appealing and brings a huge upside.

Whenever you listen to or read to a player interview, it often revolves around the relationship with the coach and team, seldom does it focus on the record. Except.... when the losses correspond with NOT hearing about the coach?
Last edited by youthathletics on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Tillman, Toomey & Chemotti played the Navy AD, enough said..
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:44 am Not a thread-jack but has any school in this coaching carousel released their recruits from their NLI? Silly talk I know.
2019 recruits could probably ask for a release from the NLI at school where a coaching change has occurred, but where would they go? They have already been admitted and it might be tough to transfer at this point. Would they follow the former coach to the new school?
2020 recruits have some time to figure it out. A new coach will probably be hired by the end of the summer, if not much sooner, and the recruit will be in a better position to decide whether to sign the NLI this fall or look at alternatives.
Recruits to Navy don't sign a NLI so it doesn't apply. As pointed out later today, no NLIs in the Ivy League too.
The first tenet of recruiting is choose the school, not the coach. Assessing that risk of a coach leaving should be a part of the recruiting process.

You comments on the Navy search are interesting and it seems like you might have been close to the process. There are intangibles that Amplo brings to the table.
Do you know if Chemotti was contacted and interviewed? Why don't you think that he would have fit given his track record? Did you interact with him in a recruiting environment?
Was Jon Birsner of VMI contacted? Do you think that he would have fit? I think that you said that it will be Brisner eventually on another thread.
On your side note two above, which scenario do you think fits the best?
Last edited by laxpere on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Chemotti was contacted and AD threw a big number at him...he declined(he is also an RS disciple).

Big splash? FWIW:
RS last 3 years 21-20
JA last 3 years 20-24
I guess it isn't W's/L's; although the Navy peanut gallery may feel differently--stay tuned..
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 am Well said! It is much more the X's and O's and W's and L's. Coach Amplo does not have the W/L background to "statistically" justify the value he brings....but his actions beyond Marquette Lacrosse speak much louder, and THAT is what is appealing and brings a huge upside.

Whenever you listen to or read to a player interview, it often revolves around the relationship with the coach and team, seldom does it focus on the record. Except.... when the losses correspond with NOT hearing about the coach?
BZ youth...once again, one of your most insightful comments yet.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Fairfield put out a statement that HC position is still open. Sources yesterday were saying Yale’s DC had the job.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:19 am Well said! It is much more the X's and O's and W's and L's. Coach Amplo does not have the W/L background to "statistically" justify the value he brings....but his actions beyond Marquette Lacrosse speak much louder, and THAT is what is appealing and brings a huge upside.

BZ youth...once again, one of your most insightful comments yet.
Yes, until the L's start to pile up!!
old salt

Post by old salt »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:30 am Big splash? FWIW:
RS last 3 years 21-20
JA last 3 years 20-24
I guess it isn't W's/L's; although the Navy peanut gallery may feel differently--stay tuned..
Compare conf tourney performance & results vs conf top dog (Denver as Loyola).
I suspect that caught the AD's eye.

Army victory N stars look good on a letter sweater (or bath robe).
Diminished if followed by a PL Tourney loss to Army.
" Regular season champion" = resume padding, if you don't take advantage of it
& squander the higher seed or home field advantage.
Gotta win the games that matter most. 0-5 in PL Tourney games. Missed tourney the other 3 years.
Navy's only post season success came 1 year, as a fluke bubble team at-large selection, during a Loyola off year.

Maybe Amplo was the biggest name who was seriously interested. Grateful that he was.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

20-24 over last 3 years and ZERO NCAA wins...that "fluke bubble team" beat Yale and came within a goal of beating Brown to go to the FF.
Compare that +1
CU77

Post by CU77 »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 am Tillman, Toomey & Chemotti played the Navy AD, enough said..
No, it's not "enough said". What do you mean by "played", exactly?

If they were made offers, they declined. Last I heard, people in this country still have the freedom to accept or decline job offers as they choose, for any and all reasons. And they also have the right to get all the details of the offer before making a decision.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

No NLI's at the Ivy's either (Harvard in this thread), just FYI.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

CU77 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:04 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:29 am Tillman, Toomey & Chemotti played the Navy AD, enough said..
No, it's not "enough said". What do you mean by "played", exactly?

If they were made offers, they declined. Last I heard, people in this country still have the freedom to accept or decline job offers as they choose, for any and all reasons. And they also have the right to get all the details of the offer before making a decision.
"Played" for leverage, smart move on their parts. Happy to break it down for my Ivy friend ;)
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

I'm surprised Dylan Sheridan's name isn't mentioned by the lacrosse media as a candidate for any of these vacancies, particularly Harvard and now Marquette. Degree from an elite school in Claremont McKenna, MLL playing experience, relatively young, multiple final four trips under his father in law at Denver, Ivy experience at Princeton for a season when they were co regular season Ivy champs, and very impressive under the radar HC experience at Cleveland State. To have a winning record vs. a D1 schedule and an RPI in the low 40's in year 3 at a school without a conference and not in close proximity to any hotbeds is remarkable. Cleveland State only lost by 2,3, and 4 goals vs. their B1G opponents UM, OSU, and PSU and beat 2 teams coming off NCAA tournament appearances in Robert Morris and Canisius. Maybe he prefers to stay at CSU being from the area and with his wife coaching at Kent State. But if I was an AD, I'd be as keen to interview him as much as Amplo, Chemotti, Cassese etc.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:22 pm 20-24 over last 3 years and ZERO NCAA wins...that "fluke bubble team" beat Yale and came within a goal of beating Brown to go to the FF.
Compare that +1
Of course, in 2016 beating Yale didn't mean nearly as much as it would in 2018 onward, while Brown was without Dylan Molloy that game. Still, making it to the NCAA quarters is indeed an accomplishment.
old salt

Post by old salt »

FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:22 pm 20-24 over last 3 years and ZERO NCAA wins...that "fluke bubble team" beat Yale and came within a goal of beating Brown to go to the FF.
Compare that +1
Of course, in 2016 beating Yale didn't mean nearly as much as it would in 2018 onward, while Brown was without Dylan Molloy that game. Still, making it to the NCAA quarters is indeed an accomplishment.
...eeking out that final at-large bid over Rutgers in 2016, after blowing the #1 seed in the PLT to Army, for the 2nd straight year,
just delayed the inevitable for 3 more years.

It provided a brief glimmer of what once was, & might be again.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

redfoxalum wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:57 pm I'm surprised Dylan Sheridan's name isn't mentioned by the lacrosse media as a candidate for any of these vacancies, particularly Harvard and now Marquette. Degree from an elite school in Claremont McKenna, MLL playing experience, relatively young, multiple final four trips under his father in law at Denver, Ivy experience at Princeton for a season when they were co regular season Ivy champs, and very impressive under the radar HC experience at Cleveland State. To have a winning record vs. a D1 schedule and an RPI in the low 40's in year 3 at a school without a conference and not in close proximity to any hotbeds is remarkable. Cleveland State only lost by 2,3, and 4 goals vs. their B1G opponents UM, OSU, and PSU and beat 2 teams coming off NCAA tournament appearances in Robert Morris and Canisius. Maybe he prefers to stay at CSU being from the area and with his wife coaching at Kent State. But if I was an AD, I'd be as keen to interviewing him as much as Amplo, Chemotti, Cassese etc.

Extended family in the area. With a young family, may really take something to get his wife on board with the move. Excellent coach.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

old salt wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:05 am
FannOLax wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm
Compare that +1
...eeking out that final at-large bid over Rutgers in 2016, after blowing the #1 seed in the PLT to Army, for the 2nd straight year,
just delayed the inevitable for 3 more years.

It provided a brief glimmer of what once was, & might be again.
All true, old salt, but the new coach has 0 NCAA wins, and 3 straight disappointing years...FWIW I guess change is good?

Also, Navy beat JHU and held them to only 3 goals(or something like that); Navy took down SU in the Carrier Dome last year. Navy did beat Loyola during RS's tenure...Granted, not enough consistency over the 8 years but that may be the reality going forward. Army had a great year in 2019 and they missed the PLT in 2018; Lehigh has been up and now they seem to be edging lower. Ditto Colgate..BU is on the rise and now Gray is leaving. Holy Cross is making strides. Bucknell had a run, then slipped and now appears to be improving. Outside of Loyola, it just seems really difficult for PL teams to sustain the high road. Marquette has seen a similar rise that has now receded. As much as the D1 landscape changes, it stays the same...
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Gorilla Fan: And as for his pipeline? Coach is a Long Island guy. From the Danowski tree, and coached on the island.Y’all are brutal... Think Navy made a great hire.
When Meade was in charge, there were usually a dozen or more L.I.ers on the roster. This year AWP had 13 island dwellers---including their high scorer--- on the team; Navy had 6. And no Chaminade goalies!

Eager to see how soon Amplo can get that pipeline up and running.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”