TV Announcers Consternation Station

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK25

Re: TV Announcers Consternation Station

Post by HGK25 »

Assuming kickers qualify?... add Matt Stover, great NFL kicker to that list. His son a tremendous goalie for Loyola.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Carc and Q the K we're beyond awful in the Loyola Jays game yammering incessantly about anything other than the game in front. Two height challenged twits trying to outdo one another.
The announcers at the North Carolina game were pathetically annoying with their clearance and attacker nomenclature...!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I'm not a fan of all the subscriptions I need to buy to watch all the games this year, but I will say there are a boatload of great announcers I wouldn't have heard without all the coverage. I don't mind homer announcers, as they've always have a deeper understanding of the team. I've enjoyed listening to them and hearing the art of play by play lacrosse again.
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

Homer announcers are great I agree with the above^ even as monotone as Ryan Powell is for the cuse games he understands the team dynamic well. He also doesnt spend his time acting like he's friends with the players (See Quint and Carc). Best ESPN color analyst is Ward
Freedom1234

Post by Freedom1234 »

I really like Dixon. He really seems to do his homework and does not make it about himself.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

I like Dixon too.

And, I know, Powell takes a minute to get used too, but after the first few home games of the season, I've grown to really like him. The monotone thing is kind of hilarious, but you really sink right into after a bit. I think he could become something of an iconic announcer with such a unique, awkward, love it or hate voice. He's quintessentially upstate, and it's right with the Powell family m.o. to be their own kind of excellent.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

Dave Cottle's color work for the Loyola games is second to none. Dozens of interesting nuggets every game.
Trumansburger

Post by Trumansburger »

Not a commentary on the announcers but a technical issue. The video coverages I've seen have been slow to incorporate the shot clock on the screen. Knowing how much of the 80 seconds remain is a big part of understanding the context of each possession.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I like Powell; you know where his sympathies lie but he's pretty coldly analytical about what's happening on the field. Cottle is very good but sometimes takes too long to make his point as the action keeps going on, especially now with the shot clock. He'd be great in studio halftimes or on review shows.
Need more Ryan Boyle.
The biggest sin of Carc & Quint is that they do know the game, but the dudebro' stuff is way past expiration date. Get a podcast for that. Lax, Restaurants, and Fashion. Gotta be a few dozen out there that'll market to.
Pet peeve: producers who keep the camera on the goalie well after the save and outlet pass. (Any sport with a goalie really). Stick with the action, dumbass.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Powell is what everyone here has said they wanted for years: shut up and talk about the game on the field. If the folks here don't love that guy, then they're just whining for the sake of whining.

Carc and Q aren't talking to us. They're talking to the players. Kids. It shouldn't be such a mystery why so many of the older posters here don't like it.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:10 pmPet peeve: producers who keep the camera on the goalie well after the save and outlet pass. (Any sport with a goalie really). Stick with the action, dumbass.
:oops: Agreed... I wind up aimlessly yelling at the screen when this happens. Big plays/goals have been missed!
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:01 pm UNC vs JHU on ESPN/ACCNE. Where did they get these two? "attackers", "clearance". The woman sounds like she took a quaalude.
I had a similar reaction to the DU-UNC game with announcers. Not sure if it was the same people announcing the games, but they need to find better announcers that know lacrosse at UNC. I'm glad I don't watch North Carolina lacrosse every weekend :lol:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Golic Jr. is part of the crew doing the Md-ND game. An unapologetic ND homer but so far so good, he brings a nice element to the commentary. Both he and Sr. are both definitely fans of the game.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

Jr. and his brother played HS ball in Connecticut I believe. He has made a number of lacrosse references on his ESPN radio show.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I'm glad they have Carc and Quint covering separate games.

Paul Carcaterra and Mike Golic Jr. are pretty good together in the MD-ND game. Although they spend too much time talking about shoveling snow and hair cuts.

I thought Quint Kessenich and Chris Cottle were a good mix too this weekend
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

absolutely an abysmal announcing for the MD-ND game. Maryland in the penalty box? (after Gleason injury)
What for? Ah....who cares. Lets talk about haircuts. What the heck.

And the ref clearly said what anyone that knows the game knows...flag down denotes possession. Faceoff wouldn't have happened if there was 1 second or 199 seconds left on the clock. C'mon Carc
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm absolutely an abysmal announcing for the MD-ND game. Maryland in the penalty box? (after Gleason injury)

And the ref clearly said what anyone that knows the game knows...flag down denotes possession. Faceoff wouldn't have happened if there was 1 second or 199 seconds left on the clock. C'mon Carc
Could not agree more
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Someone needs to tell Carc to shut up. He runs his mouth non-stop.
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Did anyone notice in the JHU-Princeton game that ESPN showed a shot of Bill Dwan on the sidelines with about 5:30 to go in the first quarter 1Q, and ESPN and the announcers called him Dave Pietramala?

They made it worse by then pointing out that Pietramala is one of the most recognizable coaches in the game :lol:

Overall, the Ivy League announcers for the game were excellent on play by play. I just found that snafu funny.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:36 pm absolutely an abysmal announcing for the MD-ND game. Maryland in the penalty box? (after Gleason injury)

Could not agree more
It was painful today. What they did at dinner last night; haircuts; Yorktown; hair products; stick ball; more Yorktown; which announcer spends the most time in the weight room and more. Golic was a distraction. Carc knows the game (other than the rule for possession to start the following period while a penalty is being served) but he can't stay on topic.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”