Michigan 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Michigan 2019

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:34 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:34 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm Michigan needs to get a D1 coach. Then they won't lose these kinds of games.
What is your point?
You know precisely what his point is.
No, I don't.
Live Free or Die!
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

A bizarre string of emails. Drexel loses to High Point in OT. High Point takes down Duke and Virginia. Michigan loses to Drexel in 2 OTs. Wouldn’t that suggest High Point, Drexel and Michigan ahead of Duke and Virginia? Nothing is as it appeared it was in college lacrosse.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:05 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm Michigan needs to get a D1 coach. Then they won't lose these kinds of games.
What is your point?
No, I don't.
I was making fun of all the posters over the years who ragged on Michigan under their previous coach, saying that a new coach was all they needed to be a national championship contender every year.

Cleveland State (coached by a club player) is really good for what little they have infrastructure-wise - they have already played two good B1G teams tight this year. Drexel has beaten really good teams about every year for the past decade.

And in the end, Michigan may win a ton of games this year. Or they may not. That's how lacrosse is nowadays. Conry seems to be a good coach, and we'll eventually see if he turns out to be a great coach. It takes a great coach to keep a team in the top 15 year after year.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:13 pm A bizarre string of emails. Drexel loses to High Point in OT. High Point takes down Duke and Virginia. Michigan loses to Drexel in 2 OTs. Wouldn’t that suggest High Point, Drexel and Michigan ahead of Duke and Virginia? Nothing is as it appeared it was in college lacrosse.
It suggests that every win in Division I is really, really hard to come by.....

And recruiting is more competitive than it has ever been.

Something those who were so certain Coach Paul wasn't doing a fine job, and so sure that top recruits would beat down UMich's door with a "better Coach" might just find out the hard way. As Holmes435 reminds us, the smugness toward UMich and condescension toward Coach Paul was more than a little over the top.

Ask Coach Desko, Coach Pietramala, and Coach Tiffany how easy it is to recruit and win in 2019's Division I...
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 pm
What is your point?
No, I don't.
I was making fun of all the posters over the years who ragged on Michigan under their previous coach, saying that a new coach was all they needed to be a national championship contender every year.

Cleveland State (coached by a club player) is really good for what little they have infrastructure-wise - they have already played two good B1G teams tight this year. Drexel has beaten really good teams about every year for the past decade.

And in the end, Michigan may win a ton of games this year. Or they may not. That's how lacrosse is nowadays. Conry seems to be a good coach, and we'll eventually see if he turns out to be a great coach. It takes a great coach to keep a team in the top 15 year after year.
I don't really recall anyone saying that Michigan would be a national championship contender every year if they got a new coach.
I think the hurdle most Michigan fans would look to get over this season is making the Big Ten tmt and/or the NCAA tmt. Losing to Drexel doesn't help the latter, but there are a lot of games to go.

I would point out that in Paul's last season, the problem was that Michigan got beat badly by the 5 Big Ten teams and Notre Dame.

Hey, "a fan", what do we still have like 8 more years on your prediction that Michigan wouldn't make the final four in the next 10 years?
Live Free or Die!
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am I don't really recall anyone saying that Michigan would be a national championship contender every year if they got a new coach.
Your memory is failing you. Claims of being a natural recruiting magnet to rival any D1 school, and competing for the Final Four every year. And it wasn't just one poster. And no, I don't recall you being any part of that nonsense.
Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am I think the hurdle most Michigan fans would look to get over this season is making the Big Ten tmt and/or the NCAA tmt. Losing to Drexel doesn't help the latter, but there are a lot of games to go.
Yes, there are plenty of games left. Nothing keeping them from running the table from here on out.

I said at the time, and will say again now---making the Big Ten Tourney is one heckuva tall order. It's a ridiculously brutal conference.
Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am I would point out that in Paul's last season, the problem was that Michigan got beat badly by the 5 Big Ten teams and Notre Dame.
And I pointed out then, and I'll point it out now----every year, wins in Division I get harder and harder to earn. None of this is directed at you....you're the best fan on the board.
Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am Hey, "a fan", what do we still have like 8 more years on your prediction that Michigan wouldn't make the final four in the next 10 years?
Yep! And did you notice no one took the bet? I did.

Now how do you remember that wager, but you don't remember all the posters swearing that Coach Paul was the only thing standing in the way of UMich competing for the Final Four every year? :lol: ;)

That wager was an attempt to bring those posters back to Terra Firma. It didn't work. And as I wrote at the time, after those "I've got it all figured out" posters pushed to get Paul canned....they're nowhere to be found now that the rubber meets the road, and the task given to Conry is found to be not all that easy of a task. Drexel was unranked, no? Beat Cleveland St. by just 2?

Tough road ahead......Go Blue!
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am
holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:27 pm
What is your point?
No, I don't.

I don't really recall anyone saying that Michigan would be a national championship contender every year if they got a new coach.
I think the hurdle most Michigan fans would look to get over this season is making the Big Ten tmt and/or the NCAA tmt. Losing to Drexel doesn't help the latter, but there are a lot of games to go.

I would point out that in Paul's last season, the problem was that Michigan got beat badly by the 5 Big Ten teams and Notre Dame.

Hey, "a fan", what do we still have like 8 more years on your prediction that Michigan wouldn't make the final four in the next 10 years?
They will make a final four within 8 years. More than 1, in all likelihood. Maybe, dare I say, a Natty? Probably, good success within the Conry first class years. Infrastructure, a phenomenal education, a tremendous collegiate experience, a solid staff, etc. The game is moving west, slowly. Michigan will be in multiple final fours—jeez, Ohio State got there. In a game where Yale can win a Natty in 2018, the title is wide open for any school that has resources and can attract players.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Ever since their upset win over #1 UVA (at UVA) in 2007, the Drexel Dragons have beaten several “national” lacrosse programs including Denver (at Denver on a Tuesday night), Notre Dame, #4 seeded UPenn in the first round of the 2014 NCAA tournament, a previously undefeated #2 ranked Hofstra (overcoming a 7 goal Hofstra lead at Hofstra), Penn State, and UMass. The Dragons’ program continues to succeed despite the fact that the Drexel campus in West Philadelphia is consistently voted the “ugliest campus” in America and their lacrosse field is located 10 blocks away and is surrounded by high-rise projects and low-end liquor stores.

Although I have not been to aDrexel home game for a couple seasons, I recall that the Dragon lacrosse alumni attend every game and spend most of the game standing behind the goal trashing talking the opposing team’s goalie. I also recall one instance when the goalie’s mother decided to confront the hecklers just as the third quarter was getting ready to begin, demanding that they immediately cease and desist from harassing her son, Billy. Rather than getting into an argument with the mother, the lead trash talker simply turned towards the field and loudly announced that Billy’s mother didn’t think that he was very good either!

The bottom line from my point of view is that Michigan fans should not be too upset by the Wolverines’ loss to Drexel. The 2019 season has barely begun and by the time that the Big Ten tournament comes around you will be watching a completely different team from the one that lost in double OT yesterday.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 am Your memory is failing you. Claims of being a natural recruiting magnet to rival any D1 school, and competing for the Final Four every year. And it wasn't just one poster. And no, I don't recall you being any part of that nonsense.
Michigan is recruiting well, perhaps not great. One might note that they actually stole a top recruit from Syracuse, Josh Zawada, this past fall for their 2019 class. Michigan's 2020 class looks pretty good.
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 am
Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am Hey, "a fan", what do we still have like 8 more years on your prediction that Michigan wouldn't make the final four in the next 10 years?

Now how do you remember that wager, but you don't remember all the posters swearing that Coach Paul was the only thing standing in the way of UMich competing for the Final Four every year? :lol: ;)

That wager was an attempt to bring those posters back to Terra Firma. It didn't work. And as I wrote at the time, after those "I've got it all figured out" posters pushed to get Paul canned....they're nowhere to be found now that the rubber meets the road, and the task given to Conry is found to be not all that easy of a task. Drexel was unranked, no? Beat Cleveland St. by just 2?

I just wanted to keep track of where we were on that conjecture of yours.
Several top programs have gone a number of seasons without making a final four like Virginia and Syracuse, so it would be possible for Michigan to get pretty competitive and not make one in the next 8 years. Still, I think they probably will make a final four in the next 8 years.
Live Free or Die!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:29 am
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 am Your memory is failing you. Claims of being a natural recruiting magnet to rival any D1 school, and competing for the Final Four every year. And it wasn't just one poster. And no, I don't recall you being any part of that nonsense.
Michigan is recruiting well, perhaps not great. One might note that they actually stole a top recruit from Syracuse, Josh Zawada, this past fall for their 2019 class. Michigan's 2020 class looks pretty good.
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:34 am

I just wanted to keep track of where we were on that conjecture of yours.
Several top programs have gone a number of seasons without making a final four like Virginia and Syracuse, so it would be possible for Michigan to get pretty competitive and not make one in the next 8 years. Still, I think they probably will make a final four in the next 8 years.
Is that the class of 2020 in HS or the class of 2020 in college?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

laxfan355 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:44 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:28 pm
laxfan355 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:17 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:50 pm
laxfan355 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 pm . The teams from this point forward on their schedule are all much better than the two teams Michigan has faced so far this season. It's only 2 games into the season, but I am worried about UM.
Jacksonville is Michigan's next opponent. Is Jacksonville much better than Drexel?
While their record may not indicate it, I think Jacksonville is better than Drexel. I think they will be ready to roll against UM.
I don't know about that.
Drexel took High Point to overtime, and High Point has beaten Duke and Virginia
Jacksonville is 0-3, having lost to Detroit. Duke and Marquette.
Point well taken on Drexel, but after Jacksonville, there are no cup cakes on the schedule remaining and this could end up being a very tough year for UM. Offense is certainly much improved this season so far and looks good. D, not so much....Not sure what has changed since last year with the D, they didn't really lose anyone on D. I figured it would be an area of strength for them this year.
since when did the Wolverines get taken off the "cupcake" shelf themselves?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The one coming from High School in 2020.
Live Free or Die!
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:18 pm
laxfan355 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:36 pm . The teams from this point forward on their schedule are all much better than the two teams Michigan has faced so far this season. It's only 2 games into the season, but I am worried about UM.
Jacksonville is Michigan's next opponent. Is Jacksonville much better than Drexel?
While their record may not indicate it, I think Jacksonville is better than Drexel. I think they will be ready to roll against UM.
I don't know about that.
Point well taken on Drexel, but after Jacksonville, there are no cup cakes on the schedule remaining and this could end up being a very tough year for UM. Offense is certainly much improved this season so far and looks good. D, not so much....Not sure what has changed since last year with the D, they didn't really lose anyone on D. I figured it would be an area of strength for them this year.
I don't know, why don't you ask Notre Dame and Penn State?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 pm The one coming from High School in 2020.
geez.....we see the forthcoming recruiting trips to New England will just continue to roll along for Michigan. No good players in the ISL/Founders league :roll:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

laxfan355 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't know about that.
Robby Mo, getting moldy right along with that Wolverine cup cake, on the "fluke" win day olds bargain bargains.

IMHO, besides less than a dozen teams, there are NO cupcakes in Div. I.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:29 am Michigan is recruiting well, perhaps not great. One might note that they actually stole a top recruit from Syracuse, Josh Zawada, this past fall for their 2019 class. Michigan's 2020 class looks pretty good.
That's swell. The problem here is one of omission: you're neglecting to mention that you can say the same exact thing about every team in the top 30.

Hopkins came in as the "super nifty best attack in Division I", according to IL. Right now, they don't have one single kid in the top 30 for Division I scoring. But you already know all of this.
Cooter wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 am I just wanted to keep track of where we were on that conjecture of yours.
Feel free to place a wager on that point! You've got 9 years left.

BTW, Tambroni and his "sure thing" program that is in year 9. Remember how at Laxpower everyone was counting Final Fours when he was announced for that job. And every year it gets harder to make the Final Four, not easier....which is my entire point with those are laughably counting chickens for Michigan's "I just gave up 17 goals to an unranked team. At home." pending multiple Final Fours.

12.5 Scholarships, gentlemen. Unless that changes, get used to seeing kids like Asher Nolting at High Point dropping 4 on UVa on their way to an undefeated record.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Does HIGH point even offer all 12.6 scholarships?
a fan

Post by a fan »

No clue. But can you believe High Point has great players? Nooooo. That's un-possible. :lol:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm
laxfan355 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:32 pm
I don't know about that.
Robby Mo, getting moldy right along with that Wolverine cup cake, on the "fluke" win day olds bargain bargains.

IMHO, besides less than a dozen teams, there are NO cupcakes in Div. I.
+1000
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I have no affinity for Michigan, other than knowing some of the boys on team so like to keep tabs on them etc. Have to say, not being a Michigan “fan”, the venom from some on this thread around the program is perplexing. Seems they doing everything right -recruiting, facilities, bringing in Conry etc. in regard to Drexel - they are no slouch and Michigan really controlled that game for almost 4 quarters. Would have been nice to win givien expectations and future schedule but in a world where anyone can win on any given day, this is not really any different than what has happened across D1 the past few weeks. This team will be fine.

Overall, program had a couple signature wins last year and I believe will be competitive this year and going forward in a brutally tough conference. Unless i missed the comments over the past two years where Michigan fans were talking too big a game for 2019 and beyond i just don’t understand some of the naysayers comments.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”