Duke 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PALax11

Re: Duke 2019

Post by PALax11 »

Uklax wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am
Uklax wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 am
nclaxin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am Crazy part about Duke's Crazy Deep midfield is that is will be Crazy deep for a while...
This point is very true about them being young!

It was only Furman though, preseason rank of about 60! I doubt more than 3/4 of them will actually pan out, but that's enough for first line!
Badour and Montgomery weren't listed as starters and Brad Smith didn't play. Smith may be an attackman when he returns, but that bumps one of the starting attackmen to midfield. Also Manown didn't play according to the box score, so if/when he returns he may bumps an attackmen to midfield. Crazy deep.
Montgomery was obviously a starter this year after his freshman campaign. Badour was more of a surprise yeah but one everyone knew could come good post injury. I don't think Manown is rated by Duke, wouldn't be surprised to not see much of him. Smith coming back though yes does bump someone up
Manown, who has started almost every game since his freshman year, has a hat trick in the first half against High Point.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Danowski up to his early season antics, same-ole, same-ole.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

High Point wins, 13-9, leading most of the game. Coach Torpey showed that it is possible both to drain clock on o and run some zone on d even under the new rules. I was raving earlier about Duke's depth. Tonight, with Smith and Manown back, they used more offensive players and remixed the midfields in response to the zone. Maybe the down side to the depth is not establishing a go to guy. Manown and Carpenter, who essentially split time, led the team in goals, but among the middies, only Seau established himself.
True, Dino will give up a loss early in exchange for progress later, but the accolades tonight go to High Point, who started 0-6 last year and just pulled off the biggest win in program history.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't think there was any antics about it, Duke got outplayed in about every phase of the game. HP GK was out of this world and a big part of the final score. Don't think I've ever seen Duke play as poorly as they did in this one. No doubt they're better than they showed this game, but they got beat fair and square today.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

DMac wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:22 pm Don't think there was any antics about it, Duke got outplayed in about every phase of the game. HP GK was out of this world and a big part of the final score. Don't think I've ever seen Duke play as poorly as they did in this one. No doubt they're better than they showed this game, but they got beat fair and square today.
100% agreement with you on this one. High Point came out looking like they wanted to win more from the first whistle. Very solid showing all around from them.

I didn't see this one coming at all. This is definitely the biggest upset so far of this young season. It could end up being one of the bigger upsets of the season, period.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

If you haven’t followed Asher Nolting, he’s a top player.
All American as a freshman, and he looks, at least this one game, as he’s gotten much better.

Not sure how he got past Tierney and Denver.
Maybe, just not a Tierney type of player.

I see, edit, looks like Nolting committed first to
Air Force.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

19 saves by High Point goalie Troutner
http://www.goduke.com/fls/4200/stats/20 ... du0206.htm
Live Free or Die!
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Expected HP to be all about Nolten, but turns out there's a boatload of talent on offense to spread around. HP looks like a team that has congealed early, Duke on the other hand, not in the least. There's that old saying about Duke and February lacrosse, but maybe this year February is just reality...It looked like every Blue Devil for himself out there.

Troutner....Good lord, he looks leaps and bounds above any goalie I've seen in a while. His anticipation and position before the ball is released is impressive.

Weird thing about this game was that a lot of checks turned into loose balls. I like it.
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

PALax11 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:03 pm
Uklax wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:43 am
ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:50 am
Uklax wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 am
nclaxin wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:42 am Crazy part about Duke's Crazy Deep midfield is that is will be Crazy deep for a while...
This point is very true about them being young!

It was only Furman though, preseason rank of about 60! I doubt more than 3/4 of them will actually pan out, but that's enough for first line!
Badour and Montgomery weren't listed as starters and Brad Smith didn't play. Smith may be an attackman when he returns, but that bumps one of the starting attackmen to midfield. Also Manown didn't play according to the box score, so if/when he returns he may bumps an attackmen to midfield. Crazy deep.
Montgomery was obviously a starter this year after his freshman campaign. Badour was more of a surprise yeah but one everyone knew could come good post injury. I don't think Manown is rated by Duke, wouldn't be surprised to not see much of him. Smith coming back though yes does bump someone up
Manown, who has started almost every game since his freshman year, has a hat trick in the first half against High Point.
Ok so manown shot me down and was clearly injured for game one but my original point of its only Furman not all these players are amazing...definitely stood last night! Where was that Deep midfield? Apart from manown, only a few guys registered points because unlike furman, high point are a good team!
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

Wow. That was an unexpected result. Congratulation to High Point. Clearly outplayed Duke at every position, as well as outcoached.
I know Duke traditionally starts the season slowly as a team and builds during the year, but a few troubling observations. One, individual performance and lacrosse IQ seem to be down compared to years past. Routinely beat individually on offense and defense, below standard stick skills and ball handling, and continued long range shots from the middies on a goalie that was on fire and stopping just about everything outside of 5 yards. Two, the coaching staff seemed out of sorts and unable to find the game plan, playmakers, or make the necessary adjustments. With an apparent lack of superstars the team has had in the past, coaching and team development needs to be much more in tune. Three, while the season has just begun and certainly a lot of time and games remain, this type of loss can be a significant hit on the resume come post-season selection time. Duke may have just put themselves in a box where being a top two team in the ACC and/or a conference tournament finalist is imperative to making the NCAA tournament.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

I am I the only one who noticed the sloppiness of Duke's play last night. There were many dropped passes that should have been caught. As well as many unforced turnovers. I’m sure Dino will fix this, but it isn’t good if this is reoccurring
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I still have no idea why they converted #11 to a SSDM and cannot coach up another to replace him. Terry is fast as lightning, can shoot with both hands on the run, and has a high field IQ
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

High Point vs. Duke (02.06.19) .
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am Expected HP to be all about Nolten, but turns out there's a boatload of talent on offense to spread around. HP looks like a team that has congealed early, Duke on the other hand, not in the least. There's that old saying about Duke and February lacrosse, but maybe this year February is just reality...It looked like every Blue Devil for himself out there.

Troutner....Good lord, he looks leaps and bounds above any goalie I've seen in a while. His anticipation and position before the ball is released is impressive.

Weird thing about this game was that a lot of checks turned into loose balls. I like it.
Nothing weird about it, at all. Frontal assaults were a "thing" for years and years, as military "strategy". The same stubbornness prevails in the coaching ranks....that you can't take the ball away. It's been nonsense for well over ten years, when the rules removed the pinched head.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:14 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 am Expected HP to be all about Nolten, but turns out there's a boatload of talent on offense to spread around. HP looks like a team that has congealed early, Duke on the other hand, not in the least. There's that old saying about Duke and February lacrosse, but maybe this year February is just reality...It looked like every Blue Devil for himself out there.

Nothing weird about it, at all. Frontal assaults were a "thing" for years and years, as military "strategy". The same stubbornness prevails in the coaching ranks....that you can't take the ball away. It's been nonsense for well over ten years, when the rules removed the pinched head.
Many of those loose balls dropping out of sticks where when there was "unsettled" and "transition" situations taking place, not to mention HP applying and maintaining pressure at the same time; keeping them uncomfortable.

When you apply pressure on defense before anyone has time to settle into their nice warm and comfy-cozy sets, you force players to get stressed. Stressed by the pressure, stressed by not doing what coach wants, stressed, be feeling all eyes are on me, stressed by feeling you need to be the man, etc, etc. However, the risk is that d-pressure can backfire when you are not disciplined and athletic enough to cover 1v1.

The duke staff probably wanted that to happen so the players saw first hand how important it is do what they are teaching. Coach D is quite skillful at getting his point across without talking specifically about it.
~Livy
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Ya don't say? It's called sarcasm, Russell. Beyond on-point checks, I'm guessing the 80 second shot clock is going to encourage more loose balls this year and put offensive players in more vulnerable positions to be in contact with defensive sticks. Up tempo play = more gbs. Surprised. It will be interesting to see what the data says come the end of the year in comparison with last year. Surprised Troutner only recorded two on the sheet last night.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 am

Ya don't say? It's called sarcasm, Russell. Beyond on-point checks, I'm guessing the 80 second shot clock is going to encourage more loose balls this year and put offensive players in more vulnerable positions to be in contact with defensive sticks. Up tempo play = more gbs. Surprised. It will be interesting to see what the data says come the end of the year in comparison with last year. Surprised Troutner only recorded two on the sheet last night.
Clearly percentage has certainly dropped......dramatically. Anything to take the game out of the coaches hands, game time, is a great thing. Unless you favor Rick Pitino types.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:19 am
johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:51 am

Clearly percentage has certainly dropped......dramatically. Anything to take the game out of the coaches hands, game time, is a great thing. Unless you favor Rick Pitino types.
The super bowl was awful!!.....it would have been better if the coaches were not allowed to coach. Not enough passing and scoring. Let the players call their own plays...... out of 20 lacrosse teams this season, 7 have scored more than 10 goals in games, the rest have been under. Not sure how it compares to last year but there are more scrums in the middle of the field and more bad outside shots. High Point got more efficient as they drained the clock waiting for a great shot instead of a stupid shot for the sake of shooting...... Pitino would have been a great coach with Bird, McHale and Parrish or with Pierce, Allen and Garnett......
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Completely different sport. (football ) Weak sauce.

And, I LOVE defense. It was a great game to watch.

Regarding SCORING...or lack there of. COLD...maybe? ( count NINE, btw, with over 10 goals. As of Feb 3rd)

You wanna talk stats. HIGH point had 24 CTO's...Duke had 3. HIGH point also has a pretty subpar shooting percentage, at .210. (one of three keys to top teams )
Last edited by runrussellrun on Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:42 am Completely different sport. Weak sauce.

And, I LOVE defense. It was a great game to watch.
It was a great game to watch. Basketball and lacrosse are completely different sports?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”