General Chatter
FannOLax

Re: World Soccer

Post by FannOLax »

And Spurs are still in it!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

for now. Kane's injury is more serious than hoped, right?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

He's almost certainly out through the end of this season. Funny thing is, the team's league performance this year has been clearly better without him.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

New soccer stadium in St Paul:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/04/1 ... ew-stadium

Stadium will debut tomorrow in the late season snow storm we just had. Thankfully, no tax dollars were used to build it but public monies were used in changing the neighborhood so that the place could be accomodated. It's a complete waste of money as traffic in that area is very congested and parking is limited. Because of this, we expect more car accidents and other problems. I lived about 5 blocks away from the stadium site for several years and know how bad the traffic problem was before it was created and cringe at the thought as to how much worse it will get. On top of all that, Alliance Field only hold 19,000 fans. The new football stadium in Minneapolis drew crowds of 35,000 for the team. So why on earth create a needless stadium that will generate fewer profits and create bigger problems???

Bunch of wealthy elitist SOB's.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm curious to hear the answers.
Caddy Day
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:27 pm New soccer stadium in St Paul:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/04/1 ... ew-stadium

Stadium will debut tomorrow in the late season snow storm we just had. Thankfully, no tax dollars were used to build it but public monies were used in changing the neighborhood so that the place could be accomodated. It's a complete waste of money as traffic in that area is very congested and parking is limited. Because of this, we expect more car accidents and other problems. I lived about 5 blocks away from the stadium site for several years and know how bad the traffic problem was before it was created and cringe at the thought as to how much worse it will get. On top of all that, Alliance Field only hold 19,000 fans. The new football stadium in Minneapolis drew crowds of 35,000 for the team. So why on earth create a needless stadium that will generate fewer profits and create bigger problems???

Bunch of wealthy elitist SOB's.
The capacity of their new stadium is on par with other soccer specific stadiums built for MLS teams.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... s#Stadiums
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:44 pm

The capacity of their new stadium is on par with other soccer specific stadiums built for MLS teams.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... s#Stadiums

That much is true. But US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis drew FAR larger crowds, generated much more money to the team and metropolitan area, was far more accessible, caused far less traffic disruption, and would have been a better venue for an all star or championship game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Oh Tottenham, we love you.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tottenham-Ajax... I dunno.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ajax-Tottenham: two surprise semi-finalists who have a tradition (and present reality) of attacking footie... Barcelona have to be favorites to win the Cup, but I wouldn't bet money on them.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Wow. Bloody wow! Oh Tottenham we love you!
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Crazy...
Caddy Day
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Two incredible comebacks on consecutive days and now we have an all-England finals. Liverpool vs Spurs in Champions League and Arsenal vs Chelsea in Europa League.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The double all-English certainly speaks well of England's Premier League, but also makes the continental tourneys seem less international, more mundane. I could write a lot about two London teams (and their fans) having to go to Baku (what country is that in, again, please?) to play a game, but instead I'll just say that with the lax result on Memorial Day I've had already enough disappointment for one week... as if that could possibly help my beloved footie team.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Bottomline, for all intents and purposes, only 10 or so teams have a real shot of playing in the Champions League Final. Since 3-4 Are English teams, not so surprising.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hmmm, before the first ball was kicked, one would have said Real Madrid, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid from Spain; Liverpool and Man City from England; Bayern Munich and Juventus. That's seven, plus maybe Man United (nobody predicted how Mourinho would get fired, and lots of pedigree), Paris St German and maybe Dortmund. I don't think anyone would have predicted Tottenham or Ajax, and if it had to be two teams from the same country that country probably would have been Spain. Ajax losing at home to Real Madrid then winning 1-4 in Madrid was absolutely stunning, while after the first semi-final legs Ajax and Barcelona looked certain to meet in the final. So I'd say that the entire tournament has been very surprising! Only with the benefit of handsight can you say two English teams in the final is not so surprising... but what do I know??
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I agree. It's been crazy. I'm just saying that it's not like every euro club is competing.
Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Not that I generally gave much sympathy for that red lot, but not being able to bring a key player because Baku's country doesn't recognize the player's country is preposterous. The UEFA should have stepped in, said "Let him in or we move the game to Wembley." But I guess the bribes had already been paid so the die was cast...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Ack, such a paucity of quality footy, so much mediocrity in the ECL final; Liverpool v Tottenham @ Anfield was so much better... The bloody week of finishing second....

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”