Athletes Unlimited Summer ‘24

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Athletes Unlimited Summer ‘24

Post by LaxDadMax »

timber18888 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:13 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:00 am I've made this prediction before and will make it again.

PLL will buy this league within 2 years. Their PE owners are active investors in women's sports. If done right, Women's PLL would be bigger than men's.
Why do you think this hypothetical women's PLL would be more popular than the men's? Men's college lacrosse is considerably more popular than women's lacrosse and that gap would probably be worse in the pros.
Because women's college lax has better stars and the PLL folks will know how to market them. Won't be bigger overnight, but bigger opportunity

Who do you think more people walking the street know -- Brennan O'Neil or Charlotte North
DMac

Post by DMac »

More is still a mighty small number.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:04 pm
timber18888 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:13 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 8:00 am I've made this prediction before and will make it again.

PLL will buy this league within 2 years. Their PE owners are active investors in women's sports. If done right, Women's PLL would be bigger than men's.
Why do you think this hypothetical women's PLL would be more popular than the men's? Men's college lacrosse is considerably more popular than women's lacrosse and that gap would probably be worse in the pros.
Because women's college lax has better stars and the PLL folks will know how to market them. Won't be bigger overnight, but bigger opportunity

Who do you think more people walking the street know -- Brennan O'Neil or Charlotte North
Respectfully, as someone who has followed women's lacrosse more than men's lacrosse, I still think men's lax has way more superstars. In Wlax the only big star was Scane and she's still much lesser known than O'Neill, the Kavanaughs, Shellenberger, Entemann, etc (maybe Dolce will become a star for her Final Four heroics?). Before Scane in recent years it was Charlotte North and that's about it.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 5:12 pm More is still a mighty small number.
THIS!!!!
Lacrosse is sooooo niche. Unless you played, or your kid played, lacrosse is as interesting and relevant to an average American as women’s and men’s volleyball…..and I’m not talking beach…..
NutmegCrunch

Post by NutmegCrunch »

It is a niche sport. 99% of spectators at games have some kind of connection to the game, either personally or through family/friends. My daughters loved going to the World Championships in Towson a few years ago and would love to go to a couple of AU games - the issue is that we don't live in Maryland, and we're not about to drive there for a game. Unfortunately, the fan base for pro women's lacrosse just isn't big enough IMO to even support a touring model like the PLL.

I'm not a basketball fan, but I recognize names of big stars in both college and the pros - I can't say the same for, say, short track speed skating. The fanbases of both men's and women's pro lacrosse are a lot closer to the latter than the former.
timber18888

Post by timber18888 »

Scane and Coykendall both signed
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:42 pm
Lax101 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:52 am So dumb that your cant have a real 9-5 job and play. I see no future for AU womens lax. Im hearing that lots of kids opted out.
Grow the game. But only in Maryland at the US Lax Stadium.
We have a Winner! Grow the Game means NOTHING when it's only allowed to be hosted in one geographic location.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 2:00 pm I think I make this comment every year. I like that US Lacrosse gets the rental income, but it would be better if they moved this event around to different parts of the country. Maybe Syracuse area? Not as hot as Maryland in the summer. Or the Island? My guess is that only people local to the venue go to these games (excepting family) so why not have it in the hottest of hotbeds where there are the most potential fans?

Maybe then we could get rid of that insufferable Joe Banananana. If he says (he will) “where and when the ball goes out of bounds,” I will throw a brick through my TV. For God’s sake, please delete the “where” from your lexicon, Joe. Duplicative. Unnecessary. And to me, very annoying.
Syracuse and Long Island are NOT 'different parts of the country' from Maryland. OUT OF THE NORTHEAST IS.
njbill

Post by njbill »

YOUR FIRST TWO COMMENTS EVER ON THE WOMEN’S BOARD SHOW THAT YOU NEED A GEOGRAPHY LESSON. MAYBE STAY ON THE MEN’S SIDE UNTIL YOU LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NORTHEAST AND MID-ATLANTIC.

Did I do that right with the all caps?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Chesapeake Bay crabs (maybe my favorite flavor on the face of the earth) or Heid's hot dogs (perhaps the most overrated dogs on earth...I just don't get it) is absolutely different parts of the country.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

njbill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 10:17 am YOUR FIRST TWO COMMENTS EVER ON THE WOMEN’S BOARD SHOW THAT YOU NEED A GEOGRAPHY LESSON. MAYBE STAY ON THE MEN’S SIDE UNTIL YOU LEARN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN NORTHEAST AND MID-ATLANTIC.

Did I do that right with the all caps?
No, you didn't. I'm a nationally followed lacrosse writer who covered the D1 Final Four in Cary credentialed by the NCAA; what's your credentials? And I'm from Long Island and a Hobart grad and you're the perfect example of what I write about as not understanding how to market the sport outside of the 35,000 hardcore lacrosse fans who are not willing to spend a dime to travel, while expecting everyone to spend theirs travelling to the 'hallowed grounds' of the area. Take the rest of us seriously or be prepared to see lacrosse on TV like it was when it was 30 minutes once a year on the old CBS Sports Spectacular.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Well, you are full of yourself. I'll give you that. Coming on the women's board with your first ever posts SHOUTING geographic nonsense. FTR, I never heard of you. I read a lot of media re the women's FF but didn't see anything you wrote. My guess is you are a men's side poster and fan (and perhaps as you claim an mlax writer). If you now intend to dabble in wlax, you ought to educate yourself first and start off here with a little humility instead of coming on like some arrogant know it all.

You responded to my post from 16 days ago by saying "Syracuse and Long Island are NOT 'different parts of the country' from Maryland. OUT OF THE NORTHEAST IS." I took exception to your (shouted) comment since it was demonstrably wrong. I don't care if you are Rand/McNally, themselves, what you said is utter hogwash. Maryland is not part of the Northeast or perhaps you think US Lacrosse and the lacrosse media have gotten it wrong all these years.

My "credentials" to spot your geography errors are that I can read a map and know the lacrosse regions. In terms of commenting on wlax, I have followed and written about the girls and women's game for over 20 years (and attended hundreds of such games in person).

Your marketing "suggestion" is crap, evidencing a complete misunderstanding of how the AU women's game operates. (What are your "marketing" credentials anyway?) Have you ever even seen one of the games? If you had, you'd have seen that IN PERSON attendance is relatively light even in BALTIMORE. Outside of family, spectators don't travel distances to the AU games.

To the extent AU can be used to grow the women's game, it will not be through in-person attendance, but via TV viewership which, I submit, would be pretty much the same whether the games are played in Balto, LI, Syr, or (as you seem to advocate) some place like Topeka KS. Moving the venue around the hotbeds will allow young laxers to see the (very exciting) product in person. It will allow them to meet the stars of the game and get their autographs. How many fans do you think would attend in Topeka? Why don't you tell AU you think it would be better if the games were played in Topeka. Let us know what they say.
DMac

Post by DMac »

CBS Sports Spectacular was a sixty-minute broadcast (included commercials but not 30 minutes of).
According to the US census of 2020, nine states make up the Northeast region: Maine, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, and Rhode Island.
Maryland is south of the Mason Dixon line, aint nobody thinkin' northeast when they're thinkin' Maryland.
Maryland is part of the northeast as anything north of the Bronx is upstate NY to you New Yorkers and Long Islanders.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”