Maryland 2025

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2025

Post by keno in reno »

Are Murphy or Brennan returning? Both were 2020 freshmen, then redshirted in '21 so there should be eligibility.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:05 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:46 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:44 pm Redd has a year of eligibility left, unless I’m missing something. Rope unit should be pretty strong.
He played in 5 games in 2021. A lot of these teams are just backdating injury redshirts at this point; so it's possible he could have another year. Not sure though
Thought a player can play a max of 5 games, and still have it considered a redshirt year. Tillman seems to use this tactic quite often, figured he did it on purpose with Redd as well.
I know of that in football. Never heard of it for lacrosse. To my understanding it was the simple you play, you lose the redshirt, w/ exception of injury. But again, teams have started backdating these red shirts after the fact to get guys an extra year if they only played a handful of games
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 10:44 pm Redd has a year of eligibility left, unless I’m missing something. Rope unit should be pretty strong.
He played in 5 games in 2021. A lot of these teams are just backdating injury redshirts at this point; so it's possible he could have another year. Not sure though
Thought a player can play a max of 5 games, and still have it considered a redshirt year. Tillman seems to use this tactic quite often, figured he did it on purpose with Redd as well.
for a medical redshirt, a player can only play in 30+% of contest dates (including scrimmages) and must suffer a season ending injury in the front half of the season. that's usually 4-6 contests including scrimmages. it shows he played most of his games at least in the back half including on memorial day weekend.

now, he bageled the stat sheet in all 5 appearances. which is rare even for spot duty. sometimes those stat sheets are incorrect as hoo goes in. but if it's correct, i'd say his eligibility is slim and none and slim's in texas.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:47 am
for a medical redshirt, a player can only play in 30+% of contest dates (including scrimmages) and must suffer a season ending injury in the front half of the season. that's usually 4-6 contests including scrimmages. it shows he played most of his games at least in the back half including on memorial day weekend.

now, he bageled the stat sheet in all 5 appearances. which is rare even for spot duty. sometimes those stat sheets are incorrect as hoo goes in. but if it's correct, i'd say his eligibility is slim and none and slim's in texas.
Are there really rules though? It used to be 5 years to play 4, then the technical stuff you mentioned. Kastner played 4 full non-covid seasons but is now going to play a 5th in basketball. I'm not criticizing him, I think that's what college athletics should be about, but I believe the old rule book would say his eligibility is exhausted. It's just so arbitrary how some guys get 6 years while others get 3.3 and get out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The NCAA has been pretty lenient giving out redshirts in recent years, but Redd played well into the second half of the season in 2021, including as late as the Final Four vs. Duke on May 29. Not sure how you get around that. Would be very surprised if he gets another year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 10:54 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:47 am

Are there really rules though? It used to be 5 years to play 4, then the technical stuff you mentioned. Kastner played 4 full non-covid seasons but is now going to play a 5th in basketball. I'm not criticizing him, I think that's what college athletics should be about, but I believe the old rule book would say his eligibility is exhausted. It's just so arbitrary how some guys get 6 years while others get 3.3 and get out.
i mentioned in another thread that i've yet to see something go against rules of the day. covid year was new. the fall scrimmage participation rules were changed in 2018 for spring sports to align it with fall sports/spring scrimmages/no more academically ineligible or hurt in between dinging an athlete a year. without writing war and peace, there are other exceptions like military service, religious missions and hardship (which is what redshirt is actually called in the rulebook).

but the 5 to play 4 is for an individual sport. you have 5 years to play 4 years in a sport, and each can be extended if you fit the exceptions, including medical. so kastner as an example is out of lax eligibility, but still has a year for any other sport. he could fence also if he was any good at it and stanford had it. there are countless examples over the years of 2 sport athletes doing this, including in lacrosse.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Malever is leaving.

👀👀

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/1796249493223899235?s=46

But Bryce Ford eases the pain.

https://x.com/tyxanders/status/1796257675208020427?s=46

Tillman making moves.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wow. Shocking news on one front, more expected on another.

I kinda wonder if this was a mutual thing. With Spanos and Kelly coming back, that’s 2 spots on the attack filled. Bryce Ford coming in will definitely fill a spot on the attack, which likely leaves Malever at midfield as he was at the end of the year. Perhaps he decided he didn’t want the reduction in minutes/role and sought to go somewhere where he can play attack.

I’m not sure he’s going to find that role on another contending team, but best of luck to him. He was a real bright spot as a freshman in 2021, and a pivotal part of the best team in school history in 2022. I still kinda wonder what the last two years look like if he never got hurt. Glad he came back and was on another F4 team this year. 3 years, 3 championship games! Helluva run here
AllaboutLax

Post by AllaboutLax »

Well that leaves Kelly and Spanos at attack Hopefully one of the new guys coming is a natural dodger. They need someone with speed and agility that can dodge, see's the field well. Spanos lumbers, doesn't have the quickness/speed to beat an athletic pole. Also, the offense slows when the ball is in his stick. Kelly, is similar but has a knack for finding the back of the net. There are plenty of guys that didn't get a change this year that hopefully can step up.

Midfield: Erksa looks more comfortable running out the box. Whittier, has all the tools and will be a big contributor next year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bryce Ford was a definite bright spot in an otherwise dismal CAA season, he was especially productive in CAA play.

A good comparable would be Sean Donnelly who transferred from the CAA to Penn State and was a key end of season contributor.

Personally, I believe Tillman can get more out of Ford than Tambroni got out of Donnelly, with the added, important incentive that Ford can get an NCAA tournament on his resume.
Fairfield hasn’t sniffed the NCAAs in years.

Tillman can look at his tapes from a couple years back, Ford was more of an assist man.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Best wishes to Eric; he was a great Terp during an epic 4 year span. I'm sure he'll get into a top tier grad school and have an extremely successful life.
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:01 pm Bryce Ford was a definite bright spot in an otherwise dismal CAA season, he was especially productive in CAA play.

A good comparable would be Sean Donnelly who transferred from the CAA to Penn State and was a key end of season contributor.

Personally, I believe Tillman can get more out of Ford than Tambroni got out of Donnelly, with the added, important incentive that Ford can get an NCAA tournament on his resume.
Fairfield hasn’t sniffed the NCAAs in years.

Tillman can look at his tapes from a couple years back, Ford was more of an assist man.
He’s a better player than Donnelly. Better athlete too. True goal scorer but is a willing passer. Strong two handed dodger with quickness. Played Midfield in HS and had 106 points. I’m thinking he runs in that spot Siracusa had on the first midfield w Erksa and we insert Ford in that crease attack spot.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

keno in reno wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 am Are Murphy or Brennan returning? Both were 2020 freshmen, then redshirted in '21 so there should be eligibility.
It doesn’t look like Brennan is coming back
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 10:21 am
keno in reno wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:50 am Are Murphy or Brennan returning? Both were 2020 freshmen, then redshirted in '21 so there should be eligibility.
It doesn’t look like Brennan is coming back
Brennan had such potential, I thought he would have had an AA career. Also started to perk up a bit late this year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

It’d be surprising if either came back. I think we see a good amount of shakeup with the offensive lineup come next year.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Pretty sure Brennan is out of eligibility. Was a freshman on the 2020 team, played in 2021, 2022, 2023, and now 2024. That's the same sequence for guys like Siracusa.

I'd be surprised, too, if Murphy came back for one more year.

Brennan had such a great 2022 season. The shooting slump he went into in 2023 was one of the greater mysteries of that season. Everyone in the program had very high hopes for him, but he couldn't shake the funk. Worked hard as hell. Kept being a great teammate. That remained the case this year.

Murphy was just never a ball carrier. When surrounded with the 2022 talent and experience, his ability to shoot made a difference. When he had to take on a bigger role, he struggled with turnovers. He always seemed to zig when everyone else thought he would zag.

Definitely wish those guys well. Brennan is a great student and will do well out there in the work world. Murphy will find a spot somewhere and get back to his gunslinging ways.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:50 pm Pretty sure Brennan is out of eligibility. Was a freshman on the 2020 team, played in 2021, 2022, 2023, and now 2024. That's the same sequence for guys like Siracusa.

Brennan had such a great 2022 season. The shooting slump he went into in 2023 was one of the greater mysteries of that season. Everyone in the program had very high hopes for him, but he couldn't shake the funk. Worked hard as hell. Kept being a great teammate. That remained the case this year.

Murphy was just never a ball carrier. When surrounded with the 2022 talent and experience, his ability to shoot made a difference. When he had to take on a bigger role, he struggled with turnovers. He always seemed to zig when everyone else thought he would zag.

Definitely wish those guys well. Brennan is a great student and will do well out there in the work world. Murphy will find a spot somewhere and get back to his gunslinging ways.
Brennan was hurt in 2021, and didn't play. So he would have a 6th year if he wanted it, but he's gonna be like 24 and the team isn't in the spot to be keeping 24 year old second midfielders around IMO

Same goes for Murphy, but if he wants to keep it rolling, he'll do well at Providence next year
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 2:03 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 1:50 pm Pretty sure Brennan is out of eligibility. Was a freshman on the 2020 team, played in 2021, 2022, 2023, and now 2024. That's the same sequence for guys like Siracusa.

Brennan was hurt in 2021, and didn't play. So he would have a 6th year if he wanted it, but he's gonna be like 24 and the team isn't in the spot to be keeping 24 year old second midfielders around IMO

Same goes for Murphy, but if he wants to keep it rolling, he'll do well at Providence next year
Totally forgot about Brennan's injury in 2021.
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

Just checked Murphy's stats on turnovers - 18 in 2022, 10 in 2023, 12 in 2024 (40 in 3 years)

In those same 3 years:
Koras 4 in 2022, 15 in 2023 and 27 in 2024 (46 in 3 years)

Erksa: 29 in 2023, 43 in 2024 (72 in 2 years)

Spanos: 11 in 2023 and 21 in 2024 (32 in 2 years)

Murphy could sling it like no one else on the team. Kept waiting for him to break out of his funk in 2024 as the team could have used him getting some goals. But I don't think turnovers were his issue.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Per LaxRef, top 5 TO Rates on the 2024 team:

Erksa - 0.95
Koras - 0.84
Murphy - 0.80
Spanos - 0.73
Brennan - 0.69

Top 5 play shares on the 2024 team:

Erksa - 10.%
Koras - 7.5%
Spanos - 6.7%
Malever - 6.6%
Siracusa - 6.3%

Murphy checks in at 10th on the team with 3.5%.

So the clustering of Erksa, Koras, and Murphy on TOs is astute. The problem is Murphy was 3rd in TO rate despite being only 10th in play shares.

If you look at usage adjusted Expected Goals for just offensive players, here's what you get for the Top 5 on the 2024 team:

Spanos - 1.9
Malever - 1.63
Maltz - 1.61
Kelly - 1.55
Siracusa - 1.41

Erksa and Murphy come in at 10th with 1.17 apiece. High turnovers combined with player usage impacts their expected goals per game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”