Total votes: 71

blue angels

Re: QF #3 Hopkins vs #6 Virginia Sunday @2:30

Post by blue angels »

coda wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:38 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:28 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:57 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:19 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

If so, Ierlan will need to be extra sharp in goal for JHU to mitigate the additional possessions UVA may get this time around.
game was even thru 3 quarters when hop had the fo advantage. jhu controlled the 4th once that advantage disappeared. game may turn on faceoffs this time, but uva will need to play better. other than harvard, 4th quarters haven't been their bag.
Hopkins has shown with the aggressiveness of its defense (something Doc B spent almost a decade here pleading with Petro to do more of) it can generate extra possessions even if it loses the faceoff battle. The problem has been what it does when it gets those possessions and the lack of consistent scoring which puts more pressure on the defense. Melendez has been a non factor for most of the season and it's been almost impossible to know quarter to quarter if anyone other than Degnon and Angelus are going to give the offense anything.
quoting doc b on any strategery isn't going to prop up a viable angle for anything. you named the 3 attackmen, and i understand melendez hasn't broken out. there isn't a middie in the country that provides quarter to quarter offense, 1st team all americans have 40 points. hopkins, overall, has decided not to hunt goals. their preference is patience. the jays put up 16 last time they saw uva. my guess is they'd take that again, so the hoos best do a better job of handling hopkins' inconsistent offense.
This is probably the right strategy vs Virginia. I cant see Hopkins winning this game, if it is a track meet. Quite honestly, the Virginia's poles are very good in 1 on 1 situations. They can get caught ball watching and being overly aggressive. You beat the UVa defense with ball movement and attacking the SSDMs. Hopkins middies feasted in the last game.
I am not sure Virginia believed that Hop's middies would have had such an outsized impact in their regular season game. It's true, "they feasted" and there was 2nd guessing, after the fact, whether Virginia had the correct matchups. They obviously didn't make the proper adjustments in game. Barring St Joe's, Virginia has been on a streak of poor play matched against the best teams in the Country in their own conference. It will be interesting to see how they come out to play HOP. If they are on, they can beat anyone, but they also have underperformed to their talent in some late season games.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:30 pm
The Orfling wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:43 am Bit of a deeper dive on the faceoffs issue. When the teams played during the regular season, JHU had a 20-14 advantage against a Virginia team missing its top 2024 FOGO, Anthony Ghobriel. Last year, when Ghobriel was playing for Navy, he did well but didn't dominate against Hop FOGOs Callahan and Dunn; he was 3-0 vs. Callahan and 8-7 vs. Dunn. Things don't always translate when a FOGO was playing for a prior team (wing play, etc.) but I would not be surprised to see JHU's Dunn get the majority of the reps, at least to start, against Ghobriel. And I'd expect faceoffs to be closer to evenly split or perhaps a slight UVA advantage this time around.

If so, Ierlan will need to be extra sharp in goal for JHU to mitigate the additional possessions UVA may get this time around.
game was even thru 3 quarters when hop had the fo advantage. jhu controlled the 4th once that advantage disappeared. game may turn on faceoffs this time, but uva will need to play better. other than harvard, 4th quarters haven't been their bag.
Hopkins has shown with the aggressiveness of its defense (something Doc B spent almost a decade here pleading with Petro to do more of) it can generate extra possessions even if it loses the faceoff battle. The problem has been what it does when it gets those possessions and the lack of consistent scoring which puts more pressure on the defense. Melendez has been a non factor for most of the season and it's been almost impossible to know quarter to quarter if anyone other than Degnon and Angelus are going to give the offense anything.
quoting doc b on any strategery isn't going to prop up a viable angle for anything. you named the 3 attackmen, and i understand melendez hasn't broken out. there isn't a middie in the country that provides quarter to quarter offense, 1st team all americans have 40 points. hopkins, overall, has decided not to hunt goals. their preference is patience. the jays put up 16 last time they saw uva. my guess is they'd take that again, so the hoos best do a better job of handling hopkins' inconsistent offense.
This is probably the right strategy vs Virginia. I cant see Hopkins winning this game, if it is a track meet. Quite honestly, the Virginia's poles are very good in 1 on 1 situations. They can get caught ball watching and being overly aggressive. You beat the UVa defense with ball movement and attacking the SSDMs. Hopkins middies feasted in the last game.
I am not sure Virginia believed that Hop's middies would have had such an outsized impact in their regular season game. It's true, "they feasted" and there was 2nd guessing, after the fact, whether Virginia had the correct matchups. They obviously didn't make the proper adjustments in game. Barring St Joe's, Virginia has been on a streak of poor play matched against the best teams in the Country in their own conference. It will be interesting to see how they come out to play HOP. If they are on, they can beat anyone, but they also have underperformed to their talent in some late season games.
Virginia is going to come out fast and ready to smash Hopkins in the mouth. No way they come out flat.

Blue Jays should be prepared to respond in kind.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
coda

Post by coda »

Will be interesting. I would think about putting someone like Wayer on Collison. Give him a pole with some size
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

Curiously, this is the last game of the weekend. Is it traditionally so to have #3 vs #6 as the last game or is someone trying to drum up ratings for earlier games?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

norcalhop wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:14 pm Curiously, this is the last game of the weekend. Is it traditionally so to have #3 vs #6 as the last game or is someone trying to drum up ratings for earlier games?
it's always about ratings.
just hope maryland doesn't win if the hoos do, as they'll then get the late game next saturday with no shot at a championship dub.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:24 pm
norcalhop wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:14 pm Curiously, this is the last game of the weekend. Is it traditionally so to have #3 vs #6 as the last game or is someone trying to drum up ratings for earlier games?
it's always about ratings.
just hope maryland doesn't win if the hoos do, as they'll then get the late game next saturday with no shot at a championship dub.
It is always about ratings now for sure and it's probably been like that longer than I remember but in the past didn't the higher seed always get the first game in the quarters and semi's?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:25 pm

Will be interesting. I would think about putting someone like Wayer on Collison. Give him a pole with some size
There's not really been anyone to outsize, outmuscle Collison that I've seen.
Even if Wayer is that guy, Collison can always just play two-way with Peshko and/or Degnon.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:37 am

Even if Wayer is that guy, Collison can always just play two-way with Peshko and/or Degnon.
Beau Pederson did a good job on him. 2 pts and 6 shots in 2 games.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:29 am

There's always one guy in one game,

in 3 1/2 years, I haven't seen that guy consistently stopped.
coda

Post by coda »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:38 am

This is only his 2nd season. 3 games of 0 pts this year and 4 games over 2 pts. He is a very good player, but he hasnt reached that level of consistency. He is averaging just below 2 pts a game. I would guess next year he takes that final step.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

coda wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:55 am

This is only his 2nd season. 3 games of 0 pts this year and 4 games over 2 pts. He is a very good player, but he hasnt reached that level of consistency. He is averaging just below 2 pts a game. I would guess next year he takes that final step.
I'm not talking about this year.

I'm talking about over 3 1/2 years, NCAA and several other orgs - field, box, international play, nobody has been able to stop that guy.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:59 am

I'm talking about over 3 1/2 years, NCAA and several other orgs - field, box, international play, nobody has been able to stop that guy.
Denver, Towson, and Michigan all held him to zero points this year alone.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BigTurn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 am

I'll believe it when I see the Cavs put the clamp on Collison.
I don't believe they will.

Sorry.
But be my guest.
Have at it.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

10stone5 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:13 am
BigTurn wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:10 am

I'll believe it when I see the Cavs put the clamp on Collison.
I don't believe they will.

Sorry.
But be my guest.
Have at it.
I’m not saying UVA will, their D is fairly suspect. To say “nobody has been able to stop” Collison is just inaccurate.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

MEN'S LACROSSE: Lars Tiffany Media Availability (5.14.24)
https://youtu.be/cpeYakMN2U0?si=HQXKq_XOPKM5-kyu
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Plus you have Colucci who went 4-6 in the first game vs Hopkins, to fill in. Faceoffs are important for Hopkins because they have to get shots to get to Nunes. Last game that was obvious, 27 SOG , 11 saves for Va.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

wgdsr wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:24 pm just hope maryland doesn't win if the hoos do, as they'll then get the late game next saturday with no shot at a championship dub.
Thank you for adding this to the 2024 discourse. I am now rooting for Maryland if only to go read the comments at Testudo Times about getting "hosed" once again.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If I can make a polite and respectful suggestion - if you are replying to a previous post - perhaps you could copy just that part before hitting the quote button??? These posts that go on for screens and screens and screens because it is the 15th quote button hit makes these threads unreadable. Your point likley has extremely little to do with the original post made that long ago. Or don't copy/quote at all - most are intelligent enough to follow along. If your aim is to have someone read and maybe respond you are losing audience members - I fail to believe I am alone but I just scroll way past the posts that go on for days.
Hooz123

Post by Hooz123 »

Admittedly, the four-game losing streak was rough. Especially losing in the fashion we did in the ACC tournament to Notre Dame...I wasn't confident the Hoos could turn it around. I was prepared to see an early exit vs. SJ.

Generally, my expectations for the Hoos are still lower than they were earlier in the year. We faced many annoying FOGO injuries throughout the year. Ghobriel is finally healthy. Despite the lowered outlook, I honestly don't have any worries about the Hopkins game. If we can make better decisions in transition, we should get the W. Haven't felt this relaxed going into a UVa game in nearly two months. I'm frankly not sold on Hopkins, they are not a great team. On paper, I think we match up well with them and our style plays well against what they want to run. Peshko won't have the best game of his career again this weekend, and we won't waste a pole on Braun. Nunes really has to see the ball early. He's streaky. He really needs a good start or else it takes him a quarter or two to really get into the game and out of his head.

Excited for the game. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Hop wins, but I feel pretty good about this game. Hoos coming off a good win, B+ performance after shaking off some early sloppy play against SJ. Hop eeking out a win in a bizarre dump show type game. Got to feel good as a Hoos fan.
molo

Post by molo »

Hopkins faces a tough task in trying to beat a more talented team twice in the same year. I like the depth Hopkins has at both offensive and defensive midfield and worry about UVA’s lack thereof. Any team that can beat UVA at Klockner certainly can do the same up here, but I expect UVA to win by something like 16-12.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”