Tewaaraton Award 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
coda

Re: Tewaaraton Award 2024

Post by coda »

It will be really hard. What go you think a goalie would need to win it? 60%+?
Finster

Post by Finster »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 pm It will be really hard. What go you think a goalie would need to win it? 60%+?

I’m not suggesting McNaney will win the Tewey, just that he could humble the committee for not including him. He could start by having a really good game Saturday. Because he was out last year, I think many lacrosse followers forgot how good he is.

It’s not easy for any goalie to win the award. It’s mostly an offensive award.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Finster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:35 pm
coda wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:21 pm It will be really hard. What go you think a goalie would need to win it? 60%+?

I’m not suggesting McNaney will win the Tewey, just that he could humble the committee for not including him. He could start by having a really good game Saturday. Because he was out last year, I think many lacrosse followers forgot how good he is.

No goalie will ever win the Tewarton/Attackman of the year award
coda

Post by coda »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:30 am
Finster wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:35 pm

No goalie will ever win the Tewarton/Attackman of the year award
which is just wrong
TurfToeVictim

Post by TurfToeVictim »

May be a hot take but I believe we could see McCabe Millon as a finalist this year if he keeps it up, his daddy will for sure take him places.
coda

Post by coda »

TurfToeVictim wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:23 am May be a hot take but I believe we could see McCabe Millon as a finalist this year if he keeps it up, his daddy will for sure take him places.
I doubt it. It would so pain me to see the Millon's on that stage. Seeing his Dad coach on club fields was enough for me. I cant think of a worst representative for the game
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
TurfToeVictim wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:23 am May be a hot take but I believe we could see McCabe Millon as a finalist this year if he keeps it up, his daddy will for sure take him places.
I doubt it. It would so pain me to see the Millon's on that stage. Seeing his Dad coach on club fields was enough for me. I cant think of a worst representative for the game
Of course, it's an absurd take and reliably not from any Virginia supporters. So you take it out on the kid because you hate the Dad???? It amazes me at some of these posts from more of the Millon family haters. I don't know what the source of the enmity is to even post something like that or the pre season overrated posts we saw here. Maybe, look in the mirror.........Virginia is happy to have Millon, & he exceeded expectations in his 1st game, but it was just 1 game. He might be their 4th option on offense at best.
coda

Post by coda »

blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 pm
Of course, it's an absurd take and reliably not from any Virginia supporters. So you take it out on the kid because you hate the Dad???? It amazes me at some of these posts from more of the Millon family haters. I don't know what the source of the enmity is to even post something like that or the pre season overrated posts we saw here. Maybe, look in the mirror.........Virginia is happy to have Millon, & he exceeded expectations in his 1st game, but it was just 1 game. He might be their 4th option on offense at best.
I didnt say anything about the kid, just the dad. You can get upset about it, but if you ask around you will find it is not an opinion without merit.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

I think Marquette defenseman Mason Woodward is a serious sleeper for the award. He is an animal!
BrownDad

Post by BrownDad »

Woodward's been a beast for 4 years. Gets no recognition.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

BrownDad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:28 pm Woodward's been a beast for 4 years. Gets no recognition.
If Marquette has a breakout year under Coach Stimmel this year, I think he will.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Number of winners by School:

Duke 3
Maryland 3
Syracuse 3
UVA 3
Albany 2
Cornell 2
Brown 1
Colgate 1
Hofstra 1
JHU 1
Loyola 1
Yale 1

https://tewaaraton.com/winners/
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

coda wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:19 pm
I didnt say anything about the kid, just the dad. You can get upset about it, but if you ask around you will find it is not an opinion without merit.
I am not upset, just incredulous. Your quote was, "It would pain me to see the Millon's on that stage" crystal clear you included the kid so clearly a hater post. The Dad isn't playing, nor is he telling Lars what to do with the level of talent in that program.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

I suppose the Tewaaraton Award has published criteria somewhere. But as others have pointed out, it generally goes to an attackman. Even more narrowly, it goes to someone who piles up goals, or at least goals + assists.

Yet anyone who's played the game know that its beauty lies in all the pieces that fit together to make a winning team. A great GK or defender can make a bigger contribution than an attacker. (Defender Gavin Adler illustrated this point last year, when he was the #1 pick in the draft.)

Even if we concede that the award will go to an attackman, exactly how should we evaluate the player's contribution to their team? I recall that when Jeff Teat played at Cornell, coaches would adopt a SOT (Shut-Off-Teat) strategy of shadowing him all game, man-to-man, with a top defender. Unfortunately, the strategy sometimes worked. But what if it didn't? Suppose instead, that SOT resulted in Cornell winning by a margin 15% smaller, but winning nonetheless. Teat's presence would still give his team a tremendous advantage, although his individual statistics would be less spectacular. But if a player has this kind of impact on the game, shouldn't they be a top candidate for the Tewy?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BrownDad wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:28 pm Woodward's been a beast for 4 years. Gets no recognition.
He's been an All-American and All-Big East the last three years and was a 2nd team preseason media All-American last month ahead of some very good players. What else do you want?

Marquette's defense absolutely stunk down the stretch last year. Seems to me that he gets a lot more recognition as a good player on a mediocre team than some others in similar situations do.
coda

Post by coda »

Ezra White wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm I suppose the Tewaaraton Award has published criteria somewhere. But as others have pointed out, it generally goes to an attackman. Even more narrowly, it goes to someone who piles up goals, or at least goals + assists.

Yet anyone who's played the game know that its beauty lies in all the pieces that fit together to make a winning team. A great GK or defender can make a bigger contribution than an attacker. (Defender Gavin Adler illustrated this point last year, when he was the #1 pick in the draft.)

Even if we concede that the award will go to an attackman, exactly how should we evaluate the player's contribution to their team? I recall that when Jeff Teat played at Cornell, coaches would adopt a SOT (Shut-Off-Teat) strategy of shadowing him all game, man-to-man, with a top defender. Unfortunately, the strategy sometimes worked. But what if it didn't? Suppose instead, that SOT resulted in Cornell winning by a margin 15% smaller, but winning nonetheless. Teat's presence would still give his team a tremendous advantage, although his individual statistics would be less spectacular. But if a player has this kind of impact on the game, shouldn't they be a top candidate for the Tewy?
100% agree with this post. The best way to see the best offensive player is to watch the defensive game plan. I think we have gone 13 straight years with an attackman wining the award. We have seen the most dominant FOGOs go through during that time. Great goalies and DPoles. Unfortunately, the Tewy has the same flaws as the Heisman.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:39 pm
I am not upset, just incredulous. Your quote was, "It would pain me to see the Millon's on that stage" crystal clear you included the kid so clearly a hater post. The Dad isn't playing, nor is he telling Lars what to do with the level of talent in that program.
Agreed. Very uncool.

That said, haters gonna hate.
shake it off

I also agree that one game by a freshman, indeed probably the 4th top offensive weapon, is irrelevant, though for UVA fans certainly a welcome addition to the potential firepower of the team. And indeed the father will have zippo influence on anything at this level, if he ever did.

My only concern re McCabe was pulling that penalty after the cheap shot he took. I liked him being willing to stand up for himself and I appreciate the fire in the belly, but I preferred his teammate Shelley doing the talking with the opponent right away. Gotta keep your cool...but that's a learning opportunity...

The context, of course, was the comment made by the opposing coach about ACC lacrosse, implying soft "pretty boys" in ACC...and then the cheap shot hit way after release of the ball including to the head...

My son has an interesting take, he thinks refs at the college level should not penalize words said between players, they should only be involved if there's some actual danger to someone's health. Interesting perspective, as indeed the jawing is regularly quite intense and if refs were penalizing every expletive there'd be an awful lot of penalties. Different thread topic, but I kinda agree. Focus on safety.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

of course some of the defensive strategy or a lot of it, could depend heavily on the quality of the other players on offense.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Ezra White wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:41 pm I suppose the Tewaaraton Award has published criteria somewhere. But as others have pointed out, it generally goes to an attackman. Even more narrowly, it goes to someone who piles up goals, or at least goals + assists.

It’s obviously going to be a stretch for any goalie to ever win the Tewey, but it strikes me that ND’s Liam Entenmann possibly could be that unicorn. He certainly didn’t hurt himself in that first game!

In any event, of course I agree with you.

One hurdle facing any goalie is they can’t hide behind others, like let’s say any Watch List attackman can. If Shellenberger has one bad outing, his supporters can claim the defense keyed on him etc. A goalie has to stand on his own; very few fans blame the defense if a goalie has a bad outing. His stats are on him only, at least so far as fans go.

I’d love to see a goalie break through here. It’ll take a full season of exceptional play as well as a near perfect W-L team record.
Finster

Post by Finster »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:04 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:39 pm
Agreed. Very uncool.

That said, haters gonna hate.
shake it off

I also agree that one game by a freshman, indeed probably the 4th top offensive weapon, is irrelevant, though for UVA fans certainly a welcome addition to the potential firepower of the team. And indeed the father will have zippo influence on anything at this level, if he ever did.

My only concern re McCabe was pulling that penalty after the cheap shot he took. I liked him being willing to stand up for himself and I appreciate the fire in the belly, but I preferred his teammate Shelley doing the talking with the opponent right away. Gotta keep your cool...but that's a learning opportunity...

The context, of course, was the comment made by the opposing coach about ACC lacrosse, implying soft "pretty boys" in ACC...and then the cheap shot hit way after release of the ball including to the head...

My son has an interesting take, he thinks refs at the college level should not penalize words said between players, they should only be involved if there's some actual danger to someone's health. Interesting perspective, as indeed the jawing is regularly quite intense and if refs were penalizing every expletive there'd be an awful lot of penalties. Different thread topic, but I kinda agree. Focus on safety.

I’m wondering if folks caught the Taylor Swift lyrics above? MD’s got a blank space, baby. And he’ll write your name

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”