Starts dates for D3 teams

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Laxattackjack

Re: Starts dates for D3 teams

Post by Laxattackjack »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:12 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 am
Jumbo wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:56 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:33 pm As has been said, what difference really is there between college lacrosse and football and basketball? I love seeing the results of the annual pre-season Ohio St. vs Mt. Union scrimmage.
Is this sarcasm? NCAA football and basketball are saturated with teams. The best players go D1. Lacrosse only has 75 D1 programs. Top level kids end up at better D3 programs than low level D1.
Yes Jumbo, this is sarcasm. There were some ignorant clowns on here who think the discrepancy in play between D1 and D3 is the same for lacrosse as it is for football and basketball. Data pint #2,957 why this is asinine is that D3 teams not only scrimmage D1 teams, they scrimmage top level D1 teams. Of course no D3 team could beat UVA or Penn but the talent is comparable enough that those D1 powers feel it is worth their while and good training to play top D3 teams. In football, the worst FBS team, let's say my home state UConn, would so thrash the D3 champ that it would be literally physically unsafe to even play the game.
Cortland, North Central, Wartburg would beat Stony Brook, Western Illinois, The Citadel...But that was never the point.
The point was there's a reason for different divisions. In most cases, the kids, are bigger, faster, stronger in all D1 sports.
I guess we will find out this weekend. Several D3 teams will be scrimmaging D1 teams. As for bigger faster stronger. Not sure when you get this from. It all comes down to how much training is happening. Top level D3 teams are on the field and in the weight room as often as D1 programs. I have many friends with kids playing at all levels. The top level teams from all divisions have similar schedules and routines. It’s not like 10 years ago, when D3 was a spring sport and D1 was year round. Even college club programs are year round now
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:30 am
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:33 pm As has been said, what difference really is there between college lacrosse and football and basketball? I love seeing the results of the annual pre-season Ohio St. vs Mt. Union scrimmage.
Is this sarcasm? NCAA football and basketball are saturated with teams. The best players go D1. Lacrosse only has 75 D1 programs. Top level kids end up at better D3 programs than low level D1.
Yes Jumbo, this is sarcasm. There were some ignorant clowns on here who think the discrepancy in play between D1 and D3 is the same for lacrosse as it is for football and basketball. Data pint #2,957 why this is asinine is that D3 teams not only scrimmage D1 teams, they scrimmage top level D1 teams. Of course no D3 team could beat UVA or Penn but the talent is comparable enough that those D1 powers feel it is worth their while and good training to play top D3 teams. In football, the worst FBS team, let's say my home state UConn, would so thrash the D3 champ that it would be literally physically unsafe to even play the game.
Cortland, North Central, Wartburg would beat Stony Brook, Western Illinois, The Citadel...But that was never the point.
The point was there's a reason for different divisions. In most cases, the kids, are bigger, faster, stronger in all D1 sports.
I guess we will find out this weekend. Several D3 teams will be scrimmaging D1 teams. As for bigger faster stronger. Not sure when you get this from. It all comes down to how much training is happening. Top level D3 teams are on the field and in the weight room as often as D1 programs. I have many friends with kids playing at all levels. The top level teams from all divisions have similar schedules and routines. It’s not like 10 years ago, when D3 was a spring sport and D1 was year round. Even college club programs are year round now
Not sure? Come on...I don't know where you're from, but go watch a D1 game in person and tell me you don't see the difference. As far as workouts, all of the players work hard for the most part, at all levels. Some kids just aren't as good as others no matter how hard they try.

There's are reason for the different divisions. Why is that so hard to grasp for some?
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:19 am
Not sure? Come on...I don't know where you're from, but go watch a D1 game in person and tell me you don't see the difference. As far as workouts, all of the players work hard for the most part, at all levels. Some kids just aren't as good as others no matter how hard they try.

There's are reason for the different divisions. Why is that so hard to grasp for some?
You seem to be the only one with this view. Maybe it is you that is having a hard time grasping.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am

You seem to be the only one with this view. Maybe it is you that is having a hard time grasping.
:lol: yikes
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I wouldn't think I would normally have to point out that those are 1-AA teams but maybe in this case I do. Laxdad, you really seem to have very minimal exposure to top level lacrosse. I'm not sure who your son played club for but the reason you are alone on this is that you are so wrong. Lacrosse is nothing at all like football. There are were originally divisions for reason of history and money, primarily. One of the criteria for FCS ffs is an average of 15,000 fans per home game over two years. The gap between D1 and D3 in lacrosse is so small that UVA, an obvious top 5 D1 school, is using very limited scrimmage opportunities to scrimmage a D3 team. They are doing that because they think that scrimmage will help make them better. Let me know when a top D1 football team scrimmages a D3 team. Of course no D3 team would beat or even play a close game with Virginia but the players who see the field at top D3 teams almost exclusively all could have played D1 and chose not to. That does not happen in football. Scholarships are one huge reason why. Life in Darien and Garden City and at Deerfield and Gilman is another. Enjoys the scrimmages! Please let us know your thoughts!
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

pcowlax wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:18 am
I wouldn't think I would normally have to point out that those are 1-AA teams but maybe in this case I do. Laxdad, you really seem to have very minimal exposure to top level lacrosse. I'm not sure who your son played club for but the reason you are alone on this is that you are so wrong. Lacrosse is nothing at all like football. There are were originally divisions for reason of history and money, primarily. One of the criteria for FCS ffs is an average of 15,000 fans per home game over two years. The gap between D1 and D3 in lacrosse is so small that UVA, an obvious top 5 D1 school, is using very limited scrimmage opportunities to scrimmage a D3 team. They are doing that because they think that scrimmage will help make them better. Let me know when a top D1 football team scrimmages a D3 team. Of course no D3 team would beat or even play a close game with Virginia but the players who see the field at top D3 teams almost exclusively all could have played D1 and chose not to. That does not happen in football. Scholarships are one huge reason why. Life in Darien and Garden City and at Deerfield and Gilman is another. Enjoys the scrimmages! Please let us know your thoughts!
They scrimmage D3 teams that logistically makes sense because they already play the in-state/Maryland D1 teams and the coaches have relationships, and then the "grow the sport" theme comes into play. In reality, lacrosse programs run on tight budgets and they're not burning their money on travel overnight to a meaningless scrimmages in which most starters may play 1 qtr. Sure, it's a treat for the D3 teams, but doesn't mean much to the D1 programs. If it were a real game, UVA would win by 25 against any D3 team. I wouldn't call that a small gap.

As far as having exposure, does watching my son play against Delaware, Lehigh, Harvard, Army, Vermont, Stony Brook, Albany, UMBC, Salisbury, CNU count?

The divisions were made up so more kids could play and more colleges could fill beds, because most kids can't play D1 sports.
smoova

Post by smoova »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm As far as having exposure, does watching my son play against Vermont, Albany, Salisbury, CNU count?
FIFY
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

smoova wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:35 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm As far as having exposure, does watching my son play against Vermont, Albany, Salisbury, CNU count?
FIFY
The stat sheet is inaccurate, but that's ok.
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

[/quote]

Of course no D3 team could beat UVA or Penn but the talent is comparable enough that those D1 powers feel it is worth their while and good training to play top D3 teams.
[/quote]

If you scroll far enough back (and this is a horse beaten to death since), the 2021 UVA/Lynchburg scrimmage had an unofficial score of like 12-10 LYN when their starters played against the UVA starters (UVA won the National Championship that year for those who need the reminder). Obviously the LYN backups did not stand a chance against the UVA 2nd line, but the head to head matchup was as close as any top D1 program.

The first line at the top 10 D3 schools can and do compete against D1 talent. Then you look at lower D1 talent and you get the likes of Dartmouth/Tufts where it was a slaughter in the D3 team's favor. Make all the excuses you want for that one. Same goes for CNU/Hampton.

This debate will go on forever as the dads of low level D1 programs try and rectify sending their kid to D-tier D1 programs to ride pine instead of the D3 program that will make it to the NCAA tournament year after year.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

ODACtionEmpire wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 pm
Of course no D3 team could beat UVA or Penn but the talent is comparable enough that those D1 powers feel it is worth their while and good training to play top D3 teams.
[/quote]

If you scroll far enough back (and this is a horse beaten to death since), the 2021 UVA/Lynchburg scrimmage had an unofficial score of like 12-10 LYN when their starters played against the UVA starters (UVA won the National Championship that year for those who need the reminder). Obviously the LYN backups did not stand a chance against the UVA 2nd line, but the head to head matchup was as close as any top D1 program.

The first line at the top 10 D3 schools can and do compete against D1 talent. Then you look at lower D1 talent and you get the likes of Dartmouth/Tufts where it was a slaughter in the D3 team's favor. Make all the excuses you want for that one. Same goes for CNU/Hampton.

This debate will go on forever as the dads of low level D1 programs try and rectify sending their kid to D-tier D1 programs to ride pine instead of the D3 program that will make it to the NCAA tournament year after year.
[/quote]

Agreed. This debate is really pretty strange to me - if your kid played high level club lacrosse you know that ALL of the kids playing D1, D2 and D3 lacrosse in college played together and against each other in the summers during high school. The level of talent and skill was top to bottom on most of those rosters, and if you tried to figure out which kid would go D1 versus D2 or D3, most of the time you couldn't do it because the kids were all great. Most of the kids were more or less interchangeable in their skill and talent - which is why when a D1 program scrimmages a D3 program the score is often pretty close, and that shouldn't even be surprising - it's really just Hawks vs. Team 91, or Eclipse vs. Crabs. The best ~10% of the high school lacrosse players play club, and those kids play college lacrosse, spread out over D1-D3. Where is the mystery here?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

ODACtionEmpire wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:04 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe we will get some idea this spring as several top D# colleges are scrimmaging D1 schools.I believe that CNU Lynchburg, Tufts, and York are all scrimmaging D1 schools, those are just the ones off the top of my head. Rutgers just Scrimmaged D2 Adelphi, CNU is scrimmaging Hampton on Saturday and if you think that game is going to be close I believe that you are mistaken. I think that NJIT and Stevens are close and would be an excellent scrimmage.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:54 am

I think that the issue that laxdad has is that he see's his son middling D3 program and what they do and the conditioning program that they do and believes that all D3 schools are similar but what he does not understand is that the elite D3 schools have better facilities and greater demands made on the students which in turn attracts better kids to these programs who could go to D1 schools and play but would rather either get a better education or compete at a higher level at an outstanding D3 school. I know when I took visits with my son, I was surprised by how good some of the D3 facilities were in comparison to D1 facilities.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

This comment above is probably the most Accurate assessment. Everything is relative to what you know. For those of us whose kids were recruited by both mid level D1 and upper level D3. Probably like most others, our kids played for top level club programs where most of the team is playing in college , it isn’t surprising to see where kids end up. It also is common to see a backup from those teams get offers from the bottom 10 D1 programs. I can think of 5 kids my son played with, where those kids either didn’t start on the club or HS team, but are now playing with a low level D1 team. While several of the starters in those teams turned down low level D1 offers to play on a D3 team that could win a championship.

Some kids that don’t play at high end club or HS teams, don’t realize what it is like to be on a team where everyone continues on to play in college.

Like someone said. The kids from top D3 programs grew up playing with the D1 kids. They play on the same summer teams now that they are in college. and there isn’t much difference in talent, speed, or size.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:22 pm This comment above is probably the most Accurate assessment. Everything is relative to what you know. For those of us whose kids were recruited by both mid level D1 and upper level D3. Probably like most others, our kids played for top level club programs where most of the team is playing in college , it isn’t surprising to see where kids end up. It also is common to see a backup from those teams get offers from the bottom 10 D1 programs. I can think of 5 kids my son played with, where those kids either didn’t start on the club or HS team, but are now playing with a low level D1 team. While several of the starters in those teams turned down low level D1 offers to play on a D3 team that could win a championship.

Some kids that don’t play at high end club or HS teams, don’t realize what it is like to be on a team where everyone continues on to play in college.

Like someone said. The kids from top D3 programs grew up playing with the D1 kids. They play on the same summer teams now that they are in college. and there isn’t much difference in talent, speed, or size.
I don't know any kids that play in college, at any level, that didn't play club, so you lost me on that one. My son's team has players in D1, 2 and 3, 10 kids in total. His HS team has 15 kids playing in all divisions, and club at FSU, Tenn, Col.

" there isn’t much difference in talent, speed, or size" I guess they should do away with the measurable section on the recruiting/prospective athlete forms right?

Good luck to your team this season.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

I think the debate is settled. York just played Wagner in a full scrimmage. I know parents from both teams. Both Wagner and York ran full starting lineup the first half. York was in complete control. Up 11-5 at half. Both teams started to empty the bench in the second half. But York when on a run and Wagner put starters back in.
York is barely a top 10 team. Wagner is not the worst D1. If Salisbury or tufts played a team of this caliber, I don’t know if they would give up a goal.

There is a big gap between a mid level D1 like Towson, and a lower level D1 team.
York played a half game scrimmage with Towson. I don’t think Towson played any starters. York played everyone. Towson handled York 4-0
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:16 pm I think the debate is settled. York just played Wagner in a full scrimmage. I know parents from both teams. Both Wagner and York ran full starting lineup the first half. York was in complete control. Up 11-5 at half. Both teams started to empty the bench in the second half. But York when on a run and Wagner put starters back in.
York is barely a top 10 team. Wagner is not the worst D1. If Salisbury or tufts played a team of this caliber, I don’t know if they would give up a goal.

There is a big gap between a mid level D1 like Towson, and a lower level D1 team.
York played a half game scrimmage with Towson. I don’t think Towson played any starters. York played everyone. Towson handled York 4-0
Wagner not the worst, but it's close.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:26 pm
Jumbo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:22 pm This comment above is probably the most Accurate assessment. Everything is relative to what you know. For those of us whose kids were recruited by both mid level D1 and upper level D3. Probably like most others, our kids played for top level club programs where most of the team is playing in college , it isn’t surprising to see where kids end up. It also is common to see a backup from those teams get offers from the bottom 10 D1 programs. I can think of 5 kids my son played with, where those kids either didn’t start on the club or HS team, but are now playing with a low level D1 team. While several of the starters in those teams turned down low level D1 offers to play on a D3 team that could win a championship.

I don't know any kids that play in college, at any level, that didn't play club, so you lost me on that one. My son's team has players in D1, 2 and 3, 10 kids in total. His HS team has 15 kids playing in all divisions, and club at FSU, Tenn, Col.

" there isn’t much difference in talent, speed, or size" I guess they should do away with the measurable section on the recruiting/prospective athlete forms right?

This is the same problem, your son's HS team was a middle-of-the-road HS team but that is all you experienced. BTW, Congrats on your son being Named a captain. Saw him play this fall and he is a solid player.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:09 am

This is the same problem, your son's HS team was a middle-of-the-road HS team but that is all you experienced. BTW, Congrats on your son being Named a captain. Saw him play this fall and he is a solid player.
Thanks for the backhanded compliment, but what are you talking about?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

laxdad1434 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:06 am
Asgot wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:09 am

Thanks for the backhanded compliment, but what are you talking about?
the comment about your son was in no way meant to be anything but earnest. The rest of it relates to idea the your perception is limited by your experience and generally, your experience has been limited to mediocre teams. Sorry for the confusion
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

I would gladly watch a W&L Denison game over a, lets say, Canisius vs. Holy Cross type of D1 game. Those higher D3 games are just simly better lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”