Good News!

General Chatter
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Re: Good News!

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

watched the first episode yesterday- was going to post it. there's a separate video interview of him with steve carrell. i'll have to dig it up. thanks.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Belmont Stakes!

New York bred horse wins!

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/06/20 ... nt-stakes/

Unusual for me, but I have not kept up with the horses this year because of all the virus hassles going on. Had not heard that the race had been reduced to 9 furlongs. Well, maybe that's a good thing as the horses are not likely to be in the kind of shape they normally have.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Whew! Just got some really news - it has been confirmed that the Coney Island hot dog eating contest will be held:

https://www.google.com/search?q=2020+co ... e&ie=UTF-8

Yaaaaaaaaay!!!
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Finally ESPN will have something worth watching!

The GOAT! What an athlete!

HOT DOG EATING CONTEST - Jul 04
Special Wagers Betting Lines

Will Joey Chestnut wins the 2020 Nathan's Contest? Y/N -900 +500

Men's winner hot dogs eaten
O 71½ (-155) U 71½ (+115)

Will Miki Sudo wins the 2020 Nathan's Contest? Y/N -500 +300

Women's winner hot dogs eaten
O 37½ (-140) U 37½ (+100)

Smart money says Chestnut holds onto the Mustard Belt, as does Miki. Bet the under.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Very cool uniforms for BC football: https://www.instagram.com/p/CEdLdPpH3to ... pskurorhn7
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Love it
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

You Philly fanatics may like to know that old PCC's are being restored in your town:

http://tinyurl.com/d5q29iw1

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Inspired by COVID closings, skate path on Warroad River is 2.5 miles of winter fun
'Hockytown USA' finds new way to entertain itself on skates

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/loc ... 80cfb31691

Winter fun in Lake Wobegone.

Brooklyn

Re: REAL Good News!

Post by Brooklyn »

Cuomo signs bill to legalize recreational marijuana in NY

https://www.newsday.com/news/region-sta ... -news-only

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo signed a sweeping marijuana legalization bill into law Wednesday, paving the way to expunge untold numbers of criminal records, allow limited home growth of cannabis and open one of the largest pot markets in the nation.

The new law also will expand the uses of medical marijuana, permit the sale of hemp flower and allow possession outside the home of up to three ounces of marijuana.

Legal sales, however, won't begin until approximately September 2022 as the state works to establish licensing and regulatory frameworks.

The governor previously had agreed to terms on the legislation with leaders of the state Senate and Assembly last week. The two Democrat-controlled houses passed the bill Tuesday, largely along party lines, finishing around 10:30 p.m. The governor signed the bill a little more than 12 hours later.

more at link

This should help reduce the prison population by a great deal.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, good news for the New Yorkers who have wanted to try marijuana, now they'll be able to get some. Lord knows they never could before. Being so complicated and all it's going to take the bureaucrats a long to time to figure out how to put the whole business end of it together but eventually a few stores will open. The decision makers have determined that it will create a lot of new jobs as well as generate a whole lot of tax dollars for the state. Sounds like what a whole lot of people have been telling them for quite a number of decades now but you've got to guess they saw private prisons, false propaganda, and phukin' with people's lives the road to take with marijuana. Meanwhile, it's still a sched 1 drug.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 am We can all make our own good news thru RAOK - random acts of kindness. I may have told this story in the old site about a time over 55 years ago when I was in the NYC subway as a 11 year old when my lunch bag broke. I nearly lost my sandwich but was bailed out by a very nice little old lady who gave me an extra shopping bag she was carrying. To this day I have never forgotten her kind deed and have repaid her in a way by doing for others what she did for me:

Just the other day a young man on the city bus went shopping at Walmart. One of his grocery bags broke and he nearly lost some of his groceries. Luckily, I was carrying a large Target shopping bag in my tote bag. Gave it to him and he was gratefully able to save all of his groceries.

Over the years I have done this many times as I always carry an extra shopping bag with me wherever I go. Thus, I was able to repay that kind lady many times over for her kindness. An RAOK I have never nor ever will forget.

Let us all spread good news wherever we go.
That's a great story. I used to service a customer in the electrical supply industry. He was an older gentleman who had been in business for decades. Toward the end of his time visiting supply houses to order stock for his men, he began adding a final request when I finished writing his order. I would ask, "Anything else?" He would always reply, "A kind word." Sometimes that goes a long way, especially if the person hearing the kind word is going through a tough time. I know it has always done my heart good when I was going through it and a stranger would smile or say something kind.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Attended a high school varsity soccer game this afternoon. While the action was great, sad to say our neighborhood team lost 2-1.

Afterwards, I attended a youth municipal football game, the usually annual match between our neighborhood West Side Raiders and Jimmie Lee Rec Center. This time we won something like 55-0. The game had not been played in two years because of covid. So glad it was played because we had a great crowd, lots of good music played by a local band, and there was a great atmosphere.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

We are 20x richer than we were in the 15th century.
At least, when measured in pumpkin spices:
https://economistwritingeveryday.com/20 ... #more-4975
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

times are a changing for the better in Ely, Minnesota:

https://www.kare11.com/article/news/loc ... 72aa538b0e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bazJ3_eK4q0

Terrence Isaac played for Ely's Vermilion Community College. Now, he's back as coach with goals for his players and community beyond football.

DMac

Post by DMac »

HALLELUJAH!!!!!
The days get longer by an average of 2 minutes and 7 seconds every day after 21 December.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

great-great grandma from Lake Wobegone still gets her kicks from bowling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URGdCterNfM

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:28 pm HALLELUJAH!!!!!
The days get longer by an average of 2 minutes and 7 seconds every day after 21 December.
Only three months before my first spring bulbs, crocus and dwarf iris, pop open followed by daffs and tulips! Another Festivus miracle.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

You need to force some paper whites and amaryllis!
It’s the perfect segue to spring!

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”