ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by MVPiccoli »

coda wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:12 pm Have to guess the Ivy takes a step back. Princeton has been gutted. Penn struggled on O with Handley. Farrare will be missed. Cornell and Yale look like the only preseason teams likely for the tournament. Can Yale continue their Air Raid version of lacrosse and make the tournament?
Farrare did not look like himself this year IMHO. Not that he won't be missed, but, the offensive transition danger he presented previously was either eliminated by coaching or the oppositions game planning. Just didn't seem to have that extra gear that made him so special. Handley was obviously terrific, but I have to say Gergar seemed more in control of the offense. When he got injured it was a very different look.
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

coda wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:08 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:41 am Leo Hoffman #2 UPenn

looks like he had a pretty bad shoulder injury,
hopefully doesn’t carry into the season.
That sucks.
Hope the kid is ok. Lots of time to recover, even with the Fall being super important for incoming Freshman. I look forward to seeing him play. Could be just the spark/talent Penn needs on offense.
coda

Post by coda »

Stiffler wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:08 am

That sucks.
Hope the kid is ok. Lots of time to recover, even with the Fall being super important for incoming Freshman. I look forward to seeing him play. Could be just the spark/talent Penn needs on offense.
THis is total side rant. He is a very talented kid and Penn fans should be excited. That said if lacrosse did rankings as a senior, there is no way he woudl be #2 overall. He is #2 on his team. They were kind of stacked with six 5 stars were on that team, which would lead me to say can you really have six 5 stars and lose 4 games?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

coda wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:22 am

That sucks.
THis is total side rant. He is a very talented kid and Penn fans should be excited. That said if lacrosse did rankings as a senior, there is no way he woudl be #2 overall. He is #2 on his team. They were kind of stacked with six 5 stars were on that team, which would lead me to say can you really have six 5 stars and lose 4 games?
What would you attribute that team losing 4 games to, if you had to guess?
“I wish you would!”
coda

Post by coda »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:33 pm

That sucks.
Defense was a mess early. Goaltending was not great. Offensively, they would play club ball at times.
I have seen this before. There was another team, maybe Georgetown Prep 1-2 years ago, that had like 3-5 5 stars and didnt play anywhere near that talent. I am mostly bringing up the recruiting rankings and how ridiculous it is that they are never updated. Class rankings are pretty much finished prior to a classes' junior season. Lacrosse recruiting ranking are light years behind other sports, but there is not any money in it, so it isnt going to change.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

coda wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:46 pm

That sucks.
Defense was a mess early. Goaltending was not great. Offensively, they would play club ball at times.
I have seen this before. There was another team, maybe Georgetown Prep 1-2 years ago, that had like 3-5 5 stars and didnt play anywhere near that talent. I am mostly bringing up the recruiting rankings and how ridiculous it is that they are never updated. Class rankings are pretty much finished prior to a classes' junior season. Lacrosse recruiting ranking are light years behind other sports, but there is not any money in it, so it isnt going to change.
I pay very little attention to recruit rankings.
“I wish you would!”
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

That sucks.
To be fair, they lost twice to national #1 Lawrenceville by 2 and in OT in a game they blew a large lead, by 1 on a blown ref call to Darien (albeit a very down Darien team) and by 1 to top 10 and probably top 5 Taft. 4 loses are 4 loses but its not like these were to scrubs. Brunswick had 19 D 1 commits on the roster this year, most to ACC/BIG/Ivy. Its no shame to not have stood out on that team.
coda

Post by coda »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:35 pm

That sucks.
To be fair, they lost twice to national #1 Lawrenceville by 2 and in OT in a game they blew a large lead, by 1 on a blown ref call to Darien (albeit a very down Darien team) and by 1 to top 10 and probably top 5 Taft. 4 loses are 4 loses but its not like these were to scrubs. Brunswick had 19 D 1 commits on the roster this year, most to ACC/BIG/Ivy. Its no shame to not have stood out on that team.
They probably won 65% of the draws in that first game vs Lawrenceville. Lville clear was ugly that day. That was actually a very poorly played lacrosse game. Brunswick has far superior talent on paper than Lawrenceville. Though the one big difference, very pertinent to the IVy, was the goalie. Cornell commit Timmy Piacentini was the best player on Lawrenceville, arguably the best 24 goalie in the nation. Excellent between the pipes and athletic. Pretty new to lacrosse, focusing on lacrosse when Posner got there. He is going to be a problem for the other Ivy teams
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Having the best players doesn't always equate to having the best team. The offense didn't gel this year and was very "dodge and shoot"-centric. With all of the talent they had, I felt like they really needed a passing X-attackman to run the offense.
coda

Post by coda »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:05 pm Having the best players doesn't always equate to having the best team. The offense didn't gel this year and was very "dodge and shoot"-centric. With all of the talent they had, I felt like they really needed a passing X-attackman to run the offense.
Yes, very Duke like with an even bigger talent edge
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

Agree with many of the comments re Goaltending and off ball defense early in the season. Particularly poor vs Darien and Taft.

Stars also don't matter if they can't go.

They were missing 3 returning starters for most of the season (2 attack, 1 middie) including their qb/x.

All were back for the last few games and you could see the difference in the two Salisbury games and last L'ville game.

Back to the IVY's. If I'm Penn/Hoffman I would be more worried about the ankle and hip injuries which have nagged him the last few years than the new shoulder issue.

When he's 100% he is one of the most explosive dodgers I have EVER seen, at ANY level.
coda

Post by coda »

NEWestFan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:55 pm Agree with many of the comments re Goaltending and off ball defense early in the season. Particularly poor vs Darien and Taft.

They were missing 3 returning starters for most of the season (2 attack, 1 middie) including their qb/x.

All were back for the last few games and you could see the difference in the two Salisbury games and last L'ville game.

Back to the IVY's. If I'm Penn/Hoffman I would be more worried about the ankle and hip injuries which have nagged him the last few years than the new shoulder issue.

When he's 100% he is one of the most explosive dodgers I have EVER seen, at ANY level.
interesting. I did not realize he was so banged up as a senior. He certainly did not look the same as a Senior

(I was not trying to pick on Brunswick. Its more that it is hard to believe any team has 6 legit 5 stars. Seems very improbable).
random observer

Post by random observer »

coda wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:25 pm
NEWestFan wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:55 pm Agree with many of the comments re Goaltending and off ball defense early in the season. Particularly poor vs Darien and Taft.

interesting. I did not realize he was so banged up as a senior. He certainly did not look the same as a Senior

(I was not trying to pick on Brunswick. Its more that it is hard to believe any team has 6 legit 5 stars. Seems very improbable).
I know Hausmann and Coale were out for much of the season, but who was the other guy missing (ostensibly the QB)? Wolfram played in the games I saw, including Darien. IMO Wick had the kind of depth of talent that meant even losing two great players like the ones I outlined really shouldn't have been an issue. That's not why they lost those games frankly. They lost because as you said, the goaltending was spotty, and poor defense off-ball. They also got caught out in transition a lot in the Darien and Taft losses.

Ultimately I do think there's ranking inflation at these top prep schools. The goalie being a top 50 player in the class of 2024 seemed skeptical to me when the IL rankings came out, and it seems outlandish now. A guy like Anderson has all the potential in the world, but #11 in his class seems a little high for a guy with high potential that's still looking to be more consistent. Hoffman is an explosive player and I like his high motor and ability to fight for tough gbs, but even before this season #2 seemed way too high for him IMO. Since he doesn't have prototypical size, I'd have loved to see him dodge from all over the field more rather than just from up top. I also have questions about his shooting mechanics at the next level as he doesn't get a ton of extension on his arms.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Either you are "mocking" the "star" system, or, on the flip side, you see value.

Does the IVY league allow athletes to have "donation" mouse roll over, like other lacrosse players have ? Figured it would be the perfect way to offer some "aid" to lacrosse players, since the Ivy doesn't ...ahem.....offer "athletic" scholarships. I will go check Columbia's website.....
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
coda

Post by coda »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:21 am

Either you are "mocking" the "star" system, or, on the flip side, you see value.

Does the IVY league allow athletes to have "donation" mouse roll over, like other lacrosse players have ? Figured it would be the perfect way to offer some "aid" to lacrosse players, since the Ivy doesn't ...ahem.....offer "athletic" scholarships. I will go check Columbia's website.....
I was more mocking recruiting valuations in lax. I think it is light years behind pretty much everyone else. A class is generally done before they play their Junior year in HS. That is ridiculous. It is obvious that the best evaluation is a current one. IF I was someone like UVa, I would take a couple no- brainers (top 10 only type kids) and wait until the summer of Junior year to pick off players. Not a lot of schools can do that, but if you can why not get another season to evaluate.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Brown gets another Transfer. "@TyXanders: Former @DrexelMLax midfielder Ben Scandone is set to transfer to @BrownU_MLAX, he tells @Inside_Lacrosse. Scandone registered 5G/8A as a freshman in 2023 and joins former @NDlacrosse lefty Jeremy Hopsicker as incoming transfers for the Bears."

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/16 ... 6936449024
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ben Scandone will be a solid addition, was moving towards the number three midfield option by year end, and teamed well with a couple AA caliber Drexel midfielders.
Can create separation, can find the open man, very good on the two man game - a solid solid addition.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Off topic but 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Well... when one's education and efforts provide plentiful surplus income...

A. Bartaway🇺🇦❤️✊✌️
Jul 5, 2023
@Bartaway
The implication that there would only be one person at the White House with cocaine is hilarious.

POLITICO
@politico
White House cocaine culprit unlikely to be found: Law enforcement official http://ow.ly/m3r4104N6vn

A. Bartaway🇺🇦❤️✊✌️
@Bartaway
There is no such thing as a sober Ivy Leaguer.
10:14 PM · Jul 5, 2023
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

https://lacrossebucket.com/2023/07/21/t ... from-2023/

When I saw the headline, "Top Underachieving Teams From 2023," I instantly asked myself, "Is Yale on this list?" No, Yale is not, but it's a short list... and two of the six teams named are Ivy. Yes, 2023 was a disappointing year for the Ancient 8 (er, or Selective 7, or sumpthin), even if three League teams did make it to the dance. While I was happy for Chris Fake, Brian Tevlin and their families, I found it strange and not altogether pleasant seeing these two win it all with a non-Yale team stocked with important grad transfers. This coming year, one Yale transfer will be playing for Georgetown, while many Princetonians will be playing in non-Ivy colors. Thanks to a few semesters off, the likes of Brandau and Bragg will be playing their fourth years for the Elis, with three All Americans returning. Oh but that defense, can Shay find the glue, team-work and steel to toughen it? I like Dartmouth's coaching change, but how soon might it be able to pay dividends? Big year for Daly, attracting some promising transfers to Providence, let's see if Brown can go from most underachieving to back in the dance.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:18 pm https://lacrossebucket.com/2023/07/21/t ... from-2023/

When I saw the headline, "Top Underachieving Teams From 2023," I instantly asked myself, "Is Yale on this list?" No, Yale is not, but it's a short list... and two of the six teams named are Ivy. Yes, 2023 was a disappointing year for the Ancient 8 (er, or Selective 7, or sumpthin), even if three League teams did make it to the dance. While I was happy for Chris Fake, Brian Tevlin and their families, I found it strange and not altogether pleasant seeing these two win it all with a non-Yale team stocked with important grad transfers. This coming year, one Yale transfer will be playing for Georgetown, while many Princetonians will be playing in non-Ivy colors. Thanks to a few semesters off, the likes of Brandau and Bragg will be playing their fourth years for the Elis, with three All Americans returning. Oh but that defense, can Shay find the glue, team-work and steel to toughen it? I like Dartmouth's coaching change, but how soon might it be able to pay dividends? Big year for Daly, attracting some promising transfers to Providence, let's see if Brown can go from most underachieving to back in the dance.
2 of those teams suffered key injuries (Rutgers and Ohio St.) and Brown got put on double secret probation. Harvard really stood out as underachieving. There's no loss of talent in Cambridge, so they should be back.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”