Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LeeRoggy

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by LeeRoggy »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:08 pm Just saw a photo of Coach Fisher at one of the early summer recruiting tourneys. Forget which one..
Coaching turnover on the defensive side of the ball is troubling. He came in with a big reputation but we still gave up way too many goals.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LeeRoggy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:26 am
oldbartman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:08 pm Just saw a photo of Coach Fisher at one of the early summer recruiting tourneys. Forget which one..
Coaching turnover on the defensive side of the ball is troubling. He came in with a big reputation but we still gave up way too many goals.
I mean talent may not be there but St Johns was getting smashed regularly on that end when he was there so I never got the reputation thing and figured it was a sales pitch by Raymond.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Throwing up names incoming kids here and then returning players but not all so unintentional if I miss someone but trying to focus on what I guess is the expected starters, contributors. Feels fluid, cannot believe Amuroso went to SHU but wish him well.

Incoming class (as reported):

Goalie:

Jackson Faoila - Canandaigua Academy
Trevor Fox - Holderness (legacy I believe)

Defense:

Robert Kinslow - Pal Mac (I’m throwing a “yo” on this kid being unheralded but very good)

Andre Wiest - Wilton (CT)

Brooks Rhine - Salisbury (PG, from Colorado)

Midfield:

Jack Schleicher - Seton Hall Prep (NJ)

Danny Campbell - St Louis U (MO)

Mikey Valent - Rush Henrietta (NY); FO

Tyler Cavo - Avon Old Farms

Colden Swisher - Ballston Spa/Burnt Hills

Nickolas Sotiropoulos - Severn (MD); LSM

Attack:

Chris Patterson - Bronxville

Anthony Stilwell - Rivers School (MA)

So…even w/o Liam Matthews we have a logjam at attack yet still need a feeder behind the cage. Two attack, high quality players who should contribute, by some measures despite his size Patterson may be the gem of the class but we rarely know before they show up who’s who.

Would’ve guessed LSM we are ok but only one smaller on coming in and lost Amusroso. Only one FO but if Shaifer, Shea and Schoefield are healthy we are in great shape there. Valent can play straight mid as well I believe.

Generally looks like midfield is more focused on athletes with upside as two way guys like Campbell and Schleicher

Feeling good at goalie between returning experience and the FR but defense HAS to improve and no clear FR that’s ready to step in so need health and improvement from the returning kids or we will get boat races out of half our games next year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Returning kids (of note and easily could miss a kid who steps up big or unaware of health considerations)

We return top five scorers and 7/9.

Attack: Dattellas, Delano, Greene, Ward, Rosa, Snellenburg, Evnin, DiTomasso, Barthelme and Begina.

* clearly overloaded here and some will have to play in first two mid lines.

FFG best guess ex FR: Dattellas, Barthelme and Ward/healthy Evnin (going to need a crease guy)

(O) Midfield: ?Herlihy?, Bach, Peterkin, Cardinali, Dino, Race, Belle Walker, Gullace, Stevens, Considine, Greenberg, Wimer, Delaney

FFG: sure seems like a lot of experience at mid. Assume Herlihy leaves.

Bach and Considine are locks. Peterkin didn’t play as much as he did to not be a contributor this year on top two lines. Delaney and Greenberg seem next up but I have to believe we will see a lot of 4th A in 24 between Rosa, Greene and DiTomasso. Maybe Wimer on O more as well.

SSDM: Race, Dino, Belle Walker, Stevens, Gullace

LSM: Duby, Keweley, Turner - thin, Duby and Turner will start most likely.

D: Firth, Fransiak, Corbett, Bennett, Rubingh, Johnson, Galiani, Comelia & maybe (hopefully) Max Horton - thin again

Goalie: Wilson, LK & Daly

So guesswork might suggest ten offensive kids who play the most would be (rather than 1 set attack line and top 7 mids)

Dattellas, Delano, Barthelme, Bach, Considine, Greene, Rosa, Ward, Peterkin & (if not Herlihy) Greenberg/Delaney?

SSDM: Race, Wimer, Dino?

LSM: Duby & Turner

FO: all set

D: Firth, Galiani & Horton/Comelia.

We thought we were set on back half last year and completely wrong. This year looks flipped going in but I’m not making that mistake again. Beat case is to slow the game down and lengthen possession but that ain’t Brundage style and we have personnel to play otherwise.

Then any FR who show up hot and ready to compete.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Only two attack recruits coming in - both very early commits so Brundage wanted them and they both must have had lots of options so they must have wanted to be in Geneva. One right and one left, based on their league awards and what I heard last summer, I predict they are an attack combo for years to come. Patterson can play X well and Stillwell is just as good an O mid as anyone out there so i bet they both see the field in 2024,
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:39 am Only two attack recruits coming in - both very early commits so Brundage wanted them and they both must have had lots of options so they must have wanted to be in Geneva. One right and one left, based on their league awards and what I heard last summer, I predict they are an attack combo for years to come. Patterson can play X well and Stillwell is just as good an O mid as anyone out there so i bet they both see the field in 2024,
Happy both are Geneva bound. Though it looks like it may be tough to crack the starting line-up on offense. Lots of moving pieces as at least 3 to 4 players who were expected to have an impact this past season will be getting their shot after losing most if not all the season to injury. Competition is a good thing.........
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Didn’t recall this being mentioned but both Jackson Faiola and Robert Kinslow were named All American

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/boys-lac ... dadf9.html
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:57 am Didn’t recall this being mentioned but both Jackson Faiola and Robert Kinslow were named All American

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/boys-lac ... dadf9.html
Mikey Valent from Rush-Henrietta named AA as well. Nice bit of local recruiting by the coaching staff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think we’re going to have ten double digit scorers returning, in 13 games. Five at 20+. Obviously need health and to solve the D issues but with a stable of quality FO men, feeling slightly better at G, some athletic younger SSdM like Race, Dino & Wimer there’s a path for this to look like 2018-2019.
man:down

Post by man:down »

I love the clean slate (new thread) and the optimism. Rumors are that multiple 5th years are coming back including, (possibly) Herlihy. Good news for the offense if he is healthy enough to run middie as opposed to making the log jam at attack worse. I think the coaches can't wait for this 5th year thing to be over so they can execute their plans without so many variables and suck big rosters - but I do wonder what their approach will be to red shirt guys. A bunch of the rising seniors doid not see the field their first year so they have another year or eligibility. Ward, Duby, Turner, Cardinalli (leadership team guy), Gulace (?), Stevens, Daly, Kewley... maybe more?
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Anybody know the reason why the NCAA back in 95 wouldn't allow D1 and D3 (D2?) to play one another in lacrosse. I can see football of course but lacrosse?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:55 am Anybody know the reason why the NCAA back in 95 wouldn't allow D1 and D3 (D2?) to play one another in lacrosse. I can see football of course but lacrosse?
Too hard too handle administratively. There’s a handful of other grandfathered schools outside lacrosse as well so it wasn’t lacrosse only but as football grew the financial aspects and consequent needs for oversight (good job enabling Bobby Lowder, SMU and uncle Luther!) they just didn’t have the appetite to manage who’s roster has what type of kids on them.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/20/ ... ation.aspx
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Thanks farfromgebeva. Too hard to administrate? Never use to be that way. I guess the NCAA with all their rules and regulations screwed things.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The Israel/Jamaica 7th place game was a good one. Darden should’ve taken more shots less from one dude but Jake Silberlicht dumped a couple in. Sherman got hurt at some point.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:41 pm Thanks farfromgebeva. Too hard to administrate? Never use to be that way. I guess the NCAA with all their rules and regulations screwed things.
It was probably never sustainable. Guys from the 80s tell me the NCAA regretted allowing split division play within a few years of its inception in 1980 formally.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

NCAA regrets allowing split play? Hobart has been playing Cornell and Syracuse (Penn State?) forever......
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:29 am NCAA regrets allowing split play? Hobart has been playing Cornell and Syracuse (Penn State?) forever......
Divisions only split in 1980. From their own NCAA website look how they lay out the timeline since 1980. 81, 83, 85, 87, 91. They were trying to unwind that allowance since they day they split the divisions formally you can see clearly. The time prior to 1980 sort of doesnt matter to this discussion.

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2013/11/20/ ... ation.aspx

Reorganization of the NCAA was approved at the Association's first Special Convention.
The membership was divided into three divisions for competition and legislative purposes.
An institution in Division II or III may elect to participate in Division I in one sport, other than football or basketball and must abide by the Division I bylaws governing the sport, even though their membership rests in another division.
Institutions, which elect Division III, could award any number of grants-in-aid, but athletics ability could not be taken into consideration.
Adopted by all divisions to permit a member of Division II or III to petition to be classified in Division I in any one men's sport, other than football or basketball, and in any one women's sport.
Adopted by Divisions I and III to require a Division III member institution that has a sport classified in Division I to apply the rules of both divisions to the sport, or the more stringent rule if both divisions have a rule concerning the same topic. The Division III Steering Committee may approve exceptions to the application of the Division III regulations to a sport at an institution that was a member of Division III and had the sport classified in Division I during the 1982-83 academic year.
Defeated (approved by Divisions I and II, defeated by Division III; approval by all divisions necessary) to permit a Division II member to petition to be classified in Division III in a sport if there is a Division III championship in that sport, but no Division II championship.
Adopted by all divisions to eliminate the opportunities for a Division I member to have a women's sport classified in Division II or III and a Division II member to have a women's sport classified in Division III. Effective September 1, 1986
Adopted by all divisions to provide the Division III Steering Committee with the authority to approve exceptions to the Division III financial aid regulations for a sport classified in Division I for one sex at a Division III institution that already has obtained an exception for a sport classified in Division I for the opposite sex.
Defeated by all divisions to eliminate multidivision classification of sports for all Division III members and to prohibit Division I and Division II institutions from being classified in football or other sports in Division III.
Defeated (defeated by Divisions I and II; no vote declared in Division III, but approval of all divisions necessary) to prohibit Division I and Division II institutions from being classified in football and other sports in Division III.
Adopted by all three divisions to prohibit institutions from classifying its women's athletics program in a division other than the institution's membership division and to permit institutions currently using this opportunity to continue to do so, subject to Council review every three years.
Adopted by all three divisions to prohibit a Division II or III member institution from classifying its women's basketball program in Division I.
Defeated (defeated by Division II; approved by Divisions I and III, but approval of all divisions necessary) to prohibit a Division II or III member institution from being classified in Division I in one sport for men and/or one sport for women, and to permit the Division I Steering Committee and applicable Division I member institutions to approve exceptions to this requirement.
Adopted by all three divisions to permit a member institution to petition to be classified in a division other than its membership division in a sport in which the only NCAA Championships opportunity is a National Collegiate Championship for which all divisions are eligible.
Adopted by all three divisions to prohibit a member of Division I from being classified in Division II or III in football and to prohibit a member of Division II from being classified in Division III in football. Effective September 1, 1993.
Adopted by Divisions I and III to permit a member institution that has a sport classified in Division I to apply the rules of both divisions, or the more stringent rule if both divisions have a rule concerning the same issue except that in either instance, the institution may apply the Division I playing and practice season regulations of Bylaw 17 in the Division I.
Staff Interpretation. A Division III institution that conducts a sport classified in Division I and meets the criteria for a waiver per NCAA Bylaw 20.6.1.2.1 (waivers), may not provide athletically related financial aid to a student-athlete in that sport if the student-athlete participated in another sport at that institution during the same academic year.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxman1969 wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:37 pm The change in coaching is to be announced on July 1st, according to my sources.
Crickets..Heard Coach Fisher was at another recruiting event this past week.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I think Fisher is here for at least the year. He's at the recruit camp today. But I also think there was some coaching restructuring. Did the rules on the number of coaches change?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”