Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sweet Jesus, what a beatdown.
njbill

Re: BC v. Notre Dame -- NCAA Quarterfinal

Post by njbill »

Brownlax wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:01 pm
njbill wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:45 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:30 pm
njbill wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:23 pm It certainly looks like a very cramped facility. But the rules are the rules. You have to kick out those spectators standing behind the end line. All venues have capacity limits. Once the limits are exceeded, go home and watch on TV.
Where is the rule about no spectators behind the end line? I have seen numerous schools with fans behind the goal.
Rule 1, sec. 15:

"No spectators are allowed behind the end lines, except in permanent stadium seating positioned behind protective netting or fencing."

Not sure if you are referring to fans sitting in permanent seating, which is allowed, or something else.
BC has permanent bleachers behind netting. How is that illegal?
I don’t know if they are permanent or not, but assume you were right. I am talking about the people standing. They can’t do that.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:23 pm It certainly looks like a very cramped facility. But the rules are the rules. You have to kick out those spectators standing behind the end line. All venues have capacity limits. Once the limits are exceeded, go home and watch on TV.
It was a gorgeous day that was enjoyed by all spectators (except those dressed in green.) Tall trees surround the field, creating a bucolic feel that stood in fine contrast to the less charming venues of the other games. No wonder BC produced the highest attendance of the four contests. Ample concessions were available, as were team rooms and flush toilets for the players (an odd obsession of posters here). Parking was free and convenient. Since it was a weekday game, there were fewer spectators than at the Penn game, so no fire codes were broken. There was bleacher seating available throughout the game, but many chose to enjoy the sunshine by moving around the stadium, myself included. The Irish fans were quite vocal in “helping” the refs, but not even they complained about the fans behind the end lines. Perhaps the visiting teams complained to the refs about the spectators visible on video who were behind the end lines at yesterday’s Carolina and Northwestern games. I don’t know since I wasn’t there.

I can assure you this — spectators standing behind the end lines was not one of the 100 most important takeaways from a convincing BC win on a warm and sunny afternoon in May.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Cannie, you continue to crack me up. Other venues were less charming? Huh. Northwestern or North Carolina less charming than BC’s high school field? Give me whatever you are smoking. Or perhaps you are just joshing. You are such a kidder.

I haven’t been to this Eden on Earth, but it sure sounds magical that BC built restrooms, locker rooms, and concession stands over the course of a couple of days. You must be a comedy writer for the late night TV shows who has nothing to do these days. This is absolutely top drawer stuff, CO. Comedy gold.

I don’t write the rulebook. I don't make the spectator rules. I don’t enforce the rules. As I said, my “interest” comes from the fact that years ago I got booted from watching a game behind the end lines. I went home and read the rulebook (HS, but the rule is essentially the same as college) and, lo and behold, the ref was right.

I’m not talking about spectators who were moving around or those who were sitting in the bleachers. (Don’t know if the bleachers were permanent or not, but I’ll bet you went over and took a picture of the bolts into concrete if that was the case. Or maybe you can do another screen grab from twitter.)

I’m referring to the scores and scores of fans who were standing beyond the end lines. Yes, there were a small handful of fans similarly situated at the UNC and NU games, though not 1/10 as many as in Newton. Maybe the UNC/NU standees were fans (at least some seemed to be) or maybe they had some official capacity. Regardless, I guess you believe two (or three) wrongs make a right.

I know you have all of my posts since the day I was born memorized and catalogued. Go check your records and you’ll see I made similar comments years ago about the Maryland facility where they allow spectators to stand behind one of the end lines (and lots of them like at Newton yesterday).

I’m sure it was a great day to be a BC fan. Great win for the Eagles. Congratulations to you since I know you played such an integral part in Boston's win. Oh, by the way, knowing how you like to comment on the appearance of the Notre Dame coach (didn’t you say something like “perma-scowl” about her at the ACC tourney?), what do you have to say about her appearance yesterday? Is it OK with you for a coach to not be smiling when her team is losing a playoff game?

Note to seacoaster: you knew this relationship wouldn't last. Just had to give CO the same treatment Chipper gave Howie.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Love or hate the venue — BC had the highest attendance in the quarterfinal and second round. I’m not sure too many fans are worried about the current conditions at Newton
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:15 am Cannie, you continue to crack me up. Other venues were less charming? Huh. Northwestern or North Carolina less charming than BC’s high school field? Give me whatever you are smoking. Or perhaps you are just joshing. You are such a kidder.

I haven’t been to this Eden on Earth, but it sure sounds magical that BC built restrooms, locker rooms, and concession stands over the course of a couple of days. You must be a comedy writer for the late night TV shows who has nothing to do these days. This is absolutely top drawer stuff, CO. Comedy gold.

I don’t write the rulebook. I don't make the spectator rules. I don’t enforce the rules. As I said, my “interest” comes from the fact that years ago I got booted from watching a game behind the end lines. I went home and read the rulebook (HS, but the rule is essentially the same as college) and, lo and behold, the ref was right.

I’m not talking about spectators who were moving around or those who were sitting in the bleachers. (Don’t know if the bleachers were permanent or not, but I’ll bet you went over and took a picture of the bolts into concrete if that was the case. Or maybe you can do another screen grab from twitter.)

I’m referring to the scores and scores of fans who were standing beyond the end lines. Yes, there were a small handful of fans similarly situated at the UNC and NU games, though not 1/10 as many as in Newton. Maybe the UNC/NU standees were fans (at least some seemed to be) or maybe they had some official capacity. Regardless, I guess you believe two (or three) wrongs make a right.

I know you have all of my posts since the day I was born memorized and catalogued. Go check your records and you’ll see I made similar comments years ago about the Maryland facility where they allow spectators to stand behind one of the end lines (and lots of them like at Newton yesterday).

I’m sure it was a great day to be a BC fan. Great win for the Eagles. Congratulations to you since I know you played such an integral part in Boston's win. Oh, by the way, knowing how you like to comment on the appearance of the Notre Dame coach (didn’t you say something like “perma-scowl” about her at the ACC tourney?), what do you have to say about her appearance yesterday? Is it OK with you for a coach to not be smiling when her team is losing a playoff game?

Note to seacoaster: you knew this relationship wouldn't last. Just had to give CO the same treatment Chipper gave Howie.
A lot to unpack here. While it’s tempting to insert a Nurse Ratched “medication time” gif, the quixotic devotion to critiquing BC athletic facilities is oddly, well, charming. Make a hole! The I.M. Pei of stadium restrooms is on deck.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Can Opener wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:25 am A lot to unpack here. While it’s tempting to insert a Nurse Ratched “medication time” gif, the quixotic devotion to critiquing BC athletic facilities is oddly, well, charming. Make a hole! The I.M. Pei of stadium restrooms is on deck.
Oh, my little Can-taloupe. Suggesting I should be in a mental hospital and given psychiatric meds. Tsk. Tsk. Had I said you were cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs and belonged in an insane asylum, you’d have reported me to admin in a nanosecond. “Mommy, mommy. My feelings are really really really hurt. He’s being SOOOOO mean to me. Make him stop. MAKE HIM STOP.”

In any event, it sounds like the Can Opener Pavilion is now well under construction. Great news. Hiring the I.M. Pei firm was a brilliant stroke. I heard it’s going to be an indoor-outdoor facility with a retractable roof. Best stadium in D1 lacrosse. No more games in a gymnasium closet or at a high school field. No more forcing opponents to change on buses as part of BC’s so-called “home field advantage.” And, best of all, the new restrooms will have the finest Cans (named after the main benefactor) known to womankind so patrons will no longer be compelled to “enjoy” the sights, sounds, and smells of the BC porta potties.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I will leave the fight over facilities to others.
As for the game, this was the BC team I expected to see throughout the season. The one that returned everyone ok from last year not named Charlotte North. And they just match up really well against notre dame, who had a nice season this year but didn’t have the consistent level of talent at each position that BC did. After wolack, choma and Ahearn, the talent level at notre dame wasn’t the same as scales, Welch, schleicher, Martello, the weeks sisters, etc.

Cuse northwestern is a really intriguing game. The cuse offense has more top end weapons in my opinion, but the bc has a decided advantage in defense and goalie play…

Should be very fun.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Wait ... how is it possible that the year after Charlotte North leaves (after carrying the team for 2 years) BC wins its first ACC championship and returns to the final four?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:32 pm Wait ... how is it possible that the year after Charlotte North leaves (after carrying the team for 2 years) BC wins its first ACC championship and returns to the final four?
Simple - take out several players from UNC...
IMO its more about who UNC lost than BC.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

My comment was not directed at UNC. Just find it interesting that post CN, BC had one of its best years winning its first ACC championship and once again making the final four - beating every ACC team along the way including Cuse. At the same time, many preseason favorites like faltered. Its a team game and BC has good talent across the board.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 11:29 pm My comment was not directed at UNC. Just find it interesting that post CN, BC had one of its best years winning its first ACC championship and once again making the final four - beating every ACC team along the way including Cuse. At the same time, many preseason favorites like faltered. Its a team game and BC has good talent across the board.
Agree it took them awhile to find their groove but they are def clicking. I am not one of those who felt they would have a down year after CN left . Too much talent and more importantly - experience. Older , more experienced coaching on O and D also helps.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Will the "Big 3" at Notre Dame who combine for about 270 points stay together as grad students now that they have a ND degree? Will be interesting to see.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”