Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Georgetown vs Virginia in Qrtrs

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:38 pm
DMac wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:01 am tech, does one ticket cover both games?
(not going, just curious)
Qtrs in past, one ticket for both
Thnx.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoxwurth wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:41 pm
HGK wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:25 pm
Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:15 pm St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

As far as Gtown’s offense, Yales defense provides us no benchmark at all, since they also gave up 20, 17, 23, and 19 over the season.
This circular logic is of very little value. Is the fact that Georgetown destroyed Loyola, who beat UMD - who beat UVA give the Hoyas an edge? Of course not. Let’s please not use the SJU game and Yale’s highest goals allowed over a full season as a benchmark for what will happen Saturday.
The season should be reviewed overall. In retrospect, GT's first three games give a good idea about the team's quality: not as good as ND, equivalent to a solid JHU, and probably unlucky against Penn. GT's best games were against Denver. Whether that's the result of Denver-specific matchups or late season improvement isn't clear. I am unsure what to take away from the GT-Loyola game, but Loyola looked thoroughly outclassed by Army in their last game.

GT will score against Virginia's defense, which has improved from porous to serviceable. That "serviceable" level of defense is far superior to anything Yale could muster this season, and Virginia's offense is even better than Yale's. Think it's just as likely we see Virginia's backups getting playing time as GT winning.
True and not true. Gtown now is not the same team as Gtown in the first three games. But, the point about Denver (would also include Villanova) being their best (most complete) games is true. I'd put Yale up there with those first three games, definitely not to the level of ND, better than Penn, not quite the level of JHU. So we know the Gtown of today can score goals. Can the defense (and goalie) play to the level it did against Denver and Nova is the question.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

It will be interesting to see Georgetown’s approach on defense. Do they put Bowen on Schoellenberger and hope that he limits him and make the others beat the defense? If so then who covers Dickson, who can play anywhere? I think GU’s best chance is the above strategy.

The other keys are the faceoff and health of Reilly, and if Hincks plays like the second half of the Yale game.

A lot will have to click for GU to win, and UVA has the coaching, talent and experience to win.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:15 pm St. John’s (0-14) had their highest number of goals for the year against Georgetown. I’m going to go ahead and assume that the Wahoos could play their substitutes and score the same if not more as SJ. I can only imagine UVA’s starters if Lasalla goes off at 60%+.

As far as Gtown’s offense, Yales defense provides us no benchmark at all, since they also gave up 20, 17, 23, and 19 over the season.
This circular logic is of very little value. Is the fact that Georgetown destroyed Loyola, who beat UMD - who beat UVA give the Hoyas an edge? Of course not. Let’s please not use the SJU game and Yale’s highest goals allowed over a full season as a benchmark for what will happen Saturday.
The season should be reviewed overall. In retrospect, GT's first three games give a good idea about the team's quality: not as good as ND, equivalent to a solid JHU, and probably unlucky against Penn. GT's best games were against Denver. Whether that's the result of Denver-specific matchups or late season improvement isn't clear. I am unsure what to take away from the GT-Loyola game, but Loyola looked thoroughly outclassed by Army in their last game.

GT will score against Virginia's defense, which has improved from porous to serviceable. That "serviceable" level of defense is far superior to anything Yale could muster this season, and Virginia's offense is even better than Yale's. Think it's just as likely we see Virginia's backups getting playing time as GT winning.
First 3 games was generally the toughest stretch of opponents Georgetown face, but teams change over the course of the season (especially ones integrating a new offensive coordinator and 4 grad transfers on offense). I don't think the first three games are necessarily a full indication of the team, but if we were to say that they were not as good as ND and equivalent to Hopkins (who people seem to be sleeping on purely because of past seasons IMO), then they very much stand a chance on Saturday. Also, you say Loyola was outclassed by Army, but they were in that game until the end. They were never in the game against Georgetown.

Regardless, I do generally agree with you in feeling pretty confident that UVA wins this game. Probably by about 4-5 goals; they know how to manage May and Georgetown hasn't had that breakthrough yet. Reilly being not 100% is a major concern, especially since Petey will stay on after draws and make Reilly put stress on that hamstring. I also think UVA has the kind of athletic poles that can keep pace with Dordevic and Minicus. Dordevic has a great combination of size and speed, but we've seen Saustad clamp down guys like Bernhardt when it matters. Minicus is as fast as any attack man in the country, but the kind of length that Kastner and Saustad possess buys them some cushion. There won't be any cheap goals where they can just blow by their man like against Yale; they're going to have to keep the ball hot and I think Kelly and Haley may have to pick up more slack than usual in their role as passing conductors to keep pace with the UVA attack.
Hoxwurth

Post by Hoxwurth »

random observer wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:13 pm Dordevic has a great combination of size and speed, but we've seen Saustad clamp down guys like Bernhardt when it matters. Minicus is as fast as any attack man in the country, but the kind of length that Kastner and Saustad possess buys them some cushion. There won't be any cheap goals where they can just blow by their man like against Yale; they're going to have to keep the ball hot and I think Kelly and Haley may have to pick up more slack than usual in their role as passing conductors to keep pace with the UVA attack.
Dordevic is also a volume shooter. If GT isn't getting possession, his expected performance becomes more difficult to predict. Solomon had some success against Virginia in 2021. He'd be my pick for "X" factor.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:09 pm It will be interesting to see Georgetown’s approach on defense. Do they put Bowen on Schoellenberger and hope that he limits him and make the others beat the defense? If so then who covers Dickson, who can play anywhere? I think GU’s best chance is the above strategy.

The other keys are the faceoff and health of Reilly, and if Hincks plays like the second half of the Yale game.

A lot will have to click for GU to win, and UVA has the coaching, talent and experience to win.
Curious about this too. Do you take the conventional approach and try to limit Shellenberger with your best, or do you key on Dickson and Cormier and try to force Shellenberger into a scoring role (where he's not been as strong this year) rather than distributer? That's a risky proposition. If Georgetown plays their best D, they are capable of holding UVA under 14 and then we've got a game.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

No idea how they do Saturday but think they have improved to better than serviceable as the season has progressed. The personnel is very good with 3 AA players in Saustad, Sallade and Kastner plus Matsui is a 4 year starter.It’s one game but they held Notre Dame to 8 goals recently. Who else has done anything like that. I still think it comes down to face offs, turnovers and goaltending. Should be a great contest.
molo

Post by molo »

I’m thinking more like that GT-Yale v game a few years C ago than the stomping UVA administered two years ago. UVA 18-13.
DMV_Guy

Post by DMV_Guy »

I think folks are overlooking the fact that these two teams have already played one another, albeit a scrimmage in February. Scrimmages and scrimmages, but from what I heard the matchup was pretty close and arguably around the time where G’town was at their worst. Now obviously both teams have grown/changed since then, but seems ignorant to say G’town doesn’t have a shot — they’ve proven at the very least capable of keeping up. I would think that should give the Hoyas some confidence heading into Albany. I have G’town 16-15 in a thriller
Wife and four kids. I work at the Department of Motor Vehicles so please speak slowly. Posting in between shifts from the toilet.
ny10458

Post by ny10458 »

Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:31 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 12:26 pm
tech37 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:36 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:15 am
tech37 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:55 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:53 am
1moreuvafan2 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 am No way that's going to happen. Have you seen Georgetown's offense? There's going to be a lot of action.
i'd say looking at results it's at least a possibility. which of their games have been overly impressive offensively?

they may be in their groove this weekend, but i wouldn't say any result is out of bounds.
Whichever keeper shows up will determine this one...can't wait!
don't see it this narrow meeself, but can't wait also!
Maybe so. How's this...to win, GTown D and goalie need to play better than they did vs Yale...broad enough for ya?
i'd say.
reilly being able to compete may help.

could be wrong, but it'd seem the hoos' kryptonite has been slow starts. hoyas' best bet is to come out early and get some semblance of a lead. a run will come, but they could then weather it. control the pace in that event as well. if uva smokes early, not a team you want to try to come back on.

Even when UVA doesn’t come out hot, they seem to deflate other teams (Maryland and Duke being the exceptions). Against ND, score was 4-4 at half, but it felt like UVA was ahead. ND looked defeated as soon as the second half began.
"Nope."
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

blue angels wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:30 am
Powellfan22 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:08 am
Finster wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:22 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:53 am
1moreuvafan2 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:27 am No way that's going to happen. Have you seen Georgetown's offense? There's going to be a lot of action.
i'd say looking at results it's at least a possibility. which of their games have been overly impressive offensively?

they may be in their groove this weekend, but i wouldn't say any result is out of bounds.

The ride ends for the Hoyas this weekend. Lasalla will dominate FO, and Georgetown will push tempo in response to fewer possessions (good luck getting Dordevic to play 60 second possessions), which plays into UVA’s hands. Last time these two teams met, UVA took them to the woodshed 14-3.

UVA by 5+
In fairness that game was back in 2021. Reilly got knocked out on the first possession and that seemed to take the wind out of Georgetown's sails. This Georgetown team is almost completely different to that one. I do think the Cavs win but not sure it will be such a cakewalk.
On any given day, anyone can win. I am sure the Georgetown staff is still smarting from that game 2 years ago, but this is a very different Georgetown team so not sure it translates to the players as much...... I feel like we are playing some kind of ACC all star team with all the ex UNC, Cuse guys in key roles. They have all played against Virginia before and won some of those games. They won't be in awe from the 1st face off on.
Starters or significant contributors that were there and played in 2021: Haley, McDermott, Bundy, Reilly, Godine, Leary, Hess, Tominovich, Donaldson.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Like last time - I’m sure UVA will try to knock Reilly out of the game. Winning face offs with long possessions is key to a Hoyas victory. Expect extremely aggressive UVA wing play.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:41 am Like last time - I’m sure UVA will try to knock Reilly out of the game. Winning face offs with long possessions is key to a Hoyas victory. Expect extremely aggressive UVA wing play.
For sure especially if he goes out that easily. I like that you are already crying pregame.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 am
Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:41 am Like last time - I’m sure UVA will try to knock Reilly out of the game. Winning face offs with long possessions is key to a Hoyas victory. Expect extremely aggressive UVA wing play.
For sure especially if he goes out that easily. I like that you are already crying pregame.
Hmm. I must have struck a chord. Making the trip to Albany? Don’t forget your tiki torches!
Last edited by Creasedive on Wed May 17, 2023 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 am
Hmm. I must have struck a chord. Watching the game with George Huguley or making the trip to Albany? Don’t forget your tiki torches!
Wow this is a really offensive post. I can’t believe you would even bring up Huguley. Just unbelievable!!
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Let’s do this. Take a few steps backward here and tone it down. Remember, the competition and battle are waged on the field!
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Brownlax wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:55 am
Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:47 am
Hmm. I must have struck a chord. Watching the game with George Huguley or making the trip to Albany? Don’t forget your tiki torches!
Wow this is a really offensive post. I can’t believe you would even bring up Huguley. Just unbelievable!!
That should be a penalty box post. Totally uncalled for, offensive and, least importantly, ignorant of lacrosse. UVA massacres Georgetown last game regardless of who is at FO. It is also not as if Reilly is TD. He is very good but not a game decider.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:41 amExpect extremely aggressive UVA wing play.
Tiffany has been explicit about encouraging his players to play aggressively to the point of forcing the referees hands. In 2021, UVA had three penalties in the first quarter. Unfortunately, the Hoyas were unable to capitalize on any of them. Have to think their league leading EMO can do better this year. Could be an interesting wrinkle to this game.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

That should be a penalty box post. Totally uncalled for, offensive and, least importantly, ignorant of lacrosse. UVA massacres Georgetown last game regardless of who is at FO. It is also not as if Reilly is TD. He is very good but not a game decider.
[/quote]

Fair enough. Deleted. Back to my original comment - I am sure Tiffany will take the same approach to this game as he took last time. Rough up the already injured FOGO. Just a matter of how far over the line he goes. 2021 was over the line.
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Creasedive wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:34 am That should be a penalty box post. Totally uncalled for, offensive and, least importantly, ignorant of lacrosse. UVA massacres Georgetown last game regardless of who is at FO. It is also not as if Reilly is TD. He is very good but not a game decider.
Fair enough. Deleted. Back to my original comment - I am sure Tiffany will take the same approach to this game as he took last time. Rough up the already injured FOGO. Just a matter of how far over the line he goes. 2021 was over the line.
[/quote]

Locking off adjacents and pressuring a fogo when matched up with an LSM isn’t an uncommon strategy, isn’t “over the line”, and doesn’t signify intent to injure. Reilly’s injury was a freak accident, he was hit from the side and landed funny. The penalty wasn’t called on the hit that caused the injury, it was called on Connors pushing him out of bounds when he was laying on the ground.

Are they going to pressure that matchup on Saturday when he has the ball in his stick? 100%, most good coaches would.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”