For hockey fans...

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: For hockey fans...

Post by Brooklyn »

As a wise man from Lake Wobegone once said, the times they are a changin'.

At one time in the NHL there were more punches thrown in an average game than on Friday Night Fights. But no more. The old protocol of drop your gloves and fight or get dropped is now gone.

The other day Max Domi clobbered Aaron Ekblad and it was clear that this attack was unprovoked. He was kicked out of the game by the ref and is now suspended for his violence:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2474 ... cker-punch

I wonder if this may mean that fighting will soon be banned altogether.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Brooklyn wrote:As a wise man from Lake Wobegone once said, the times they are a changin'.

At one time in the NHL there were more punches thrown in an average game than on Friday Night Fights. But no more. The old protocol of drop your gloves and fight or get dropped is now gone.

The other day Max Domi clobbered Aaron Ekblad and it was clear that this attack was unprovoked. He was kicked out of the game by the ref and is now suspended for his violence:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2474 ... cker-punch

I wonder if this may mean that fighting will soon be banned altogether.
Domi got suspended for dropping his gloves and throwing a punch without Ekblad dropping his gloves and accepting the offer to square off. The league rules are pretty clear on this. I don’t see any moves close to banning fighting. Domi is in for a long year. He’ll get the real punishment for his crimes in the regular season.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DD-Tech wrote:

Domi got suspended for dropping his gloves and throwing a punch without Ekblad dropping his gloves and accepting the offer to square off. The league rules are pretty clear on this. I don’t see any moves close to banning fighting. Domi is in for a long year. He’ll get the real punishment for his crimes in the regular season.

I understand European pro hockey leagues have banned fighting altogether and that the sport's popularity has increased as a consequence. But I couldn't find any link which identifies those leagues. Would be interesting to see if this issue is being explored by the lords of the NHL due to concern over player concussions, the current lawsuit by former players over CTE, and other matters.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Gritty? Really? Can't Battleship Bob Kelly put this 'thing' into the boards?

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Not sure what marketing genius thought THIS up, but there's been some pretty funny reaction to it from the sports talk radio crowd in the land of the Broad Street Bullies...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

Heard Gritty was is now being referred to as the “methMuppet”. :lol:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

:lol: :lol:

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

dislaxxic wrote:Not sure what marketing genius thought THIS up, but there's been some pretty funny reaction to it from the sports talk radio crowd in the land of the Broad Street Bullies...
“It’s not my mascot,” right winger Wayne Simmonds told the Courier-Post at Flyers practice Monday morning. “I’ve never seen that thing before in my life.”
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

Sorry to veer away from hockey but along the same line, I wonder how the hell the Red Sox ever thought Sweet Caroline was a perfect song for them :roll: What a pansy ass song sung by a diva performer. I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-re ... ark-anthem

“Sweet Caroline” isn’t about Boston (and might not even be about the area’s most famous Caroline), is written by someone who’s not a local, and features dreamy, uplifting lyrics that seem to fly in the face of Boston’s self-professed cynical, tough-guy image. Will the team ever move away from Diamond, perhaps putting “I’m Shipping Up to Boston” by the Dropkick Murphys in the rotation instead? The future remains unclear. But to quote Mr. Diamond, “I’d be inclined (ba ba baaa) to believe they never would.”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6x6 wrote:Sorry to veer away from hockey but along the same line, I wonder how the hell the Red Sox ever thought Sweet Caroline was a perfect song for them :roll: What a pansy ass song sung by a diva performer. I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

“Sweet Caroline” isn’t about Boston (and might not even be about the area’s most famous Caroline), is written by someone who’s not a local, and features dreamy, uplifting lyrics that seem to fly in the face of Boston’s self-professed cynical, tough-guy image. Will the team ever move away from Diamond, perhaps putting “I’m Shipping Up to Boston” by the Dropkick Murphys in the rotation instead? The future remains unclear. But to quote Mr. Diamond, “I’d be inclined (ba ba baaa) to believe they never would.”

Wiki indicates Diamond wrote it about Caroline K. But maybe a song like "Dirty Water" might be more apropos. HOCR is on in one month and they should consider that song as their theme.

DD-Tech

Post by DD-Tech »

The Blues spending some team bonding time with the mids!

Not sure if the “old salt” saw this. The boys are spending some time in Annapolis!

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-em ... -300491198

We got a few more days until the puck drops. Can’t come soon enough for me.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Gritty update! (including video of dislaxxic at .07 second mark)

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Yeah, that's me with the big "P" on my shirt... :lol: :lol:

old salt

Post by old salt »

DD-Tech wrote:The Blues spending some team bonding time with the mids!

Not sure if the “old salt” saw this. The boys are spending some time in Annapolis!

https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-em ... -300491198

We got a few more days until the puck drops. Can’t come soon enough for me.
Thanks for the heads up. I missed it.
....I should have checked this thread sooner.
I'd have gone & watched them practice on Navy's big ice.
A NHL team visits USNA about once a year on a team building field trip.
The Mids really enjoy it. Navy's goalie got a good workout (see embedded video).
https://www.nhl.com/blues/news/blues-re ... -300509794
He'll be ready for the Mids' home opener this Fri vs RIT= Hockey Night in Crabtown.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Brooklyn wrote:
6x6 wrote:Sorry to veer away from hockey but along the same line, I wonder how the hell the Red Sox ever thought Sweet Caroline was a perfect song for them :roll: What a pansy ass song sung by a diva performer. I’m not the only one who thinks that way.

Wiki indicates Diamond wrote it about Caroline K. But maybe a song like "Dirty Water" might be more apropos. HOCR is on in one month and they should consider that song as their theme.
Would refuse even throwing out the first pitch of game 7 in the world series, hate this bunch of non-college cowards and the game that much. (not ONE MLB is a veteran, not even after 9/11 )

BUT....if you want a song for Boston sports teams, this is the one and only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy88-5pc7c8
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

runrussellrun wrote:
Brooklyn wrote:
6x6 wrote: Would refuse even throwing out the first pitch of game 7 in the world series, hate this bunch of non-college cowards and the game that much. (not ONE MLB is a veteran, not even after 9/11 )

BUT....if you want a song for Boston sports teams, this is the one and only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy88-5pc7c8

No real surprise since 30% of all MLB are foreign born and most white American born players come from middle and upper middle class families who never spent one day in Boot Camp but who profit from the military industrial complex.

And while Road Runner is a kool song, it does not rise to the anthem status that this gem has:

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Capitals' Tom Wilson suspended 20 games by NHL for blindside hit - Washington winger will also forfeit $1.26M US for illegal check on St. Louis Blues centre Oskar Sundqvist

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/ca ... -1.4849316

Looks like the NHL isn't kidding when it says it is going to crack down on violence. This was one nasty hit designed to injure, not to stop a shot or prevent a goal. Poor victim never saw it coming.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Sabres face off against Boston in their home opener tonight after Bruins get their beans baked by Caps 7-0 last night. Good luck with that.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

ardilla secreta wrote:Sabres face off against Boston in their home opener tonight after Bruins get their beans baked by Caps 7-0 last night. Good luck with that.

ANd licking Brad Marchand showed Ellersison what's what with taunting in a blow out. Rask has been horrible. Like my golf game, crazy good every 4th shot
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Wasn't expecting THAT :shock:

Flyers thump Vegas Golden Knights 5-2 in their barn on opening night...spoiling the vibe after the home team hoisted the Western Conference Championship banner.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”