2023 New York State Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
Kismet

Re: 2023 New York State Tournaments

Post by Kismet »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:24 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 4:03 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:39 pm The Ray Enners award is given to the most outstanding player in college lacrosse.He played at Half Hollow Hills EAST H.S. on Long Island before going to the U.S. Military Academy where he Captained the Army lacrosse team.He lost his life leading his men in the Vietnam war.Enners was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross,the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for his heroism.

There are two High Schools in the HHH District- EAST and WEST. As mentioned lt. Enners played at HHH East.Due to a lack of interest,there is now ONE lacrosse team in the district. Both HHH East and HHH West high schools fund teams in other sports. JUST NOT LACROSSE,

Perhaps lacrosse continues to be the fastest growing sport in America.Obviously not everywhere.Funding 2 lacrosse teams when there's little interest makes sense.
Enners played when there was one high school. At the time he played they only moved into the East building for his senior season in 1962. The original HS building then became Burrs Lane JHS and was subsequently sold to a private college when enrollments began to decline.

Enners nickname at Hills was "The Machine".

Ironically, that was the last time HHH even smelled a title winning the Long Island Championship from, maybe Manhasset? or East Meadow.
T-Birds have been to a title game since then 60+ years. The coach at HHH back then was Bill Martens who also taught AP American History. He later enjoyed much more lacrosse success as an assistant at Ward Melville (he lived in Setauket) when HHH showed him the door after the 1969 season. His team that year was favored to take the LI Championship but lost to Huntington in the Suffolk semis whom they had beaten easily in the regular season.

My sources tell me its a lot of intra-town bad blood rather than total lack of interest. Enrollment also has to be a contributor as well.
You are obvious tuned more than me.Yet I remain curious why in spite of the bad-blood, both schools have the resources and student interest to support hoops,FB,Baseball etc. I have 3 cousins that graduated from HH West.Those ladies didn't participate in sports....music and academics were their metier.All 3 had a great experience at HHH West.

BTW Ray Enners' HOF plaque indicates he graduated from HHH EAST.
When Ray Enners went to high school there was one building - called Half Hollow Hills HS. The building itself is now East HS complete with acoustically designed auditorium with two-tiered seating and a balcony and a fully functional planetarium including Zeiss projector .
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Kismet wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:52 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:39 pm The Ray Enners award is given to the most outstanding player in college lacrosse.He played at Half Hollow Hills EAST H.S. on Long Island before going to the U.S. Military Academy where he Captained the Army lacrosse team.He lost his life leading his men in the Vietnam war.Enners was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross,the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart for his heroism.

There are two High Schools in the HHH District- EAST and WEST. As mentioned lt. Enners played at HHH East.Due to a lack of interest,there is now ONE lacrosse team in the district. Both HHH East and HHH West high schools fund teams in other sports. JUST NOT LACROSSE,

Perhaps lacrosse continues to be the fastest growing sport in America.Obviously not everywhere.Funding 2 lacrosse teams when there's little interest makes sense.
Enners played when there was one high school. At the time he played they only moved into the East building for his senior season in 1962. The original HS building then became Burrs Lane JHS and was subsequently sold to a private college when enrollments began to decline.

Ironically, that was the last time HHH even smelled a title winning the Long Island Championship from, maybe Manhasset? or East Meadow.
T-Birds have been to a title game since then 60+ years. The coach at HHH back then was Bill Martens who also taught AP American History. He later enjoyed much more lacrosse success as an assistant at Ward Melville (he lived in Setauket) when HHH showed him the door after the 1969 season. His team that year was favored to take the LI Championship but lost to Huntington in the Suffolk semis whom they had beaten easily in the regular season.

My sources tell me its a lot of intra-town bad blood rather than total lack of interest. Enrollment also has to be a contributor as well.
You are obvious tuned more than me.Yet I remain curious why in spite of the bad-blood, both schools have the resources and student interest to support hoops,FB,Baseball etc. I have 3 cousins that graduated from HH West.Those ladies didn't participate in sports....music and academics were their metier.All 3 had a great experience at HHH West.

When Ray Enners went to high school there was one building - called Half Hollow Hills HS. The building itself is now East HS complete with acoustically designed auditorium with two-tiered seating and a balcony and a fully functional planetarium including Zeiss projector .
Apparently the folks at the HOF screwed up.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 9:47 am
Kismet wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:52 pm

Apparently the folks at the HOF screwed up.
Yep. They aren't locals. Not the first time for them either on accuracy when it comes to NY lacrosse. The same people who don't consider Ray Enners or Bill Martens meriting being in the National HOF. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
I should know...I'm an HHH alum. Long suffering lacrosse aficionado waiting since 1962 for our next lacrosse championship.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 5:51 am
thedisciple516 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 1:45 am
wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:50 pm I remember when you'd pencil in either West Genesee or Ward Melville as the NYS A Champion. Back then.one could argue that Fayetteville-Manlius was likely the 3rd or 4th best A team in the state. Tom Hall et al had a tough time beating W.G.

Corning East,Penn Yan and Irondequoit were always in the thick of things. For a while Cazenovia was formidable.Has Carthage won an NYS Championship yet?

Change is good IMHO.
Nope Carthage in a sad state. Goes to show how much coaching matters (all of the schools you mentioned have different coaches from the glory days I think)
Also feels like time given population and migration issues in the state of NY to restructure the class system across the board. I recall when I was up there hung moved into a AA class they experimented with but schools would drop in and out on enrollment threshold.

Doc Pg 7 here

https://www.nysac.org/files/NYSAC%20Pop ... 202020.pdf
Declining enrollment statewide has depressed the total number of teams in Class A. I do agree it is time to readjust the class boundaries...but the bigger issue is that the addition of Class D has watered down the other three classes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

LI13 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 11:04 am
wahoomurf wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 9:50 pm I remember when you'd pencil in either West Genesee or Ward Melville as the NYS A Champion. Back then.one could argue that Fayetteville-Manlius was likely the 3rd or 4th best A team in the state. Tom Hall et al had a tough time beating W.G.

Corning East,Penn Yan and Irondequoit were always in the thick of things. For a while Cazenovia was formidable.Has Carthage won an NYS Championship yet?

Change is good IMHO.
Nope Carthage in a sad state. Goes to show how much coaching matters (all of the schools you mentioned have different coaches from the glory days I think)
Also feels like time given population and migration issues in the state of NY to restructure the class system across the board. I recall when I was up there hung moved into a AA class they experimented with but schools would drop in and out on enrollment threshold.

Doc Pg 7 here

Declining enrollment statewide has depressed the total number of teams in Class A. I do agree it is time to readjust the class boundaries...but the bigger issue is that the addition of Class D has watered down the other three classes.
I’m getting into that too old to recall if class D existed (first half of 90s) when I was in HS
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
LI13

Post by LI13 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:26 pm

Change is good IMHO.

Doc Pg 7 here

I’m getting into that too old to recall if class D existed (first half of 90s) when I was in HS
Class C didn't even exist back then!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

"Nope Carthage in a sad state. Goes to show how much coaching matters (all of the schools you mentioned have different coaches from the glory days I think).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember the Carthage team led by Mikey Powell SU.Ian Dingman NAVY,Ventiquattro OSU and a guy from Black River who played at UVA met Garden City for the State Championship a few years ago .The on-field temperature in Hofstra Stadium was 109. Helluva game.

Re: Coaching: The Ward Melville school board forced coach Joe Cuozzo to step down.Over the years Manhasset experienced coaching changes as did Garden City.Northport has changed a few coaches as well.Yet all those programs are going strong.When Moran and Wizzers retire,I doubt Chaminade or St A's will implode.

IMHO A WELL ESTABLISHED PROGRAM WILL SURVIVE NO MATTER THE COACH

Carthage often appeared in the NYS playoffs The demographic profile of Carthage is scary.I assume it's directly linked to the population draiin Clearly survival outweighs athletics.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Mon May 22, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

LI13 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:56 pm

Change is good IMHO.

Doc Pg 7 here

To show you how much the NYS tournament has changed.... Back in 1979 Sachem (there was no Sachem East or Sachem North then) played Cold Spring Harbor for the NYS championship Sachem East & North are class A schools on their own now. Sachem was massive then. CSH is now Class D and has been this size, give or take 100 kids, since I went there.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

oldbartman wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:43 pm

Change is good IMHO.

Doc Pg 7 here

To show you how much the NYS tournament has changed.... Back in 1979 Sachem (there was no Sachem East or Sachem North then) played Cold Spring Harbor for the NYS championship Sachem East & North are class A schools on their own now. Sachem was massive then. CSH is now Class D and has been this size, give or take 100 kids, since I went there.
Yup. B happened in 1986 I think. C in 2001. D in 2019?

As for the Sachem split that actually happened pretty recently like 2005.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

[quote=

Carthage often appeared in the NYS playoffs The demographic profile of Carthage is scary.I assume it's directly linked to the population draiin Clearly survival outweighs athletics.
[/quote]

Carthage school district actually hasn't lost as many kids as some others. Usually I'd agree that a good program can survive losing a great coach but Carthage might be an exeption. Not familiar enough with the program to know the exact reason for the downfall.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

Change is good IMHO.

Doc Pg 7 here

For sure. Class A will be down to a few dozen schools if they don't. For whatever reason the population declines seem to be most severe on Long Island which has a higher proportion of A schools. West Islip is the most extreme example but there are others.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Why can't administrators change the parameters/cutoffs as enrollments decline to insure equal numbers of schools in each class?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Change is good IMHO.

Doc Pg 7 here

Yeah we were A then AA before I went to college. Section 4, basically a disaster region mostly now.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 3:07 pm "Nope Carthage in a sad state. Goes to show how much coaching matters (all of the schools you mentioned have different coaches from the glory days I think).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember the Carthage team led by Mikey Powell SU.Ian Dingman NAVY,Ventiquattro OSU and a guy from Black River who played at UVA met Garden City for the State Championship a few years ago .The on-field temperature in Hofstra Stadium was 109. Helluva game.

Re: Coaching: The Ward Melville school board forced coach Joe Cuozzo to step down.Over the years Manhasset experienced coaching changes as did Garden City.Northport has changed a few coaches as well.Yet all those programs are going strong.When Moran and Wizzers retire,I doubt Chaminade or St A's will implode.

How’s Immaculate Heart these days? Not anywhere near the level of the guys you note but we had a two sport guy late 2000s named Mike Lahore from there who had a nice career but I always felt had the potential to elevate. He just got stuck in that horrid period when our AD tried to backdoor us back to d3 leading to protests of alums and a 1 week reversal of a public announcement followed by the AD blowing out Kerwick, a NCAA issue that was the ADs fault for mismanagement and then a nasty NYT piece and a BOT members grandson at the time died from an Oxy overdoes (that all happened inside 24mo from 2008-2010).

Kid was a stud though that deserved better.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Kismet wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:50 pm Why can't administrators change the parameters/cutoffs as enrollments decline to insure equal numbers of schools in each class?
They can! They should! They will?
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

pcowlax wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 8:53 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:50 pm Why can't administrators change the parameters/cutoffs as enrollments decline to insure equal numbers of schools in each class?
They have? What works in one Section doesn't work in another. A perfect cutoff number for Sections VIII and XI doesn't work in Sections III and VI. Of course there are many that feel what happens outside of Long Island is of little importance. I think the perfect solution will be found about the same time Long Island includes private schools in the playoffs, which is never.
LI13

Post by LI13 »

laxpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:23 am
They have? What works in one Section doesn't work in another. A perfect cutoff number for Sections VIII and XI doesn't work in Sections III and VI. Of course there are many that feel what happens outside of Long Island is of little importance. I think the perfect solution will be found about the same time Long Island includes private schools in the playoffs, which is never.
It's not just Long Island that has shed Class A schools, though.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

And now back to lacrosse...

Syracuse Section 3 snapshot - Finals are set for Wed.

A - Bville and Liverpool will meet. As they say, Bville's game to lose. (Pool 7-6 over CNS)

B - West Genny takes on FM. Split regular season.

C - JD will play Westhill after Warriors 'upset' New Hartford.

D - Skaneateles gets upset by General Brown (who? (joking!)). Marcellus will be the opponent.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
thedisciple516

Post by thedisciple516 »

LI13 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:23 am
laxpert wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 9:23 am
It's not just Long Island that has shed Class A schools, though.
True but for whatever reason the enrollment drops on Long Island are most extreme. For example, 10 years ago West Islip was had 460 kids in their graduating class. Their elementary school classes today have around 260 kids. Commack was graduating 600-650 ten years ago, their middle school class today are 400-450 and their K-3rd classes are less then 400.
Sec11Kings

Post by Sec11Kings »

The Financial Crisis of 07-08 is generally referred to as a major driver of the enrollment decline on the Island. Cost of housing etc... Families are no longer having 3-4 kids, families are stopping at 1 or 2 kids. Which is driving school age enrollments down.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”