Voting Rights

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: Voting Rights

Post by holmes435 »

laxman3221 wrote:Man, it's so hard to make to those polls, only open from 7am till 9pm. One day every other year. So hard to plan ahead.
Yep, especially if you work in one of 20 states that don't guarantee time off to vote. Or when you're working two jobs to make ends meet, or your bus route back home close to your polling place takes an hour and a half to travel what takes a car 15-20 minutes. Or your boss doesn't make schedules until the Monday before that Tuesday voting so you have a half day to plan ahead, or you feel that your vote doesn't count and taking off four hours to vote will mean missing a meal or two. Or you don't have a computer or smart phone to see if you're still registered to vote and where to vote if your polling place has changed. Or if your polling places have been reduced and you wait in line two hours, or even six to eight hours to vote, like in Florida and Ohio and other battleground states. Or if you've got infants, or are caring for an elderly parent, or any other myriad amounts of valid reasons.

Yes Virginia, it is incredibly hard to make it to the polls for some people.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Fight To Force Wilbur Ross To Testify Is Coming To A Head In Census Case

May be a test of how the new SCOTUS will rule on Executive power situations...

Stay tuned.

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

holmes435 wrote:
laxman3221 wrote:Man, it's so hard to make to those polls, only open from 7am till 9pm. One day every other year. So hard to plan ahead.
Yep, especially if you work in one of 20 states that don't guarantee time off to vote. Or when you're working two jobs to make ends meet, or your bus route back home close to your polling place takes an hour and a half to travel what takes a car 15-20 minutes. Or your boss doesn't make schedules until the Monday before that Tuesday voting so you have a half day to plan ahead, or you feel that your vote doesn't count and taking off four hours to vote will mean missing a meal or two. Or you don't have a computer or smart phone to see if you're still registered to vote and where to vote if your polling place has changed. Or if your polling places have been reduced and you wait in line two hours, or even six to eight hours to vote, like in Florida and Ohio and other battleground states. Or if you've got infants, or are caring for an elderly parent, or any other myriad amounts of valid reasons.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- ... oting.aspx Only the grey states in the map require an excuse for "MAIL VOTING". Maybe we should do compulsory voting, then there can be no excuses. Let me guess, the next excuse will be some people do not receive mail. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

youthathletics wrote:http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections- ... oting.aspx Only the grey states in the map require an excuse for "MAIL VOTING". Maybe we should do compulsory voting, then there can be no excuses. Let me guess, the next excuse will be some people do not receive mail. ;)
Eh, compulsory voting doesn't seem to make a huge difference in Australia.

The main thing is that voting should be one of the easiest things to do. It's on the government to verify and certify votes fairly yes, and we should be willing to spend the money to do so. Either way there should be virtually no barriers for those willing to vote to be able to.

Deliberately restricting voting on those who are eligible is shameful.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Let me guess, the next excuse will be some people do not receive mail.
The main thing is that voting should be one of the easiest things to do. It's on the government to verify and certify votes fairly yes, and we should be willing to spend the money to do so. Either way there should be virtually no barriers for those willing to vote to be able to.
Absolutely. And it really isn't that hard or expensive to do either.

Here in Colorado, the law was changed a few years back to make mail-in voting the default method. I now vote in every single election and primary no matter how obscure. My mid-term ballot will arrive in the next couple days and I'll have 2-3 weeks to actually fill out my ballot and vote. Which really helps when you have to wade through a bunch a random ballot initiatives, bond issues and state constitution amendments.

Once I'm done, I can mail it back or go to one of the bazillion drop off boxes that will be located all over the place (including many that are open 7x24). I can also go to a polling place on election day if I want to go old school. After I drop it off, I can check online to make sure my ballot has been counted/received (which is nice because that info turns off the door knockers and phone callers).

No voter fraud problems -- even though it would seem to be WAY easier to monkey around with mail ballots as compared to doing fake in-person voting. CO is always in the top 5 states for voter turnout. Turns out that doing elections with default mail-in is also cheaper. Because doing all those physical voting locations is quite expensive to do.

But lets keep jamming poor folks with voter ID requirements. Unfortunately, we have a long tradition of trying to keep certain kinds of citizens from voting. Too bad that continues to be the shameful American way.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Not so for California (where I've lived for 35 years), whose districts were drawn by an independent commission with equal R and D representation.
Ballot measure out here in CO to have a commission draw the lines -- commission is four D, four R, four unaffiliated. 8 votes needed to approve the map (including at least two unaffiliateds).

Will probably win in a landslide, since there was near unanimous bi-partisan support for the commission in the state legislature. Apparently both sides finally got tired of fighting and re-fighting the war, which often resulted in the maps getting drawn by the courts anyway.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote:

And yet, you and yours are the same that don't care two figs about neighbors loosing jobs, global economy and such as the reason. Waaa. deplorables, maybe you should get re-trained to do a different job.

Unless I am mistaken that that ISN'T the liberal mantra. (or yours)

Can't you absentee ballot vote if working two jobs?

Maybe the land of Fahr, fahr away could be using its $100 of millions in PAC money (tom Steyer) to solve this issue, instead of lining his pockets with "green " energy he owns, or focusing of impeaching tRump. Unless voting times/rights really isn't a thing. I want more pictures of the waiting times. more video. I just don't believe their is a 7 hour wait to vote. I just can't believe people wouldn't riot
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Georgia Governor’s Race Is Epic Showdown Over Voting Rights

Fifth in a series...

Kemp is the Republican running against an African-American woman in the Georgia governor's race...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The GOP can't win on the issues...the demographics timebomb is ticking closer and closer to detonation, and so the only way they seem to have to win elections is to flog cultural issues

and...

KEEP PEOPLE FROM VOTING

Brian Kemp, the Republican candidate for governor, is in charge of elections and voter registration in Georgia.

Naked theft of voting rights seems to increasingly be the last resort of desperate republican politicians and their supporters.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

The Supreme Court Just Bulldozed Precedent to Make It Harder for Native Americans to Vote

Looking out for the "little guy"?? Quite the opposite, as it turns out.

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

AAAHHHHHHH.......friggin lunacy.

You need a valid ID to register to vote in every single state. This is a fact you and yours will ignore. All this talk about voter ID as a form of surpression is complete nonsense. Closing polling locations or having 8 hour waiting times is NOT nonsense, if in fact it is happening. I know the people that work our polls. If something liked this happened in my area, hell would be paid.

BTW, your linked article is poorly righten. It's unreadapple.

And whats with all the lame links these media websites have? All of them. Really, brittany spears links and kate middletown outfits. pathetic. southpark outta do an episode or two on this topic :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

runrussellrun wrote:
And whats with all the lame links these media websites have? All of them. Really, brittany spears links and kate middletown outfits. pathetic. southpark outta do an episode or two on this topic :D
You realize those lame links are based upon your internet browsing history, right?

:mrgreen:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

North Dakota Voter ID. If you don't have a street address, what do you put on the form? Maybe this nice lady can help Ruth Hopkins. Now there are 70,000 North Dakota citizens in this situation and about half of them are Native American. Assuming Ruth is right, it takes a max of 1 hour to go through the process. Lets say that's 30 min on average. That means it will require the state of North Dakota about 35,000 man hours to service these citizens. It's a shame there are only about 220 working hours before the election. Half of the total number (Native Americans) are located in only a few counties. How many 911 coordinator employees are there in the counties containing these citizens. Just to service the Native Americans in the 220 working hours left, will require 80 employees in these few counties. Somehow I don't see this getting done in time for the election.

Kafkaesque indeed. Can't imagine why people get the idea that Republicans are trying to make voting hard for some classes of voters. :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

dislaxxic wrote:Image
disingenuous on a few levels.

one is that LA county doesnt have 2 senators, but that's not what this says.

second is that it leads the reader to the assumption that space = people. it doesnt.

third is that statehood is meant to be equal in one house, regardless of any of the above.

missmolly failed civics and/or has no real idea what she's talking about. but that's not what happened- someone else drew it up, she failed to investigate, and reposted it. so maybe she's just lazy. fake news is a new thing???
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Point is, those states control 27 electoral college votes. For what I take as Los Angeles county only controls 18 electoral college votes. Gives lie to the one man one vote non-sense. Each individual in those 7 states counts as 1.5 Angelinos.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

There may be a solution to the ND Native American registration problem. The natives will provide the labor as a sovereign nation and supply the state of North Dakota with street addresses for residents and will then self certify. The North Dakota Secretary of State has been made aware of the plan and asked to endorse the plan. No comment has been forthcoming. As many as 20,000 voters are anticipated to make use of this mechanism. No word as to what the other 40,000 non-natives will do.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

jhu72 wrote:Point is, those states control 27 electoral college votes. For what I take as Los Angeles county only controls 18 electoral college votes.
thank goodness
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

jhu72 wrote:Point is, those states control 27 electoral college votes. For what I take as Los Angeles county only controls 18 electoral college votes. Gives lie to the one man one vote non-sense. Each individual in those 7 states counts as 1.5 Angelinos.
it's nonsense because your premise is faulty. you assume it always was and should be one person one vote. it's not.
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.

Return to “POLITICS”