ACC Semi No. 2 -- Syracuse v. UNC

D1 Womens Lacrosse
PhanLax99

Re: ACC Semi No. 2 -- Syracuse v. UNC

Post by PhanLax99 »

Staying in the zone is killing Cuse. UNC is too smart offensively to continue to trot out the same defense every possession. If you look at what Duke and Clemson did the last few games, player to player defense with early slides at least slowed down the UNC offense some. Either way- UNC is bound to break through at some point.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

PhanLax99 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:04 pm Staying in the zone is killing Cuse. UNC is too smart offensively to continue to trot out the same defense every possession. If you look at what Duke and Clemson did the last few games, player to player defense with early slides at least slowed down the UNC offense some. Either way- UNC is bound to break through at some point.
Carney & Ward a combined 3 for 18 wow shooting today
both Tyrell sisters essentially stifled today
they def need to go back and re-set before NCAAs
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Way to go Tar Heels - great team win!
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am Not liking the way these Cuse girls are looking right now, looks to me as if the pressure of the expectations has gotten to them a little bit. Not playing as loose and fast as they were for most of the season, thinking too much. If they can't break out of that mode, UNC beats 'em.
I'll see your jinx and up it to a reverse jinx...UNC 14-9.
I'm sayin' that's pretty close.
Cuse is in real trouble, the funk has got ahold of 'em and I'm seeing it letting go.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:14 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:55 am Not liking the way these Cuse girls are looking right now, looks to me as if the pressure of the expectations has gotten to them a little bit. Not playing as loose and fast as they were for most of the season, thinking too much. If they can't break out of that mode, UNC beats 'em.
Cuse is in real trouble, the funk has got ahold of 'em and I'm seeing it letting go.
If it’s any consolation, people were giving UNC the side-eye after the ECU game & look at them now. Better ACC’s than NCAA’s. And NCAA’s are like a whole new season, records get tossed out & everyone is 0-0.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:09 pm
PhanLax99 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:04 pm Staying in the zone is killing Cuse. UNC is too smart offensively to continue to trot out the same defense every possession. If you look at what Duke and Clemson did the last few games, player to player defense with early slides at least slowed down the UNC offense some. Either way- UNC is bound to break through at some point.
True but for me, the real issues start on D. Teams are figuring the zone out and they are giving away way too many free positions. You can't give away 10 FPs a game and expect to beat anyone.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:20 pm
True but for me, the real issues start on D. Teams are figuring the zone out and they are giving away way too many free positions. You can't give away 10 FPs a game and expect to beat anyone.
This was already mentioned but - a lot of film has been watched. SU showed early how they were going to beat teams with their mediocre D and goalie. NU on the other hand was able to handle their conference without having to show all their cards. Will be interesting to see how and if KT can adjust for post season. Looking forward to seeing how BC deals with UNC second time around.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:21 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:14 pm
If it’s any consolation, people were giving UNC the side-eye after the ECU game & look at them now. Better ACC’s than NCAA’s. And NCAA’s are like a whole new season, records get tossed out & everyone is 0-0.
Yup, am feeling as if Cuse has a little case of the yips and hasn't been able to shake it. Ward's pipe shots are more typically goals. Baxter's shots from where she shot a couple of times have been going in. Carney, she's money on the shots she took today. Some of those shots go in and it's a different game.
Things aren't functioning the way they were and that can be hard to get back.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Can look at this two way if you're Syracuse. On the one hand, you get two weeks to reset. It's hard to take every team's best shot for most of the season, especially when you haven't been put in that position before. After the break off, they'll probably play a team in the NCAA Tournament not as familiar with them, which will probably help. On the other hand, this is the second year it looks like injuries have caught up with them and they aren't finishing a season strong. Maybe they've run out of gas.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

:roll:
jff97 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 pm Can look at this two way if you're Syracuse. On the one hand, you get two weeks to reset. It's hard to take every team's best shot for most of the season, especially when you haven't been put in that position before. After the break off, they'll probably play a team in the NCAA Tournament not as familiar with them, which will probably help. On the other hand, this is the second year it looks like injuries have caught up with them and they aren't finishing a season strong. Maybe they've run out of gas.
The injury to Mashewske really isn’t affecting them Adam son is doing very well at the draw Better than I expected anyway I believe they had the advantage today Chevarie missing is an issue The defense as a whole is a problem Delaney was off today That was a big difference Kt is playing 3-4 freshmen on defense Something I don’t believe gait ever did And their inexperience at this level
Is shining through they will win their first ncaa game But don’t be surprised if that’s about it
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Fischer wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:06 pm :roll:
jff97 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 pm Can look at this two way if you're Syracuse. On the one hand, you get two weeks to reset. It's hard to take every team's best shot for most of the season, especially when you haven't been put in that position before. After the break off, they'll probably play a team in the NCAA Tournament not as familiar with them, which will probably help. On the other hand, this is the second year it looks like injuries have caught up with them and they aren't finishing a season strong. Maybe they've run out of gas.
The injury to Mashewske really isn’t affecting them Adam son is doing very well at the draw Better than I expected anyway I believe they had the advantage today Chevarie missing is an issue The defense as a whole is a problem Delaney was off today That was a big difference Kt is playing 3-4 freshmen on defense Something I don’t believe gait ever did And their inexperience at this level
Is shining through they will win their first ncaa game But don’t be surprised if that’s about it
Was not able to watch but sounds like it was just one of those days. Some time off could be just what they need.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Assuming this drops them to a 2 seed, maybe a 3 depending on some other results. This could make their path much harder. A very realistic path for them

First round: bye
Second Round: Stony Brook
Third Round: Maryland or JMU; maybe Denver
Final Four: UNC or BC
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:26 pm
Assuming this drops them to a 2 seed, maybe a 3 depending on some other results. This could make their path much harder. A very realistic path for them

you dont think they would drop lower than 3?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Madlax59 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:46 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:26 pm

you dont think they would drop lower than 3?
Possibly a 4 or even a 5 seed.

Joe
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:47 pm
This was already mentioned but - a lot of film has been watched. SU showed early how they were going to beat teams with their mediocre D and goalie. NU on the other hand was able to handle their conference without having to show all their cards. Will be interesting to see how and if KT can adjust for post season. Looking forward to seeing how BC deals with UNC second time around.

A lot of film indeed - credit to the other coaches who are preparing their teams. More thoughts...

- ZONE D looks horrific (WIDE OPEN inside to players all alone - many of those defenders are out of their league)
- Goalie is playing average now and not bailing out the defense (which she has been doing all year)
- Players are starting to look selfish on O when things aren't clicking (like the Carney question mark jump shot from the 8M??? - which the other team knew was coming...it's in the scout)
- Baxter and Smith clear through for dodges down the alley were useless (teams have finally paid attention to the scout...Cuse is struggling with it...watch Baxter force it several times on that same dodge).
- An athletic defense like UNC will be able to pressure ball carriers like Ward and send quick doubles to make Cuse struggle.
- Playing against these experienced coaches now (who have had a full season to watch Cuse) and it is showing...but where are Cuse's adjustments???
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

intheknow247 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:13 am
tothedraw wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:47 pm

A lot of film indeed - credit to the other coaches who are preparing their teams. More thoughts...

- ZONE D looks horrific (WIDE OPEN inside to players all alone - many of those defenders are out of their league)
- Goalie is playing average now and not bailing out the defense (which she has been doing all year)
- Players are starting to look selfish on O when things aren't clicking (like the Carney question mark jump shot from the 8M??? - which the other team knew was coming...it's in the scout)
- Baxter and Smith clear through for dodges down the alley were useless (teams have finally paid attention to the scout...Cuse is struggling with it...watch Baxter force it several times on that same dodge).
- An athletic defense like UNC will be able to pressure ball carriers like Ward and send quick doubles to make Cuse struggle.
- Playing against these experienced coaches now (who have had a full season to watch Cuse) and it is showing...but where are Cuse's adjustments???
I’m going to piggyback this Above I mentioned cuse inexperience defense But on the flip side unc whole team is pretty much green So why were they able to complete my destroy cuse? Two reasons imo Yes scout They learned from the last game and cuse doesn’t change anything And levy is just a better coach KT is a good coach and clearly loves her team But these defenders just aren’t good And next year she’s screwed when most of her scorers are gone Again My opinion and bww is a beast defender
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

I'm not sure we can describe UNC's team as green anymore. The kids now have 18 games or so under their belts, with lots of playing time. The freshman are plainly talented and very coachable. And the coaching staff that has plainly told them, "let's have fun and see how far we go" -- together with a good goalie and some very able defenders. I can blame Syracuse's apparent funk and some coaching lapses/inexperience for the loss yesterday. But I am not sure that I would be fair to what Barnes and Levy have done this year.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:30 am I'm not sure we can describe UNC's team as green anymore. The kids now have 18 games or so under their belts, with lots of playing time. The freshman are plainly talented and very coachable. And the coaching staff that has plainly told them, "let's have fun and see how far we go" -- together with a good goalie and some very able defenders. I can blame Syracuse's apparent funk and some coaching lapses/inexperience for the loss yesterday. But I am not sure that I would be fair to what Barnes and Levy have done this year.
I agree. Only time I’d give them the benefit of being called green again would be if they made it to championship weekend, as that’s a completely different environment. Maybe even the quarterfinals. Speaking of, UNC has never made it past the quarterfinal round the year after winning a national championship.
Fischer

Post by Fischer »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:30 am I'm not sure we can describe UNC's team as green anymore. The kids now have 18 games or so under their belts, with lots of playing time. The freshman are plainly talented and very coachable. And the coaching staff that has plainly told them, "let's have fun and see how far we go" -- together with a good goalie and some very able defenders. I can blame Syracuse's apparent funk and some coaching lapses/inexperience for the loss yesterday. But I am not sure that I would be fair to what Barnes and Levy have done this year.
I was referring to as a whole
New team this season
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Syracuse is able to hide their inability to defend 1v1 with their zone. Can you imagine what the Isolation plays would be like if they didn't pack it in with their zone and crash on any dodger. Help would be too far away and it would be smooth sailing to goal for teams like UNC, BC, Northwestern. Cuse zone is susceptible to teams that can really move the ball. It has taken almost an entire season to see the type of ball movement required to beat their zone and most teams can't do it. Unfortunately the teams that can, are the teams you see in the final weekend .

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”