Finster

Re: Syracuse at UVA Saturday 2 pm

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:25 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:17 pm
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:30 am
Gatsby wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:15 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:46 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:28 am carc and cotter on the game. the lacrosse gods are continuing to punish me for something i did in a previous life.
wgdsr you're in Cville correct?

Any updates with weather/game time?

Thanks
The game time will remain at 2 pm. There'll be rain before, probably during, and thunderstorms after.
Thanks

Hearing/reading different things

We are on the way from DC, 45 minutes away now. UVA Twitter says 2 pm.

Got rain gear and umbrellas. Man, I can’t wait to see Cuse. I’ve already seen UVA three times in person this year, so I know them okay. This weather can be a neutralizer. Let’s see.
get ready for at least 10-15 minutes of crazy soon on the road.

This rain is insane. Coming in sideways. Freaking sheets of it. I don’t recall ever playing in anything like this. Lol.

(I assume it won’t be this bad at 2 pm)
Finster

Post by Finster »

stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:36 pm Mark is at the neutralizer, best goalie in college game

Normally I agree but UVA’s Dixon is a goalie killer. Just a ruthlessly effective shooter.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:41 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:36 pm Mark is at the neutralizer, best goalie in college game

Normally I agree but UVA’s Dixon is a goalie killer. Just a ruthlessly effective shooter.

Dickson. Hopefully Kyle Dixon isn’t suiting up. Though maybe at his age SU could slow him down.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:07 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:41 pm

Dickson. Hopefully Kyle Dixon isn’t suiting up. Though maybe at his age SU could slow him down.

Lol. Thank you. My bad. The kid is incredibly smart with his shot placement.

The rain has abated. For now.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Man that last one was pretty. Virginia O is such a pleasure to watch (except when playing Duke).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

syracuse has memorial day and mcla level passing abilities. sometimes in this game on the same possession. also looks like Tiffany has spent the game a good 3-5 yards onto the field.
Last edited by jhu06 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:57 pm syracuse has memorial day and mcla level passing abilities. sometimes in this game on the same possession. also looks like Tillman has spent the game a good 3-5 yards onto the field.
i doubt you've watched one mcla game. tillman coaches maryland.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

sorry tiffany. and yes i've seen some in person.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:26 pm sorry tiffany. and yes i've seen some in person.
which teams?
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Surprised that Shellenberger's SOG is 71%; seems like he's missed the cage all year. There's a lot of upside for the Hoos when he starts scoring.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Alex Simmons with the completely insane goal.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

Driving home. A few random thoughts from the passenger seat. A bit long if you’re not interested.

It’s always fun to see friends. Cuse travels well, but I have to admit, so do UVA’s parents. Nice crowd for an iffy forecast. There were tons of nearby track and field events from multiple schools. A real festive atmosphere.

Syracuse and UVA are simply different quality teams at this stage of development. Cuse simply doesn’t have a ton of juniors/seniors contributing, whereas UVA does. I’m happy to be corrected, but frankly this game was never in doubt, even as our face off unit held Lasalla even the first half.

For Cuse, in person, I see how the future looks good. Interestingly the freshman I like the most from today is Michael Leo, another in an endless line of St Anthony lacrosse players. He’s got a killer instinct. UVA’s defense came to play against Spallina and Thomson; those two were quiet for the most part. But among the three of them, the future is great.

Syracuse’s three best players imo are transfers: Mark, Kirst, and Simmons. All three stepped up today on the big stage. You can see they aren’t afraid to get at it.

It will blow my mind if Petro isn’t picked up to be a HC next year somewhere. The defense loves the guy. In pregame drills, he looks like he’s having fun, for the first time in forever. He has the look of someone who knows he’s got an offer or two after this year. So far as our defense, the truth is UVA is just damn good and deep. You can’t fault any squad giving up 19. If Mark didn’t stuff a few, the score would have been way closer to 25, which is what it felt like.

For UVA, I get why Shellenberger gets the headlines, but how is Dickson also not first team All America?! Third game I’ve seen him. He’s as scary as it comes. His shot selection is rarely incorrect. He was the one UVA shooter who knows where to aim. This kid imo is First Team.

Every coach would love to have a kid with Jeff Conners speed. Schutz impresses, then disappears. McConvey is superb. Sunderland had a nifty goal. Zinn is great for clears but man, his shots are atrocious.

UVA’s defense played heady all day. Great slides. Great communication. They were constantly at midfield poking loose balls back to their offense. Their length and range are bad equations for Spallina and Thomson.

What’s unknown to us is how good the UVA redshirt freshmen are. Syracuse is playing their young guns; UVA plays only Sunderland. This contest ought to be much tighter in the years ahead.

I really don’t know how this team has lost three games. The four teams that are above the others imo are UVA, ND, Duke, and Maryland. No offense to some other good ones like Cornell, Marquette, Penn State, Villanova, and Jacksonville.

Fun game. So happy the rain stayed away for the most part. Onward to next weekend, again at Klockner! The Notre Dame rematch.
molo

Post by molo »

Planned to go but lousy weather, especially with the threat of a delay, will keep me here. Last time I had a Bud Light was by mistake. I’ll open with a Guinness blonde to stay true to both my roots and hometown tonight.
Logic says Maryland by about 4, and I’ve been a Terps believer since there righted the ship. Prediction: Hopkins 14-11.
Finster

Post by Finster »

In my long write up, I neglected to point out one Syracuse player who I think is exceptional and plays with enthusiasm:

Saam Olexo

That guy gets more ground balls in one game than most players do in four. Superb ball awareness.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:21 pm Planned to go but lousy weather, especially with the threat of a delay, will keep me here. Last time I had a Bud Light was by mistake. I’ll open with a Guinness blonde to stay true to both my roots and hometown tonight.
Logic says Maryland by about 4, and I’ve been a Terps believer since there righted the ship. Prediction: Hopkins 14-11.

You are drinking early. Your post is supposed to be on the Hop Maryland game thread, not here. Lol.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

If not for Mark, VA scores at least 25. He faced one wide open shot after another from eight feet in . smh

Richiusa held his own against LaSalla
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:01 pm Driving home. A few random thoughts from the passenger seat. A bit long if you’re not interested.

It’s always fun to see friends. Cuse travels well, but I have to admit, so do UVA’s parents. Nice crowd for an iffy forecast. There were tons of nearby track and field events from multiple schools. A real festive atmosphere.

Syracuse and UVA are simply different quality teams at this stage of development. Cuse simply doesn’t have a ton of juniors/seniors contributing, whereas UVA does. I’m happy to be corrected, but frankly this game was never in doubt, even as our face off unit held Lasalla even the first half.

For Cuse, in person, I see how the future looks good. Interestingly the freshman I like the most from today is Michael Leo, another in an endless line of St Anthony lacrosse players. He’s got a killer instinct. UVA’s defense came to play against Spallina and Thomson; those two were quiet for the most part. But among the three of them, the future is great.

Syracuse’s three best players imo are transfers: Mark, Kirst, and Simmons. All three stepped up today on the big stage. You can see they aren’t afraid to get at it.

It will blow my mind if Petro isn’t picked up to be a HC next year somewhere. The defense loves the guy. In pregame drills, he looks like he’s having fun, for the first time in forever. He has the look of someone who knows he’s got an offer or two after this year. So far as our defense, the truth is UVA is just damn good and deep. You can’t fault any squad giving up 19. If Mark didn’t stuff a few, the score would have been way closer to 25, which is what it felt like.

For UVA, I get why Shellenberger gets the headlines, but how is Dickson also not first team All America?! Third game I’ve seen him. He’s as scary as it comes. His shot selection is rarely incorrect. He was the one UVA shooter who knows where to aim. This kid imo is First Team.

Every coach would love to have a kid with Jeff Conners speed. Schutz impresses, then disappears. McConvey is superb. Sunderland had a nifty goal. Zinn is great for clears but man, his shots are atrocious.

UVA’s defense played heady all day. Great slides. Great communication. They were constantly at midfield poking loose balls back to their offense. Their length and range are bad equations for Spallina and Thomson.

What’s unknown to us is how good the UVA redshirt freshmen are. Syracuse is playing their young guns; UVA plays only Sunderland. This contest ought to be much tighter in the years ahead.

I really don’t know how this team has lost three games. The four teams that are above the others imo are UVA, ND, Duke, and Maryland. No offense to some other good ones like Cornell, Marquette, Penn State, Villanova, and Jacksonville.

Fun game. So happy the rain stayed away for the most part. Onward to next weekend, again at Klockner! The Notre Dame rematch.
Maybe UNC will pick up Petro ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Finster wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:01 pm Driving home. A few random thoughts from the passenger seat. A bit long if you’re not interested.

Not saying he would not jump on a top-tier opportunity, but how many guys you know get a promotion, then quietly admit that they enjoyed their job a whole lot more before they were promoted?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
molo

Post by molo »

You’re right. Post was on the wrong thread and not even close.
UVA-Cuse result was not too surprising. Cuse has some promising offensive players, but UVA is at another level this year, at least against all but a couple of teams.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”