Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HooDat

Re: Duke at UVA Friday March 31 5 pm

Post by HooDat »

Laxbuck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:51 am Duke D>>>ND D
Over the course of the season, I think we will find that Duke is just plain all around a better team than ND
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Finster

Post by Finster »

HooDat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:26 pm
Laxbuck wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:51 am Duke D>>>ND D
Over the course of the season, I think we will find that Duke is just plain all around a better team than ND

This Friday will tell a lot, even if, like ND, Duke loses
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

I can’t believe it’s been twenty years and 15 straight regular season game - so many great Virginia teams in that time, including three national championship teams (and of course the undefeated fourth one never playing Duke).

This is the year it ends. And like against ND, I believe it will be a comfortable win. Mikey Adler beat UVa last year with his 20 saves. All of the other important stats except ground balls (shots, SOG, TO, etc) were in UVa’s favor. LaSalla won 60% of FOs against Naso last year, and is playing about as well this year. You give UVa that advantage again, no way they lose. No way Shellenberger goes 0-7 again either.

UVa is about the same team as last year, slightly better in terms of personnel (lose Moore, pick up McConvey and Miezan), one year more experienced, and healthier. Unless Helm stands on his head, UVa wins this one going away.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Finster wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:56 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 pm Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
he showed up in the terp game, too. is there a goalie that doesn't have games in the 40s? nunes actually just has 3 this year. and one of those was @ .455, not 40. and that one was 15-3 after a little over a quarter. the others were a 4-5 goal game and a 5-7 goal game in their favor. not exactly relevant.

McNaney (preseason 2nd team AA) was .294 against Loyola.
Clearly that’s y Loyola won the game. He wasn’t right.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:16 pm I can’t believe it’s been twenty years and 15 straight regular season game - so many great Virginia teams in that time, including three national championship teams (and of course the undefeated fourth one never playing Duke).

This is the year it ends. And like against ND, I believe it will be a comfortable win. Mikey Adler beat UVa last year with his 20 saves. All of the other important stats except ground balls (shots, SOG, TO, etc) were in UVa’s favor. LaSalla won 60% of FOs against Naso last year, and is playing about as well this year. You give UVa that advantage again, no way they lose. No way Shellenberger goes 0-7 again either.

UVa is about the same team as last year, slightly better in terms of personnel (lose Moore, pick up McConvey and Miezan), one year more experienced, and healthier. Unless Helm stands on his head, UVa wins this one going away.
Virginia, when healthy, is actually clearly better on offense than last year even without Moore. The ball movement is far better. I think the dominance of the Maryland team from last year spurred the Virginia staff to make changes and improvements. They have clearly stated multiple times that the Maryland team raised the bar. No idea what that means for Friday but means a lot for the season.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:14 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:16 pm I can’t believe it’s been twenty years and 15 straight regular season game - so many great Virginia teams in that time, including three national championship teams (and of course the undefeated fourth one never playing Duke).

Virginia, when healthy, is actually clearly better on offense than last year even without Moore. The ball movement is far better. I think the dominance of the Maryland team from last year spurred the Virginia staff to make changes and improvements. They have clearly stated multiple times that the Maryland team raised the bar. No idea what that means for Friday but means a lot for the season.
Yes… my point was actually that UVa being a little bit better from a personnel standpoint should be more than enough to beat Duke, because their goalie was heroic in last year’s game.

Regarding Lars saying Maryland raised the bar… have the UVa fans on the board noticed significant tactical differences in UVa’s offensive play this year? Or is the higher scoring and higher assist ratio a function of having a healthier line-up and an extra option in Miezan, and even more familiarity from most of the offensive players from being together an extra year (i.e. Shellenberger/Cormier/Dickson/Connor)? The way Lars talks about it, he makes it sound similar to what Tillman did back in 2020 when he completely changed the offense (which is why the Terps were able to raise the bar - it was a fundamental change to their offense, regardless of who the players were).
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:09 pm Last yr 17-6 Duke. 17-12 In faceoffs-Va. Naso had 12 gbs 39-30 Duke in gbs. Va rarely loses the gb game. Nunes did play well in SouthBend week. I’m a little hard on him because he has more than a few games at 40% sv avg. Last week he was at 58%, so good for him ! He showed up big time.
he showed up in the terp game, too. is there a goalie that doesn't have games in the 40s? nunes actually just has 3 this year. and one of those was @ .455, not 40. and that one was 15-3 after a little over a quarter. the others were a 4-5 goal game and a 5-7 goal game in their favor. not exactly relevant.
You think he played well vs Maryland? He was not seeing it vs the Terps. Va is a top3 team. If there are some flaws, inconsistency in the cage is one of them. Let’s see how he does this weekend vs ONeil & Co. i would just like to see him a little tighter on shots from 12 & out. He played well vs ND ! Can he follow that up vs Duke?
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

UVA d gets much hype for their size/height but find that collective group and its individual components to be somewhat ordinary in games when there are negative differentials in possessions as they tend to wither some when UVA not controlling tempo . Nunes has abilities but can be up and down just as many other goalies are ,not sure yet where Helm lies in goalie hierarchy but big test as UVA offense is superb and able to post numbers in spurts.
Naso -LaSalla matchup factors heavily. Give slight edge to UVA being home but Duke has substance with strengths that are more dispersed this year.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 pm
blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:14 pm

Yes… my point was actually that UVa being a little bit better from a personnel standpoint should be more than enough to beat Duke, because their goalie was heroic in last year’s game.

Regarding Lars saying Maryland raised the bar… have the UVa fans on the board noticed significant tactical differences in UVa’s offensive play this year? Or is the higher scoring and higher assist ratio a function of having a healthier line-up and an extra option in Miezan, and even more familiarity from most of the offensive players from being together an extra year (i.e. Shellenberger/Cormier/Dickson/Connor)? The way Lars talks about it, he makes it sound similar to what Tillman did back in 2020 when he completely changed the offense (which is why the Terps were able to raise the bar - it was a fundamental change to their offense, regardless of who the players were).
Yes, and I Think it's a combination of those things. Last year, Virginia had a lot of key injuries throughout the lineup which prevented them from reaching their peak. They are reasonably healthy so far, have a lot of experience, and they borrowed some of Tillman's successful concepts used against them. Copying is the highest form of flattery. Miezan has only played a little, although his productivity should result in increased time. McConvey is the new piece having an AA type year. He was probably never shorted at Vermont, but has seen a lot of time against shorts so far with Virginia's other weapons on the field. Shellenberger and Dixon can have relatively quiet games and Virginia can still put up enough goals to win most games.
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t know how specific the copying of Maryland is or if the comments just reflect a more general admiration for what Tillman has accomplished at Maryland. This year’s UVA team moves the ball more effectively and effectively than last year’s for several reasons. Last year’s number two ball handler, whose assists came largely from dodge and dish situations, played hurt much of the year. If he was covered effectively for a half or quarter, he, to BJs credit as a competitor, tended to engage in one on one battles with his defenseman as the game went on. He often won these battles, getting his points, but at times the ball died in his stick. Shellenberger, the other qb in the alleged two qb system, is a facility who moves the ball well while capable of scoring one on one. This year’s second initiator, McConvey, provides something they didn’t have last year. He’s a big lefty middie who trails only Shellenberger in assists. The two off ball finishers, Dickson the righty and Cormier the lefty, are better this year because they are an older and more experienced and because the ball is moving faster.
While Schutz had his moments last year, he is drawing a pole more frequently this year, providing more opportunities for McConvey against shorts. Schutz gets his share of goals by just being too big and strong for his man.
A final difference is the addition of Miezan. While Maryland has chosen to use their football player at ssdm, where he should be a first team AA, UVA has kept their transfer football captain on the offensive end, where he is contributing more than a point a game as a second middie on a team that relies pretty heavily on its first midfield.
I’d say the primary similarity between this year’s UVA team and Maryland’s NC team is ball movement on the offensive end. As good as are Duke and ND, I think the winner of the next Maryland-Virginia game will be this year’s NC.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:24 am I don’t know how specific the copying of Maryland is or if the comments just reflect a more general admiration for what Tillman has accomplished at Maryland. This year’s UVA team moves the ball more effectively and effectively than last year’s for several reasons. Last year’s number two ball handler, whose assists came largely from dodge and dish situations, played hurt much of the year. If he was covered effectively for a half or quarter, he, to BJs credit as a competitor, tended to engage in one on one battles with his defenseman as the game went on. He often won these battles, getting his points, but at times the ball died in his stick. Shellenberger, the other qb in the alleged two qb system, is a facility who moves the ball well while capable of scoring one on one. This year’s second initiator, McConvey, provides something they didn’t have last year. He’s a big lefty middie who trails only Shellenberger in assists. The two off ball finishers, Dickson the righty and Cormier the lefty, are better this year because they are an older and more experienced and because the ball is moving faster.
While Schutz had his moments last year, he is drawing a pole more frequently this year, providing more opportunities for McConvey against shorts. Schutz gets his share of goals by just being too big and strong for his man.
A final difference is the addition of Miezan. While Maryland has chosen to use their football player at ssdm, where he should be a first team AA, UVA has kept their transfer football captain on the offensive end, where he is contributing more than a point a game as a second middie on a team that relies pretty heavily on its first midfield.
I’d say the primary similarity between this year’s UVA team and Maryland’s NC team is ball movement on the offensive end. As good as are Duke and ND, I think the winner of the next Maryland-Virginia game will be this year’s NC.
Virginia certainly hasn’t duplicated the Maryland offense but Lars has specifically commented about utilising Maryland’s very effective use of drifts in their passing game. That wasn’t created by Maryland, just very effectively used in their offense
Finster

Post by Finster »

blue angels wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:56 pm
molo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:24 am I don’t know how specific the copying of Maryland is or if the comments just reflect a more general admiration for what Tillman has accomplished at Maryland. This year’s UVA team moves the ball more effectively and effectively than last year’s for several reasons. Last year’s number two ball handler, whose assists came largely from dodge and dish situations, played hurt much of the year. If he was covered effectively for a half or quarter, he, to BJs credit as a competitor, tended to engage in one on one battles with his defenseman as the game went on. He often won these battles, getting his points, but at times the ball died in his stick. Shellenberger, the other qb in the alleged two qb system, is a facility who moves the ball well while capable of scoring one on one. This year’s second initiator, McConvey, provides something they didn’t have last year. He’s a big lefty middie who trails only Shellenberger in assists. The two off ball finishers, Dickson the righty and Cormier the lefty, are better this year because they are an older and more experienced and because the ball is moving faster.
Virginia certainly hasn’t duplicated the Maryland offense but Lars has specifically commented about utilising Maryland’s very effective use of drifts in their passing game. That wasn’t created by Maryland, just very effectively used in their offense

Virginia has two of the highest lacrosse IQ players ever on this year’s attack, Shellenberger and Dickson (who also have incredible individual skills too). I’d equate that combination to Spencer and Lindley when they played at Loyola, one huge difference being the rest of the surrounding cast.

Shellenberger and Dickson elevate everyone around them. Schutz (no speed, mostly bull dodging which is neutralized by a big defender, needs accurate feeders desperately) certainly would not have his numbers without those two. McConvey would get his (fast, can dodge, great shot), just not as much. And Cormier would be just another body on most teams (no speed, no dodging ability). No knock to those others, it’s just true.

Having Shellenberger and Dickson on one unit is a ridiculously fortuitous event for the rest of Virginia but not good for opponents.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Finster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:22 pm

Virginia has two of the highest lacrosse IQ players ever on this year’s attack, Shellenberger and Dickson (who also have incredible individual skills too). I’d equate that combination to Spencer and Lindley when they played at Loyola, one huge difference being the rest of the surrounding cast.

Shellenberger and Dickson elevate everyone around them. Schutz (no speed, mostly bull dodging which is neutralized by a big defender, needs accurate feeders desperately) certainly would not have his numbers without those two. McConvey would get his (fast, can dodge, great shot), just not as much. And Cormier would be just another body on most teams (no speed, no dodging ability). No knock to those others, it’s just true.

Having Shellenberger and Dickson on one unit is a ridiculously fortuitous event for the rest of Virginia but not good for opponents.
sounds pretty close other than schutz getting a ton of his goals on the dodge, an assist per game, drawing a pole and similar #s as a freshie when dickson wasn't at attack. and mcconvey scoring the same almost 4 points per game over the previous 3 seasons on an entirely different team, drawing a pole and maybe leading the nc$$ in goals all from the midfield. and cormier scoring over 3 pts per game as a 1st time middie when shellenberger and dickson were redshirting, then getting 95 and 18 over 2 seasons when dickson wasn't starring at attack, and he and shellenberger were alternating mid and att one of those years.

everything else sounds about right. no knock on them, though.
viho

Post by viho »

stupefied wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am UVA d gets much hype for their size/height but find that collective group and its individual components to be somewhat ordinary in games when there are negative differentials in possessions as they tend to wither some when UVA not controlling tempo . Nunes has abilities but can be up and down just as many other goalies are ,not sure yet where Helm lies in goalie hierarchy but big test as UVA offense is superb and able to post numbers in spurts.
Naso -LaSalla matchup factors heavily. Give slight edge to UVA being home but Duke has substance with strengths that are more dispersed this year.
UVA d guys kryptonite are quicker change of direction attackmen (I.e. erksa). The lower center of gravity of makar and zapitello make them better. Length can hide a lot of flaws.

Anybody remember the media segment from last year about the engineering student that developed lacrosse analytics for Tillman? It was impressive. I know it caught UVA’s attention.

Homegrown at “the” UMD. :ugeek:
viho

Post by viho »

stupefied wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am UVA d gets much hype for their size/height but find that collective group and its individual components to be somewhat ordinary in games when there are negative differentials in possessions as they tend to wither some when UVA not controlling tempo . Nunes has abilities but can be up and down just as many other goalies are ,not sure yet where Helm lies in goalie hierarchy but big test as UVA offense is superb and able to post numbers in spurts.
UVA d guys kryptonite are quicker change of direction attackmen (I.e. erksa). The lower center of gravity of makar and zapitello make them better. Length can hide a lot of flaws.

Anybody remember the media segment from last year about the engineering student that developed lacrosse analytics for Tillman? It was impressive. I know it caught UVA’s attention.

Homegrown at “the” UMD. :ugeek:
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:43 pm
Finster wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:22 pm

sounds pretty close other than schutz getting a ton of his goals on the dodge, an assist per game, drawing a pole and similar #s as a freshie when dickson wasn't at attack. and mcconvey scoring the same almost 4 points per game over the previous 3 seasons on an entirely different team, drawing a pole and maybe leading the nc$$ in goals all from the midfield. and cormier scoring over 3 pts per game as a 1st time middie when shellenberger and dickson were redshirting, then getting 95 and 18 over 2 seasons when dickson wasn't starring at attack, and he and shellenberger were alternating mid and att one of those years.

everything else sounds about right. no knock on them, though.

As I said, McConvey would ‘get his’, but I’m certain his efficiency in the ACC without Shellenberger and Dickson would be far less impressive than the America East.

We’re gonna disagree on Schutz. I don’t see it. The dodges I see him utilize are mostly trying to run through a smaller defense. Hey, it can work. He’s just not ‘slick’ in that category, the solution is obvious.

Cormier: c’mon. Great release, great awareness, but noticeably slow.

All great players but made much greater by Shellenberger and Dickson.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Defensively for Duke, what it comes down to is can Duke navigate the 2 Man pick game at X? If you can get through the picks, you can effectively take away the crease.

Zappitello was unbelievable at it, but the SSDM's for UMD were very good at making contact on Schellenberger and giving Zappitello time to maneuver under the pick. It bottled up Cormier and Dickson and forced Schellenberger to kick it up to the Middies.

ND did not do that. Fake got caught up in the picks a couple of times and Schellenberger turned the corner for goals. Then ND started sliding early from the crease and leaving Dickson open on the high crease.

I don't think Boyer or Brower will erase Schellenberger, but if they can effectively hold him to 4-5 points, you have a shot.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

and yet 7 seasons (or 5++) between the 3 of them that completely refute your thesis as they've done it all before! no knock on them, tho! you're certain!

suffice it to say the offense has scored enough to win most games. but not invincible, obviously.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

stupefied wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:14 am UVA d gets much hype for their size/height but find that collective group and its individual components to be somewhat ordinary in games when there are negative differentials in possessions as they tend to wither some when UVA not controlling tempo .
As a fan of defense (my oldest kid has played LSM or close for over a decade now), UVA's longpoles sometimes end up ball watching way too much. They are long and rangy, and on ball they're vicious, but they get caught time and time again off-ball. It kills me, because in the end, that's just sloppy.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

What’s really impressed me with Cormier is his ability to find the soft spot in the defense, and know exactly when to drift in to it to receive service and score. If his defender falls asleep for even a second he’s releasing and shooting. That’s a skill in and of itself.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”