#8 Cassidy Spilis
#7 Danielle Pavinelli
#6 Ellie Masera
#5 Belle Smith
#4 Caitlyn Wurzburger
#3 Emily Sterling
#2 Izzy Scane
#1 Meaghan Tyrell
Absurd some of these names and how they are ranked. No way should Wurzburger be ranked higher than Smith. And Pavinelli?
Lax101

Re: Tewaaraton 5 too soon list ?

Post by Lax101 »

I'll go a step further. Don't see how CW is even on the list. She has had an ok career thus far. Not even top 5 player in the ACC and Medjid and Humphries had better years last year.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:24 pm I'll go a step further. Don't see how CW is even on the list. She has had an ok career thus far. Not even top 5 player in the ACC and Medjid and Humphries had better years last year.
Agree ! and Medjid for sure belongs there!!
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:24 pm I'll go a step further. Don't see how CW is even on the list. She has had an ok career thus far. Not even top 5 player in the ACC and Medjid and Humphries had better years last year.
Tewey Top 5:
All attackers
Scane
Medgid
Tyrell
Cokendall (sp)
Peterson
njbill

Post by njbill »

I wouldn't waste time on the other four. The winner is clear and obvious.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

njbill wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:53 am I wouldn't waste time on the other four. The winner is clear and obvious.
It must have physically pained the committee not to add someone from Maryland
Bart

Post by Bart »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:39 am
Tewey Top 5:
All attackers
Scane
Medgid
Tyrell
Cokendall (sp)
Peterson
Spending significant time playing defense is optional yet again................
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Bart wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:05 pm
Tewey Top 5:
All attackers
Scane
Medgid
Tyrell
Cokendall (sp)
Peterson

All top players, but I would have make some other choices. to be honest, I don't even think Peterson, Medjid are the best players on their team; Coykendall clearly isn't, (in fact, I would probably put her as 4th best player on NW)

How I would have picked them

Scane -- Obvious
Tyrell -- Obvious
Smith -- watch BC in crunch time on both sides of the ball; she runs the show on both sides
Dunkirk --she and McPherson are best two defenders I've seen in a long time
McPherson -- probably the biggest reason DU is undefeated

Honorable mention: Sammy White from NW; incredibly in transition and probably the best circle player in the country. 53 DCs without ever taking a draw is just next level.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Unless the Tewaaraton committee breaks with precedent, the only real question with Scane's candidacy relates to how far Northwestern goes in the tournament. Of the 21 recipients in the history of the award here is how the winner's team has fared:
* 14 national champions
* 5 runners up
* 2 lost in the semis
If NU loses in the semis, would she still win? Part of that answer depends on how far the teams of the other contenders go and how those contenders perform in the tournament.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think it sends a bad message to have no defenders and no middies especially when there are some very good ones out there, and knowing a few of the final 5 have zero chance of winning. I can pick a group of 5 D1 players that are strong on the defensive end and have solid offensive skills that would beat this group. This is a very good attack group but some of these players barely ride in transition.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:36 pm I think it sends a bad message to have no defenders and no middies especially when there are some very good ones out there, and knowing a few of the final 5 have zero chance of winning. I can pick a group of 5 D1 players that are strong on the defensive end and have solid offensive skills that would beat this group. This is a very good attack group but some of these players barely ride in transition.
Barely ride INDEED - 2 come to mind for how BAD they ride...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 11:53 am I wouldn't waste time on the other four. The winner is clear and obvious.
true dat
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:34 pm
Bart wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:05 pm
Tewey Top 5:
All attackers
Scane
Medgid
Tyrell
Cokendall (sp)
Peterson

All top players, but I would have make some other choices. to be honest, I don't even think Peterson, Medjid are the best players on their team; Coykendall clearly isn't, (in fact, I would probably put her as 4th best player on NW)

How I would have picked them

Scane -- Obvious
Tyrell -- Obvious
Smith -- watch BC in crunch time on both sides of the ball; she runs the show on both sides
Dunkirk --she and McPherson are best two defenders I've seen in a long time
McPherson -- probably the biggest reason DU is undefeated

Honorable mention: Sammy White from NW; incredibly in transition and probably the best circle player in the country. 53 DCs without ever taking a draw is just next level.
Assuming you are referring above Maitre Durkin from JMU and Trinity McPherson from Denver, I don’t think you can have a defender who plays 100 percent zone defense be called the best defender in the country. How do you know? Bc they have lots of cts? Bc they clear the ball well? But they never have to cover scane or Tyrell or north one on one….which is what defenders like Emma trenchard or Sydney scales or Emily nalls have to do over and over again.

I’m not saying durkin and McPherson aren’t good defenders. But they only play zone defense. That’s not enough to be called “the best two defenders I’ve seen in a long time”.
You just don’t know whether they are strong cover defenders. And neither do I….
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

I should probably say that I don’t like the increasing numbers of teams that rely on zone defense in womens lacrosse. Because of the interplay of shooting space and the three second rule, I think zone kills the womens game far more so than it does the mens. It makes an exciting game (womens lac) slow and boring.
I’m not a Tar Heel fan btw….but I absolutely love the fact that they play straight up man year after year….

So I have a bias against zone defense…but also stand by my comments that defenders who play for teams that are 100 percent zone defenses are hard to judge on their individual defensive skills outside of that system…..
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Completely agree. Playing defense or middie at Cuse or Stony Brook is a lot different than doing the same at UNC or BC. Case in point was Cuse trying to play man defense last year and struggling. Takes a different type of player to some extent. Teams will find the weak link in a man defense.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Gotta chime in on this ... 1:1 or zone, defense is always a team effort. Both are all about communication and timing. When to send a double, how to recover weak side, when to pressure out, how to force shots you know your goalie can save. In the case of a zone, the backer or the rover is often not only one of the best athletes on the field but must also possess an outstanding lax IQ.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:58 am Gotta chime in on this ... 1:1 or zone, defense is always a team effort. Both are all about communication and timing. When to send a double, how to recover weak side, when to pressure out, how to force shots you know your goalie can save. In the case of a zone, the backer or the rover is often not only one of the best athletes on the field but must also possess an outstanding lax IQ.
Absolutely agree on the latter. Will disagree on former. The backer is a key part of the zone. But might be worst cover defender on the field. Skill sets aren’t completely overlapping. In any event, it’s academic. 5 tewy nominees are attackers.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:58 am Gotta chime in on this ... 1:1 or zone, defense is always a team effort. Both are all about communication and timing. When to send a double, how to recover weak side, when to pressure out, how to force shots you know your goalie can save. In the case of a zone, the backer or the rover is often not only one of the best athletes on the field but must also possess an outstanding lax IQ.
Agreed. Also, just because a defense plays zone, doesn't mean they don't have to play 1v1 at times.

Many teams practice both and should have both in their arsenal. Sometimes the decision to play zone versus man has more to do with the opponent than the team's ability.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Cuse had an AA backer for years who was not an exceptional man defender and would not have been as highly regarded in a BC or UNC man defense. She was long and lanky and distruptive in the Cuse zone. Man and zone defense both require great coordination and communication but the simple fact is that if JMU or Denver played man defense and communicated just as well they would give up twice as many goals. To some extent 1v1's are unavoidable in a man defense. Speed and athleticism are just more important.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”