Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:59 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:51 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:45 pm Do you consider it unpatriotic to wear MAGA gear ?
Nope. In America? We wear what we want. It's the 1st amendment for a reason.

Stand for the flag on the national anthem, as I do? Patriotic.

Don't stand for the flag and the national anthem because you're unhappy with our government? Patriotic.

You didn't answer my question: what does the US Flag Represent?
It represents many things to different people.
When I see it, I think of all those who sacrificed & gave their lives in service to it.
That's who I think about when standing for the national anthem,
so I guess that's what it represents to me.
Certainly that's what many think of when seeing that flag, perfectly reasonable IMO.

But it's the flag of the United States of America, our federal union, our Constitutionally based rule of law not men, democratic republic.

It represents all of us who are citizens as well as our ancestors who worked to make this country what it is today. Including those died in service...and those who lived in service.

So, at least to me, the proper understanding is nearly sacred...but it is shocking to me that what should be sacred as been so shamefully sullied by those who claim to be patriotic, wrapping themselves in the flag, but who so clearly hate, dislike, distrust our very form of government and those who work in service today.

disgusting.
And I agree with those saying it's become difficult to fly the flag with the same confidence that we won't be misunderstood as MAGA. Which is a shame.

BTW, I'm perfectly fine as well with those who utilize the flag or anthem or other symbolism to express their protest against the current realities in which our country still does not live up to its ideals. Protesting and working for a 'more perfect union' is indeed patriotic as well...but not via violence or hate.

Yes, Cradle, those who carried the Blue Lives Matter flags during the insurrection contributed to as unpatriotic an act as one can imagine, beating on policemen defending democracy, that which the Stars and Stripes actually represents, in an effort to overturn a legitimate election in favor of installing a corrupt tyrant. Any question as to where those insurrectionists true loyalties lie became obvious. And it wasn't to "blue lives".

It's this immense hypocrisy that I'm addressing.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kiwi girl learns about the flag.
Story told verbatim as it actually happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gKSjnSnvc&t=4s

Florida 22-20
Stanford leads 2-1 in best of five series.
Girls are crazy good.

Gators tie it up, 2 sets apiece.
Last edited by DMac on Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Do you guys rercall the Capt America motorcycle helmet that Peter Fonda wore in Easy Rider ?
https://hotcorn.com/en/movies/news/cool ... er-helmet/

When it came out (1969), it was somewhat unique in that the stars & stripes was not frequently used in clothing or other fashion or art.
...but I thought that helmet was just too cool to resist, so I bought one for my June 1970 graduation basket leave 30 day tour of W Europe on my BSA 650 Thunderbolt, which I picked up in London, rode all over W Europe (which was all we could visit back then), then from JFK airport where I picked it up & rode back to Bmore then across the USA to StL. That vintage BSA had decal logos on the side panels featuring crossed Union Jack & Stars & Stripes flags. The reaction I got both in the US & Europe, especially on the road, was remarkable & quite good natured/supportive. Now, it would not be noticed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

...and yet less than 1% of the young people in this country serve in any branch.
So many great experiences, so many different places, meet so many different
kinds of people. Great stuff.

Florida up 8-7.
Lotta pressure here.

Stanford wins it 15-10.
Takes the series 3-2.
Last game played to 15,
the others to 25. ??
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm Kiwi girl learns about the flag.
Story told verbatim as it actually happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1gKSjnSnvc&t=4s

Florida 22-20
Stanford leads 2-1 in best of five series.
Girls are crazy good.

Gators tie it up, 2 sets apiece.
Sad that the narrator didn’t know enough to challenge the writer. The Star Spangled Banner was written during the War of 1812. We weren’t a British colony at the time. That “minor” detail, said at least three times in the video’s first few minutes, led me to turn it off.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You mean you're thinking that Francis didn't really report to the boys locked up below decks that it's still there?
You missed a lot of remarkable stuff. Kiwi girl's all in though, loves that flag and the story. Knows a lot about it
now. You should watch it, it's quite a story.
DMac

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:19 pm Do you guys rercall the Capt America motorcycle helmet that Peter Fonda wore in Easy Rider ?

When it came out (1969), it was somewhat unique in that the stars & stripes was not frequently used in clothing or other fashion or art.
...but I thought that helmet was just too cool to resist, so I bought one for my June 1970 graduation basket leave 30 day tour of W Europe on my BSA 650 Thunderbolt, which I picked up in London, rode all over W Europe (which was all we could visit back then), then from JFK airport where I picked it up & rode back to Bmore then across the USA to StL. That vintage BSA had decal logos on the side panels featuring crossed Union Jack & Stars & Stripes flags. The reaction I got both in the US & Europe, especially on the road, was remarkable & quite good natured/supportive. Now, it would not be noticed.
Let me guess, your chopper looked like this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:33 pm You mean you're thinking that Francis didn't really report to the boys locked up below decks that it's still there?
You missed a lot of remarkable stuff. Kiwi girl's all in though, loves that flag and the story. Knows a lot about it
now. You should watch it, it's quite a story.
"quite a story" :D ;)
Too bad so much of it is fiction.

The truth is just fine without the nonsense.
old salt

Post by old salt »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:47 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:19 pm Do you guys rercall the Capt America motorcycle helmet that Peter Fonda wore in Easy Rider ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194708819366

I flew the predecessor to that -- the SH-2F

We had some pretty good original art. On the H-2, every detachment would paint their det patch on the detachable side panel which covered the sonobuoy launcher. My Japan det was the first LAMPS helo det to deploy on the 4 Frigates home-ported in Yokosuka, so we dubbed ourselves LAMPS of the rising sun, red/white rising sun over blue ocean, our squadron & det number in white letters on the water, with Mt Fugi rising out of the water with a H-2 silhouette flying near the top. Before painting it, we checked with our Japanese hosts to see how it might be received. They encouraged us to do it. When our ship visited the Japanese Naval Academy, we flew ashore for a static display. It was a popular photo op with the staff & cadets.
Last edited by old salt on Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:37 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:31 pm Man, we really need some fall ball or something.

Might want to check out the student athletes on the SEC Network.
Florida v Stanford w-volleyball.
Damn.
:D
Had a feeling my question would strike a nerve or two. ;)
AB1BAF97-5282-43E2-B25A-B5055B8DB6E3.jpeg
AB1BAF97-5282-43E2-B25A-B5055B8DB6E3.jpeg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 565 times
old salt

Post by old salt »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:18 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:37 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:31 pm Man, we really need some fall ball or something.

Might want to check out the student athletes on the SEC Network.
Florida v Stanford w-volleyball.
Damn.
:D
Had a feeling my question would strike a nerve or two. ;)
AB1BAF97-5282-43E2-B25A-B5055B8DB6E3.jpeg
Where's Wombat ?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:55 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm Is it equally as unpatriotic for a group of people to march in the middle of the road shouting PIGS IN A BLANKET.. FRY EM LIKE BACON?
Citing grievances to those in power is the most patriotic thing an American can do, Cradle. Sans violence, of course. Our country was literally built on this principle.
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:31 pm Americans have been critical of the FBI since they were led some guy named J Edgar Hoover. It ain't like it's some new fangled phenomenon. It is only recently that being anti FBI has become fashionable again.
What's new is that American conservatives are critical of law enforcement.

It was the Vietnam era libs who didn't trust the FBI.
They were doing doing more than protesting the police. They were condoning the use of violence against the police. That is in no way a patriotic gesture. As to the FBI, funny how 50 years ago they were demonized by the left. Today they are demonized by the right.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:54 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:45 pm Do you consider it unpatriotic to wear MAGA gear ?

Don't stand for the flag and the national anthem because you're unhappy with our government? Patriotic.

When I see it, I think of all those who sacrificed & gave their lives in service to it.
Certainly that's what many think of when seeing that flag, perfectly reasonable IMO.

But it's the flag of the United States of America, our federal union, our Constitutionally based rule of law not men, democratic republic.

It represents all of us who are citizens as well as our ancestors who worked to make this country what it is today. Including those died in service...and those who lived in service.

So, at least to me, the proper understanding is nearly sacred...but it is shocking to me that what should be sacred as been so shamefully sullied by those who claim to be patriotic, wrapping themselves in the flag, but who so clearly hate, dislike, distrust our very form of government and those who work in service today.

disgusting.
And I agree with those saying it's become difficult to fly the flag with the same confidence that we won't be misunderstood as MAGA. Which is a shame.

BTW, I'm perfectly fine as well with those who utilize the flag or anthem or other symbolism to express their protest against the current realities in which our country still does not live up to its ideals. Protesting and working for a 'more perfect union' is indeed patriotic as well...but not via violence or hate.

Yes, Cradle, those who carried the Blue Lives Matter flags during the insurrection contributed to as unpatriotic an act as one can imagine, beating on policemen defending democracy, that which the Stars and Stripes actually represents, in an effort to overturn a legitimate election in favor of installing a corrupt tyrant. Any question as to where those insurrectionists true loyalties lie became obvious. And it wasn't to "blue lives".

Anyone waving the Blue Lives Matter flag that tried to break into the capital is a huge hypocrite. If you waved the Blue Lives Matter flag to the protest at the capital steps that is a different matter. Are you saying that any protester waving any flag that only marched to the capital steps to protest are all unpatriotic by default because they protested in the first place. I have my Betsy Ross flag I purchased right after 9/11. Today that flag is looked upon by many FLP pinheads as a symbol of the FRC nutjobs. The truth is it is simply an American flag and a beautiful one at that. If I fly it in front of my house today, some angry, narrow minded people will only see that flag as a symbol of FRC extremism. They no longer see an American flag.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:16 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:47 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194708819366

I flew the predecessor to that -- the SH-2F

We had some pretty good original art. On the H-2, every detachment would paint their det patch on the detachable side panel which covered the sonobuoy launcher. My Japan det was the first LAMPS helo det to deploy on the 4 Frigates home-ported in Yokosuka, so we dubbed ourselves LAMPS of the rising sun, red/white rising sun over blue ocean, our squadron & det number in white letters on the water, with Mt Fugi rising out of the water with a H-2 silhouette flying near the top. Before painting it, we checked with our Japanese hosts to see how it might be received. They encouraged us to do it. When our ship visited the Japanese Naval Academy, we flew ashore for a static display. It was a popular photo op with the staff & cadets.
Hopefully you didn't mis-spell Mt FUJI on your patch. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fugi is plural of a poisonous blowfish, a delicacy where the Sushi-chef needs a license to prepare the fish so as to not kill the customer but to only numb the lips and mouth while eating.
old salt

Post by old salt »

...wasn't necessary to spell it, just a picture. everyone recognized Fujisan. I might misspell it, but I climbed it.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:02 am ...wasn't necessary to spell it, just a picture. everyone recognized Fujisan. I might misspell it, but I climbed it.
You and I have a lot in common.

You flew helicopters and I used to have the Whirybird breakfast special (2 eggs, 2 snausage, 2pancakes) at the Hughes Helicopter canteen in Culver City.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:02 am ...wasn't necessary to spell it, just a picture. everyone recognized Fujisan. I might misspell it, but I climbed it.
Good for you. Ever have FUGU while you were there?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:45 am
Not knowingly.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:51 am
Kismet wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:45 am
Not knowingly.
Lucky you.....or a properly licensed chef. ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:03 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:54 pm

disgusting.

Anyone waving the Blue Lives Matter flag that tried to break into the capital is a huge hypocrite. If you waved the Blue Lives Matter flag to the protest at the capital steps that is a different matter. Are you saying that any protester waving any flag that only marched to the capital steps to protest are all unpatriotic by default because they protested in the first place. I have my Betsy Ross flag I purchased right after 9/11. Today that flag is looked upon by many FLP pinheads as a symbol of the FRC nutjobs. The truth is it is simply an American flag and a beautiful one at that. If I fly it in front of my house today, some angry, narrow minded people will only see that flag as a symbol of FRC extremism. They no longer see an American flag.
I'm saying that waving the flag, any flag, is not a guarantee of patriotism.

AND I'm saying that it's an awful shame but these symbols have been badly sullied by their usage as symbols of what I believe can correctly be described as fascism. Indeed, it makes it difficult to not wonder what the flag waver is communicating when we see it being most vigorously waved.

My mother innocently bought a replacement American flag for the dock at the lake, the prior one was in tatters and hadn't been replaced by our landlord. We did put it up, as we'd have previously done, but we did wonder whether other lake goers would misunderstand us as MAGA fascists. I drew the line at putting it up behind the speed boat, a favorite display by MAGA types now.

Yes, your Betsy Ross flag has been specifically claimed by the far right extremists...an even stronger representation of their ideology. We've previously discussed their rationale...again, a shame.

As to the Blue Lives Matter flag, we agree as to hypocrisy...but I also think the flag and waving it at any event is really saying the flag waver doesn't care about and/or rejects concerns about police violence, especially racially based violence. There can be exceptions in one's intent, but that's what it represents as used primarily. (the Confederate flag can just be intended as a symbol of 'rebellious youth' but that's not what is commonly understood, rather it's typically a direct statement of racial bigotry and intimidation).

As to the protestors who did not break down doors but were 'merely in Washington to protest'....based on a mistaken view of the election outcome because of the Big Lie, I think there was a thin line. Many of them, including my brother-in-law, did not directly engage in any violence. However most did hope to be part of reversing the outcome of the election, not merely "protest". And they marched side by side with those carrying Confederate flags, Qanon symbols, and participated in chants calling for reversal of the election, part of an attempt at intimidation to do so.

In my brother-in-law's case he claims he had no expectation that the election would be reversed, just expected to hear some speeches, and didn't witness any violence (though he did get tear gas in his eyes 3 times and lost his phone in the press of people)...and he was on the Capitol steps, which itself was illegal though he says he didn't know that. Yes, being part of a mob can cause one to do things one would never consider when alone.

I don't see my brother in law's actions as actually 'patriotic' though he had thought so at the time. I'll defend his right to protest, peacefully, even when so mistaken. But he was part of a mob that tried to overturn democracy and if he doesn't reject that effort (as he has the violence at least) he'd be no patriot.

And anyone still supporting the Big Lie is definitely not a patriot. And yet they claim to be.

Return to “POLITICS”