Virginia 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxrules10

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by Laxrules10 »

I watched the Lehigh scrimmage which was the first for both teams on the day. Not playing for UVA - Kastner, Mcconvey, Cormier and Dickson. Lehigh was without Sisselberger plus a few others. Game was close thoughout. 5-5 at half, 10-9 thru 3rd and 16-14 UVA final. Players who shined on offense were Mencke, Sunderland and Mcintosh with 3 goals each, Cory had 2. Terenzi had a goal and looked shifty in his dodges.

Faceoff was about even with Lasalla/Eldridge going against Lehigh's backups in Dow and Brock.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:15 pm I watched the Lehigh scrimmage which was the first for both teams on the day. Not playing for UVA - Kastner, Mcconvey, Cormier and Dickson. Lehigh was without Sisselberger plus a few others. Game was close thoughout. 5-5 at half, 10-9 thru 3rd and 16-14 UVA final. Players who shined on offense were Mencke, Sunderland and Mcintosh with 3 goals each, Cory had 2. Terenzi had a goal and looked shifty in his dodges.

Faceoff was about even with Lasalla/Eldridge going against Lehigh's backups in Dow and Brock.
Returning starters , Sallade and Matsui were out as well but they already know what those 6 can do. Lot’s of very young guys got opportunities to play key roles which is great. Lehigh played very tough even without Sissleberger. I would have expected Virginia to dominate face offs but Lehigh competed well…..
molo

Post by molo »

I’m wondering if Sunderland might end up playing both attack and midfield as did Shellenberger with Schutz moving between attack and midfield. Terrenzi has to be in the mix at midfield. He projects as an offensive middie who can take a wing and hold his own if stuck in on d. I haven’t seen Colsey, but given his size, his hs scoring, and his pedigree—Roy was an incredibly athletic middie at SU, and I believe his mother was an athlete at Keene State—I would hope to see him in the mix at attack or, more likely this year, offensive middie. A healthy McConvey could provide more of a number two option than an injured Moore. Overall, not a lot of room for newcomers to see the field. Worst case scenario is probably performing a little better than last year. Best case is a realistic shot at another ND.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

molo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:58 pm I’m wondering if Sunderland might end up playing both attack and midfield as did Shellenberger with Schutz moving between attack and midfield. Terrenzi has to be in the mix at midfield. He projects as an offensive middie who can take a wing and hold his own if stuck in on d. I haven’t seen Colsey, but given his size, his hs scoring, and his pedigree—Roy was an incredibly athletic middie at SU, and I believe his mother was an athlete at Keene State—I would hope to see him in the mix at attack or, more likely this year, offensive middie. A healthy McConvey could provide more of a number two option than an injured Moore. Overall, not a lot of room for newcomers to see the field. Worst case scenario is probably performing a little better than last year. Best case is a realistic shot at another ND.
That is a reasonable range but last year Virginia's season was negatively impacted by injuries to a larger number of key players than is usual. Returning all but 1 key player and adding some outstanding 1st year and transfer talent, it would be quite a big disappointment to perform only slightly better than last season. Memorial Day weekend should be the realistic goal, assuming the team is healthy.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:14 pm
molo wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:58 pm I’m wondering if Sunderland might end up playing both attack and midfield as did Shellenberger with Schutz moving between attack and midfield. Terrenzi has to be in the mix at midfield. He projects as an offensive middie who can take a wing and hold his own if stuck in on d. I haven’t seen Colsey, but given his size, his hs scoring, and his pedigree—Roy was an incredibly athletic middie at SU, and I believe his mother was an athlete at Keene State—I would hope to see him in the mix at attack or, more likely this year, offensive middie. A healthy McConvey could provide more of a number two option than an injured Moore. Overall, not a lot of room for newcomers to see the field. Worst case scenario is probably performing a little better than last year. Best case is a realistic shot at another ND.
That is a reasonable range but last year Virginia's season was negatively impacted by injuries to a larger number of key players than is usual. Returning all but 1 key player and adding some outstanding 1st year and transfer talent, it would be quite a big disappointment to perform only slightly better than last season. Memorial Day weekend should be the realistic goal, assuming the team is healthy.
they lost just 2 games to teams that weren't juggernauts, lost in the quarters to that eventual champ, and went 5 and 1 in the acc. a ff sounds like a *slight* improvement, and that's his worst case. there's a lot of good teams out there. and that's not a worst case scenario at all.
MIAAlaxluvr40

Post by MIAAlaxluvr40 »

Recently was talking with someone close to the program and heard that Tiffany is hoping to redshirt a few freshmen to maximize their time at UVA. Could Tiffany make Truitt and Terenzi take a year off for development? With so much depth at the midfield and attack, they could be better on scout team and improve this UVA defense for the spring.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MIAAlaxluvr40 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:41 pm Recently was talking with someone close to the program and heard that Tiffany is hoping to redshirt a few freshmen to maximize their time at UVA. Could Tiffany make Truitt and Terenzi take a year off for development? With so much depth at the midfield and attack, they could be better on scout team and improve this UVA defense for the spring.
no inside knowledge, but expect those 2 will be on the field. each had a good showings supposedly in internal and external scrimmages, albeit with a number of guys out. but to be up to speed in the fall for a frosh is a good sign. this fall is showing again that injuries happen, and you need replacements ready. plus they have '23s and '24s coming on offense.

a guess, a guy like shroter could redshirt. not a lot of room at the inn on defense.

you never know, and they had the top recruit/frosh redshirt in '20 and tiffany broached doing that again in '22, but i doubt it.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

What do they do on defense? Seems like they have a TON of talent - Kology was a starter as a frosh at Richmond, where do they all play?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:42 pm What do they do on defense? Seems like they have a TON of talent - Kology was a starter as a frosh at Richmond, where do they all play?
everyone's back, so either thru injury or an expansion of your base guys. or you beat somebody out.

the top 3 lsm's are back, so that'd be tough.
giulieri's been the man down guy for 3 years.
on close, uva's been liberal in playing a 4th guy at times more than most teams, so maybe there.
kology might have the edge for now on the latter, but that's conjecture based on scrimmages (and his freshman work).

fulton impressed as a frosh enough to be the 4th guy in '22 for a while, but when they had injury it was bower who moved over to close.

schroter and jones coming in this year will have peeps they'll have to beat out.

i'd think jones and prestipino might be at least candidates to look at ssdm in the spring, but insiders would know that.

they were ok as a defense last year, but too many lapses as a group in too many games. their losses weren't pretty on d (or offense). if there isn't a juggernaut like umd '22 this year they may get away with it, but likely they have to be better anyway. kastner earned a starting spot late in the year as a frosh for a team that won a championship, so ya never know. plus a couple guys have had injuries.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:51 pm
MIAAlaxluvr40 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:41 pm Recently was talking with someone close to the program and heard that Tiffany is hoping to redshirt a few freshmen to maximize their time at UVA. Could Tiffany make Truitt and Terenzi take a year off for development? With so much depth at the midfield and attack, they could be better on scout team and improve this UVA defense for the spring.
no inside knowledge, but expect those 2 will be on the field. each had a good showings supposedly in internal and external scrimmages, albeit with a number of guys out. but to be up to speed in the fall for a frosh is a good sign. this fall is showing again that injuries happen, and you need replacements ready. plus they have '23s and '24s coming on offense.

a guess, a guy like shroter could redshirt. not a lot of room at the inn on defense.

you never know, and they had the top recruit/frosh redshirt in '20 and tiffany broached doing that again in '22, but i doubt it.
Has there been a change to redshirt rules in lacrosse? Do you burn a year for scrimmages?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:36 am

Has there been a change to redshirt rules in lacrosse? Do you burn a year for scrimmages?
in 2018 after football got 4 games, they changed it for spring sports. additionally because fall sports got to scrimmage in the spring without repercussions.

so fall scrimmages do not count on eligibility. spring scrimmages, yes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:44 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:36 am

in 2018 after football got 4 games, they changed it for spring sports. additionally because fall sports got to scrimmage in the spring without repercussions.

so fall scrimmages do not count on eligibility. spring scrimmages, yes.
OK. I couldn’t remember.
“I wish you would!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Tucker Mullen getting an PT?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:16 pm Tucker Mullen getting an PT?
He has been out due to injury this Fall along with about 6 starters. Everyone is expected back before the season starts
thrill-a-minute

Post by thrill-a-minute »

dek wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:03 pm Lars has tended to recruit smaller classes and leaves a little room for flexibility. Hoos coaches are still working on the ‘23 class and probably have two or three spots left to fill, but don’t seem to be in a rush. They haven’t let the roster swell much post Covid and are around 43-44. General expectation is they’ll continue to use the portal pretty sparingly.
Interesting for sure...

Anybody know what the story is regarding the "walk on" Attackman from Tampa that Lars announced on social media?

Stats at Tampa last year = One turnover

Inquiring minds want to know :?
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

thrill-a-minute wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:54 pm
dek wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:03 pm Lars has tended to recruit smaller classes and leaves a little room for flexibility. Hoos coaches are still working on the ‘23 class and probably have two or three spots left to fill, but don’t seem to be in a rush. They haven’t let the roster swell much post Covid and are around 43-44. General expectation is they’ll continue to use the portal pretty sparingly.
Interesting for sure...

Anybody know what the story is regarding the "walk on" Attackman from Tampa that Lars announced on social media?

Stats at Tampa last year = One turnover

Inquiring minds want to know :?
No idea, but he isn’t really hurting for great options at attack this year or in coming ones……
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

knowing absolutely nothing about the Tampa player in question - my mind immediately wonders: is he a very athletic and high energy potential SSDM or wing player on FO's?

I would think Lars would make room for someone like that.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

FCCTlaxFan wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:58 pm Any word on how the scrimmage(s) went this weekend?
Here is Lars talking about it
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... 0584290023
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

HooDat wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:03 am knowing absolutely nothing about the Tampa player in question - my mind immediately wonders: is he a very athletic and high energy potential SSDM or wing player on FO's?

I would think Lars would make room for someone like that.
Anyone know his name?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”