The Rules

D1 Womens Lacrosse
user1020

Re: The Rules

Post by user1020 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:39 am
duffy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:09 am As one of the core safety rules, I doubt Shooting Space is going away.
I agree. And I u sweat and that it can be difficult for fans new to the game or fans coming from the mens game to get on bird with. Shooting space & 3 seconds also prevents the defense from just packing the 8m.

I will say there are times, not often, I think officials get a little trigger happy with shooting space - specifically calling it when the attacking player with the ball is not even looking to goal or “looking to shoot”, but when it’s a safety rule I can also understand officials wanting to err on the side of caution.
The rule is annoying sometimes, but I don’t think it should be removed. It just needs to be called better and refs shouldn’t be over eager and whistle happy with it (I do understand they call it to keep the players safe but sometimes it is unnecessary)

A few rule changes that I like.

When a foul is committed on the draw I like keeping the teams behind the restraining lines, so that the opposing team can’t see up a redefend. Once the whistle is blown anyone can move.

Not letting a defensive team fill the hash when there is a false start on the defense.

More charges. This call is so inconsistent and difficult to call, but I saw many blocks called when a charge should’ve been called IMO.

Count the goals when an attacker is pushed into the crease and scores. So many times attackers go into the crease and the goal is disallowed but they are pushed.

Free possession when there is a man up situation at the end of a quarter.

Free clear with yellow card.

I know these have all been stated but I like them
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

user1020 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:14 pm
duffy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:09 am As one of the core safety rules, I doubt Shooting Space is going away.
I agree. And I u sweat and that it can be difficult for fans new to the game or fans coming from the mens game to get on bird with. Shooting space & 3 seconds also prevents the defense from just packing the 8m.

I will say there are times, not often, I think officials get a little trigger happy with shooting space - specifically calling it when the attacking player with the ball is not even looking to goal or “looking to shoot”, but when it’s a safety rule I can also understand officials wanting to err on the side of caution.
The rule is annoying sometimes, but I don’t think it should be removed. It just needs to be called better and refs shouldn’t be over eager and whistle happy with it (I do understand they call it to keep the players safe but sometimes it is unnecessary)

When a foul is committed on the draw I like keeping the teams behind the restraining lines, so that the opposing team can’t see up a redefend. Once the whistle is blown anyone can move.

Not letting a defensive team fill the hash when there is a false start on the defense.

More charges. This call is so inconsistent and difficult to call, but I saw many blocks called when a charge should’ve been called IMO.

Count the goals when an attacker is pushed into the crease and scores. So many times attackers go into the crease and the goal is disallowed but they are pushed.

I think we are coming to consensus. Who knows someone on the committee?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:00 pm
user1020 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:14 pm

I think we are coming to consensus. Who knows someone on the committee?
http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committ ... =WLACRULES
rules.png
rules.png (38.3 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I don’t think this is a rules change year. At least my rulebook says 2022 and 2023.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

njbill wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm I don’t think this is a rules change year. At least my rulebook says 2022 and 2023.
I believe you are correct. So, we have plenty of time to get ahead of this. We just need to figure out a way to get Dr. Tact appointed as an "At-Large" rep on the rules committee.
njbill

Post by njbill »

And we need to appoint a secretary for the FanLax rules committee to jot down all the ideas since no one will remember them this time next year. At least I won’t.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 pm
njbill wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm I don’t think this is a rules change year. At least my rulebook says 2022 and 2023.
I believe you are correct. So, we have plenty of time to get ahead of this. We just need to figure out a way to get Dr. Tact appointed as an "At-Large" rep on the rules committee.
I thought I wasnt in the inner circle... :oops:
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

And that's another problem I have always had with Women's Lacrosse and Rules. There should be no such thing as a "rules change year". If rules need to be changed, adjusted, clarified or added...Just freakin do it!! Site the problem and fix it. That's what they do in other sports, so why does WLax have to be different?
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 pm
@inthe8m wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:05 pm
I thought I wasnt in the inner circle... :oops:
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:37 am
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:13 am
Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am Here is a change I would like to see. On the draw when there is an infraction, all players must stay behind the restraining line until the whistle is blown. Right now all attackers leave and go ride and the advantage for the offense is lost.
That is a good suggestion.
Agreed. Simple to implement.
Yes. This was one of the men's rules I posted about implementing in the women's game a couple months back. It's not fair to allow the team committing the foul to bring up their attack to setup a ride in that situation. In the men's game everyone holds in the box until the whistle.

Other rules from the men's game I think would be beneficial in the women's game(and easy to implement):
-If a team is a woman up and has possession of the ball at the end of a quarter, there is no draw and they start the next quarter with the ball. I have seen several cases of a card very late in a quarter where the woman down team wins the ensuing draw and the woman up team doesn't get any opportunity to take advantage of the woman up situation. Especially now that the women have quarters it makes total sense.
-If the team on offense gets a card(dangerous shot, major foul on the ride, etc), the team going woman up should get a free clear to the 30. In the men's game it's a free clear to midfield if a flag is thrown on the offensive team.
Uh oh. You stumbled across the pet peeve of one of our colleagues.
https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ve#p378077

It's been suggested that one should not "try to make a change to the women's game based on something done on the men's side." I agree with Hmmm, however, that both genders can learn from the other's version of the game. Shot clocks, field boundaries, mesh pockets and limiting the number of players on the draw circle are regarded as improvements by the large majority of the women's lacrosse world. Just because those ideas had origins in men's lacrosse does not diminish their value. I agree with both of Hmmm's suggested rules tweaks above.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Can Opener wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:01 pm
hmmm wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:37 am
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:24 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:13 am
Brownlax wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:12 am Here is a change I would like to see. On the draw when there is an infraction, all players must stay behind the restraining line until the whistle is blown. Right now all attackers leave and go ride and the advantage for the offense is lost.
That is a good suggestion.
Agreed. Simple to implement.
Yes. This was one of the men's rules I posted about implementing in the women's game a couple months back. It's not fair to allow the team committing the foul to bring up their attack to setup a ride in that situation. In the men's game everyone holds in the box until the whistle.

Other rules from the men's game I think would be beneficial in the women's game(and easy to implement):
-If a team is a woman up and has possession of the ball at the end of a quarter, there is no draw and they start the next quarter with the ball. I have seen several cases of a card very late in a quarter where the woman down team wins the ensuing draw and the woman up team doesn't get any opportunity to take advantage of the woman up situation. Especially now that the women have quarters it makes total sense.
-If the team on offense gets a card(dangerous shot, major foul on the ride, etc), the team going woman up should get a free clear to the 30. In the men's game it's a free clear to midfield if a flag is thrown on the offensive team.
Uh oh. You stumbled across the pet peeve of one of our colleagues.
https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... ve#p378077

It's been suggested that one should not "try to make a change to the women's game based on something done on the men's side." I agree with Hmmm, however, that both genders can learn from the other's version of the game. Shot clocks, field boundaries, mesh pockets and limiting the number of players on the draw circle are regarded as improvements by the large majority of the women's lacrosse world. Just because those ideas had origins in men's lacrosse does not diminish their value. I agree with both of Hmmm's suggested rules tweaks above.
Calling something done in the women's game a "pet peeve" just because it is not done the same way as the men's game doesn't really have the same tone as Hmmm's suggestions. Especially when the two things you are comparing, the face-off and the draw, are extremely different. That's just how I took it. But I understand that you have a self-indulgent need to stir the pot.

FTR I'm pretty lukewarm on a lot of the free clear suggestions. IMO, if the other team gets a yellow - you're a player up and that should be enough of an advantage to clear the ball. The rest of the free clear suggestions seem to be kind of undoing the free movement that was implemented a few years ago, so I don't know how likely it is that they would get implemented. I would like to see the player awarded the ball after a foul be given a bit more than 2m, though. I really like the idea of the defense losing the hash if they false start.

And just throwing this out there - yes the women were technically the first to adopt a shot clock, but the men's game had always had stall warnings in place to prevent 5+ minutes of keep away. Yes the stall warning was subjective and the shot clock is not, but it was still something the men's game had that kept the game moving more than the women's.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Crosscheck wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:24 am I would change the rule that has the clock running after a foul, even when the ref is preventing the offensive player from trying to go forward. I think it was at the end of the 2nd Q in the UNC-BC game that the UNC player was fouled just outside the 8 meter and the clock ran out while the ref held the ball trying to set players up. Rewards the defense for fouling
The Rules thread has kind of taken off and I missed this but I agree. I don't think leaving the clock running actually significantly shortened the game at all and from my POV it's really only negatively impacting the game because it rewards the defense, as you said. It may only be an extra 5-15 seconds but they all add up. It wasn't uncommon this season to see players roll the ball a distance away from the foul either which could take up additional seconds
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Agreed. This just negatively impacts the game and rewards fouls and bad behavior. The game doesn’t need to be shortened so much so that this rule is necessary.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”