Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:24 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:58 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:13 pm Figured Dolan was going to be McNaney’s back-up, since he’s transferring in. Anyone know much about Aitken?

Also, any word on Trader?
I forgot about Dolan. Yes, he'll be back-up
Looks like Trader will be playing lacrosse next spring.

https://twitter.com/kevbrown89/status/1 ... 3108EqAAAA

Trader retweeted this tweet.
we'll see if he's a starting full time db with upside. would be good to see, i'm sure he wants to.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:35 pm I hope he does. Not being with the team for fallball will always preclude him from fulfilling his full lacrosse potential which is unfortunate because I think he has the potential to be one of the great two-way players in recent memory but just having him as a wing face-off guy and shortie who's an auto clear, plays good D, and pushes transition is a weapon
Looking at his twitter feed, he’s clearly a huge lacrosse fan. Interestingly he only played one year of varsity ball for McDonough, as a senior… and still was a captain of the team. He played two-way mid. Named Baltimore Sun high school athlete of the year.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:35 pm I hope he does. Not being with the team for fallball will always preclude him from fulfilling his full lacrosse potential which is unfortunate because I think he has the potential to be one of the great two-way players in recent memory but just having him as a wing face-off guy and shortie who's an auto clear, plays good D, and pushes transition is a weapon
Looking at his twitter feed, he’s clearly a huge lacrosse fan. Interestingly he only played one year of varsity ball for McDonough, as a senior… and still was a captain of the team. He played two-way mid. Named Baltimore Sun high school athlete of the year.

You guys should listen to this TerpTalk with Tillman. He really explains so much, about this year, last year, and next year.

He mentions Spanos and Whittier as two redshirt freshmen who were great scout team players, and he thinks you’ll see them next year on the field.

Tillman clearly has a lot of talent for next year. It’s hard to see where a transfer might help on offense; he seems like he has too much talent there already, which frankly is amazing since he loses Wisnauskas, Khan, Demaio, and Donville!!! He probably could use Fake on defense if that ends up being true.

Having Weirman is such a blessing for this team. Tillman mentions that he thought the referee managing the FO whistle on Monday didn’t handle things well, so he said Weirman adjusted and then began winning again.

Tillman has a scientist type on the sidelines who analyzes ‘load’, in essence how much energy the guys exert. The Princeton game was number two on the season, Notre Dane number one. He walks you through the travel issues they had getting back from the UVA game in Ohio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7g7YTN3OU

Well worth the listen even though the audio doesn’t line up well with the mouth action. Just listen don’t watch lol. Very interesting stuff. 30 minutes.
terp talk

Post by terp talk »

Terp Talk interview with Tillman 24 hrs after the Championship game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7g7YTN3OU
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

terp talk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:41 pm Terp Talk interview with Tillman 24 hrs after the Championship game

It’s a great interview. Tills is normally very PC and does not give much away when he does interview but in this interview he was very chatty. Lots of insights
Thanks
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:09 pm
You guys should listen to this TerpTalk with Tillman. He really explains so much, about this year, last year, and next year.

He mentions Spanos and Whittier as two redshirt freshmen who were great scout team players, and he thinks you’ll see them next year on the field.

Tillman clearly has a lot of talent for next year. It’s hard to see where a transfer might help on offense; he seems like he has too much talent there already, which frankly is amazing since he loses Wisnauskas, Khan, Demaio, and Donville!!! He probably could use Fake on defense if that ends up being true.

Having Weirman is such a blessing for this team. Tillman mentions that he thought the referee managing the FO whistle on Monday didn’t handle things well, so he said Weirman adjusted and then began winning again.

Tillman has a scientist type on the sidelines who analyzes ‘load’, in essence how much energy the guys exert. The Princeton game was number two on the season, Notre Dane number one. He walks you through the travel issues they had getting back from the UVA game in Ohio.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7g7YTN3OU

Well worth the listen even though the audio doesn’t line up well with the mouth action. Just listen don’t watch lol. Very interesting stuff. 30 minutes.
Thanks Pete... hadn't planned to, but this one was well worth it for sure. Interesting to hear the trials and tribulations the team went through pretty much starting from right after the UVa game, until the end of the CG.

Also interesting to hear Tills mention Whittier, who's not the most heralded guy. Definitely excited to see what Spanos can do. And good to hear Tills call on guys like Malever and Brennan to be more vocal, and to become the next group of leaders within the locker room.

And also interesting about the strength coach, and his measuring of exertion. Wonder if the players all do HRV readings every morning...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:04 pm
terp talk wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:41 pm Terp Talk interview with Tillman 24 hrs after the Championship game

It’s a great interview. Tills is normally very PC and does not give much away when he does interview but in this interview he was very chatty. Lots of insights
Thanks

So much of what he says in this interview is interesting. Opponents get salty over Maryland attracting guys like Khan and Donville but Tillman explains how delicate of a transition that can be, as likely to go south as work out. He especially recognizes how humble Donville was coming in, earning the respect of his teammates first, eventually becoming a leader later on.

The discussion of transfers is why I think so highly of Tillman. He really gets the human element of organization. It’s so easy to throw stones at Maryland, but the reality is transfers are not the quick fix others assume. For instance, I think Georgetown is going to have trouble next year with too much additional grad traffic: it’s simply too much. There’s only one ball out there. You really need to be careful when taking on talent.

For the Ivy homers, Tillman is Exhibit A why Ivy coaches think of greater achievements when the headhunter comes calling. Corning raised, Cornell grad, running a very good Harvard program, job security for life, yet he moves on to Maryland. The results? He’s now considered to be one of the best active coaches, and he’s made history in multiple ways already.
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:45 am

Thanks

So much of what he says in this interview is interesting. Opponents get salty over Maryland attracting guys like Khan and Donville but Tillman explains how delicate of a transition that can be, as likely to go south as work out. He especially recognizes how humble Donville was coming in, earning the respect of his teammates first, eventually becoming a leader later on.

The discussion of transfers is why I think so highly of Tillman. He really gets the human element of organization. It’s so easy to throw stones at Maryland, but the reality is transfers are not the quick fix others assume. For instance, I think Georgetown is going to have trouble next year with too much additional grad traffic: it’s simply too much. There’s only one ball out there. You really need to be careful when taking on talent.

For the Ivy homers, Tillman is Exhibit A why Ivy coaches think of greater achievements when the headhunter comes calling. Corning raised, Cornell grad, running a very good Harvard program, job security for life, yet he moves on to Maryland. The results? He’s now considered to be one of the best active coaches, and he’s made history in multiple ways already.
Spot on Petey!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Terps22 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:50 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!

Think what a calling card it is now when Tillman recruits a kid. Not only can he demonstrate national championships (multiple), but now he’s got Terp grads like Bernhardt, Rambo, Khan, Donville, Fairman, Demaio, Grill, Heacock, Wisnauskas, and Kelly as references. Those guys are not simply great athletes, they’re great kids. That would be heady for any high school junior or senior.

Success attracts success, with a pretty big caveat. I’d think the hardest part of recruiting now at Maryland is convincing some incredible players that there’s enough playing time for them. I see that as a high class problem, one I’m sure Tillman is skilled at handling.

Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Maryland is in for a good long ride here.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Ivies simply don't pay as much. Not nearly (Yale may be the exception now).

But it's not because you can't be considered one of the "best active coaches" at an Ivy, nor "greater achievements". Pretty sure that Tierney was recognized as one of "best active coaches" with his teams NC's at PU, nor was Shea looking for "greater achievements".

Nor do Ivy coaches have "security for life"; not unless they win and win a lot. And run a clean program without off field trauma. Same as elsewhere.

Petey's post was just another way to troll.
Ala his calling Princeton players as private, prep school kids and UMD's as from blue collar publics...stupid, inaccurate trolling.
And on the Ivy thread saying that UMD has now won the Ivy championship...

Don't buy into his trying to cozy up with a great winning season and program. It demeans the actual terrific accomplishments of the players, coaches and the rightful joy UMD fans have at their program's success.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:28 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

But it's not because you can't be considered one of the "best active coaches" at an Ivy, nor "greater achievements". Pretty sure that Tierney was recognized as one of "best active coaches" with his teams NC's at PU, nor was Shea looking for "greater achievements".

Nor do Ivy coaches have "security for life"; not unless they win and win a lot. And run a clean program without off field trauma. Same as elsewhere.

Ala his calling Princeton players as private, prep school kids and UMD's as from blue collar publics...stupid, inaccurate trolling.

Don't buy into his trying to cozy up with a great winning season and program. It demeans the actual terrific accomplishments of the players, coaches and the rightful joy UMD fans have at their program's success.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4ke5eSys09g
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Legend has it, Petey's about to hit 'Submit' on his pre-written "I told you Vermont would win the face-off battle and beat the Terps" manifesto
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

MD: you really need to get a life. You follow me around Fanlax like a spurned GF, a true bunny boiler.

This is the ‘Maryland thread’. Restrict your comments to the Terps, not other posters.

Just bizarre behavior.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Legend has it, Petey's about to hit 'Submit' on his pre-written "I told you Vermont would win the face-off battle and beat the Terps" manifesto

I’ll own that. Tommy Burke had success against every opponent except Luke. I did not, however, say UVM wound “win”; I suggested Maryland needed to take every opponent seriously and not look past a tough UVM squad.

That remains true for every game in sport and life.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:03 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

MD: you really need to get a life. You follow me around Fanlax like a spurned GF, a true bunny boiler.

This is the ‘Maryland thread’. Restrict your comments to the Terps, not other posters.

Just bizarre behavior.
You telling me what to post is a trip...stop trolling Petey and folks will stop objecting to it.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:21 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Just bizarre behavior.
You telling me what to post is a trip...stop trolling Petey and folks will stop objecting to it.

Do everyone a favor and mute me from your Fanlax account, okay? I literally don’t mention you, but you come in anyway to discuss me. Just insufferable smug idiocy.

Take this back to Maryland; ITS THE MARYLAND THREAD. Jeebus.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:44 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Just bizarre behavior.

Do everyone a favor and mute me from your Fanlax account, okay? I literally don’t mention you, but you come in anyway to discuss me. Just insufferable smug idiocy.

yup, and you are polluting it with your tripe.
Go back to pretending you are a Loyola fan and you know all the guys' first names...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Man, Tillman showing the emotion. I’m telling you, this season was a deep well of emotions. Check these out. Play Makar’s video if you can.

SVP let’s you know.

72567079-4A37-44AB-A448-9D9754FF8325.jpeg
72567079-4A37-44AB-A448-9D9754FF8325.jpeg (183.4 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

https://twitter.com/coachtillman1/statu ... kYmxTYhFJA

2E0A384E-CA80-4DF5-AD5E-EA66A1D604EF.jpeg
2E0A384E-CA80-4DF5-AD5E-EA66A1D604EF.jpeg (170.87 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

https://twitter.com/marylandonbtn/statu ... kYmxTYhFJA

47EC5D3A-D22F-48A9-9D79-4ADC0C54DC53.jpeg
47EC5D3A-D22F-48A9-9D79-4ADC0C54DC53.jpeg (213.95 KiB) Viewed 1701 times

https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/15 ... kYmxTYhFJA

As a fan of real organic no bs emotion, I really like this arc.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
Tils was at Navy '96 to '07. He was the primary recruiter for that great run of Navy teams in the '00's.
We all hoped he'd stick around long enough to be Richie's successor, but he was too good to hold onto & he got away.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:52 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:44 am

Thanks

Spot on Petey!
$$$$

Just bizarre behavior.

yup, and you are polluting it with your tripe.
Go back to pretending you are a Loyola fan and you know all the guys' first names...
I met Coach Tillman years ago. Roomed with my best friend and teammate in college. Saw him at the engagement party…then was in touch with him frequently while at Harvard and then when he went onto Maryland. Provided good advice as my kid was developing. Recruited him in HS. My guess is that I know John Tillman better than Petey does.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”