D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
terp talk

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by terp talk »

Of course--Ryan Moran's great uncle is Richie Moran. Ryan was a great Terp and became an assistant Coach at Maryland before moving to Loyola as an assistant and the becoming Head Coach at UMBC. Ryan was an integral part of Coach Tillman's staff for I believe 6 seasons. Ryan was a great player, is a great Coach and also of course a good friend of mine.I'll have to ask him about his decision to attend Maryland.
FMUBart

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by FMUBart »

Jackie Moran was the long time coach of LI power Chaminade...
molo

Post by molo »

And Richie Moran, like a lot of his fellow Long Islanders, played for Maryland.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

molo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:47 pm And Richie Moran, like a lot of his fellow Long Islanders, played for Maryland.
Beat Maryland for his first two NCAA championships.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

molo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:13 am Bruce, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a significant link between Coach Moran and your Terps?
Trivia question which traditional power beat Cornell in 1971 in a weekday game? Hint they were trichamps the yea before CU win the first NCAA championship and win it the next year.
Cornell won 13 straight games leading up to the title, losing only their opening game by one goal to Virginia. Cornell won despite their 1st team All American goaltender Bob Rule being out with an injury.
molo

Post by molo »

On a rainy day on a field that no longer exists. I can still recall watching the game with Ridgely Beale, whose only complaint was that the rainwater was diluting the contents of his flask. It didn't make it easy to keep the Viceroys lit, either.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

molo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:13 am Bruce, correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t there a significant link between Coach Moran and your Terps?
Trivia question which traditional power beat Cornell in 1971 in a weekday game? Hint they were trichamps the yea before CU win the first NCAA championship and win it the next year.
Trivia answer: Virginia. New trivia question: Which team cancelled their game with Cornell in 1970? Cornell was undefeated that year and the smoke-filled room in Baltimore named that team a tri-national champion with Cornell ranked 4th. Coach Moran played for the Terps & was a National Champion in 1959, meaning Petro is not the only coach with a national championship as a player & coach. Coach Moran is inducted in 9 Halls of Fame including that of Maryland.
DMac

Post by DMac »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:23 pm Cornell won 13 straight games leading up to the title, losing only their opening game by one goal to Virginia.
Interesting parallel, the '89 Cuse team won 13 straight games leading up to the title, losing only their opening game by one goal to Hopkins.
molo

Post by molo »

Didn't know one of the trichamps refused to play them. I'm guessing it must have been Hopkins or UVA because I assume they played Army.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

molo wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:24 pm Didn't know one of the trichamps refused to play them. I'm guessing it must have been Hopkins or UVA because I assume they played Army.
It was Virginia.
molo

Post by molo »

I should have known that. I assume the game would have been scheduled for early enough in the season that it wouldn’t have been affected by the strike. In fact, I don’t think the strike affected the schedule. I remember the black arm band against Maryland.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:48 pm
Trivia answer: Virginia. New trivia question: Which team cancelled their game with Cornell in 1970? Cornell was undefeated that year and the smoke-filled room in Baltimore named that team a tri-national champion with Cornell ranked 4th. Coach Moran played for the Terps & was a National Champion in 1959, meaning Petro is not the only coach with a national championship as a player & coach. Coach Moran is inducted in 9 Halls of Fame including that of Maryland.
what were the circumstances around the cancellation?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:27 pm
weather.
https://laxbuzz.wordpress.com/2010/11/2 ... ollegiate/
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

From an article in Cornell's Ezra newsletter: "Obviously, we were extremely disappointed because we played well all season," says Moran of the 1970 team. "We were hurt because we'd had a game against Virginia that was cancelled due to bad weather. I'm not saying we would have won that game, but it would have given us an opportunity to prove ourselves against the elite of the class."
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:38 pm
weather.
so weather cancelled the game, not virginia. classy statement by moran as usual. smoke filled rooms lasted too long, but maybe the whole 3 way tie and undefeated cornell was a matchstick for getting a tournament done. had they won, maybe beating a 3 loss virginia doesn't move the needle either in those smoke filled rooms back then, either.
DMac

Post by DMac »

“Obviously, we were extremely disappointed because we played well all season,” says Moran of the 1970 team. “We were hurt because we’d had a game against Virginia that was cancelled due to bad weather.
How does this work?
Richie, this is Tom, the weather is like a monsoon in Tan My down here.
You wanna play this one or no?
Is this both teams agreeing to not play, or one team cancelling with the other in disagreement of the call?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:59 pm
weather.
so weather cancelled the game, not virginia. classy statement by moran as usual. smoke filled rooms lasted too long, but maybe the whole 3 way tie and undefeated cornell was a matchstick for getting a tournament done. had they won, maybe beating a 3 loss virginia doesn't move the needle either in those smoke filled rooms back then, either.
Here are the facts: Cornell was in Charlottesville for the game. It rained hard in the morning but the sun was out in the afternoon. Cornell wanted to play the game but Virginia cancelled it. The cancellation was not by mutual agreement.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:56 pm
weather.
Here are the facts: Cornell was in Charlottesville for the game. It rained hard in the morning but the sun was out in the afternoon. Cornell wanted to play the game but Virginia cancelled it. The cancellation was not by mutual agreement.
so the game was on grass? richie says it was cancelled due to weather, good enough for me. always a class guy. it's too bad the game wasn't played. as i said before, maybe a silver lining came out of it.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:05 pm
weather.
so the game was on grass? richie says it was cancelled due to weather, good enough for me. always a class guy. it's too bad the game wasn't played. as i said before, maybe a silver lining came out of it.
wgdsr, I think you are correct about the silver lining. The season ending ranking was so unfair, the NCAA must have decided to take the decision out of the smoke filled room and onto the field. I'm confident the facts as I stated them are correct and any contemporaneous reporting would have confirmed them. The 1970 team had 5 All Americans including Mark Webster who was 1st Team All America in 1970. He was also 1st Team AA in 1969 and 3rd Team in 1968. He graduated in 1970 and went straight to medical school and has been a physician ever since. Surprisingly, Dr. Webster is not in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame. He should be. He is an Upstate NY inductee so he's eligible. An oversight that will be corrected. Without him, Cornell won the NC on the field without its 1st Team AA goalie Bob Rule who was injured at the end of the regular season. His understudy Bob Buhmann stepped in and won the NC game against Maryland 12-6, stopping 22 shots. Buhmann was named honorable mention AA, the only time two goalies on the same team made AA the same season. Bob Buhmann passed away a few years ago. The first NCAA tourney only included 8 teams and it was that way for several years. I don't know when it was raised to 16 teams but in 1978, it was still 8 teams.
DMac

Post by DMac »

weather.
Any place these facts can be verified? Sounds very odd, particularly the not by mutual agreement part.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”