2022 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VA-GLaxFan

Re: 2022 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

I know everyone is all about the Fairfax schools, because that is where the bulk majority of top teams are. However, I wouldn’t rule out the Freedom, Champe, and Battlefield trio this year. Freedom has been strong at 5A in the part with some strong D1 commits. Champe and Battlefield looked good last year and neither one of them lost many players.

Colgan is still going to do well, and Colonial Forge had a strong run last year.

So, there are a lot of other teams in Virginia that can take it this year, and I am confident that one of the teams above will be in the mix
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:13 pm I know everyone is all about the Fairfax schools, because that is where the bulk majority of top teams are. However, I wouldn’t rule out the Freedom, Champe, and Battlefield trio this year. Freedom has been strong at 5A in the part with some strong D1 commits. Champe and Battlefield looked good last year and neither one of them lost many players.

Colgan is still going to do well, and Colonial Forge had a strong run last year.

So, there are a lot of other teams in Virginia that can take it this year, and I am confident that one of the teams above will be in the mix
I agree. Region B is not your mother's (or even your big sister's) Region B anymore. The talent pool of teams has grown quite a bit and those schools you mentioned can now compete with the top dogs in Fairfax.
Dr. Tact

Re: A new #1?

Post by Dr. Tact »

BuckyLou wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:00 pm Based on the scrimmage reports I've heard, looks like it could be a least a little something different in Fairfax this year, as the Patriots of Yorktown came over to Woodson and got the new regime for the Cavs off to a bad start, with a 12-3 victory over the Cavaliers. It was only a scrimmage, but not sure any VA public has gone into Woodson and won by a score like that in a while. Could Yorktown finally be ready to challenge Langley not only for the District and Region, but also States? Are they now the team to beat?
Yorktown is well coached and loaded with talent.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:13 pm I know everyone is all about the Fairfax schools, because that is where the bulk majority of top teams are. However, I wouldn’t rule out the Freedom, Champe, and Battlefield trio this year. Freedom has been strong at 5A in the part with some strong D1 commits. Champe and Battlefield looked good last year and neither one of them lost many players.

I think that the power has been shifting for a few years now.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Three is a Charm...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Three games back-back-back this week & all three have had a goal inside the final 5 seconds! First, O’Connell came to Robo under the lights - important as both teams looked blind at times as more balls were loose then when the ball pit ruptured at Chucky Cheese. It was 4-3 Robo but they got two late to lead 6-4. Rams went the length of the field without a Knight taking a professional foul & scored the 7th with 5 on the clock. The next night it was again the Knights on the road this time at the wreckage of year five(?) of the Oakton HS renovation. Very tight game as the Knights improved under the lights as they never play later than 4:30PM in the CAC, only night game @ George Mason HS at the end of the season. It was 6-6 until the Knights got the important last goal with 3 seconds left for a final score of 7-6. Last night Yorktown came to “The Pat” with a big squad & beat up on the Cavs as few teams have. I had it 13-3 Patriots knocking one girl out of the game (to emergency room) & never letting the Cavs get going. I think Coach Tran has it going this year & I wouldn’t bet against them. They scored with 2 seconds left & rushed the field celebrating so stand by as they already have the last Field Hockey State Championship. I was going to look at their schedule but the Yorktown website has been down today! I think Rams, Cougs, Knights & Cavs most of all have work to do before the season.
StackO

Post by StackO »

Battlefield 20 Westfield 8
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:50 pm Three games back-back-back this week & all three have had a goal inside the final 5 seconds! First, O’Connell came to Robo under the lights - important as both teams looked blind at times as more balls were loose then when the ball pit ruptured at Chucky Cheese. It was 4-3 Robo but they got two late to lead 6-4. Rams went the length of the field without a Knight taking a professional foul & scored the 7th with 5 on the clock. The next night it was again the Knights on the road this time at the wreckage of year five(?) of the Oakton HS renovation. Very tight game as the Knights improved under the lights as they never play later than 4:30PM in the CAC, only night game @ George Mason HS at the end of the season. It was 6-6 until the Knights got the important last goal with 3 seconds left for a final score of 7-6. Last night Yorktown came to “The Pat” with a big squad & beat up on the Cavs as few teams have. I had it 13-3 Patriots knocking one girl out of the game (to emergency room) & never letting the Cavs get going. I think Coach Tran has it going this year & I wouldn’t bet against them. They scored with 2 seconds left & rushed the field celebrating so stand by as they already have the last Field Hockey State Championship. I was going to look at their schedule but the Yorktown website has been down today! I think Rams, Cougs, Knights & Cavs most of all have work to do before the season.
Yorktown website is finally up.

Pretty tough regular season schedule which will show if they are for reals or not...

3/9 Paul VI (scrimmage)
3/15 Maret
3/18 @ Robinson
3/21 @ West Springfield
3/23 @ Dominion
3/25 Centreville
3/29 Oakton
3/31 @ Madison
4/4 Wakefield
4/6 Washington & Liberty
4/9 Meridian
4/19 @ Herndon
4/26 Langley
4/29 @ McLean
5/5 Marshall
T.Kornheiser

Post by T.Kornheiser »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:50 pm Three games back-back-back this week & all three have had a goal inside the final 5 seconds! First, O’Connell came to Robo under the lights - important as both teams looked blind at times as more balls were loose then when the ball pit ruptured at Chucky Cheese. It was 4-3 Robo but they got two late to lead 6-4. Rams went the length of the field without a Knight taking a professional foul & scored the 7th with 5 on the clock. The next night it was again the Knights on the road this time at the wreckage of year five(?) of the Oakton HS renovation. Very tight game as the Knights improved under the lights as they never play later than 4:30PM in the CAC, only night game @ George Mason HS at the end of the season. It was 6-6 until the Knights got the important last goal with 3 seconds left for a final score of 7-6. Last night Yorktown came to “The Pat” with a big squad & beat up on the Cavs as few teams have. I had it 13-3 Patriots knocking one girl out of the game (to emergency room) & never letting the Cavs get going. I think Coach Tran has it going this year & I wouldn’t bet against them. They scored with 2 seconds left & rushed the field celebrating so stand by as they already have the last Field Hockey State Championship. I was going to look at their schedule but the Yorktown website has been down today! I think Rams, Cougs, Knights & Cavs most of all have work to do before the season.
Yorktown 13 Woodson 3 ?! Is Yorktown that strong or has Woodson dropped off that much? Maybe Coach Lewis knew what was coming and got out at just the right time. 🤔Heard Langley lost to Potomac on Saturday. Potomac jumped out to a 7-2 lead., not sure of the final score. But, hearing Potomac by 3-4.
Did Robinson and Riverside lock horns (like how I did that?) last night? Anyone?
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

Woodson is missingA couple of starters due to injury. But I doubt it Would have helped them that much. But they would have at least made it a tighter game.

Riverside won 17-11
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

T.Kornheiser wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:59 am
Yorktown 13 Woodson 3 ?! Is Yorktown that strong or has Woodson dropped off that much? Maybe Coach Lewis knew what was coming and got out at just the right time. 🤔Heard Langley lost to Potomac on Saturday. Potomac jumped out to a 7-2 lead., not sure of the final score. But, hearing Potomac by 3-4.
Did Robinson and Riverside lock horns (like how I did that?) last night? Anyone?
I think Yorktown is good.
VAMomGlax19

Post by VAMomGlax19 »

Anyone know how the BI/Dominion game went.
BallDown

Post by BallDown »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:10 am
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:40 pm Add one more to the list.

Monday, 3/7:

BI @ Dominion
now that will be a game to watch
…indeed it was.

Can’t tell too much, because it’s “just a scrimmage”…right? Both teams used their dressed benches (Dominion 3-4 girls including a goalie, BI 10-12 girls, no goalie), and the team with the lead at the end did not play stall ball in the closing minutes. Other than that, the atmosphere and tempo felt just like the championship game at Fall Brawl when these two last met. Lacrosse, a game of runs. BI went up quickly 3-1, Dom tied it 3-3. BI up 10-6 at half - their speed, depth and conditioning showed in the transition all game, but especially in the first half; then again late in the game. 11-6 early in the second before Dom ran off 5 to tie it 11-11. BI countered with their own run to make 15-11. Card trouble caught up with BI, played down a player for a large portion of the second half (at least 6-7 cards for BI, 2-3 for Dom; calls were balanced on both teams, but one ref certainly called all play very tight). Dom got a couple back to get it within 2 and then the teams traded goals as time wound down. Final BI 18, Dom 17. Time will tell how these two teams do going forward, but they certainly both got the challenge they were looking for to start the 2022 season.

Editor’s Note: Have always enjoyed the entertaining and descriptive write-ups by the Usual 6A Suspects on this forum, figured it was now my turn to step up and contribute. On that note: Out in West Virginia…ahem, Loudoun County….No concessions, No Chic Fil A, No BBQ … but at least no heavy storms, no admission fees and no porta potties (bathrooms were open).
StackO

Post by StackO »

Very nice write up!

I guess we see if Battlefield is for real tomorrow night against Riverside.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

VA-GLaxFan wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:54 am
Riverside won 17-11
I know Robinson was without their top player in the scrimmage as she was at their state semi-final girls basketball game last night. Not sure about others, as I see Riverside had a basketball semi-final as well. So not sure how much you can take away from this one.

Don't the basketball schedulers know it's lacrosse season? :lol:
VAMomGlax19

Post by VAMomGlax19 »

StackO wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:21 am Very nice write up!

I guess we see if Battlefield is for real tomorrow night against Riverside.
Battlefield will most likely take that game. Heard Riverside will be missing a third of their starters. They apparently were missing several for the Robinson game as well.

Agree with PP, it hard to tell what you can take away from these scrimmages given teams are working players in and out of lineups, injuries, and other sports commitments.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Corporal Punishment on Military Road...

Made the long drive into DC & up Rock Creek Parkway to the St. John’s College High School for a scrimmage. Nice facility but I’d estimate the field was much like the "Forget the Titans Name" Middle School field, missing 20 yards between the restraining lines, no snack bar but nice stadium restrooms! The Cadets put a whipping on the Cavs running the clock on WT Woodson 15-1. Down 4 starters it was rough as Coach Urick’s team was deep & talented. The Cadets are probably not as good as SJC’s nation’s #1 ranked Boys lacrosse team but they are strong in all facets. The Cavs will have to get healthy in a week’s time when the games really count. Coach Schneider has seen some dynamic offenses having to play a ton of defense. At least no more head injuries like the Yorktown game as the Cadets had the bad luck with a catastrophic off-ball non-contact knee injury.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Shorthanded...

BallDown wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:54 am Card trouble caught up with BI, played down a player for a large portion of the second half (at least 6-7 cards for BI, 2-3 for Dom; calls were balanced on both teams, but one ref certainly called all play very tight).
BD was it 12 v 10 or 12 v 9 at the end?
T.Kornheiser

Re: Corporal Punishment on Military Road...

Post by T.Kornheiser »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:16 am Made the long drive into DC & up Rock Creek Parkway to the St. John’s College High School for a scrimmage. Nice facility but I’d estimate the field was much like the "Forget the Titans Name" Middle School field, missing 20 yards between the restraining lines, no snack bar but nice stadium restrooms! The Cadets put a whipping on the Cavs running the clock on WT Woodson 15-1. Down 4 starters it was rough as Coach Urick’s team was deep & talented. The Cadets are probably not as good as SJC’s nation’s #1 ranked Boys lacrosse team but they are strong in all facets. The Cavs will have to get healthy in a week’s time when the games really count. Coach Schneider has seen some dynamic offenses having to play a ton of defense. At least no more head injuries like the Yorktown game as the Cadets had the bad luck with a catastrophic off-ball non-contact knee injury.
UAO- that is some dedication on your part making that drive with the escalating gas prices now at over $4.00 per gallon!! (Let's go Brandon!) I hope Coach Schneider let you borrow the WT Woodson company credit card to fuel up before you made the 44 mile drive round trip!
BallDown

Re: Shorthanded...

Post by BallDown »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:27 am
BallDown wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:54 am Card trouble caught up with BI, played down a player for a large portion of the second half (at least 6-7 cards for BI, 2-3 for Dom; calls were balanced on both teams, but one ref certainly called all play very tight).
BD was it 12 v 10 or 12 v 9 at the end?
12 v 11. It was never “less” than 12 v 10 (which i think happened 2 times, maybe 3). I.E.: the refs (and coaches?) did not remove the extra player for each subsequent yellow. It was clear that the one ref was calling the NFHS Point of Emphasis on “Rough and Dangerous Play”. E.G.: Cross check in the back from sliding defender sent you off the field.

One other game note: The clock was being stopped on every whistle in the first half by the booth. Not sure when the field figured that out, but it really lengthened the game. Game lasted over 2 hours.
Last edited by BallDown on Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
VAMomGlax19

Post by VAMomGlax19 »

So did BI play 10v12? For how long? And they still managed to win?

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”