Connecticut 2022

HS Boys Lacrosse
jmct

Re: Connecticut 2022

Post by jmct »

random observer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:33 pm 15-9 final, but Darien called off the dogs early in the second half -- not much to read into because of the Ridgefield injuries. To my eyes the missing players were DeGrasse, Prohazska, and Steffens, and Winkler took a knock too during the game. Very concerning heading into a big matchup against Manhasset.
Also missing is DM JoJo Misurelli, who was HM All-FCIAC last year. He is out for the year but I'm not sure of the nature of the injury. Counting Winkler, the injury list includes five who made some level of All-FCIAC as juniors.
random observer

Post by random observer »

jmct wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:31 pm
random observer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:33 pm 15-9 final, but Darien called off the dogs early in the second half -- not much to read into because of the Ridgefield injuries. To my eyes the missing players were DeGrasse, Prohazska, and Steffens, and Winkler took a knock too during the game. Very concerning heading into a big matchup against Manhasset.
Also missing is DM JoJo Misurelli, who was HM All-FCIAC last year. He is out for the year but I'm not sure of the nature of the injury. Counting Winkler, the injury list includes five who made some level of All-FCIAC as juniors.
No disrespect to Misurelli who is a good player, but the HM all-FCIAC list is almost 50 names long, and that's after a first team, second team, All-East, and All-West. It's a loss but one a team as purportedly good as Ridgefield should be able to recover from. Steffens is a bigger loss, but it's the other three that are season changing if they are long-term; Prohazska, Winkler, and DeGrasse are Ridgefield's three best players not named Colsey. I'm not optimistic that they can hang with Manhasset without at least two of those guys back.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

NC 11-10 over Darien. Didn't see that coming. Obviously rivalry games involve more emotion and tend to have more unexpected results, but this is still a big head scratcher especially with Darien win over Chaminade.
random observer

fritz44 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:40 pm NC 11-10 over Darien. Didn't see that coming. Obviously rivalry games involve more emotion and tend to have more unexpected results, but this is still a big head scratcher especially with Darien win over Chaminade.
The scoreline doesn't do justice to how thoroughly NC outplayed, out-hustled, and out-coached Darien today. It was 11-5 going into the fourth quarter and then NC started running clock, which blunted their momentum. On a day where Darien was sharper and played with more urgency, they might have come all the way back. But they really didn't show any urgency on offense until the last 3 minutes or so when they were still down 11-7, where they went quickly and started winning face-offs. Before that they were taking their sweet time and burned a lot of clock unnecessarily that they needed at the end. Still, they had the ball with 30 seconds left and a chance to tie, which would have seemed unthinkable 5 minutes beforehand.

NC scored off the opening face-off and never looked back. It's kind of hard to believe this was a one goal game considering NC looked better in pretty much every facet; they shot better, played cleaner, won more face-offs, got more saves, and won all the 50/50 ground balls. Stephens did a great job on Minicus, and the rest of the Darien team was really sloppy in handling the ball. A very listless performance from an offense that looked red hot coming in (New Canaan's defense is a cut or two above Chaminade's or Ridgefield's depleted line up however). The one guy for Darien who played well was Cesare, who gets less attention but is the team's best and most versatile midfielder. Carter Connors ran riot for NC; Darien had problems all day with his shiftiness, and his ability to beat his man put a lot of stress on Darien's already shaky slide packages. It took the coaching staff for the Wave far too long to adjust; they didn't put Evanchick on him until after he had burned them for four goals. The Darien goalie passes the ball cleanly and is very good in tight, where he made some quality doorstep saves. But he struggles tracking the ball on time and room shots and with high shots; as more teams scout the Wave this will be a weakness that can be exploited.
Blue White

Post by Blue White »

Any color on the Ridgefield v Wilton game? Stream got cut. Ridgefield looks to have gotten its middies back, but still down the game-changing LSM and others on D while Wilton without the big-mid #19. Hope the seniors for both squads are on the mend for sooner rather than later.

From the Ruden report write-up it looks like a matter of Wilton getting a ton of possession.
random observer

Mixed bag in the out-of-state matchups yesterday.

Wilton laid a massive egg against Chaminade, losing 17-5. Hard to believe that score after watching Chaminade struggle with Iona Prep and get pushed around by Darien. Lots of turnovers and poor shooting, and the Flyers left the defense spinning on a number of occasions. Masterson still out as far as I can tell.

Darien squeaked by Yorktown 9-8 in 2OT. They are playing some of the most uninspired lacrosse I've seen out of a Wave team in some time. Yorktown went into a zone early and it stopped Darien's offense cold; in additional to woeful shooting, some of their lauded players struggled catching simple passes. In the middle of the field they struggle on gbs and in the clearing game, so they're not getting many transition opportunities. The defense is still a work in progress, but it's' difficult to evaluate because they're not getting saves; man down opportunities almost always concede a goal.

Staples held serve with a convincing win over Massachusetts state champion St. John's Prep, winning 14-9. Don't have any color on the game other than that Staples never trailed. I've watched some of their other games and they move the ball at hyper speed and play clean lacrosse. They look to be the class of the state right now, and I'd go so far as to say it would surprise me if they don't beat Darien tomorrow.
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:33 am Mixed bag in the out-of-state matchups yesterday.

Wilton laid a massive egg against Chaminade, losing 17-5. Hard to believe that score after watching Chaminade struggle with Iona Prep and get pushed around by Darien. Lots of turnovers and poor shooting, and the Flyers left the defense spinning on a number of occasions. Masterson still out as far as I can tell.

Darien squeaked by Yorktown 9-8 in 2OT. They are playing some of the most uninspired lacrosse I've seen out of a Wave team in some time. Yorktown went into a zone early and it stopped Darien's offense cold; in additional to woeful shooting, some of their lauded players struggled catching simple passes. In the middle of the field they struggle on gbs and in the clearing game, so they're not getting many transition opportunities. The defense is still a work in progress, but it's' difficult to evaluate because they're not getting saves; man down opportunities almost always concede a goal.

Staples held serve with a convincing win over Massachusetts state champion St. John's Prep, winning 14-9. Don't have any color on the game other than that Staples never trailed. I've watched some of their other games and they move the ball at hyper speed and play clean lacrosse. They look to be the class of the state right now, and I'd go so far as to say it would surprise me if they don't beat Darien tomorrow.
Hearing Darien vs Staples game has been postponed.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:58 am
random observer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:33 am Mixed bag in the out-of-state matchups yesterday.

Any idea why? If it has to with Darien and CV-19, I fear the game against Manhasset is in jeopardy on Saturday then. Or does it has to do with Staples?

Joe
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Any idea why? If it has to with Darien and CV-19, I fear the game against Manhasset is in jeopardy on Saturday then. Or does it has to do with Staples?

Joe
No news with regard to that up here. Word is that there is a schedule conflict with a situation not related to lacrosse with regard to the school.

Your Saturday date is safe.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:20 pm

Joe
No news with regard to that up here. Word is that there is a schedule conflict with a situation not related to lacrosse with regard to the school.

Thanks, hopefully Staples and Darien will reschedule (Likely, as they are FCIAC opponents) Staples is looking very strong this year.

Joe
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Joe

Thanks, hopefully Staples and Darien will reschedule (Likely, as they are FCIAC opponents) Staples is looking very strong this year.

Joe
They will reschedule. Its a league contest.
You can check the CIAC website for their updated schedule.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kismet wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:46 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:34 pm

Joe

Joe
They will reschedule. Its a league contest.
You can check the CIAC website for their updated schedule.
Thanks, I often use that site, its very helpful.

Joe
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:43 pm Some CT Lax intrigue -
https://www.ctinsider.com/gametimect/ar ... 118612.php
Without a shot clock there is no reason for 28-2, with one it could happen. Kids who never see the field shouldn't be told don't score either though. It couldn't have been hard early on to see the game is a total mismatch and start draining some clock without embarrassing the opponent by passing up wide open opportunities.
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

CTlaxfan1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:43 pm Some CT Lax intrigue -
https://www.ctinsider.com/gametimect/ar ... 118612.php
I'm admittedly not too familiar with Fairfield, but how is there such a performance gap between Warde and Ludlowe? Warde is non-competitive according to this article and Ludlowe is ranked in the top 10. :o
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Congrats to Darien on a nice win today vs Manhasset. As someone not involved with the team, program, state, etc just wanted to pass on my best wishes to your legendary coach who doesn’t look like he’s in a good way. All the best and good luck this year
random observer

Definitely a concern to see Brameier operating from a cart, but at the very least it's encouraging to see him back on the sidelines after his absence from some of the early season games. Good win for Darien after some really poor performances; they definitely are not firing on all cylinders, but at least offensively they looked a bit sharper. The defense had some really good stretches but was still shaky at times, and the clearing/transition game continues to be uncharacteristically off. Goalie play was much improved, but still reads as a vulnerability to me.

I don't have any color from the game, but New Canaan notched another quality win 10-5 over Rumon-Fair Haven. RFH's only other loss was by a goal to NJ powerhouse Seton Hall Prep. Buzzeo's done a really good job with this group, and really seems to do his best work just when everyone is ready to write off his team for a down year. That Mamaroneck blowout is looking stronger with each passing game; that team might do damage in the NY State playoffs, where Class A looks wide open.

Staples came out flying against Wilton going up 5-0 in the first quarter, threatening to turn it into a blowout. But then Wilton recovered and made it a tense, low-scoring affair. Hard to get a read on these teams primarily because it's hard to get a read on Wilton; they've for the most part been very impressive so far this season even with Masterson missing time, but it's sandwiched around a Chaminade loss where they were absolutely smoked. My guess is that that scoreline is more of an aberration than the norm. Staples for their part still looks to me to be one of the lead contenders in the pack, and I'd put the coming matchup with Darien as a toss-up.

Elsewhere, Ridgefield beat up on Greenwich 14-8 (the midfielders have been back since the Darien game -- perhaps some of the defenders are back now too?), Ludlowe took care of Hand, and Cheshire continues to impress. Fairfield Prep has been a disappointment so far; competitive in every game against a quality schedule, but haven't come up with a signature win yet. They dug themselves a big hole out on LI against a solid Farmigndale team and couldn't claw all the way out.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

random observer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:39 pm Elsewhere, Ridgefield beat up on Greenwich 14-8 (the midfielders have been back since the Darien game -- perhaps some of the defenders are back now too?), Ludlowe took care of Hand, and Cheshire continues to impress. Fairfield Prep has been a disappointment so far; competitive in every game against a quality schedule, but haven't come up with a signature win yet. They dug themselves a big hole out on LI against a solid Farmigndale team and couldn't claw all the way out.
Cheshire does look good. I know it has always been this way but there are never any contenders east of Route 8 and North of 84 except for Cheshire (2002). During this century, Somers for Class S (2006, 2016-2017) and Glastonbury (No championships) for Class L are OK but they have seen better times. But besides those three teams, there really isnt any other teams; I wonder why.? I am sure much of it is money and resources as well as history and a long standing culture of excellence but you would think some town would develop that eventually and sustain it.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

justanotherperson wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:48 pm
random observer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:39 pm Elsewhere, Ridgefield beat up on Greenwich 14-8 (the midfielders have been back since the Darien game -- perhaps some of the defenders are back now too?), Ludlowe took care of Hand, and Cheshire continues to impress. Fairfield Prep has been a disappointment so far; competitive in every game against a quality schedule, but haven't come up with a signature win yet. They dug themselves a big hole out on LI against a solid Farmigndale team and couldn't claw all the way out.
Cheshire does look good. I know it has always been this way but there are never any contenders east of Route 8 and North of 84 except for Cheshire (2002). During this century, Somers for Class S (2006, 2016-2017) and Glastonbury (No championships) for Class L are OK but they have seen better times. But besides those three teams, there really isnt any other teams; I wonder why.? I am sure much of it is money and resources as well as history and a long standing culture of excellence but you would think some town would develop that eventually and sustain it.
Simsbury had a run of several years with strong teams but never really could get past the big boys in L in the tournament. Towns like Cheshire, Glastonbury, Simsbury, even Avon as a smaller one certainly don’t lack for money. The Burys do well in many sports, both are soccer powers. There are a ton of strong lax private schools in the area that kids can go to as day students. Plenty of FCIAC kids go to West-1 of course but primarily have to board, I think this keeps more home in the case of parents not wanting their kids to leave the house at 14. In that north-central part of the state, you can easily go day at 4 or 5 West-1 schools, I think that plays a role in their losing a lot of kids.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

That’s a great point. Plenty of private schools for sure. AOF, Choate, Loomis would probably be the best but there is Westy, Cheshire Academy and Kingswood as well. If you go west you get Taft which is not east of route 8 but certainly north of 84. I think the fact that they are soccer towns looms large which really hasn’t allowed them to develop a lax culture.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”