The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: The Boston College Eagles - 2021 National Champions

Post by Cletus »

Comparing Courtney Murphy’s 100 goals with Stony Brook in 2016 to North’s 102 in 2021

Bart wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:23 am
Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 am
As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.
If we are casting aspersions regarding the competition one could easily point to the 8 goals vs Albany, 7 goals vs Fairfield, 8 goals vs. Temple, 6 vs Hofstra and 10 vs VT (Murphy scored 9 vs UMass Lowell; 8 vs UMBC; 8 vs Binghamton; 8 vs Hofstra and 6 vs UNH) all teams that one may question your assertion as the best teams in the country.
BC played the #5 ranked team; #4 twice; #3 four times; and #1 twice. 9 games against the top 5 ranked teams. All in the ACC. That’s what I meant by the best teams in the country.

BC played 17 games against ranked opponents this year, 9 vs top five. SB played 7 games against ranked opponents in 2016, 2 vs top five.

RV Fairfield and Temple are Tournament teams. That is to North’s credit.
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:23 am Ms. North deserves the record, she put the ball in the back of the net. Ms. North, imo, deserves the Tewy as she had the best year. But building her up by casting dispersion on the competition the previous record holder is just stupid. If you look closely one can make the same conclusions......
As far as the goals:

In ’16, Murphy scored 48 of her 100 goals in conference.

Stony Brook had these in conference results in 2016. Goals scored by Murphy follow.

Albany 13-4 4g
UMBC 17-5 8g
Vermont 19-8 5g
Binghamton 16-0 8g
New Hampshire 11-4 4g
UMass Lowell 23-2 9g

NH 17-4 6g
Albany 10-9 4g

SB outscored in conf opponents 126 to 36

6 of the 7 other members of the ACC were ranked when BC played them in conference.

njbill

Post by njbill »

Yeah, but Murphy had a better assists to shots ratio. ;)
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 pm Yeah, but Murphy had a better assists to shots ratio. ;)
As my Irish friends would say, that’s good craic. Well played, NJB! :-)
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m glad to see you have recovered from your recent bender. I guess when your team wins the championship, you are entitled to celebrate. :lol:
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

The back and forth is highly entertaining, but North is getting that trophy.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:42 pm Comparing Courtney Murphy’s 100 goals with Stony Brook in 2016 to North’s 102 in 2021

As an aside--I'm delighted she broke the record for goals scored in a season. The previous record had all kinds of asterisks all over it coming from the weak sisters of the poor America East conference. With North setting the record against the best teams in the country, no one (rational) can question the validity of the single season goal scoring record.
If we are casting aspersions regarding the competition one could easily point to the 8 goals vs Albany, 7 goals vs Fairfield, 8 goals vs. Temple, 6 vs Hofstra and 10 vs VT (Murphy scored 9 vs UMass Lowell; 8 vs UMBC; 8 vs Binghamton; 8 vs Hofstra and 6 vs UNH) all teams that one may question your assertion as the best teams in the country.
BC played the #5 ranked team; #4 twice; #3 four times; and #1 twice. 9 games against the top 5 ranked teams. All in the ACC. That’s what I meant by the best teams in the country.

BC played 17 games against ranked opponents this year, 9 vs top five. SB played 7 games against ranked opponents in 2016, 2 vs top five.

RV Fairfield and Temple are Tournament teams. That is to North’s credit.
Bart wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:23 am Ms. North deserves the record, she put the ball in the back of the net. Ms. North, imo, deserves the Tewy as she had the best year. But building her up by casting dispersion on the competition the previous record holder is just stupid. If you look closely one can make the same conclusions......
As far as the goals:

In ’16, Murphy scored 48 of her 100 goals in conference.

Stony Brook had these in conference results in 2016. Goals scored by Murphy follow.

Albany 13-4 4g
UMBC 17-5 8g
Vermont 19-8 5g
Binghamton 16-0 8g
New Hampshire 11-4 4g
UMass Lowell 23-2 9g

NH 17-4 6g
Albany 10-9 4g

SB outscored in conf opponents 126 to 36

6 of the 7 other members of the ACC were ranked when BC played them in conference.

Just more sports talk radio BS sportspeak. You are tearing another players prior accomplishments to bolster Ms Norths. Which stand alone and do not need it.

It appears that you believe that 48 of 100 goals for Ms. Murphy deserve the asterisk. If that is the case we can apply that same asterisk to 24 (39 if you include Fairfield and Temple) of Ms. Norths goals and that somehow makes her record more legitimate. I think that is pure stupidity. You play who is on your schedule with the teammates you have. Both your schedule and teammates will ultimately dictate your final goal total. All goal scorers feast on weaker teams.

Ms North currently has the record for most goals scored during a season. (do we need to put an asterisk for the weird pandemic season?) She certainly deserves the credit to having the best goal scoring season ever. Prior to this the distinction was help by Ms Murphy and she deserved the credit for that.
Bart

Post by Bart »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:21 am The back and forth is highly entertaining, but North is getting that trophy.
Which she deserves.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Bart wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:21 am The back and forth is highly entertaining, but North is getting that trophy.
Which she deserves.
She was absolutely, no question, 💯 % the straw that stirs the drink on the team that won the national championship.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Bart wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 am Just more sports talk radio BS sportspeak. You are tearing another players prior accomplishments to bolster Ms Norths. Which stand alone and do not need it.

It appears that you believe that 48 of 100 goals for Ms. Murphy deserve the asterisk. If that is the case we can apply that same asterisk to 24 (39 if you include Fairfield and Temple) of Ms. Norths goals and that somehow makes her record more legitimate. I think that is pure stupidity. You play who is on your schedule with the teammates you have. Both your schedule and teammates will ultimately dictate your final goal total. All goal scorers feast on weaker teams.

Ms North currently has the record for most goals scored during a season. (do we need to put an asterisk for the weird pandemic season?) She certainly deserves the credit to having the best goal scoring season ever. Prior to this the distinction was help by Ms Murphy and she deserved the credit for that.
I can give my opinion, and frame my perspective about said opinion in any manner I please. If anyone doesn't appreciate that opinion framed by that perspective, they are free to write their own. Plenty of paper and pens here at ol’ LaxPower Back-Up Stick. it’s the Same Party, just at a Different House, doncha know.

And don't forget, now—

“Discuss issues, not post-ers. If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches… you've come to the wrong forum.”

— Admin

Last edited by Cletus on Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Cletus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:21 am
Bart wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:31 am Just more sports talk radio BS sportspeak. You are tearing another players prior accomplishments to bolster Ms Norths. Which stand alone and do not need it.

I can give my opinion, and frame my perspective about said opinion in any manner I please. If anyone doesn't appreciate that opinion framed by that perspective, they are free to write their own. Plenty of paper and pens here at ol’ LaxPower Back-Up Stick. it’s the Same Party, just at a Different House, doncha know.

And don't forget, now—

“Discuss issues, not post-ers. If you don't like reading people's opinions about lacrosse teams, players, and coaches… you've come to the wrong forum.”

— Admin

post as you like. I really do not care. I will post a reply I fell is appropriate to that post.

I find it amusing that you like to trot out the forum posting rules only when people disagree with your take. It cuts both ways, don't like what I write, don't read it.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Should the record have an asterisk given that Scane played 5 fewer games due to B10 scheduling and finished with 98 goals? She would likely have obliterated the record given her GPG numbers. But no one would have liked that either.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

We’ll burn that bridge when we get to it. 😉
njbill

Post by njbill »

Ah, the Ford Frick asterisk makes its second appearance of the year.

Subjective views of fairness or unfairness, what ifs, etc. don’t really count. The record is goals in a season, and now North has it. Congratulations to her for that.

Scane will get one and maybe two more chances to break the record. Maybe she will. We’ll see.

In any event, this isn’t a record like Cy Young’s (Boston reference for Cletus’s benefit) 511 wins. It will be broken sooner or later.

In high school, New York girls are permitted to play 12 varsity seasons (OK, really only six). Does that give them an “unfair” advantage because they have six years as opposed to four to score goals? Sure, in the eyes of players (and their parents of course) from other states. Records are nice, but I think some people make way too big a deal about them.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:18 pm Ah, the Ford Frick asterisk makes its second appearance of the year.

Learned that reference from you, Bill. Love collecting sports anecdotes (and asterisk's 😉 )

Subjective views of fairness or unfairness, what ifs, etc. don’t really count. The record is goals in a season, and now North has it. Congratulations to her for that.

Scane will get one and maybe two more chances to break the record. Maybe she will. We’ll see.

In any event, this isn’t a record like Cy Young’s (Boston reference for Cletus’s benefit) 511 wins. It will be broken sooner or later.

Without a doubt--maybe even next year.

In high school, New York girls are permitted to play 12 varsity seasons (OK, really only six). Does that give them an “unfair” advantage because they have six years as opposed to four to score goals? Sure, in the eyes of players (and their parents of course) from other states. Records are nice, but I think some people make way too big a deal about them.
True. Good stuff.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:18 pm Ah, the Ford Frick asterisk makes its second appearance of the year.

If Scane stays healthy (fingers crossed), I expect she will break the scoring record next year. It may take an extraordinary number of shots to do it, but as the Great One said: You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Let 'em fly, Izzy. It seems to work just fine for NU in the stats that matter most, wins & losses.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

North is coming back for next year
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Wont question the validity of the record, she got the goals and deserves the record. I would not question the validity of the previous record either.

If we are casting aspersions regarding the competition one could easily point to the 8 goals vs Albany, 7 goals vs Fairfield, 8 goals vs. Temple, 6 vs Hofstra and 10 vs VT all teams that one may question your assertion as the best teams in the country.

Ms. North deserves the record, she put the ball in the back of the net. Ms. North, imo, deserves the Tewy as she had the best year. But building her up by casting dispersion on the competition the previous record holder is just stupid. If you look closely one can make the same conclusions......
very well said +1
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:54 am I can see why others on here are continually trying to discredit North. She's a great player, and she's flashy. She's in your face. So if you don't like BC because BC knocked off your team, it's a natural (albeit base) reaction. She's the player you'd love to have on your team, but you hate on the opposition. Wasted energy though. Instead of appreciating what she's done this year, time is spent combing and combing for nits. Pretty sad and pathetic.

Beat teams in the country??? No, just no. Temple?? Fairfield? VT? Albany ? Wow …slow your roll dude and just say “teams”.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:50 pm
Beat teams in the country??? No, just no. Temple?? Fairfield? VT? Albany ? Wow …slow your roll dude and just say “teams”.
RV Fairfield and #17/19 Temple are Tournament teams. You don't just get into The Tournament.

BC plays in the ACC. The unquestioned top conference. Six of the other seven members of the conference were ranked when BC played them.

BC played #5 ND once; #4 ND twice; #3 Syracuse four times; and #1 Carolina twice. 9 games against the top 5 ranked teams. That’s what I meant by the best teams in the country.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”