Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by rolldodge »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am Agreed on the UMD ND comment; many more egregious fouls than anything we saw in UVA GU game. And how about that neck wrap at the end in the Duke Loyola game? Truly dangerous.

I think, however, that your point's been made...and other than the specific, and IMO unnecessary, crack, and its repetition, the posts were reasonable, realistic and forward looking...I think that's the better course for discussion on this thread...IMO.
I've heard it said a number of times that the officials take the cuffs off when it comes to playoff time. The top coaches take advantage of this (for better or worse).
Last edited by rolldodge on Mon May 24, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Odd to me that there is not a single post on the UVA thread since April 13th! How about congrats to the boys, the coaches, let’s go get UNC in the semis. Zero of that but your focus is on the language around how a hit in the QFs should be perceived?

Congrats on the win. UVA was the better team. Good luck Saturday. Now let’s leave this to discussion of the Hoyas and 2022!
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Unless it turns to Johns Hopkins, as Bluejay posters often will. :D
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK25 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:06 am UVA was bigger and more physical period. Reilly down hurt clearly but Hoyas weren’t winning that game either way after the tone was set early. Smith and McElroy are back. Would look for Hoyas to be more active in transfer game this offseason beyond Bowen. Sometimes you need to knock on the door before you can kick it in. Tough way to end the year but I think the UVA game made it clear to Hoyas what it takes to get to the elite tier. Let’s not forget this team had no fall ball, no weight room and no locker room. Not an excuse but with all that back in place , ton of talent returning, great freshman class and what i’d expect to be another 1-2 difference makers from transfer portal 2022 can hopefully be a special year.
I agree we're only a couple pieces away from the next step. We'll see what the coaching staff does but the foundation is there. 7 of the top 10 in points are coming back as is Geddes, Reilly, and we're adding Bowen.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK25 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:06 am UVA was bigger and more physical period. Reilly down hurt clearly but Hoyas weren’t winning that game either way after the tone was set early. Smith and McElroy are back. Would look for Hoyas to be more active in transfer game this offseason beyond Bowen. Sometimes you need to knock on the door before you can kick it in. Tough way to end the year but I think the UVA game made it clear to Hoyas what it takes to get to the elite tier. Let’s not forget this team had no fall ball, no weight room and no locker room. Not an excuse but with all that back in place , ton of talent returning, great freshman class and what i’d expect to be another 1-2 difference makers from transfer portal 2022 can hopefully be a special year.
Thanks for returning this thread to the forward looking topic of 2022.

Great news that Smith and McElroy will be back. A close D of Smith, Bowen, Donaldson and Tominovich, and the SSM crew of Geddes, Godine, Leary, and Hess as a 2-way threat will be very strong. As for the transfer portal, I can see the need for a dodging A and quality depth at the offensive midfield. As annoying as it was to see Rutgers, ND and Duke with multiple major portal transfers this year, you may as well join in this if this is a "new norm", if a staff chooses carefully based upon need and compatibility.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Hoya wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:35 am
I agree we're only a couple pieces away from the next step. We'll see what the coaching staff does but the foundation is there. 7 of the top 10 in points are coming back as is Geddes, Reilly, and we're adding Bowen.
Defensively, we are very solid. If Smith and McElroy come back for another year, with Bowen, we are elite. D-midfield strong and loses no one. All Big East first team Mazzone returns at LSM.

First midfield is very solid with Bundy, McDermott, Hess returning. I think Thompson still has a higher ceiling and could make a statement as a senior. Does Geddes get to play some offensive midfield ala Hess this year?

Faceoffs: Reilly back makes this a strong point. Will need to further develop other options.

Attack: Haley is going to need to take the next step to becoming a scoring threat. A summer and fall in the weight room should help. Watson started strong on return from his injury, but sort of fell off as the season progressed. He has the tools to be an elite finisher. Who will be the third attackman? Tough to have an elite level attack without a strong senior leader.

Are there any recruits coming in that could make an immediate impact?
Last edited by rolldodge on Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:48 am
Thanks for returning this thread to the forward looking topic of 2022.

Great news that Smith and McElroy will be back. A close D of Smith, Bowen, Donaldson and Tominovich, and the SSM crew of Geddes, Godine, Leary, and Hess as a 2-way threat will be very strong. As for the transfer portal, I can see the need for a dodging A and quality depth at the offensive midfield. As annoying as it was to see Rutgers, ND and Duke with multiple major portal transfers this year, you may as well join in this if this is a "new norm", if a staff chooses carefully based upon need and compatibility.
I think we could have done a better job in the transfer portal last year, and I think this year its clear that it is imperative to bring in a big piece or two.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Are there any big pieces out there right now in the portal? Maybe we won’t know that til after Memorial Day
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Khan is a big one.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HGK25 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am Khan is a big one.
Good point,

Khan would fit in well here.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:25 am
HGK25 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:08 am Khan is a big one.
Good point,

Khan would fit in well here.
I agree. I'd love to see him as a Hoya.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

I don't know this for sure, but my sense is that Georgetown is at a disadvantage at an Athletic Department level when it comes to getting transfer students in. Feels like there are more hoops and restrictions than some other schools. Plus, the breadth of potential graduate programs is (I think) more limited than someplace like Duke or UNC. My guess is that this played a role in not landing Sowers or Morill last season (two elite transfers whose names were in the mix for Gtown). While I don't love the whole mercenary nature of it, it seems like something that will be what is for the next few years. Hopefully we can figure out a way to make it happen this year. This is by no means meant as disrespect to Petkevich, who I thought was a great addition and played especially well down the stretch.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Can’t imagine Khan would want to go to Gtown considering their rivalry with Villanova
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:09 pm Can’t imagine Khan would want to go to Gtown considering their rivalry with Villanova
I'd hope we would still have a strong argument but Khan will have a lot of choices. If he doesn't want to go to a rival he'll find another great school.

It will be interesting to see what happens with D3. There are some excellent senior attack players at places like Tufts, RIT, etc.
random observer

Post by random observer »

rolldodge wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:53 am
Hoya wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:35 am
Defensively, we are very solid. If Smith and McElroy come back for another year, with Bowen, we are elite. D-midfield strong and loses no one. All Big East first team Mazzone returns at LSM.

First midfield is very solid with Bundy, McDermott, Hess returning. I think Thompson still has a higher ceiling and could make a statement as a senior. Does Geddes get to play some offensive midfield ala Hess this year?

Faceoffs: Reilly back makes this a strong point. Will need to further develop other options.

Attack: Haley is going to need to take the next step to becoming a scoring threat. A summer and fall in the weight room should help. Watson started strong on return from his injury, but sort of fell off as the season progressed. He has the tools to be an elite finisher. Who will be the third attackman? Tough to have an elite level attack without a strong senior leader.

Are there any recruits coming in that could make an immediate impact?
Two top 50 attack recruits (as of the 9/1 list in 2019, so grain of salt) coming in Cade Caggiano and Holt Matheis.

#37 recruit Caggiano is a spark plug from the wing out of North Carolina, who reminds me a lot of Will Manny. Has good "bounce" in his dodging -- he can slash or roll back from that wing like a Manny or Connor English -- and has a strong midrange shot. But he's a lefty (and not particularly ambidextrous from the footage I've seen), so may not be the right fit for that third spot.

#46 recruit Matheis is the younger brother of former Duke 4-year starter and #1 recruit Case Matheis out of Darien, and plays a lot like him; terrific dodger and feeder with great COD who can can finish in tight with either hand, but perhaps not great range as a shooter. Great quarterback from X, but could be a good fit on the righty wing, as that's where he's played for Darien this year on a line with two lefties. Having said that I don't think you can just pencil him in either despite his pedigree, as he's actually pretty green in terms of starting varsity experience: didn't start as a sophomore playing for a big time program, lost his junior year to covid, and has only played in 5 or 6 games this year due to hamstring injuries (but has looked really good when on the field).
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Austin Madronic from Harvard is another guy that could fill the attack spot well.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Is there any word on potential grad (or other) transfers to GU? Rutgers and ND have been very active, and MD and Duke each picked up a top Ivy grad transfer. I do not see much of a need for GU given the returning talent and a solid incoming class. However, the attack may need some experienced help and depth at offensive midfield is always a plus.
Last edited by Jldlax on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

You do have Bowen from Carolina on defense
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Jldlax wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:47 am
Is there any word on potential grad (or other) transfers to GU? Rutgers and ND have been very active, and MD and Duke each picked up a top Ivy grad transfer. I do not see much of a need for GU given the returning talent and a solid incoming class. However, the attack may need some experienced help and depth at office midfield is always a plus.
I've heard Alex Trippi from North Carolina is probably going to Georgetown. Not confirmed or anything but that's been the smoke. He could slot in well as another ball carrier alongside Haley.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 pm
Jldlax wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:47 am
Is there any word on potential grad (or other) transfers to GU? Rutgers and ND have been very active, and MD and Duke each picked up a top Ivy grad transfer. I do not see much of a need for GU given the returning talent and a solid incoming class. However, the attack may need some experienced help and depth at office midfield is always a plus.
I've heard Alex Trippi from North Carolina is probably going to Georgetown. Not confirmed or anything but that's been the smoke. He could slot in well as another ball carrier alongside Haley.
Trippi put out a IG the other day that seem like a good bye to UNC.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”