UVA versus UNC

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Bacondoesstuff

Re: UVA versus UNC

Post by Bacondoesstuff »

UVA defense is good. They're big dudes, eat up space. I think very tall defenseman can have issues with smaller attackmen bc they can't match feet, change direction as quickly...but this defense looked outstanding last week. I think they're the difference in the game.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Bacondoesstuff wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 am UVA defense is good. They're big dudes, eat up space. I think very tall defenseman can have issues with smaller attackmen bc they can't match feet, change direction as quickly...but this defense looked outstanding last week. I think they're the difference in the game.
Posted at the start of UVA- Bryant thread that UVA defense was much better than any adjusted defensive ranking and that their size on defense makes a difference

Responses in thread were that their defense was meh, poor off ball, not good all year etc and then read some sarcasm during Bryant game .

Interesting to see how the tune changed about their D after that demolition of Georgetown where they just swallowed up Carraway and others

Outcomes are not only about personnel but matchups and execution. UNC looked tight last week being favorites while UVA looked comfortable being underdogs. One executed one didnt .

Not sure last week matters much between these two. UNC making FF should settle and they know UVA well and vice versa. Both teams have looked clearly superior at times to each in their two games.

UNC has the personnel and approach to score on UVA , they ride just as well and are as deep. Wonder about Cook status. UVA is experienced , talent laden and a bigger and more physical team.

Real tossup . Give my pick later in week.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

For the past umpteen years, the Final Four has been 3 Perennial Powers and one non-Perrenial power. And these non-Perrenials do win but, pre-game, it seems more likely that Duke or UNC or whoever is going to win. i.e. In terms of pre-game predictions, I don't remember a year when I was so unsure about the game winners like we have this year.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

bananas wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 11:34 am
Bacondoesstuff wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:55 am UVA defense is good. They're big dudes, eat up space. I think very tall defenseman can have issues with smaller attackmen bc they can't match feet, change direction as quickly...but this defense looked outstanding last week. I think they're the difference in the game.
Posted at the start of UVA- Bryant thread that UVA defense was much better than any adjusted defensive ranking and that their size on defense makes a difference

Responses in thread were that their defense was meh, poor off ball, not good all year etc and then read some sarcasm during Bryant game .

Interesting to see how the tune changed about their D after that demolition of Georgetown where they just swallowed up Carraway and others

Outcomes are not only about personnel but matchups and execution. UNC looked tight last week being favorites while UVA looked comfortable being underdogs. One executed one didnt .

Not sure last week matters much between these two. UNC making FF should settle and they know UVA well and vice versa. Both teams have looked clearly superior at times to each in their two games.

UNC has the personnel and approach to score on UVA , they ride just as well and are as deep. Wonder about Cook status. UVA is experienced , talent laden and a bigger and more physical team.

Real tossup . Give my pick later in week.
Underdogs???? Virginia was seeded and ranked ahead of Georgetown, with more Lax tradition and more experience, playing against a more difficult schedule. Everyone, at Virginia expected to eventually win that game, despite Cuse getting spanked. No issue with your other points. UNC is a much tougher order so agree could go either way.
Last edited by blue angels on Tue May 25, 2021 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Georgetown didn't have a single offensive threat that could win a one-on-one match up against UVA, so UVA had little concerns about sliding. That meant their off-ball defense was sound, because, you know, they didn't have to worry about sliding and didn't get caught ball-watching.

That won't be the case against UNC. UNC put up 16 goals in each game against UVA. Not only can Gray draw slides, but now you have Tillman emerging. That frees up Kelly to roam and find spots to shoot. I really like UNC's midfield in this game (and pretty much every game).

At the other end, Schellenberger is the guy I'm watching most. If he continues to play the way he did last week, UVA is going to put up a lot of goals. He and Moore can play anywhere on the field, so they're so hard to key in on.

I'm taking UNC in this game because I still think they're the most athletic team in the entire nation. If UVA is able to out-athlete and out-muscle UNC in the way they did against Georgetown, then tip of the cap to to UVA.

I've gotten my hopes up before that we'll see a 18-16 kind of game in the tournament, and we haven't...yet. I hope this is the game where we see it. The effort and hustle from these two teams all year has been amazing. I'd pay just to watch each team ride.
UVAlaxfan

Post by UVAlaxfan »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:09 pm Georgetown didn't have a single offensive threat that could win a one-on-one match up against UVA, so UVA had little concerns about sliding. That meant their off-ball defense was sound, because, you know, they didn't have to worry about sliding and didn't get caught ball-watching.

That won't be the case against UNC. UNC put up 16 goals in each game against UVA. Not only can Gray draw slides, but now you have Tillman emerging. That frees up Kelly to roam and find spots to shoot. I really like UNC's midfield in this game (and pretty much every game).

At the other end, Schellenberger is the guy I'm watching most. If he continues to play the way he did last week, UVA is going to put up a lot of goals. He and Moore can play anywhere on the field, so they're so hard to key in on.

I'm taking UNC in this game because I still think they're the most athletic team in the entire nation. If UVA is able to out-athlete and out-muscle UNC in the way they did against Georgetown, then tip of the cap to to UVA.

I've gotten my hopes up before that we'll see a 18-16 kind of game in the tournament, and we haven't...yet. I hope this is the game where we see it. The effort and hustle from these two teams all year has been amazing. I'd pay just to watch each team ride.

I agree that it is not safe to assume UVA's off ball issues are now covered. Played well againg G-town but I saw a couple of lapses that G-town didn't take advantage of. I expect both teams to score a lot. Weill be interesting to see how much the new defender, Cole Kastnerm, for UVA changes things against UNC.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

tech37 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:06 am
blue angels wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:19 am I think uva wins easily. Their dinosaur defenders have improved since the last time they played, as have their offensive stars.
I don’t expect anything to come easy for any of the 4 teams. All 4 are very complete and it may come down to a hot goalie, face off man, coaching, or similar as to who wins. Regardless of that, the 1 change for Virginia, since their last meeting, is the insertion of the 6 7”monster 1st year Kaestner as the #1 cover at Close D. He dominated Georgetown’s Teewarton finalist, Caraway in the last game. Caraway finished with 1 assist and 6 turnovers. I am assuming he draws Chris Gray, who is even better. That will be an interesting match up to watch.
I think Carraway was a bit too over-the-top with his goal celebrations vs SU. Kaestner + karma? ;)
You mad bro!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

Wheels wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:09 pm Georgetown didn't have a single offensive threat that could win a one-on-one match up against UVA, so UVA had little concerns about sliding. That meant their off-ball defense was sound, because, you know, they didn't have to worry about sliding and didn't get caught ball-watching.

this is the rubber match 1-1 so far with agg score 32-31 UNC

you got your wish last time out 18-16 UVA
https://goheels.com/sports/mens-lacross ... core/21872

They combined for 95 shots :shock:

Get the popcorn ready

over/under 28.5
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tillman scares me. would like to see him still being spot played by breschi. he's gaining confidence.

and lasalla has to be back in a groove off last week. hopefully, it's matchups with him and he can do it again.

saturday will be the test whether the d has stepped up.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tillman get the start. He had as many goals as all the starters combined against Rutgers. At the very least I think he will be in that 4th attack slot that Brian Cameron has been in.

The first midfield could use Tanner Cook back. Herbert definitely has potential but hasn't really been able to turn that into point production.

Can Tucci/Tyeryar fare any better against Lasalla this time around? Not being able to win any face-offs down the stretch was a big reason why Carolina lost in that second game. It's the only position where I think Virginia seems to have the edge. These two teams seem very evenly matched everywhere else.
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Think it all comes down to the UNC offense and if Tanner Cook is back and close 100%. Apart from Tillman and Anderson I do not think the UNC offense played well against Rutgers (Part of that is I think Kirst got in their heads and they tried to make every too perfect). The ball movement was not as quick as it usually is and it seemed more reliant on winning 1v1. That won't work against UVa's defense who is playing with a ton of confidence on ball right now.

Faceoffs will be important, but not the #1 thing due to the ability of both teams to ride. Think the team that clears the ball better will have an advantage.

Also who plays better in cage-the experience Rode or the young freshmen Krieg?

I give UVA the slight edge going into the game based on their defense improvement (as well as Moore and Aitken rounding into form) and the question marks around Cook.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

UNC 17
UVA 16

OT - Perry with the outside snipe for the win
molo

Post by molo »

Too bad this is going to be played in bad weather as the team I’ve had as number most of the season meets the team I think is going to win the NC.
bananas

Post by bananas »

After much deliberation ..

Knights shook and woke up the second best team in lacrosse last week while UVA had a cakewalk.

UNC 15 UVA 13
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

bananas wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:58 am After much deliberation ..

Knights shook and woke up the second best team in lacrosse last week while UVA had a cakewalk.

UNC 15 UVA 13
I want to thank you..... Am hoping this matches your prior picks..
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That is a seriously nice field for lacrosse,

bounce shots, no problem at least for now.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ginny D has got some awesome size and can wear down Heels with their power. But do they have the quickness to keep up with the attack?

Time will tell ...
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
random observer

Post by random observer »

With Cook out, Tillman should be starting on that first midfield line. Herbert just doesn't have it at this point.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

10stone5 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:16 pm That is a seriously nice field for lacrosse,

bounce shots, no problem at least for now.
Love watching lax on natural grass, with no excess (football) lines.

Let's see if the Heels' goalie has found his zone.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

random observer wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:24 pm With Cook out, Tillman should be starting on that first midfield line. Herbert just doesn't have it at this point.
shhhhh.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”