Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think the only possible downside to switching DeSimone to the X role - the role he is clearly best suited for - was not robbing the mid-field - as demonstrated by his stats from his soph and half of junior year - but whether it had a detrimental effect on Epstein.

So we have arrived at question #1 for 2022 IMO - A third team AA in his freshman year averaged 4.5 pts per game and was the darling of the Hopkins fan base. In 2021 he was rotated to a new role and saw his pts per game production cut in HALF - 2.7 pts per game. In addition there was the much ballyhooed kerfluffle where he did not start a game. Some speculate that he has not really totally recovered from his injury prior to the 2020 season. What is his outlook on Johns Hopkins and where does he fit in? Does he want the keys back to the car? Is he buying what Junior and PM are selling? Does the DeSimone decision - no matter who makes it - help determine his path? One thing - I don't think he would like a McDermott at X option - not because he has anything against McDermott but he would think he is the better option.

Does Grimes shoot better on the run than Degnon? I don't know. I might hedge towards Grimes at lefty attack because you would hope to have him for 3 years - and Degnon could theoretically be gone after next.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm Federico was close to 6ft, if I'm not mistaken...I'm 5'11.5 and I think he was taller than me. I certainly always had that impression playing against him in lax, and later on the squash court etc. Very, very athletic as well.

Equal explosive quickness, length helps in all sorts of ways.
Footwork covers further, reach covers further.

Size has become increasingly helpful as the game has evolved; showing less white space has always been a plus...assuming you can move that size. But as there are more shooters who can rip it and more shots from closer mid-range, size helps. (none of the physical qualities is more important than the head, though)

Just re-watched a bit of the 1980 Championship, Michael had a really wonderful game, in and out of the goal. The difference that day for sure.
Memories are fading in the twilight I guess. I'm 5'11" and had a thought Piggy wasn't taller than me. The save on Caravana was the greatest save I ever saw - no way that shot doesn't go in. Quinn was unbelievable but nobody has Michael's resume.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:24 pm
a fan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:53 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:26 pm There are only so many offensive players on the roster who have demonstrated any ability to produce.
It's this exact reasoning I'd use to keep the three freshman on one middie line....it worked, and Milliman spent the whole season trying to find combinations that worked.

Degnon, that Doc, mentioned is the perfect choice to move to attack given the other pieces....his accuracy, to put it politely, goes way down when his feet are moving. Drop him to attack where he can be the 10-15 yard plant-feet-shoot passing option when the other players draw a slide. Keep the kid who can shoot from the outside on the field to keep the D from packing in.

One thing I've learned this season is that the teams without at least two outside shooters struggle mightily. You need them in the shot clock era.

We'll see. I'm sure Milliman will choose what's best.
That's fair. I mentioned Degnon as an option to move to attack. I'm quite certain that spot on the left side will be filled either by him or Grimes, with Chauvette being a very dark horse. What happens at X and on the right side is the bigger question if DeSimone does not return.
Agreed. Congrats on what I thought was a fun seasons, and new chapter for your program. One fun thing I got from watching Epstein stand up for his teammates, chirping at UMd players as the halftime buzzer rang...that sure doesn't look like a guy looking to transfer.

.....and thank you for indulging my comments.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:53 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:50 pm Federico was close to 6ft, if I'm not mistaken...I'm 5'11.5 and I think he was taller than me. I certainly always had that impression playing against him in lax, and later on the squash court etc. Very, very athletic as well.

Size has become increasingly helpful as the game has evolved; showing less white space has always been a plus...assuming you can move that size. But as there are more shooters who can rip it and more shots from closer mid-range, size helps. (none of the physical qualities is more important than the head, though)

Just re-watched a bit of the 1980 Championship, Michael had a really wonderful game, in and out of the goal. The difference that day for sure.
Memories are fading in the twilight I guess. I'm 5'11" and had a thought Piggy wasn't taller than me. The save on Caravana was the greatest save I ever saw - no way that shot doesn't go in. Quinn was unbelievable but nobody has Michael's resume.
Quinns save on Nelson in 84. Best save I've ever seen when all the chips were down.

.....we're talking about old times....must be the offseason, fellas...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Quinns save on Nelson in 84. Best save I've ever seen when all the chips were down.

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm I think the only possible downside to switching DeSimone to the X role - the role he is clearly best suited for - was not robbing the mid-field - as demonstrated by his stats from his soph and half of junior year - but whether it had a detrimental effect on Epstein.

So we have arrived at question #1 for 2022 IMO - A third team AA in his freshman year averaged 4.5 pts per game and was the darling of the Hopkins fan base. In 2021 he was rotated to a new role and saw his pts per game production cut in HALF - 2.7 pts per game. In addition there was the much ballyhooed kerfluffle where he did not start a game. Some speculate that he has not really totally recovered from his injury prior to the 2020 season. What is his outlook on Johns Hopkins and where does he fit in? Does he want the keys back to the car? Is he buying what Junior and PM are selling? Does the DeSimone decision - no matter who makes it - help determine his path? One thing - I don't think he would like a McDermott at X option - not because he has anything against McDermott but he would think he is the better option.
keeping it in mind it doesn't have to be an either or option. with a full offseason, your o coordinator certainly could work in pairs and picks behind between them, rotating x man and any number of options.

epstein has the ability to be a deceptive feeder from anywhere, including up top. he did show at a number of points in the season that he was either banged up or a step short. his explosive moves in the 2nd quarter belied that if for a moment.

if they want to, they could work it out.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hey, if you knew Michael, did you ever ask him about that incredible save he made on Caravana in Overtime?
I was there that day and I thought the game was over when Caravana wound up for that shot just off the crease. What an unbelievable save!
I think UVA was just shell shocked after that. They just kind of stood there and watched Mike come out of the goal and recover the ball.
I still recall the OT winner too. The ball seemed to literally hang in Harris' stick. I swear time froze. But if you look at the replay, it's just a quick stick, lightning fast. I don't think that game would have been even close though if Rads and Cookie had been healthy and playing. Awesome defense and goal tending on that 80 team.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:11 pm Larry Quinn was tall. 2x POY. 2x MVP tourney only played two years because an AA was ahead of him tho he was the better goalie.

Navy probably wins a title if Russell didn’t play the final against Cuse unable to lift his injured arm above his shoulder
The fans were screaming for Quinn ever since his freshman year when he came in in a driving rainstorm to bail out the starter in a playoff game against, you guessed it, Maryland. I think Hop was down 0-6 when he came in in relief and the Jays ended up winning. Great performance. Not sure Quinn could have made much difference in the 82 Title game, but if he had been starting in the 83 NC, I seriously doubt Cuse could have put up 17 goals on him. I think we would have had that title too with Larry in goal.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

a fan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:24 pm

Alas, it is for us. Your Orange still are almost certain to have at least one more game.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Woukd of could have but agree the 83 title game has a different outcome. Agree also Quinn save on Nelson tho there have been a lot of great saves.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-I watched the big east stuff this weekend, the patriot league stuff, the caa, these are supposed to be the best of their conferences in the biggest games and I would rate deso and epstein 1/2 in terms of attackmen that pressured the opposition after saves/turnovers/missed shots. Deso and epstein spent the spring running harder in these situations than anyone I saw on any field outside of our goalies after shots out of bounds. Marcille in particular did the bobby orr after the goal flying through the air so many times a game I wondered if he'd have a rib issue. Whatever the off the field theatrics and histrionics it didn't result in a decline in effort.
-I've been skeptical on the no fall ball stuff, but watching the improvement the last few weeks it really makes you wonder where this season could have gone if PM and co had been given the fall to work with the program hands on, why there weren't more questions raised at the time and if Petro and Margraff (RIP) and other veteran coaches had been around if there would've been a better chance we would've seen the field. I realize the school benchmarks itself heavily against the ivies, but duke and uva are also in that conversation and they played this fall and winter. In Petro's exit there was a big deal made about the lack of administrative support and I'm sure he would've worked intensively behind the scenes to get fall ball 2020.
-there was a big deal made last week about greeley, brown and others ripping the team on its social media, Ranagan had a nice show of support yesterday and 18 of course was there.
-It's been notable to me that carc and anish, big time cuse cheerleaders who ripped into PM w/out doing any reporting have been extremely muted on Desko and syracuse, a story which looks worse and worse by the day for that university. IL which also ripped PM twice looks atrocious running the on the record quote from scanlans father, and quint in particular went after his alma mater and has been silent on desko. I realize this isn't bernstein and woodward, but there are strong facts that cuse and desko chose the player over the process and the lax bro commentators have been silent and when there weren't facts and reporting about PM and epstein they went after our program.
-If you didn't hear evan washburn do the patriot league game over the weekend, he did a wonderful job, crisp, polished, informative. ESPN considers lacrosse to be their thing but the best lacrosse voices-tessitore, washburn, ryan boyle, aren't their studs.
-congrats to loyola, rutgers and maryland on the tournament. Rutgers was ready in feb, and those kids have waited a long time for this chance.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

As far as Cuse and Scanlon - I think the sounds of silence from the talking heads probably has more to do with the issue rather than jumping on Hopkins vs. Syracuse. Making a big misstep on a possible abuse issue could get you fired - popping off on what a coach said about a player in an onlibe publication is 3 swings for a dollar with no repercussions. But you are right '06 - the differences are noticeable.
- I like Washburn as well and still think someone shuld hire the Ohio State player that did the BIG+ broadcast - There's someone that knows the game without sounding like an idiot
- Terps got a little bit screwed last night - #3 seed and then having to go out to South bend for the Quarters if they beat Vermont - theoretically possible their road is ND/Duke/UNC or UVA - thanks for the gumball Popeye
- While the Quinn save was more acrobatic - and certainly came at a key moment - you can't say for sure Syracuse would have completed the comeback. What you can say with 100% certainty is that if Michael Federico was not between the pipes in that moment in 1980 - UVA has one more national title.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:43 am
- While the Quinn save was more acrobatic - and certainly came at a key moment - you can't say for sure Syracuse would have completed the comeback. What you can say with 100% certainty is that if Michael Federico was not between the pipes in that moment in 1980 - UVA has one more national title.
And also,
no Tim Nelson, he got hurt early.

Still a real tough call on which play to take as the
top play.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 pm -I've been skeptical on the no fall ball stuff, but watching the improvement the last few weeks it really makes you wonder where this season could have gone if PM and co had been given the fall to work with the program hands on, why there weren't more questions raised at the time and if Petro and Margraff (RIP) and other veteran coaches had been around if there would've been a better chance we would've seen the field. I realize the school benchmarks itself heavily against the ivies, but duke and uva are also in that conversation and they played this fall and winter. In Petro's exit there was a big deal made about the lack of administrative support and I'm sure he would've worked intensively behind the scenes to get fall ball 2020.
This is one of your more outlandish ramblings, 06. The president of the United States could not have forced Hopkins to open the campus in the fall if it didn't want to—let alone a lacrosse coach. Lacrosse was not a factor in the decision and that would not have remotely changed under a different regime. They made a public health call—feel free to disagree with it—but "what about men's lax scrimmaging Albany on a rainy October day at Boys Latin???" was not a consideration.

FYI, the team WAS given special treatment, to some degree. They were allowed to return to campus and start training the first week of January. Regular students weren't brought back to campus until a few weeks after that. The campus didn't officially "open" again till the second half of the month, but the lax team had been there already weeks prior.

I do, however, completely agree with your point about the ESPN guys.

Anyway, this is all in the past....let's look forward to 2022.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Never thought I'd be saying this, but one real roster management/ possible attrition issue next year is SSDM. Not counting the incoming freshmen, you've got 11 guys who have either seen time or were slated into that position, only one of which (Shure) was a senior. 20% of the existing roster. Assuming Martin is going to get a lot of run for 3 more years, that's a lot of guys for not much PT. Its a good problem to have and pretty unusual for JHU.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

On filling Williams role at A, I think before this year Grimes would have been the automatic answer but now I'm not so sure. Hard to say how much of this was lack of practice time (and not having played a competitive game for over 2 years), but he looked more comfortable working from up top/ in front of goal at the end of the year than he did operating from the wing at the beginning. I'd be tempted to keep him at M and keep the McDermott/Peshko/Grimes line intact. I also think that a Williams-type is not necessarily the best fit for what Milliman has done in the past on offense. The Cornell offenses tended to have two initiators at X/wing and a great finisher on the crease. Not sure what JGJ prefers.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am Never thought I'd be saying this, but one real roster management/ possible attrition issue next year is SSDM. Not counting the incoming freshmen, you've got 11 guys who have either seen time or were slated into that position, only one of which (Shure) was a senior. 20% of the existing roster. Assuming Martin is going to get a lot of run for 3 more years, that's a lot of guys for not much PT. Its a good problem to have and pretty unusual for JHU.
Should breed healthy competition. Assuming a 4-man SSDM rotation I think you can pencil Martin and Jaronski in for two of the spots while the others are up in the air. Possible they put Jaronski back at LSM if they are more comfortable with the SSDM situation but if we're getting Fernandez back and/or Delaney returns, may not need him there anymore. Zinn, with a normal offseason I wonder if they try him back on offense again—he showed flashes as a two-way middie but he may have been there out of necessity after Mabbett went down.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am Never thought I'd be saying this, but one real roster management/ possible attrition issue next year is SSDM. Not counting the incoming freshmen, you've got 11 guys who have either seen time or were slated into that position, only one of which (Shure) was a senior. 20% of the existing roster. Assuming Martin is going to get a lot of run for 3 more years, that's a lot of guys for not much PT. Its a good problem to have and pretty unusual for JHU.
As I said earlier this spring it's a bad look for the ivies and hopkins when the billy bobs and mary sues in the SEC could figure out how to play last july and we couldn't do it last fall. This isn't the political thread and I don't want to go there, but there was not enough open mindedness here and it's fair to wonder if Petro, Margraff (RIP), schnydman and more of the veteran coaches and administrators who've departed school in recent years were around would they have been able to have more pull in trying to get athletics to have a normal year.

what was gained from the 2 maryland games 2 b1g tournament wins
-PM narrative moved from, handed a rough deck to this guy can win next year w/more time
-recruits and transfers looking at this less of a rebuilding project to more of an ncaa tournament opportunity. especially for the transfers who might have just a year or two. I don't have a list of b1g/historic rivals stars we play who can't come back next year but I would imagine a lot of our rivals will be decimated by graduation.
-renewed faith among alumni in program
-2nd midfield of all frosh showed they can be the future
-jameson showed he can game plan against elite tournament teams
-ssdm group had one of their best showings over the last decade. jaronski, lilly, martin, my man zinn grew up.
-marcille
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Usually I find myself agreeing with alot of what you have to say '16 but I'll disagree on this one point - I wouldn't even put that post in the Top 25 of "06's outlandish ramblings :lol:

In terms of 2022 - does anyone have anything to say about this recruiting class other than the 5* Todaro?
Highlight tapes are not a good judge of anything really but I would be lying to say I never looked at them - some physical observations:
- Reen/Hicks/Teachout have size for a midfielder - of that there would seem to be little question - speed is harder to judge given competition but alot of comments say they are fast
- Kaufman is one of those that get all those comments about "high ceilings and tremendous upside" all you can say for sure is that he is one long rangy kid
- Callahan received a very high grade from IL evaluation but there was a comment that this was before the rule changes on face-offs (I an inferring he was using motorcycle/knee down etc.)
- Phillips is from BC - has played extensive box - stick skills seem to be evident - It would be nice if he were great friends with the kid from Trinity Pawling that shoots 102
- The two former Cornell commits at attack - seems reasonable to me to see why they were recruited - Wong has a quick release

Question on the Florida defensman Whitaker - he's listed on the 2021 list but it also says he was reclassified to a 22 on his Il page - PGing?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:11 am As I said earlier this spring it's a bad look for the ivies and hopkins when the billy bobs and mary sues in the SEC could figure out how to play last july and we couldn't do it last fall. This isn't the political thread and I don't want to go there, but there was not enough open mindedness here and it's fair to wonder if Petro, Margraff (RIP), schnydman and more of the veteran coaches and administrators who've departed school in recent years were around would they have been able to have more pull in trying to get athletics to have a normal year.
Apologies HF16 - now we're back in the Top 20. Please tell me what Baker and Daniels would have done if the Hopkins football coach had asked for a "normal" year. "Ah gee Greg that's really nice - unfortunately YOU HAVE NO ONE TO PLAY!!!"
It's a mildly interesting but useless question to ask that since Petro and Dwan were Timonium-ites - could they have arranged for more covert inter-actions in Roland Park or something (that's a joke) but given that the State was essenitally closed, the University was definitely closed and most of the kids don't reside in Baltimore the answer to your question is NO and Hell NO and its not fair to wonder. Why you bring up the SEC is Top 5 in your wanderings.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”