Atlantic Article

D1 Mens Lacrosse
blue angels

Re: Atlantic Article

Post by blue angels »

Antonio114 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm Lars Tiffany is making those comments when one of the best players in his tenure at Virginia is from Fairfield county, Michael Kraus. Of course Kraus is (I believe) a Starsia recruit and he is also gone now. However Xander Dickson, if the IL page is correct, is also from Fairfield county, or at least he went to a prep school there. He was also threatening to transfer this season after sitting out due to injury. Wonder how he feels about these comments? In a sense I agree with Lars, but it's quite the statement to put out there for an immensely popular news outlet with your name clearly attached to it.
Stop!!!You completely missed the point. ......... Lars isn't bashing Fairfield county.....He stated that was a "stereotype" that he and his staff don't buy into as they try not to focus on where a kid comes from. However, they do expect more from kids coming from the hotbeds who have had great coaching vs a similar player who may not be as refined a product that they feel has more upside with good coaching. That makes perfect sense.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:09 pm Lars Tiffany is making those comments when one of the best players in his tenure at Virginia is from Fairfield county, Michael Kraus. Of course Kraus is (I believe) a Starsia recruit and he is also gone now. However Xander Dickson, if the IL page is correct, is also from Fairfield county, or at least he went to a prep school there. He was also threatening to transfer this season after sitting out due to injury. Wonder how he feels about these comments? In a sense I agree with Lars, but it's quite the statement to put out there for an immensely popular news outlet with your name clearly attached to it.
Stop!!!You completely missed the point. ......... Lars isn't bashing Fairfield county.....He stated that was a "stereotype" that he and his staff don't buy into as they try not to focus on where a kid comes from. However, they do expect more from kids coming from the hotbeds who have had great coaching vs a similar player who may not be as refined a product that they feel has more upside with good coaching. That makes perfect sense.
It’s a stereotype and some coaches didn’t really recruit much out of CT. Lars wasn’t one of them. He has had plenty of Fairfield County guys over the years.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:39 pm Amid the shifting norms, there’s a growing sense of unease among suburban parents in niche-sport hubs—a dread that they went too far, failed to read the room. And they’re not wrong. “It’s easy to stereotype the Fairfield County player,” says Lars Tiffany, the men’s varsity-lacrosse coach at the University of Virginia. “The Fairfield County player is the rich kid who still has his umbilical cord connected: the kid who doesn’t really have to take ownership of his mistakes or actions.” Tiffany insists he doesn’t buy in to such broad-brush stereotypes. “We try not to care where they’re from,” he says. And yet, “if they’re from a hotbed, there’s an expectation level.”

He elaborates: “Do I hold the Fairfield County lacrosse player to a higher standard? Of course. You just know he’s been coached up. So flash-forward to me watching a [high school] junior on the lacrosse field. The thought is going through my brain that I like his skill set but there’s room for growth. But then I think, Wait. He’s already had a lot of people working on these things. He’s a little tapped out. Maybe I’ll take a player from Northern California or Texas. Someone who hasn’t been exposed to such elite coaching. Someone whose best lacrosse could be ahead of him. You try to tell yourself not to overanalyze, but you do.”
Although Lars professes not to believe it, the implication is that FC kids are soft. He should get himself to a Darien-New Canaan football game. It's actually hard to reconcile how kids with so much play with absolutely reckless abandon. Connecticut kids are usually the meanest (and some of the most skilled) players on any field, be it football or lacrosse. The NC-Hand state ship game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH3F35lptyw&t=44s) from a few years back comes to mind as a good example.

Are they higher maintenance than any other kid that age? I doubt it. Give me a Connecticut kid any day of the week. If I were Lars, my roster would be stocked with them.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

uh oh. i smell a skills/toughness/rich/not-rich lax debate brewing.

didn't see that coming.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

blue angels wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:12 pm
You are probably right. But still it does seem to suggest that when he has a kid who he brought on campus from that area, despite the extra expectations of being from a hot bed, the thought of the kids background might be on his mind if they do not show results right away. The Kraus comment I made was definitely off base in hindsight, but is a kid like Dickson who seems on the borderline of getting significant minutes or riding the bench, worried that Lars will think his ceiling has already been reached based on these comments? When I think about it more they still seem to kind of toe the line between acknowledging the existence of the stereotype and putting stock into it on some level.
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

UVA's current captain (2x) and undisputed leader of the team is from Fairfield County.

“The captain embodies everything that is expected of the role. Lead by example? Check that box – John gives the most honest of efforts. Good luck beating this man to the training or locker rooms for a morning session. Concern for others? Empathy abounds in this man – John attends to his teammates needs before his own. Team first? Nothing gets in the way of the team’s mission – John will never sacrifice our program’s objectives and priorities. “....just don't trip over his umbilical cord :D

My suggestion. If you don't believe or ascribe to stereotypes, don't repeat them.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:40 pm uh oh. i smell a skills/toughness/rich/not-rich lax debate brewing.

didn't see that coming.
:D It's perpetual. ;)
Watch out, MIAA getting it in the neck next.

It's a stereotype, guys, one that Lars clearly says he doesn't buy...which doesn't mean that one can't find examples of 'soft' players or players stuck on the 'umbilical cord' or full of themselves, entitled etc out of these regions...of course you can.

But those 'soft' players (from wherever) rarely separate themselves out of the pack, which is all that Lars has been recruiting for many years, whether at Brown or at UVA.

What he does say about kids from hotbed regions is that when he's evaluating them versus non hotbed region kids, they need to already have the rough edges smoothed out, the decision making on the field needs to be first rate, the stick skills smooth etc, else he's wondering why not...of course, if a kid came into lax as a ninth grader in a hotbed and otherwise impresses, he may be seen much like a non hotbed kid. That all makes plenty of sense.

Again, Lars isn't recruiting the so-so players out of hotbeds.
And, so, his rosters have been full of strong players from strong programs from hotbed regions.
Indeed, the bulk would be described as such.
socalref

Post by socalref »

JBFortunato wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:18 pm Although Lars professes not to believe it, the implication is that FC kids are soft. He should get himself to a Darien-New Canaan football game. It's actually hard to reconcile how kids with so much play with absolutely reckless abandon. Connecticut kids are usually the meanest (and some of the most skilled) players on any field, be it football or lacrosse. The NC-Hand state ship game (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH3F35lptyw&t=44s) from a few years back comes to mind as a good example.

Are they higher maintenance than any other kid that age? I doubt it. Give me a Connecticut kid any day of the week. If I were Lars, my roster would be stocked with them.
New Canaan and Darien give you prep school kids without the tuition. Entitlement runs deep in that hot bed. Solid lacrosse players and the legacy of Coach Benedict is strong, but pick and choose with caution because you need to know what you're inviting into your program when you're recruiting these kids. Lars is not wrong.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

First and foremost, sounds like they need better protective gear in fencing!

Regarding coaches recruiting “non-club” lacrosse players... very difficult seeing most high school seasons parallel the college season, so college coaches have a difficult time trying to watch players in person during the spring. Hence the recruiting circuit in summer and fall with club and showcases. Pretty much the same with basketball, soccer, etc.

I like Lars’ straight forward approach and speech, agree with those who interpreted his comments as such and not negative.

My opinion, all these lax “hotbeds” are pretty much the same. All types of players, tough, soft, skilled, spoiled, exceptional, rough, potential, all shapes and sizes. Fairfield County, MIAA, Long Island, Florida, Cali... Florida starting to turn out some good players, anyone check out some of the money and privilege down there? There are just a lot more kids playing the game in the Northeast so you see more examples of whatever you want to.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

The article is about the parents basking-in-the-reflected-glow of their kids; a sort of "keeping up with Jones's."

Lots of coaches won't recruit players whose parents are like this because 1) it's a headache, and 2) the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

There's no way the 80th best midfielder in the nation lands you on the bottom of the roster at Bates. This is about parents wanting to brag about their kid playing lacrosse at School X, which is also an elite school. It's not about the kids. It's about the parents.

That FC parent talking about her kid...she and her husband are probably the reason the kid didn't get offers from the Ivy they wanted their kid to attend. They won't let their kid "slum it" at Loyola because that doesn't move the need at the Greenwich Club.

What happened to just wanting your kid to play with the kids he/she grew up with on their high school team? Remember how fun that was?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm The article is about the parents basking-in-the-reflected-glow of their kids; a sort of "keeping up with Jones's."

Lots of coaches won't recruit players whose parents are like this because 1) it's a headache, and 2) the apple rarely falls far from the tree.

There's no way the 80th best midfielder in the nation lands you on the bottom of the roster at Bates. This is about parents wanting to brag about their kid playing lacrosse at School X, which is also an elite school. It's not about the kids. It's about the parents.

That FC parent talking about her kid...she and her husband are probably the reason the kid didn't get offers from the Ivy they wanted their kid to attend. They won't let their kid "slum it" at Loyola because that doesn't move the need at the Greenwich Club.

What happened to just wanting your kid to play with the kids he/she grew up with on their high school team? Remember how fun that was?
Lots of parents out there that are obnoxious and are living through their kids, that article is not a good look...but there are good parents out there too.

No reason to spend 10k on summer club lacrosse in a year...that's crazy. Sounds to me like these folks are with the wrong club...16 showcases...that's overkill...come on

My two sons played club, we traveled east a couple weekends each summer (from a non hotbed spot)...it was fun, we had a blast, they were like weekend vacations. Getting the opportunity to play lacrosse at the next level certainly was part of the equation for my guys, but if it never happened, those trips would still be carried as cherished time with my boys...it's about expectations and letting kids make decisions on where they want to go to school...it's there choice...parents can advise, offer advice...but the kid should have final say...

When it's the kids decision, it generally has better results...both my guys are very happy where they're at right now...
Surfs_Up

Post by Surfs_Up »

Totally agree with Laxfan. My kid did the summer gauntlet of travel from a non hotbed. He loves it. We had great times, good meals and memories. He got D1 offers , but even if he didn’t, he loved the time he played out East in some of the best tournaments out there.

I have another one rising. I hope he wants to do it, but if he doesn’t that’s ok too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:30 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 pm The article is about the parents basking-in-the-reflected-glow of their kids; a sort of "keeping up with Jones's."

Lots of parents out there that are obnoxious and are living through their kids, that article is not a good look...but there are good parents out there too.

No reason to spend 10k on summer club lacrosse in a year...that's crazy. Sounds to me like these folks are with the wrong club...16 showcases...that's overkill...come on

My two sons played club, we traveled east a couple weekends each summer (from a non hotbed spot)...it was fun, we had a blast, they were like weekend vacations. Getting the opportunity to play lacrosse at the next level certainly was part of the equation for my guys, but if it never happened, those trips would still be carried as cherished time with my boys...it's about expectations and letting kids make decisions on where they want to go to school...it's there choice...parents can advise, offer advice...but the kid should have final say...

When it's the kids decision, it generally has better results...both my guys are very happy where they're at right now...
+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
bauer4429

Post by bauer4429 »

Gotta say I have a hard time feeling sorry for the rich elite in this article. They pay anywhere from $50,000 to $100,000 in initiation fees at country clubs to wall themselves off from middle and lower income families.
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

From Inside Lacrosse here is the UVA 2022 recruiting class:

Manhasset Secondary School - very affluent NYC suburb
5 private school
Ridgefield High School - Fairfield County
Riverside High School in VA - I don't know the school or area

All of the kids played for big clubs - Express, 91, etc

I guess they will round out the roster with the boys from TX and CA.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

I'm still stuck on the 10k a year for travel. My oldest son has played travel for the past 6 years or so...and the most we've spent is 2k a year, and I frankly think that's an absurd amount. I don't know what program charges 10k a year...but this is pretty consistent from what I've found. For example, the Annapolis Hawks run that, etc.

The other thing is the idea that "investing" in a travel team experience with an eye towards an outcome like college is stupid. You're paying so your kid can get coaching they can't get in youth programs, and paying to play in tournaments where the face generally better competition than they normally may face. If your kid is good enough to play D1, they'll get found.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Read the opening post, and saw at end- attended 16 showcases. Just wow.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I think that the story of the family paying $110,000 for coaching and clubs but not understanding the athleticism of DI lacrosse is questionable. However, if you speak to enough people, and find someone with a lot of excess cash, I guess it's possible.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:04 am I think that the story of the family paying $110,000 for coaching and clubs but not understanding the athleticism of DI lacrosse is questionable. However, if you speak to enough people, and find someone with a lot of excess cash, I guess it's possible.
Yeah...go watch a high level D1 game at field level and you'll find out pretty quick what kind of athlete you need to be to even see the field...not sure how you don't understand that going in...lacrosse players train just as hard as football players...it's non-stop year round...they are all crazy good athletes...some better than others, sure...but by rule, if you're on a D1 roster, you're an elite level athlete...
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

faircornell wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:04 am I think that the story of the family paying $110,000 for coaching and clubs but not understanding the athleticism of DI lacrosse is questionable. However, if you speak to enough people, and find someone with a lot of excess cash, I guess it's possible.
Yeah...go watch a high level D1 game at field level and you'll find out pretty quick what kind of athlete you need to be to even see the field...not sure how you don't understand that going in...lacrosse players train just as hard as football players...it's non-stop year round...they are all crazy good athletes...some better than others, sure...but by rule, if you're on a D1 roster, you're an elite level athlete...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”