2021 Cancellations

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JumboFan4

Re: 2021 Cancellations

Post by JumboFan4 »

This is a pretty wild thought, but is there any chance that we could see some interdivisional play?
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Dave wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am I'm guessing most D3 schools will be cobbling together a schedule based on staying in state, and that conference play won't be happening....just a guess. In CT for example, you have Trinity, Wesleyan, Conn, and CGA all within a stone's throw - I'll be they figure something like that out. Maine has Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, St. Joe's....hope these kids have some sort of season - but I doubt it will be full conference play....
Dave - good point, but in the fall we saw mostly the opposite. Prior to fully postponing seasons, many conferences eliminated non-conference play. The double edged sword was that they also restricted overnight travel. In the NCAC for example, Wabash and DePauw have the premier D3 football game in the country, but it's also their only conference game that doesn't normally require an overnight. So, were they to play a one game season, or play the same day after a 3-5 hour drive?

Promoting in-state play (or within a max radius) makes some sense.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

LILaxGuy08 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:49 pm D3 Winter Sports are starting to cancel all competition:

NEWMAC
https://www.newmacsports.com/general/20 ... 1019gv93q8

SUNYAC
https://sunyacsports.com/general/2020-2 ... 1019lptsbh

GNAC
https://www.thegnac.com/general/2020-21 ... 1102ikhwjm

UFAA
https://uaasports.info/sports/general/2 ... rstatement

I would assume more to come.

What does that mean for the spring?
Liberty League, too. Just read it on the Ithaca College website.
oldlaxjunkie

Post by oldlaxjunkie »

I hope i am wrong but seeing whats going on with record number of COVID cases daily i dont think we are going to have a lax season again this year. I assume the NESCAC will be the first conf to shut it down, maybe the Ivys in D1. i REALLY do hope i am wrong BUT look at the news folks, it dont look good.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

oldlaxjunkie wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm I hope i am wrong but seeing whats going on with record number of COVID cases daily i dont think we are going to have a lax season again this year. I assume the NESCAC will be the first conf to shut it down, maybe the Ivys in D1. i REALLY do hope i am wrong BUT look at the news folks, it dont look good.
Hockey East starting play this Friday.

And in any event, you are talking positive tests (I assume). What about hospitalizations/deaths?
oldlaxjunkie

Post by oldlaxjunkie »

i was talking about positive tests, but i believe hospitalizations are up as well.
viper

Post by viper »

oldlaxjunkie wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:25 am i was talking about positive tests, but i believe hospitalizations are up as well.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Yesterday alone....

142,906 new cases (highest daily count in the US since the start of the pandemic)
1479 deaths

Maybe a 1-2% death rate is viewed as "not so bad" to some, but you can't look at that number without considering the absolute numbers.

In 2019-2020 there were 38,000,000 flue cases and 22,000 deaths per https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
In just over 1/4 the cases (10,716,554) of COVID in the US there has been more than 10 times the number of deaths (247,458). Even if the death rate for COVID in the US is now down to 1% (debatable), that means there will be another 280,000 deaths for a total over 520,000 dead if the total cases rise to 38,000,000.

Enjoy your lacrosse (as I do), but please wear a mask and social distance....
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

Ivy league just canceled winter sports

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -covid-19/
nehslaxfan

Post by nehslaxfan »

Yes but in the statement they express the desire for spring sports to be played which is positive.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

nehslaxfan wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:03 pm Yes but in the statement they express the desire for spring sports to be played which is positive.
We all have a "desire" for Spring sports. I had a "desire" for Fall sports. Look where that got us...
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Lacrosse reclassified from High COVID-19 risk to Medium.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... -19-spread

This news, combined with the incredible 90%+ effectiveness rate of the Pfizer vaccine, gives me hope we might have somewhat of a D3 lacrosse season. Seems logical the conferences should postpone their seasons until late March or early April, when it is expected a great deal of the public will have received a vaccination. Then play two games per week, start tournament play in middle or late May, and crown in champion a week or two into June (around the time baseball usually finishes).

Fingers crossed. Now is not the time to cancel spring sports. We might be in much better shape with this virus come April.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Unknown Participant wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:36 pm
oldlaxjunkie wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm I hope i am wrong but seeing whats going on with record number of COVID cases daily i dont think we are going to have a lax season again this year. I assume the NESCAC will be the first conf to shut it down, maybe the Ivys in D1. i REALLY do hope i am wrong BUT look at the news folks, it dont look good.
Hockey East starting play this Friday.

And in any event, you are talking positive tests (I assume). What about hospitalizations/deaths?
My bad, Hockey East starting plays next weekend, but I watched Wisconsin hockey play last night and Michigan-ASU tonight so perhaps there is hope.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Great news today out of the ODAC, looks like winter and spring sports are a go:

https://odac.prestosports.com/general/2 ... g-semester
laxdad9939

Post by laxdad9939 »

Yes, that was great news. Not sure what other ODAC schools are doing, but VWU has started a campaign to raise money to offset the NCAA required COVID testing. #helpusplay

This was posted on vwu.edu/helpusplay
"In following the protocols set by the NCAA for return to action in January 2021, the University will be required to test student-athletes for COVID-19 up to three times a week, possibly more. Testing expenses are the responsibility of each individual school."
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Gettysburg is bringing students back to campus in the spring. No word from the Centennial Conference on athletics as of yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Dave wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 am I'm guessing most D3 schools will be cobbling together a schedule based on staying in state, and that conference play won't be happening....just a guess. In CT for example, you have Trinity, Wesleyan, Conn, and CGA all within a stone's throw - I'll be they figure something like that out. Maine has Bates, Bowdoin, Colby, St. Joe's....hope these kids have some sort of season - but I doubt it will be full conference play....
Dave - good point, but in the fall we saw mostly the opposite. Prior to fully postponing seasons, many conferences eliminated non-conference play. The double edged sword was that they also restricted overnight travel. In the NCAC for example, Wabash and DePauw have the premier D3 football game in the country, but it's also their only conference game that doesn't normally require an overnight. So, were they to play a one game season, or play the same day after a 3-5 hour drive?

Promoting in-state play (or within a max radius) makes some sense.
I'm pretty familiar with the Monon Bell game, but I wouldn't state exactly that it's "the premier D3 football game" as there's one in Minny, Williams-Amherst, Ithaca-Cortland and a couple of others as big or bigger. But certainly a fun and old rivarly for sure.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”